• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Heard John Murphy talking about Dockery's spot being in jeopardy

I heard John Murphy talking about the Bills and as a result I’ve learned that Derrick Dockery’s roster spot is in jeopardy. The Bills are taking VERY long looks this combine period and both centers AND guards and could also target one or both positions in free agency.

While I’d be mildly surprised if Dockery ends up getting cut, possibly even in the few days—it wouldn’t shock me. The bottom line is his play hasn’t even come in the ballpark of living up to his big contract.

Still, I find it hard to believe they’d release him before having a contingency plan in place. I also think it’s unfair (but still happens) to release a player well after free agency has already begun, since it could potentially hamper the player’s chance of landing on a team and getting a decent payday.

I have no idea how Dockery being released would effect the salary cap, I’ll wait for Clump’s report on that.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

Re: Heard John Murphy talking about Dockery's spot being in jeopardy

I'd be surprised, too, unless there's a major cap savings.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• User Manuel
      The Artist formerly Known as Lawesome97
      • Nov 2003

Hmmm, and I was an idiot two weeks ago for putting this forth.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        • May 2003

Originally posted by Lawesome97
        Hmmm, and I was an idiot two weeks ago for putting this forth.
        No, it just proves you're smarter than Howard Simon.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• User Manuel
          The Artist formerly Known as Lawesome97
          • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
          Thanks.... I think.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
            • May 2003

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
            Sorry, you're smarter than the guy who's not Howard Simon.

Comment

• floridajoe
              • Feb 2009

If he loses his starting slot, he'll probably sit on the bench until next year when cutting him won't destroy the salary cap room we have. An expensive backup, yes, but his actual salary is not that high and his bonus money has already been paid. Let him sit for a while.

Comment

• bigbub2352
                • Feb 2005

Cutting Dockery and signing someone else would actually be the right move so i doubt this has legs
                Dockery is another huge bust for Ron Guy glad they brought him back
                he has done so well since being brought in by TOm D and his staff,
                good thing we kept him this long
                Dockery and Walker both are big pussies that dont do anything but pass block and are actually liabilities in the run game
                to big and slow to get out into space and also Dockery has been destroyed by above average DTS we have to face all season long
                cut them move on wont happen not under same regime
                XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• jamze132
                  Don’t hate…
                  • Jun 2003

Whatever makes the offense move the ball...

Comment

• floridajoe
                    • Feb 2009

Rambling incoherence is not the best way to make a point...

Comment

• Lexwhat
                      • Feb 2005

I'm not surprised, and I pretty much called this (no, not trying to brag). Dockery is not playing anywhere near what his contract is worth.

When the season ended, I wanted us to draft a Guard in the 1st 3 rounds and cut Dockery after the 2009 season. Then let the Guard take over in his 2nd season.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                        I heard John Murphy talking about the Bills and as a result I’ve learned that Derrick Dockery’s roster spot is in jeopardy. The Bills are taking VERY long looks this combine period and both centers AND guards and could also target one or both positions in free agency.

While I’d be mildly surprised if Dockery ends up getting cut, possibly even in the few days—it wouldn’t shock me. The bottom line is his play hasn’t even come in the ballpark of living up to his big contract.

Still, I find it hard to believe they’d release him before having a contingency plan in place. I also think it’s unfair (but still happens) to release a player well after free agency has already begun, since it could potentially hamper the player’s chance of landing on a team and getting a decent payday.

I have no idea how Dockery being released would effect the salary cap, I’ll wait for Clump’s report on that.
                        Anybody who thinks Dockery is getting replaced is drinking with Murphy.

No way this happens.

Comment

• X-Era
                          What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                          Anybody who thinks Dockery is getting replaced is drinking with Murphy.

No way this happens.
                          I agree.

Sure, they could go after Elton Brown, or draft a G in the middle rounds but I think its likely that they keep Dockery and that he ends up being the starter.

Comment

• madness
                            • Apr 2003

Dockery isn't going anywhere... this season. He suffered from the same situation that made L. Walker look bad in Oakland. We all know Peters wasn't himself most of the year and the C position would have been better manned by a steel door with a deadbolt. (At least DT's would have to run around it instead of going through it all the time)

He obviously wasn't a player that steps up and puts the line on his shoulders but Dockery will be graded next year when Peters returns to form and we get an actual starting center.
                            Last edited by madness; 02-23-2009, 01:40 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                              Peterman Sucks!
                              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by madness
                              Dockery isn't going anywhere... this season. He suffered from the same situation that made L. Walker look bad in Oakland. We all know Peters wasn't himself most of the year and the C position would have been better manned by a steel door with a deadbolt. (At least DT's would have to run around it instead of going through it all the time)

He obviously wasn't a player that steps up and puts the line on his shoulders but Dockery will be graded next year when Peters returns to form and we get an actual starting center.
                              So basically we gave a boatload of money to someone who's just another guy?

Am I reading into this correctly?

Either way, Dock was a poor investment by a franchise that keeps the wrong people in charge who make poor football decisions year after year.

Which is why we're in the shape as a franchise as we are right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X