PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to Jason Brown?

kernowboy
02-21-2009, 01:21 PM
I don't think we'll go after Jason Brown.

With millions invested in the Offensive Line and with Brown being the No1 Free agent at center commanding big money I simply think we will be outbid.

Alternatives are available though. Mention has been made of Birk, Saturday and Meester but for me they are all the wrong side of 30.

Jake Grove at 29, has recovered from micro fracture surgery of his knee and has apparently been playing well, but one guy who has slipped under the radar is:

Gregg Hangartner, Panthers.

Only 26, at 6ft5 and over 300lbs he has more than enough size to hold his own. Having backed up Jeff Mitchell, he was supposed to be the backup for Ryan Kalil but played extremely well when Kalil went down injured.

And he belies the notion that footballers are all muscle and no brains - he scored 47 in his wonderlic at the 2005 combine

Discuss

ddaryl
02-21-2009, 01:26 PM
I hope the Bills will make an effort to sign brown. I don't care how many millions are tied up on the OL the game is won and lost in the trenches, and with the NT's we face every year we can vastly improve our running game with a stud C....

but I beleive we will need ot look down the food chain for an upgrade... but I hold out hope for a guy like Jason Brown

I don't know much about Hangartner so I'll stay tuned and read what others post

kernowboy
02-21-2009, 01:32 PM
Opinion of MSN Foxsports

--C/G Geoff Hangartner (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player/300371) is a quality backup lineman who started as much as the regular starters due to injuries up and down the line. If the Panthers (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/carolina-panthers) re-sign Gross, then Hangartner will likely depart because there will be not starting spots open and he'll look to go somewhere he can start. He should command decent money in free agency.

And whilst Brown has excellent size, he has only started for one season !!

Slim
02-21-2009, 01:49 PM
The Jets are going to realese G Brandon Moore. While he's not a C. He's a pretty good guard. Although i doubt the Bills go after him.