PDA

View Full Version : Bills to increase Greer's offer

Stewie
02-22-2009, 09:41 AM
Forked from: Bills offer Greer a contract (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?postid=2825652)

5 years 20 million. from ESPN.com

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2968

Damnit i meant Greer. Mods help me out. I bought a new keyboard last week.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation?tag=09%20combine

February 22, 2009 10:31 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Buffalo Bills want to keep cornerback Jabari Greer and are making a push to close the mammoth money chasm in their negotiations.
Greer

Bills chief operating office Russ Brandon and football administration chief Jim Overdorf met here with Greer's agent, Mark Bloom, on Saturday and are expected this week to make another proposal, an NFL source informed me.

Michael82
02-22-2009, 09:44 AM
Wow! I really thought they were just going to give him the one offer and then let him go. I wonder if this means that McGee will be the odd man out next....

yordad
02-22-2009, 09:47 AM
Well, I guess this post goes here too......A 5 year 20 mil contract for Greer sounded about right to me. I mean seriously, if someone gives him a 5 year 43 million dollar deal, I hope it is someone in our division, because that's way to much.

FlyingDutchman
02-22-2009, 09:53 AM
God I hope we dont break the bank on Greer. We need the money to be a player in the FA market

Stewie
02-22-2009, 10:34 AM
my guess is the total contract value doesn't go far over 5 m per year, and they'll give him more guaranteed.

don137
02-22-2009, 10:49 AM
my guess is the total contract value doesn't go far over 5 m per year, and they'll give him more guaranteed.

After what they gave Kelsey I wouldn't be too sure they would not overspend...

Nighthawk
02-22-2009, 10:54 AM
Let him go, unless they are looking to trade McGee for something. You can't break the bank for Greer...it would be not make sense.

casdhf
02-22-2009, 11:05 AM
This will be McGee's last season in Buffalo.

ddaryl
02-22-2009, 11:17 AM
Bills could be trying to get Greer tied up so they can make a trade using McGee or one of our other DB's

BillsWin
02-22-2009, 01:13 PM
A trade of McGee makes sense if they think Greer is the answer.

What would his value be???

Mitchell55
02-22-2009, 01:22 PM
3rd or buffalos 5th and McGee for mid 2nd.

ddaryl
02-22-2009, 01:59 PM
I was thinking trade Mcgee with Texas and possibly a 2nd rd pick and maybe a day 2 pick for Owen Daniels.. or some sort of combination that allows us to keep #11

Texas could use a DB, but their need is more at the S position. Although they definitely have room for a CB upgrade

Mitchell55
02-22-2009, 02:01 PM
McGee is worth a 3rd, Daniels is worth a high 1st, early second. So McGee and 3rd should work out.

Syderick
02-22-2009, 02:04 PM
Atleast they're tying for him. Greer is a real good cornerback, he even caught the 300 int from Brett Favre.

ddaryl
02-22-2009, 02:07 PM
McGee is worth a 3rd, Daniels is worth a high 1st, early second. So McGee and 3rd should work out.

2 3rds won't be enough ... You're gonna have to sweeten the pot here. It's going to have to be a 2nd rd pick and a player like Mcgee IMO

but this is all speculation... Maybe Houston is in the market for a high motor white DE

Mitchell55
02-22-2009, 02:09 PM
2 3rds won't be enough ... You're gonna have to sweeten the pot here. It's going ot have ot be a 2nd rd pick and a player like Mcgee IMO

but this is all speculation... Maybe Houston is in the market for a high motor white DE

Resign Freddy and sign Taylor.

Trade Freddy and McGee for Daniels

ddaryl
02-22-2009, 02:11 PM

I guess you forgot that Lynch is in trouble

I wouldn't trade Freddie for anything, and if we sign Taylor its only becuase we know Lynch is going to face a 4 game suspension.

B-DON
02-22-2009, 02:32 PM
How anyone doesnt think greer is our best corner right now amazes me.

FlyingDutchman
02-22-2009, 02:58 PM

Thank You!

Mitchell55
02-22-2009, 03:02 PM
McGee reminds me of Parrish, they have the skills for the position but not the basics. Greer isnt that fast but defintley is our best cover corner.

Michael82
02-22-2009, 04:09 PM
He's definitely our best true cover corner!

Pinkerton Security
02-22-2009, 04:14 PM
McGee reminds me of Parrish, they have the skills for the position but not the basics. Greer isnt that fast but defintley is our best cover corner.

greer was a track star in college and set the Tennessee school record in 110 hurdles. Just bc madden only has him at a 92 or whatever doesnt mean hes "not that fast".

X-Era
02-22-2009, 04:21 PM
He's definitely our best true cover corner!

:clap: completely agree... hes gone man to man against Randy and TO and done very well IMO.

PECKERWOOD
02-22-2009, 04:57 PM
Wow! I really thought they were just going to give him the one offer and then let him go. I wonder if this means that McGee will be the odd man out next....

That's what I'm hoping for. I loved McGee while he was here but his time in Buffalo is coming to an end. Lock up Greer and we will have him and McKelvin as our starting CBs for the next 4-5 years. I would also consider dealing McGee if Greer is retained. I'm fully confident in Corner, Youboty and Simpson as our 3rd, 4th and 5th DBs, respectively.

X-Era
02-22-2009, 05:18 PM
If the offer isnt at least 5 for 30, Greer is going to walk. Thats just my honest take. Even that much hay not do it, but I bet he will think about it.

zone
02-22-2009, 05:20 PM
McGee is still our best all around corner.

PECKERWOOD
02-22-2009, 05:34 PM
McGee is still our best all around corner.

Ted Ginn Jr. abused him like his red headed step child, twice last year. I would shop him around if we can get Greer back, otherwise next year there will be a chance that he walks for absolutely nothing.

Pinkerton Security
02-22-2009, 05:45 PM
Ted Ginn Jr. abused him like his red headed step child, twice last year. I would shop him around if we can get Greer back, otherwise next year there will be a chance that he walks for absolutely nothing.

McGee was playing at about 80% in the first Miami game, and everyone could see that.

And the 2nd game he had one catch for 18 yards.

Greer may be just as good as McGee, or even a bit better, especially in straight up man. But McGee is still one of our best defenders.

X-Era
02-22-2009, 05:55 PM
McGee was playing at about 80% in the first Miami game, and everyone could see that.

And the 2nd game he had one catch for 18 yards.

Greer may be just as good as McGee, or even a bit better, especially in straight up man. But McGee is still one of our best defenders.

K, Greer is younger and Mckelvin has more potential than either.

Whats the problem with keeping Greer and trading away McGee?

Pinkerton Security
02-22-2009, 06:38 PM
K, Greer is younger and Mckelvin has more potential than either.

Whats the problem with keeping Greer and trading away McGee?
no problem here, I just think McGee is still at least very close to being our best corner. I'd be stoked if we could get a 3rd or better for mcgee, with Greer, McKelvin and Youboty, I just want to be sure we dont just jettison him off justg because Greer is good too.

jpdex12
02-22-2009, 06:59 PM

Honestly, this is garbage! Let's talk realistically here...

jpdex12
02-22-2009, 07:03 PM
Why does everyone want to trade everyone? Good god, don't you remember when we were scraping the bottom of the barrel for a CB two years ago due to injuries and teams were throwing all over us. We NEED good CB's and we need depth. Youboty isn't costing anything and McElvin is coming along but still quite raw at the CB position. I'd be happy if we resigned Greer and kept everyone else.

McGee
Greer
Youboty
McKelvin
Corner

These are the five on our 53 man roster at CB...we need all of them!

X-Era
02-22-2009, 07:11 PM
Why does everyone want to trade everyone? Good god, don't you remember when we were scraping the bottom of the barrel for a CB two years ago due to injuries and teams were throwing all over us. We NEED good CB's and we need depth. Youboty isn't costing anything and McElvin is coming along but still quite raw at the CB position. I'd be happy if we resigned Greer and kept everyone else.

McGee
Greer
Youboty
McKelvin
Corner

These are the five on our 53 man roster at CB...we need all of them!

I would to, I just am not sure why we would want to re-sign Greer, when we have McGee at a fairly hefty contract and locked up as a starter and McKelvin at a fairly hefty contract and developing into a starter maybe even as early as the start of next year?

The way I see it, if we keep them all, we have 3 starters for 2 spots. That said, we would have awesome depth.

justasportsfan
02-22-2009, 07:44 PM
Greer made plays but he was inconsistent

jpdex12
02-22-2009, 08:02 PM
I would to, I just am not sure why we would want to re-sign Greer, when we have McGee at a fairly hefty contract and locked up as a starter and McKelvin at a fairly hefty contract and developing into a starter maybe even as early as the start of next year?

The way I see it, if we keep them all, we have 3 starters for 2 spots. That said, we would have awesome depth.

McGee will be out the door after this year then we have Greer and McKelvin. You guys want to end up searching for a Webster off the streets like we did two years ago to fill a whole?

homeslice5484
02-22-2009, 08:15 PM
keep greer, worry about mcgee at the end of the season

ALL D
02-22-2009, 09:24 PM
McGee is gone next year whether we sign Greer or not. Greer will have some nice offers thrown his way, but in this tight market, his agent might just take a 22-25 mil deal

Mahdi
02-23-2009, 10:16 AM
Watch the game against Arizona and you'll find out why. Follow it up with the San Diego game. If you actually watch how many times Greer gets beat inside you'll see why he not our best CB. McGee routinely covers the opposing top receiver and Greer covers the #2 and gets picked on. He also has trouble with bigger receivers, he's not too physical at the line and gets out muscled when the ball is in the air. That being said he has great change of direction and can stay with receivers on deep routes. His strengths combined with his weaknesses is what makes him a 5 million dollar CB rather than a 10 million dollar CB.

DraftBoy
02-23-2009, 10:43 AM

Stop it, you have no idea what either player is worth. You are making up value based on nothing but your imagination. There is no way Daniels is worth a high 1st and early 2nd. He was only tendered as a Franchise player which gets then a 1st and a 3rd. So why in the world would he be valued at a 1st and a 2nd? Even then he is not worth a 1st and 3rd to begin with.

X-Era
02-23-2009, 10:53 AM
Stop it, you have no idea what either player is worth. You are making up value based on nothing but your imagination. There is no way Daniels is worth a high 1st and early 2nd. He was only tendered as a Franchise player which gets then a 1st and a 3rd. So why in the world would he be valued at a 1st and a 2nd? Even then he is not worth a 1st and 3rd to begin with.

Exactly!

Hes probably worth a 2nd at best, I could see him going for a 3rd and a later pick or even a 3rd straight up.

Mahdi
02-23-2009, 11:12 AM
Exactly!

Hes probably worth a 2nd at best, I could see him going for a 3rd and a later pick or even a 3rd straight up.
Owen Daniels isnt worth a first but he is certainly worth more than a 3rd. If Im a GM and I own the rights to Daniels I have to be thinking about the draft. If you want a good TE in this year's draft you are looking at spending a 2nd round pick, and thats on an unknown commodity. Therefore I know that any team willing to trade for Daniels will be willing to deal a 2nd rounder for him at least. Maybe even a late first.

X-Era
02-23-2009, 11:23 AM
Owen Daniels isnt worth a first but he is certainly worth more than a 3rd. If Im a GM and I own the rights to Daniels I have to be thinking about the draft. If you want a good TE in this year's draft you are looking at spending a 2nd round pick, and thats on an unknown commodity. Therefore I know that any team willing to trade for Daniels will be willing to deal a 2nd rounder for him at least. Maybe even a late first.

I just cant see a 1st for him. 2nd rounder at best. Then, they could make that arguement to themselves.

Mahdi
02-23-2009, 11:30 AM
I just cant see a 1st for him. 2nd rounder at best. Then, they could make that arguement to themselves.
I said late first though... If you are picking somewhere between 23-31 and you are thinking of drafting a TE in that spot like Pettigrew or Cook then maybe trading for Daniels is the better option...wouldnt you agree considering Daniels is already a proven player in the NFL?

X-Era
02-23-2009, 01:19 PM
I said late first though... If you are picking somewhere between 23-31 and you are thinking of drafting a TE in that spot like Pettigrew or Cook then maybe trading for Daniels is the better option...wouldnt you agree considering Daniels is already a proven player in the NFL?

So the issue that I think teams would grapple with is what the rookies potential is.

If a team in late round 1 takes Pettigrew because they think hes going to be a top 5 TE in the league, then they could argue that Daniels will probably never be and that they should go with there gut. I just look at what the Pats gave up for Randy, or what the Jets gave up for Favre, and then to take Daniels, a TE, with a higher pick than either seems crazy.

But I can see the point you make. Its the same one I made for trading for Peppers.

Oaf
02-24-2009, 09:42 PM
I'm very happy with these developments. Whenever Greer has a chance, he runs away with it. I'm glad we've realized that and we're trying to keep him away from the Pats.