PDA

View Full Version : Heard John Murphy talking about Dockery's spot being in jeopardy

patmoran2006
02-23-2009, 08:14 AM
I heard John Murphy talking about the Bills and as a result I’ve learned that Derrick Dockery’s roster spot is in jeopardy. The Bills are taking VERY long looks this combine period and both centers AND guards and could also target one or both positions in free agency.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
While I’d be mildly surprised if Dockery ends up getting cut, possibly even in the few days—it wouldn’t shock me. The bottom line is his play hasn’t even come in the ballpark of living up to his big contract.<o:p></o:p>
Still, I find it hard to believe they’d release him before having a contingency plan in place. I also think it’s unfair (but still happens) to release a player well after free agency has already begun, since it could potentially hamper the player’s chance of landing on a team and getting a decent payday.<o:p></o:p>
I have no idea how Dockery being released would effect the salary cap, I’ll wait for Clump’s report on that.<o:p></o:p>

Jan Reimers
02-23-2009, 08:38 AM
I'd be surprised, too, unless there's a major cap savings.

User Manuel
02-23-2009, 08:52 AM
Hmmm, and I was an idiot two weeks ago for putting this forth.

Jan Reimers
02-23-2009, 08:55 AM
Hmmm, and I was an idiot two weeks ago for putting this forth.
No, it just proves you're smarter than Howard Simon.

User Manuel
02-23-2009, 08:57 AM

Thanks.... I think.

Jan Reimers
02-23-2009, 08:58 AM
Sorry, you're smarter than the guy who's not Howard Simon.

floridajoe
02-23-2009, 09:42 AM
If he loses his starting slot, he'll probably sit on the bench until next year when cutting him won't destroy the salary cap room we have. An expensive backup, yes, but his actual salary is not that high and his bonus money has already been paid. Let him sit for a while.

bigbub2352
02-23-2009, 09:49 AM
Cutting Dockery and signing someone else would actually be the right move so i doubt this has legs
Dockery is another huge bust for Ron Guy glad they brought him back
he has done so well since being brought in by TOm D and his staff,
good thing we kept him this long
Dockery and Walker both are big pussies that dont do anything but pass block and are actually liabilities in the run game
to big and slow to get out into space and also Dockery has been destroyed by above average DTS we have to face all season long
cut them move on wont happen not under same regime

jamze132
02-23-2009, 09:52 AM
Whatever makes the offense move the ball...

floridajoe
02-23-2009, 09:53 AM
Rambling incoherence is not the best way to make a point...

Lexwhat
02-23-2009, 11:09 AM
I'm not surprised, and I pretty much called this (no, not trying to brag). Dockery is not playing anywhere near what his contract is worth.

When the season ended, I wanted us to draft a Guard in the 1st 3 rounds and cut Dockery after the 2009 season. Then let the Guard take over in his 2nd season.

HHURRICANE
02-23-2009, 01:28 PM
I heard John Murphy talking about the Bills and as a result I’ve learned that Derrick Dockery’s roster spot is in jeopardy. The Bills are taking VERY long looks this combine period and both centers AND guards and could also target one or both positions in free agency.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
While I’d be mildly surprised if Dockery ends up getting cut, possibly even in the few days—it wouldn’t shock me. The bottom line is his play hasn’t even come in the ballpark of living up to his big contract.<o:p></o:p>
Still, I find it hard to believe they’d release him before having a contingency plan in place. I also think it’s unfair (but still happens) to release a player well after free agency has already begun, since it could potentially hamper the player’s chance of landing on a team and getting a decent payday.<o:p></o:p>
I have no idea how Dockery being released would effect the salary cap, I’ll wait for Clump’s report on that.<o:p></o:p>

Anybody who thinks Dockery is getting replaced is drinking with Murphy.

No way this happens.

X-Era
02-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Anybody who thinks Dockery is getting replaced is drinking with Murphy.

No way this happens.

I agree.

Sure, they could go after Elton Brown, or draft a G in the middle rounds but I think its likely that they keep Dockery and that he ends up being the starter.

madness
02-23-2009, 01:39 PM
Dockery isn't going anywhere... this season. He suffered from the same situation that made L. Walker look bad in Oakland. We all know Peters wasn't himself most of the year and the C position would have been better manned by a steel door with a deadbolt. (At least DT's would have to run around it instead of going through it all the time)

He obviously wasn't a player that steps up and puts the line on his shoulders but Dockery will be graded next year when Peters returns to form and we get an actual starting center.

Mr. Pink
02-23-2009, 01:43 PM
Dockery isn't going anywhere... this season. He suffered from the same situation that made L. Walker look bad in Oakland. We all know Peters wasn't himself most of the year and the C position would have been better manned by a steel door with a deadbolt. (At least DT's would have to run around it instead of going through it all the time)

He obviously wasn't a player that steps up and puts the line on his shoulders but Dockery will be graded next year when Peters returns to form and we get an actual starting center.

So basically we gave a boatload of money to someone who's just another guy?

Am I reading into this correctly?

Either way, Dock was a poor investment by a franchise that keeps the wrong people in charge who make poor football decisions year after year.

Which is why we're in the shape as a franchise as we are right now.

madness
02-23-2009, 02:45 PM
So basically we gave a boatload of money to someone who's just another guy?

Am I reading into this correctly?

Either way, Dock was a poor investment by a franchise that keeps the wrong people in charge who make poor football decisions year after year.

Which is why we're in the shape as a franchise as we are right now.

I wouldn't say he's just another guy just yet. I feel he'll stand out with decent players around him just like he did in Washington. It would be foolish to count out player just because he has a bad season.

Did the Bills overpay Dockery? Of course they did. He didn't even blink before signing that deal.

patmoran2006
02-23-2009, 02:47 PM
I wouldn't say he's just another guy just yet. I feel he'll stand out with decent players around him just like he did in Washington. It would be foolish to count out player just because he has a bad season.

Did the Bills overpay Dockery? Of course they did. He didn't even blink before signing that deal.
you think he had a good 2007?? I think he's stunk to be honest with you.

X-Era
02-23-2009, 03:03 PM

I think your being too harsh, hes far from our biggest problem on the OL, and the OL is far from our biggest problem on the team.

Ickybaluky
02-23-2009, 03:14 PM
Really, the money he has already been paid is a sunk cost, and they probably take a cap hit to cut him due to bonus acceleration. He was guaranteed $18.5M 2 years ago, and his base salary is only $2.75M this year. Really, $2.75M isn't much, it is only 2.2% of the cap this year.

He may not have completely lived up to the contract, but has he been so bad you are going take a cap hit to cut him, then spend resources to replace him?

I'm skeptical.

madness
02-23-2009, 03:17 PM

I didn't think he had an above average season but I also think the offensive line as whole has been subpar and the unit should be judged as a whole.. not by singling out any one player. Signing Walker and Dockery wasn't going to fix this line immediately so I don't know why people are thinking that in the first place.

Was it a start in the right direction? I think so but only time will tell once we finish getting the right pieces. I was just happy the Bills finally recognized it had to be fixed.

T-Long
02-23-2009, 04:30 PM
I think the Bills NEED to overpay to get free agents to come here. Plain and simple.

X-Era
02-23-2009, 04:44 PM
I think the Bills NEED to overpay to get free agents to come here. Plain and simple.

I dont think they need to overpay. It depends on who they are going after. If its a douche who just wants money, yeah I agree. If its a guy who wants to go to a squad and truly help them get over the hump, no I dont think they need to overpay.

If what you say is true, why did guys like Mitchell sign here?

Philagape
02-23-2009, 06:25 PM

If he needs decent players around him to "stand out" -- which is kind of a paradoxical statement -- then yeah, he's just another guy. Good players help make others better, not vice-versa.

clumping platelets
02-23-2009, 08:42 PM
I answered this once before.............cap savings in 2009 is about $350,000 but cap savings in 2010 and beyond are significant

Night Train
02-24-2009, 04:48 AM
I answered this once before.............cap savings in 2009 is about $350,000 but cap savings in 2010 and beyond are significant

With an uncapped year and lockout possibly one year away, you may see a few eye raising roster moves (saving $$) regarding players that aren't seen as long term contributers. Especially those in the last 1-2 years of their current contract.