PDA

View Full Version : why are we handling Trent with "kid gloves"

venis2k1
02-21-2009, 10:19 AM
"Finding an experienced backup, that knows his role, is actually a way to help Trent (and the team) not to threaten him with competition." - Chris Brown

“I think it’d be good to have a veteran behind Trent that knows his role and can help Trent in the room,” - Turk Schonert

can someone please explain to me why we dont want to bring in a guy that can compete in camp with trent for the starting QB role? Granted i know there isnt a whole lot of talent out there in FA. But i would have no problem telling guys like Leftwich and Garcia the job is his if he can win it in Training camp. Are we afraid of hurting trents feelings? If he is afraid of cometition he is in the wrong business.

This isnt an anti-Trent post, in fact i like him very much. But the fact is he is very injury prone, missing time in each of his last 6 seasons. And when he has played he shows alot of promise and at times looks VERY good. But in my mind has proven nothing to say this is his team.

Nighthawk
02-21-2009, 10:22 AM
"Finding an experienced backup, that knows his role, is actually a way to help Trent (and the team) not to threaten him with competition." - Chris Brown

“I think it’d be good to have a veteran behind Trent that knows his role and can help Trent in the room,” - Turk Schonert

can someone please explain to me why we dont want to bring in a guy that can compete in camp with trent for the starting QB role? Granted i know there isnt a whole lot of talent out there in FA. But i would have no problem telling guys like Leftwich and Garcia the job is his if he can win it in Training camp. Are we afraid of hurting trents feelings? If he is afraid of cometition he is in the wrong business.

This isnt an anti-Trent post, in fact i like him very much. But the fact is he is very injury prone, missing time in each of his last 6 seasons. And when he has played he shows alot of promise and at times looks VERY good. But in my mind has proven nothing to say this is his team.

I can understand why they want to make Trent feel comfortable and not press. However, I'm with you, they need to not only bring a veteran QB, but one that can actually win for this team if Trent faulters.

trapezeus
02-21-2009, 08:43 PM
there are two ways to read this. one being that they are using kid gloves with him and two that they've had the guy who thinks he has a chance to win it and becomes a distraction.

If you see it as one, chances are you don't like trent as a long term solution. That's cool beause he gets hurt and frankly fell apart in the middle of the last season. i think a whole lot of us want to see that jump in improvement next year or we'll go back to square 1....which is kind of where we are at rightnow anyways.

If you see it as 2, you do realize that its annoying to have a guy who sucks and talks the talk about wanting to be a starter and ruins the team with division and sporadic play that earns him the job one week and then gets him booted the next week. WE've seen alot of those guys in the last 9 years. Also if you see it in the second scenario, you are just desperate to stop the losing and really hope beyond rational thought that Trent is the man.

I am in this second category for better or for worse. They really just need a decent backup who can play half the season if need be, but also has half his foot into coaching during retirement.

SquishDaFish
02-21-2009, 08:45 PM
What do you expect with the coaches we have and have had.

venis2k1
03-03-2009, 07:17 AM
Cant believe Ryan Fitzpatrick is the answer for this one. In our last three home games, we scored 6 points COMBINED(trent starting two of three). And Ralph wonders why he is gonna have trouble selling tickets this year. Im just glad we didnt threaten trent with someone who can score more than 3 points in a game. Why mess with success?

mybills
03-03-2009, 07:23 AM
Have you seen my sig? :couch:

DraftBoy
03-03-2009, 07:24 AM
I read it the first way and I dont think Trent is the solution at QB.