PDA

View Full Version : Fred Taylor Coming to Visit Buffalo

Romes
02-21-2009, 08:39 PM
The Jacksonville Jaguars released all-time leading rusher Fred Taylor earlier this week in a salary-cap move, and it looks right now as if the veteran could be headed for the AFC East.

Both the New England Patriots and the Buffalo Bills are the top landing spots for Taylor, and he is expected to visit both teams this week.

http://patsblog.projo.com/2009/02/pats-bills-in-c.html

So, the Bills expect Lynch to be suspended a few games... :scratch:

Edit: sorry, didn't see the existing thread. :couch:

trapezeus
02-21-2009, 08:45 PM
awesome. Taylor can talk some toughness into our injury prone QB. Ohhh wait, he's an injury prone RB.

billogic99
02-22-2009, 12:36 PM
Why would Buffalo be a top landing spot? We have more than enough talent at TB.

yordad
02-22-2009, 01:11 PM
Why would Buffalo be a top landing spot? We have more than enough talent at TB.Yeah, they're pretty solid at RB too.

LtFinFan66
02-22-2009, 02:17 PM
TB is an acceptable alternate to RB

Pinkerton Security
02-23-2009, 08:24 AM
i really dont get this. Could this have anything to do with the fact that we havent resigned Freddy yet? It makes me nervous, because they seem to have enough confidence in Freddy to handle the load for a couple games, and theres no way Marshawn is going to be out for more than a couple. So why bring in Fred Taylor we have the utmost confidence that Fred Jackson will resign? Taylor is a very good back, one of the most underrated ever, but he is old and does have his share of injuries, so we better focus on Fred Jackson more.

Jeff1220
02-23-2009, 08:39 AM
Could Freddie be on the trading block?

Jan Reimers
02-23-2009, 08:45 AM
Could Freddie be on the trading block?
I sincerely hope not. It would be far better to keep Freddie than to sign the aging, injury-prone Taylor, no matter how good he was earlier in his career.

floridajoe
02-23-2009, 09:47 AM
No way Freddie is getting traded. And relax, he's an exclusive rights free agent and the front office and coaching staff love him. He'll eventually be signed to a long term deal. If not, he's exclusive to the Bills this year and a restricted FA next year. No worries.

Pinkerton Security
02-23-2009, 10:16 AM
No way Freddie is getting traded. And relax, he's an exclusive rights free agent and the front office and coaching staff love him. He'll eventually be signed to a long term deal. If not, he's exclusive to the Bills this year and a restricted FA next year. No worries.
then why bring in Fred Taylor? So we can pay a veteran millions to be a third stringer?

Pride
02-23-2009, 11:46 AM
Hey, you need 2 RB's in this league. Lets assume Lynch is suspended the first 4 games and Freddie gets hurt in the 2nd half of the 3rd game. Are you comfortable with Oman starting game 4?

DraftBoy
02-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Hey, you need 2 RB's in this league. Lets assume Lynch is suspended the first 4 games and Freddie gets hurt in the 2nd half of the 3rd game. Are you comfortable with Oman starting game 4?

You drafted him for a reason did you not?

BAM
02-23-2009, 12:11 PM

Not I. He's unproven and inexperienced.

Pinkerton Security
02-23-2009, 12:22 PM

No but is it worth perhaps 4-5 million dollars to have him as an insurance plan for this scenario? I dont think so. And I doubt ralph will.

mysticsoto
02-23-2009, 12:23 PM
Not I. He's unproven and inexperienced.

How many 3rd string RBs aren't?

madness
02-23-2009, 12:26 PM

Even if you take Lynch's suspension out of the equation, you're #3 RB is essentially your back up for your #1 AND #2. You need at least three competent RB's in this league.

The Patriots are a fine example of why. I bet no one complained about having Faulk, Morris, Jordan, Laurence Maroney and BenJarvus Green-Ellis on their roster after they finished with the 6th best running game in the league. Minus Maroney for most of the year and they had four capable backs to carry the load and to cover for injuries.

If Oman isn't the answer we may need to find two RB's in a hurry... not just one.

Pinkerton Security
02-23-2009, 12:28 PM
Even if you take Lynch's suspension out of the equation, you're #3 RB is essentially your back up for your #1 AND #2. You need at least three competent RB's in this league.

The Patriots are a fine example of why. I bet no one complained about having Faulk, Morris, Jordan, Laurence Maroney and BenJarvus Green-Ellis on their roster after they finished with the 6th best running game in the league. Minus Maroney for most of the year and they had four capable backs to carry the load and to cover for injuries.

If Oman isn't the answer we may need to find two RB's in a hurry.

no one's doubting that we might need another good RB, but my gripe is that Fred taylor is a bit expensive as a backup-backup. And do you think he would settle for that role anyways??

Jeff1220
02-23-2009, 12:59 PM
I think there's more to this than looking for a 3rd back if they're looking at Fred Taylor.
Is it possible that they bring him in just to send a message to ML that nobody's job is safe?

ParanoidAndroid
02-23-2009, 01:11 PM
Taylor will go to NE for a chance at a title. The Bills might want 3 RB's because they can't trust Lynch to keep his nose out of trouble, but they'll lose a bidding war to a team with a chance to get him a SB ring.

madness
02-23-2009, 01:14 PM
no one's doubting that we might need another good RB, but my gripe is that Fred taylor is a bit expensive as a backup-backup. And do you think he would settle for that role anyways??

Again, try to lose the backup-backup mentality since Turk likes two backs on the field as much as possible which essentially makes our #3 the primary backup. It also looks like Turk is trying to phase out the FB role once again (leaning more toward 2 TE sets than Fairchild's H-back system) which means more 2 back sets or one back behind QB with the other lined out wide.

You get what you pay for and we desperately need a capable #3 to fit in with Lynch and Jackson. There was times last season where Turk wanted to keep pounding the rock but both Lynch and Jackson looked fatigued and eventually came up short.

Taylor is at the end of his career and is looking to go where he'll get the most opportunities which could mean picking Buffalo over NE. His skill sets fit right in to our offense so we wouldn't miss a beat with Lynch or Jackson out and I wouldn't be surprised if Turk had an itch to put all three of them on the field at one time to make up for the lack of playmakers at WR.

Ickybaluky
02-23-2009, 01:17 PM
I think there's more to this than looking for a 3rd back if they're looking at Fred Taylor.
Is it possible that they bring him in just to send a message to ML that nobody's job is safe?

No, but I think Lynch is a big reason why they would want Taylor.

Lynch has had some issues in terms of maturity, and Taylor is the kind of player who can mentor him. Who is Lynch's mentor right now?

With the job Taylor did mentoring Jones-Drew in Jacksonville (who also had some off-field issues), bringing Taylor in seems like a natural fit. The fact he is still a competent player makes it even better.

Also, Taylor is a veteran and knows protection schemes. He would be a nice fit on 3rd downs, because he can help pick up the blitz, is big enough that he doesn't need a fullback to lead and elusive enough to make guys miss in the open field.

floridajoe
02-23-2009, 02:00 PM
Agreed. And there really is not a lot of money tied up in the running back position. Whats wrong with having three good experienced backs? I don't understand what the gripe here is. Do you want a roster loaded with talent or not?

Pinkerton Security
02-23-2009, 02:02 PM
Agreed. And there really is not a lot of money tied up in the running back position. Whats wrong with having three good experienced backs? I don't understand what the gripe here is. Do you want a roster loaded with talent or not?
i guess ill clarify my point of view:

everyone on here thinks we're cheap. Therefore, I dont think we will sign Taylor to be a 3rd RB. We still need to resign Fred Jackson. Basically I think we are only going to get one Fred. Would I like to have 2 Fred's? Yes.

floridajoe
02-23-2009, 02:06 PM
What size contract would a 33 year old running back possibly command? We're not talking about big bucks here.

Pinkerton Security
02-23-2009, 02:31 PM
What size contract would a 33 year old running back possibly command? We're not talking about big bucks here.

i would guess upwards of 4 or 5 mill is what he is looking for, he was due 6 this year. So I;d say 4 is reasonable.

floridajoe
02-23-2009, 02:58 PM
He wont get 4+ from anyone. He tried to voluntarily take a big paycut to stay in Jacksonville and they said no. My guess is a contract offer in line with what we paid Anthony Thomas.

Pinkerton Security
02-23-2009, 03:18 PM
He wont get 4+ from anyone. He tried to voluntarily take a big paycut to stay in Jacksonville and they said no. My guess is a contract offer in line with what we paid Anthony Thomas.

we'll see.

Bills Juggernaut
02-23-2009, 03:21 PM
My guess is a contract offer in line with what we paid Anthony Thomas.

I just puked in my mouth a little when I saw that name...............

ParanoidAndroid
02-23-2009, 03:57 PM
I bet he would take lower salary in exchange for some guaranteed money over 2 years along with bonuses for staying healthy, getting on the field. He doesn't exactly have much leverage as far as salary goes with his age and injury issues. His leverage is that he can choose the team he plays for. The older pro-bowl type guys tend to go for the contenders.

YardRat
02-23-2009, 04:03 PM
No chance. He'll take less $ from New England if it comes down to them and us.

T-Long
02-23-2009, 04:18 PM
he'll go to NE. Lynch will be back and Jackson will get a long term deal. Bill isn't happy with the 4 RB's he has, so that will sell Taylor on going to the Pats.

X-Era
02-23-2009, 04:26 PM
No chance. He'll take less $ from New England if it comes down to them and us.

He may never make it there... we may just sign him while hes here.

YardRat
02-23-2009, 04:29 PM
He may never make it there... we may just sign him while hes here.

Maybe...but I doubt it.

I can't remember the last time a FA came here and was bowled over enough by the contract to compel him to sign and stay on the spot.

X-Era
02-23-2009, 04:42 PM
Maybe...but I doubt it.

I can't remember the last time a FA came here and was bowled over enough by the contract to compel him to sign and stay on the spot.

Really? How about last year (Mitchell and/or Johnson)

Luisito23
02-23-2009, 05:03 PM
Really? How about last year (Mitchell and/or Johnson)

I bet with the contract Kawika signed he could of chose to go to a different number of teams.

SeatownBillsFan21
02-23-2009, 06:22 PM
this is madness why would we even take the time to bring this Bum in and waste time on him Fred Lynch Taylor whats the point??

X-Era
02-23-2009, 06:24 PM
this is madness why would we even take the time to bring this Bum in and waste time on him Fred Lynch Taylor whats the point??

???

Fred is a bum?

Not in my world.

Jeff1220
02-23-2009, 08:25 PM
Here's Taylor's 07 highlights. (Didn't have an 08 highlight package :ill:)

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8062cd96

Ickybaluky
02-26-2009, 11:53 AM
According to Pro Football Weekly, Taylor wants more money than the Pats want to spend and the Bills are the more serious suitor:

LINK (http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+East/New+England/WWHI/default.htm)

Obviously, by bringing Taylor in for a visit, they have interest in him. But we hear that any play the team makes for the 33-year-old veteran won’t come for quite some time and only if and when his price tag heads south. If Taylor remains available at a modest cap number after the draft, that’s a time the Pats could emerge as a viable destination for him. Taylor visited Buffalo prior to his New England trip, and the Bills appear to be a more serious contender for his services at this point in time.

justasportsfan
02-26-2009, 11:58 AM
According to Pro Football Weekly, Taylor wants more money than the Pats want to spend and the Bills are the more serious suitor:

LINK (http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+East/New+England/WWHI/default.htm)
wow. With ML's possible suspension I think Dick wants to continue what happnened last year. Strong start ,worst finish.