PDA

View Full Version : Our next starting center from Bill Polian?

jpdex12
02-22-2009, 07:59 PM
Here's a little nugget to chew on...

This is our next starting center and from protecting Manning for the last umpteen years Trent would be in good hands as well as the drafted Center who Saturday will mentor.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20090222/SPORTS03/902220373/1058/SPORTS03

Ingtar33
02-22-2009, 08:42 PM
great center. the colts offense was crippled without him, when he was hurt early in the year. i wonder why BP is dumping him though... i've never seen BP make a real mistake on letting a guy go who can still play.

or is their cap situation that tight?

realdealryan
02-22-2009, 08:56 PM
I thought I read something about this being the tightest cap situation he's faced in Indy. The Colts had more problems than just Saturday's injury this year, and I bet they saw all they needed from UB's Jamie Richard this year. He started out with a couple penalties and then I think I remember him doing just fine after that.

Tatonka
02-22-2009, 09:04 PM
he is 33 and the injuries will probably increase. indy also didnt have a good run blocking line. their season ended because of it.

saturday is a short term solution, if any at all.

methos4ever
02-22-2009, 09:05 PM
Just be okay with the fact that he'll need help from a guard to handle the big NTs in the division....that's one of the reasons the Colts have issues dealing with 3-4.

ParanoidAndroid
02-22-2009, 09:07 PM
Jason Brown, please.

Lexwhat
02-22-2009, 11:29 PM
They could be clearing cap room to go after Haynesworth...

Just a guess.

SeatownBillsFan21
02-22-2009, 11:33 PM
JS would be nice but Jason Brown would be better

“We’ve made an offer, and he’s mulling it over, and we’ll see where that goes,” Polian said. “It’s very much an unfinished picture at this point.”

floridajoe
02-23-2009, 09:50 AM
Saturday is a poor run blocker. I can't see the purpose of his signing. Our guards, particularly on the left side, are not good enough to compensate for a center who can't run block.

justasportsfan
02-23-2009, 10:53 AM
great center. the colts offense was crippled without him, when he was hurt early in the year. i wonder why BP is dumping him though... i've never seen BP make a real mistake on letting a guy go who can still play.

or is their cap situation that tight?the colts are challenged capwise and I think they are looking to find a replacement in this years draft (or FA) that they can lock up for a long time since this year (or is it next? ) is the last uncapped season. Thats what BP implied when he spoke of Marvin Harrisson at the combine so I can only assume that Saturday is in the same boat. :idunno:

realdealryan
02-23-2009, 11:06 AM
They could be clearing cap room to go after Haynesworth...

Just a guess.

Peyton is still signed, though.

Mahdi
02-23-2009, 02:30 PM
the colts are challenged capwise and I think they are looking to find a replacement in this years draft (or FA) that they can lock up for a long time since this year (or is it next? ) is the last uncapped season. Thats what BP implied when he spoke of Marvin Harrisson at the combine so I can only assume that Saturday is in the same boat. :idunno:
The Colts already have replacements for the C position in the works. Both Steve Justice and Mike Pollack are options for them and both were seen as high potential guys coming out of the draft last year. Colts are usually one step ahead.

Mahdi
02-23-2009, 02:36 PM
Saturday is a poor run blocker. I can't see the purpose of his signing. Our guards, particularly on the left side, are not good enough to compensate for a center who can't run block.
Saturday is a great run blocker. Not every good run blocker has to be 6'5 330. Saturday is smart and uses technique and leverage very well. The only reason the Colts struggled to run the ball last year was they had so many injuries along the OL, particularly at guard.

floridajoe
02-23-2009, 03:01 PM
Saturday was never even good, let alone great, at run blocking. He was and is one of the best pass blocking centers. There is no way anyone looks at him for his run blocking "skills"

Mahdi
02-23-2009, 03:47 PM
Saturday was never even good, let alone great, at run blocking. He was and is one of the best pass blocking centers. There is no way anyone looks at him for his run blocking "skills"
Based on what? Colts Rbs routinely average over 4 ypc. What indication do you have that Saturday is a weak run blocker?

floridajoe
02-24-2009, 08:45 AM
Based on the fact that without top notch guard play, his team can't run the ball. That would be his problem here. A great center can make average guards better. An average center needs great guards to succeed.

Mahdi
02-24-2009, 10:02 AM
Based on the fact that without top notch guard play, his team can't run the ball. That would be his problem here. A great center can make average guards better. An average center needs great guards to succeed.
I dont care how good you are at C. If your starting guards go down and you're playing with backups not to mention the fact that Addai was injured most of the season which was the biggest reason they didnt run the ball well, you're run game will struggle.

Dujek
02-24-2009, 10:04 AM
Saturday is a solid C, and is certainly an improvement over what we've got. I'd rather have somebody younger, but bringing in Saturday and drafting a young guy and letting him learn from one of the best in the league for the past few years makes a lot of sense.

realdealryan
02-24-2009, 10:18 AM

Jury's out IMO. The Colts haven't had guard continuity in a couple of seasons, and I won't argue that last year wasn't the o-line's best, but....

I still can't forget his pancake of a big 3-4 NT, Wilfork, when it counted. I couldn't find a good video, but @ 2:08 you can see Saturday slamming Wilfork to the ground as Addai goes in for the winning score.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYTWczubtLE

Two seasons ago? Sure. Injury since then? Sure. Can anyone even dream of Preston doing this? Nope. And if there is a soft market for Saturday and Polian is willing to let him walk, I'd do it.

floridajoe
02-24-2009, 11:01 AM
I just think there are better options but if had to be him, then ok. Birk and Brown are far better for a team that wants to run tough up the middle. In the draft, I'd take Mack or Wood as true smash mouth centers.

DraftBoy
02-24-2009, 11:05 AM
The Colts already have replacements for the C position in the works. Both Steve Justice and Mike Pollack are options for them and both were seen as high potential guys coming out of the draft last year. Colts are usually one step ahead.

They also have former UB OC Jamey Richard on their roster as well.

jpdex12
02-24-2009, 02:15 PM
Vikings are making a push to keep Birk! Makes Saturday a likely FA option if we don't blow a wad on Jason Brown which I wouldn't hold my breath on.

Patti120
02-24-2009, 03:57 PM
Damn! It looks like Miami may currently be #1 in the Jason Brown sweepstakes. Lets hope Birk doesn't re-sign. Otherwise we have to pray that we get Saturday and he is probably the 3rd best option in FA.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2009/02/24/dolphins-reportedly-zeroing-in-on-jason-brown/

X-Era
02-24-2009, 03:59 PM
Damn! It looks like Miami may currently be #1 in the Jason Brown sweepstakes. Lets hope Birk doesn't re-sign. Otherwise we have to pray that we get Saturday and he is probably the 3rd best option in FA.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2009/02/24/dolphins-reportedly-zeroing-in-on-jason-brown/

Big difference between answering the phone and signing on the bottom line of a new contract.

Interesting that Chris says hes only started one season. Hmmm, maybe he knows someone who is higher on our wish list.