PDA

View Full Version : Bills "covet" Owen Daniels

Italian Stallion
02-21-2009, 02:30 PM
Obviously this is just hearsay, but I saw it over at BB.com and figured id share.

http://www.eastcoastsportsnews.com/als09scoop.html

http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthread.php?t=119354

REMEMBER: Even though Daniels will surely be tendered at the highest level (1st and 3rd round comp.) by Houston, a trade could still be worked out for less or something different all together.

http://www.nfl.com/players/owendaniels/careerstats?id=DAN576298

Daniels made the Pro Bowl this past year, and in my opinion is a top 5 TE in the league right now. A package of a 2nd rounder and a player could work I believe, perhaps Parrish, Reed, Kelsay (LOL), McCargo (LOLOLOL)...okay well maybe not the last two.

Still I think Daniels would instantly possess the best hands on the team...yes including Lee Evans. Dude is that good.

Slim
02-21-2009, 02:32 PM
I saw this over at BB.com as well. I would LOVE Owen Daniels. But we would need to work out something that doesn't involve us losing our entire draft.

circlethewagons
02-21-2009, 02:32 PM
I love owen daniels, but wouldnt the texans want ridiculous compensation for him?

kernowboy
02-21-2009, 02:37 PM
Jeremy Shockey only cost a 2nd and 5th.

I'd offer the Ravens a 2nd for Todd Heap

Italian Stallion
02-21-2009, 02:37 PM
I love owen daniels, but wouldnt the texans want ridiculous compensation for him?

It's worth asking. Maybe a 2nd and Parrish?

I like Roscoe as much as the next guy, but sometimes you have to sacrifice something to improve in other areas.

Daniels is a COMPLETE TE and sacrificing a great PR and occasional slot WR with a overly-modest cap number would be something I'd do.

Slim
02-21-2009, 02:38 PM
A 2nd and 5th or 6th would do it.

Ickybaluky
02-21-2009, 02:40 PM
You just said you think he is a top 5 NFL TE. Given that, why would Houston deal him for a 2nd-round pick and some schmuck player?

that makes not sense. The guy is a good player, they are going to keep him unless some team signs him to an offer sheet they don't want to match. In that case, they take their 1st and 3rd and move on.

You can't compare it to Shockey, who the Giants were trying to get rid of. Why would Houston give up a guy they like?

Slim
02-21-2009, 02:42 PM
You just said you think he is a top 5 NFL TE. Given that, why would Houston deal him for a 2nd-round pick and some schmuck player?

that makes not sense. The guy is a good player, they are going to keep him unless some team signs him to an offer sheet they don't want to match. In that case, they take their 1st and 3rd and move on.

And possibly lose him next year for nothing?

Ickybaluky
02-21-2009, 02:45 PM
And possibly lose him next year for nothing?

I think they would just as soon sign him to an extension, and I wouldn't be surprised if they did given they have a ton of cap space.

The point is, they like the guy and he is a real good player. You don't get better by trading away your good players. Nobody is going to be looking to trade a guy who they want to keep, unless there some reason behind it, like a contract squabble, trade demand, or something. There has been nothing like that.

Michael82
02-21-2009, 02:54 PM
I would LOVE to see Owen Daniels here. But sadly it's a pipe dream..... :(

ddaryl
02-21-2009, 02:54 PM
Bills would probably offer 2010 1st rd pick and possibly a 3rd this year IMO...

but I am sure the Bills will have an extension in place before a trigger is pulled if they were ot do this..

ServoBillieves
02-21-2009, 02:55 PM
Give them Josh Reed and a 3rd and I'm happy <_<

Nighthawk
02-21-2009, 02:56 PM

but I am sure the Bills will have an extension in place before a trigger is pulled if they were ot do this..

The sad thing is, I would be terrified to give up our 1st rounder next year because I just don't know how good this team will be. Knowing our luck, this team will be brutal with Daniels and would have something like the 3rd pick in next years draft! Uggh..the dilemma of being a Bills fan!

kernowboy
02-21-2009, 03:07 PM
I still think we can get a much better TE than we currently have for a R2 pick

Nighthawk
02-21-2009, 03:10 PM
I still think we can get a much better TE than we currently have for a R2 pick

Maybe even in the 3rd.

kernowboy
02-21-2009, 03:14 PM
Not just in the draft but maybe even trading for a veteran.

Raptor
02-21-2009, 03:27 PM

If they ever offered that Russ Brandon and whoever thought that was a fair deal should be fired immediately

Tatonka
02-21-2009, 04:00 PM
owen daniels is good but it would be nuts to give up anything close to a 1st round pick for him. he is NO superstar. i mean it is not like we are talking about tony Gonzales in his prime or something. he is a good TE that can block and catch but come on.

Mitchell55
02-21-2009, 04:32 PM
2nd and 4th and get our center or DT in FA.

X-Era
02-21-2009, 05:08 PM

You can't compare it to Shockey, who the Giants were trying to get rid of. Why would Houston give up a guy they like?

1) Hes not top 5 IMO
2) Hes a TE

I think a 2nd is fair

Mitchell55
02-21-2009, 05:35 PM
Top 7

1. Tony G
2. Jason Witten
3. Antonio Gates
4. Kellen Winslow
5. Dallas Clark
6. Chris Cooley
7. Owen Daniels

acehole
02-21-2009, 07:15 PM
yEA i BrOUGHT HIM UP.....and got torched for it...

Obviously this is just hearsay, but I saw it over at BB.com and figured id share.

http://www.eastcoastsportsnews.com/als09scoop.html

http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthread.php?t=119354

REMEMBER: Even though Daniels will surely be tendered at the highest level (1st and 3rd round comp.) by Houston, a trade could still be worked out for less or something different all together.

http://www.nfl.com/players/owendaniels/careerstats?id=DAN576298

Daniels made the Pro Bowl this past year, and in my opinion is a top 5 TE in the league right now. A package of a 2nd rounder and a player could work I believe, perhaps Parrish, Reed, Kelsay (LOL), McCargo (LOLOLOL)...okay well maybe not the last two.

Still I think Daniels would instantly possess the best hands on the team...yes including Lee Evans. Dude is that good.

casdhf
02-21-2009, 08:30 PM
I like Fine.

Mitchell55
02-21-2009, 10:45 PM
Im beginning to like this site. They got the Taylor and Logo news out before anyone. I bet this is 100% true to then.

Mitchell55
02-21-2009, 10:46 PM
I like Fine.

Hopefully hell turn out like a Kevin Boss

don137
02-22-2009, 09:13 AM

I truly hope they do not offer a 2010 pick first round pick. With a very difficult schedule and Jauron as a head coach I can see the Bills having a top 8 pick next year.

mysticsoto
02-22-2009, 09:21 AM
You know, it puzzled me why the Bills were going after Fred Taylor when I 1st heard the news. The Texans need a RB. Could the Bills be thinking of a trade for Owen Daniels and a draft pick maybe for Fred Jackson or even Lynch ?

Jan Reimers
02-22-2009, 09:22 AM
Giving up a 1st rounder for Daniels makes very little sense. The only thing more foolhardy would be using our 1st round pick on Pettigrew. If we are seriosly contemplating the Pettigrew move, we ought to use the pick to get Daniels.

ddaryl
02-22-2009, 11:21 AM
The Texans need DB's

The Bills are trying very hard to resign Greer

1 + 1 = ????

Mitchell55
02-22-2009, 01:58 PM
Trade McGee and 4th/3rd for Owen Daniels?

ddaryl
02-22-2009, 02:01 PM
probably would take a McGee our 2nd rd and day 2 pick

Bert102176
02-22-2009, 02:06 PM
espn insider has daiels ranked a 73 which is higher then anyother FA TE, only stinks that he is a RFA

Mitchell55
02-22-2009, 02:07 PM
probably would take a McGee our 2nd rd and day 2 pick

That would be way to much for a TE. They would never get that and shouldnt even expect that.

ddaryl
02-22-2009, 02:09 PM
That would be way to much for a TE. They would never get that and shouldnt even expect that.

He the highest rated TE in FA and he has the highest tendered RFA offer attached to him... Which means signing him costs a team a 1st and 3rd

therefore a 2nd rd pick and player like McGee for one of the better up and coming TE's sounds more then fair value for a guy entering his prime and not having to go through a rookie learning curve.

Bert102176
02-22-2009, 02:10 PM
sign greer then trade him and our 3rd or 4th pick 4 Daniels

ddaryl
02-22-2009, 02:15 PM

That would be kinda low... If Greer signs a contract with Buffalo it would be a kick in the balls to Greer if we turned around and traded him. Unless he OK's it first, but then I would suspect he would prefer to test FA before ever agreeing to a sign a nd trade deal

Personally I go back to McGee who isn't a great CB. he is solid, and probably can still return kicks and punts if needed. But McGee is a FA next year and he'll command some coin so we'd be better served locking up Greer and offloading Mcgee

Mike13
02-22-2009, 02:50 PM
He is a Dolphin Killer(95% of the Bills fans on here will cream their pants at that thought.)

But the Texans will not let him walk.

Night Train
02-22-2009, 03:55 PM
covet sounds like they want to bang him.. :down:

X-Era
02-22-2009, 04:19 PM

Id prefer to have Greer than McGee at this point.

Greer may re-sign and if he does, McKelvin needs to play opposite of him. McGee is then odd man out.

You could trade McGee for him maybe and our 4th.

PECKERWOOD
02-22-2009, 04:54 PM
It's worth asking. Maybe a 2nd and Parrish?

I like Roscoe as much as the next guy, but sometimes you have to sacrifice something to improve in other areas.

Daniels is a COMPLETE TE and sacrificing a great PR and occasional slot WR with a overly-modest cap number would be something I'd do.

Roscoe Parrish plus a 3rd round pick would be fair compensation, IMO. The Texans can grab a new TE in the 3rd while acquiring one of the best returners in the league.

X-Era
02-22-2009, 04:59 PM
The Texans need DB's

The Bills are trying very hard to resign Greer

1 + 1 = ????

Robinson is gonna be back, but after that I agree they need help.

The part I like is that the Bills would be trading from a position of strength.

I would move McGee.

Jan Reimers
02-23-2009, 06:42 AM
covet sounds like they want to bang him.. :down:
Or at least a violation of one of the Ten Commandments.

acehole
02-23-2009, 07:51 AM
Trade McGee and 4th/3rd for Owen Daniels?

Well at some piont Mclovin has to start.
We dont draft a first round KR.

We could trade mcgee as we are signing greer.

Greer and Mcloving would be sick with a first round DE second round OLB to improve pass rush....Then we would need to get another DB somwhere or convert simson or somthing along those lines. I have been clamoring for offensive weapons for a while and hardy was a start but it is clear if both of the starting last 2 qb's go 7-9 we need a change/addition at the skill positions. I still hope we keep Roscoe and use him more in the slot...

jimbohastle51
02-23-2009, 09:29 PM
shockey has had injuries and is right around 30. daniels would take our 11th pick straight up i am sure. now he is worth that but is he worth it to us?

jimbohastle51
02-23-2009, 10:13 PM
ya know now that i think about it things kinda make a little sense?!? they could be pushing to resign greer before friday so they can ship mcgee and his 1 year remaining deal with a 2nd OR a 3rd to houston for daniels. remember dunta robinson is a UFA and even if they do sign him they need another corner. and it is almost a certainty that mcgee will get at least 10-15 million more to sign than they will have to give greer, basically pay greer top number 2 corner money and let leodis work his way into the number one role. mcgee and a 2nd or 3rd for daniels would make sense for both teams and it would allow us to keep our 1st round pick to draft a LB or a DE, and after we pay daniels (which will be around 7 million a year) we can still go after a mid range vet center like brad meester and get a rookie to learn under him in the 2nd or 3rd (the opposite of what we give up for daniels) which could easily be Wood from louisville. this could really be an interesting first few days of free agency, cause if they are going to sign or trade for daniels it will be done friday or saturday because remember after signing him if we do tender him an offer the texans have 7 days to match.

ddaryl
02-24-2009, 09:47 AM
^^^ Pretty much what I was thinkng above... McGee becomes trade bait if we resign Greer

floridajoe
02-24-2009, 11:15 AM
I like the idea of the trade and sign - but I wouldnt give up McGee and a second. It would have to be a third. That second pick is too valuable in this draft and with our needs overall.

Mike
02-24-2009, 01:39 PM
You make perfect sense!