• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PA Season Ticket Holder
    You mess up my night, and I'll mess up your day
    • Jul 2002

McMahon "never been" a football fan

SOUTH BEND, Ind. - Six years after retiring, Jim McMahon doesn't miss football. He misses coaches even less.

In fact, the only time the former Bears quarterback watches football is when his seventh-grade son plays. He went to the Super Bowl this year and didn't see a single play, choosing instead to socialize.

"I'm not a fan. I've never been a fan," McMahon told a crowd of about 470 people at a College Football Hall of Fame luncheon Thursday. "I liked playing."

McMahon never liked to practice. Not at college or the pros.

"Getting through the week is boring," he said.

McMahon made the week anything but boring. He made just as many headlines for his antics as for his big-play ability. He also had his share of run-ins with Bears coach Mike Ditka and BYU coach LaVell Edwards. He said he doesn't like the way coaches today are taking the game away from players.

"The coaches are trying to take more of a hands-on, this is the way it's got to be done," he said. "I don't think that's right. Especially in my position as a quarterback."

Even now, he still gets his shots in at Ditka, saying the Bears should have won more than one Super Bowl in the 1980s. Ditka's coaching style of making the team wear pads and hit during practices throughout the season is partially to blame, he said.

"I think we were tired," he said. "That wore us down."

BUFFALO BILLS AND MLB POOLS

http://www.billszone.com/YourSite/global/nfl/pool.php?action=home
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

McMahon has always been crazy..Super Bowl XX was the first game I ever saw and he was good...but his antics made him funny...all the stuff he pulled before the game and that.
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• PA Season Ticket Holder
      You mess up my night, and I'll mess up your day
      • Jul 2002

No wonder why he fell off the face of football earth so quick.

BUFFALO BILLS AND MLB POOLS

http://www.billszone.com/YourSite/global/nfl/pool.php?action=home

Comment

Working...
      X