Orakpo - 4.63
Sidbury - 4.58
C. Brown (UCONN) - 4.7
Johnson (GT) - 4.67
Ayers - 4.8
Kruger - 4.84
Barwin - 4.56
E. Brown (FSU) - 4.63

Sidbury at 6' 2" 266... and that fast... hes a pass rusher type.

Mahdi
02-23-2009, 01:17 PM
Sidbury at 6' 2" 266... and that fast... hes a pass rusher type.
This guy could be a great option in round 2 if the player we want doesnt fall to us at 11.

X-Era
02-23-2009, 01:22 PM
This guy could be a great option in round 2 if the player we want doesnt fall to us at 11.

So, I actually think he could even drop into round 3.

I think Johnson may make it to late 1, Jackson goes early to mid 2, then either English or Sidbury is next.

The only thing is that you could get both Johnson and Jackson going in round 1 and then I see Sidbury being taken in the 2nd.

Jan Reimers
02-23-2009, 01:26 PM
I'm not familiar with Sidbury. Was he a productive collegiate player, or just one of those great size-speed guys whose measurables don't translate well onto the field?

X-Era
02-23-2009, 01:37 PM
I'm not familiar with Sidbury. Was he a productive collegiate player, or just one of those great size-speed guys whose measurables don't translate well onto the field?
From Richmond Spiders...

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=81224&draftyear=2009&genpos=DE

Came on at the Senior Bowl... hes a small school type with lots of upside.

35" arms

Mahdi
02-23-2009, 01:58 PM
11.5 sacks in his senior year.

psubills62
02-23-2009, 03:01 PM
From Richmond Spiders...

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=81224&draftyear=2009&genpos=DE

Came on at the Senior Bowl... hes a small school type with lots of upside.

35" arms

I think the guy got 4 sacks in the DI-AA championship game. That's when I first starting considering him. He's done nothing to disappoint since then.

If we go a different route than DE in the first, I'd like to get either Kruger in the second or Sidbury in the third. Although I'm not sure if Sidbury will last until the third.

This is the draft when I really want another second round pick...there's going to be a lot of value there, it seems.

TigerJ
02-23-2009, 05:26 PM
On the whole, I think the times for defensive ends are pretty disappointing.

X-Era
02-23-2009, 05:32 PM
On the whole, I think the times for defensive ends are pretty disappointing.

Huh???

4.63 for a DE is disappointing? (Orakpo and Brown)

Anything under a 4.7 is good for a DE

treydawg
02-23-2009, 10:20 PM
Maybin disappointed me with his time, but I'd like to see his 10 yard split.

DraftBoy
02-24-2009, 07:15 AM
Huh???

4.63 for a DE is disappointing? (Orakpo and Brown)

Anything under a 4.7 is good for a DE

40 yd dash times mean very little when it comes to DE. I agree with TigerJ their weights all are bad and there is not one really complete DE in the entire class. Its not the class I hoped for.

Mahdi
02-24-2009, 07:25 AM
40 yd dash times mean very little when it comes to DE. I agree with TigerJ their weights all are bad and there is not one really complete DE in the entire class. Its not the class I hoped for.
I gotta see this 300 pound run stuffing, Qb killing DE you want the Bills to have so badly.

DraftBoy
02-24-2009, 07:36 AM
I gotta see this 300 pound run stuffing, Qb killing DE you want the Bills to have so badly.

Never once mentioned a 300 pound DE, or a run stuffer, or a QB killer. Please at least attempt to represent my clearly stated views with some accuracy.

Dr. Lecter
02-24-2009, 07:42 AM

:bf1:

I am so sick and tired of seeing 40 times used to evaluate big men (DE's, DT's, OL, etc.) WR's, RB's, DB's? Sure. LB's? Somewhat (although other measurables are more important).

But not for big men.

DraftBoy
02-24-2009, 07:42 AM
:bf1:

I am so sick and tired of seeing 40 times used to evaluate big men (DE's, DT's, OL, etc.) WR's, RB's, DB's? Sure. LB's? Somewhat (although other measurables are more important).

But not for big men.

Im looking for the 10 yd splits, that's what matters not the 40 time. If a guy can't fire off the ball, I dont care how fast he can get down 40 yards.

Dr. Lecter
02-24-2009, 07:44 AM
Im looking for the 10 yd splits, that's what matters not the 40 time. If a guy can't fire off the ball, I dont care how fast he can get down 40 yards.

I tell people that and they say I am nuts. I also, especially for LB's, like to see the shuttle times and agility drills. Running a straight line 40 is not that important.

DraftBoy
02-24-2009, 07:45 AM
I tell people that and they say I am nuts. I also, especially for LB's, like to see the shuttle times and agility drills. Running a straight line 40 is not that important.

This is why you dont see me commenting very much right now about any of the results. Im waiting for the specific numbers to come back so I can get a better idea about how to analyze them. Bench press, and 40 are glory drills. 10 yd dash, 20 yd shuttle, 3 cone drill, and 60 yd shuttle are all better tests than the 40.

Mahdi
02-24-2009, 07:49 AM
Never once mentioned a 300 pound DE, or a run stuffer, or a QB killer. Please at least attempt to represent my clearly stated views with some accuracy.
Well you're saying all their weights are bad.... Orakpo is 6'3 263... that is right in line with the best DEs in the league.... Michael Johnson is 6'7 266 also bad? And they're also rookies...

How heavy should these guys be exactly in your estimation?

And do you really believe that all the top pass rushers in the league right now were great run defenders in college? I highly doubt that. They came into the league as speed rushers and through coaching and scheme they learn to defend against the run. Run D, especially in the cover 2 is about gap responsibility and team defense not 1 on 1 battles.

Mahdi
02-24-2009, 07:53 AM
This I agree with. The 40 for DL is not that important. I prefer to look at the 20 yard shuttle and the 3 cone and such. How they move and change direction with speed is more important than the 40.

DraftBoy
02-24-2009, 08:23 AM
Connor Barwin and Ian Campbell both finished first and second in the 20 yd shuttle and the 3 cone drill for the record. Johnson finished third in the cone drill.

TigerJ
02-24-2009, 09:03 AM

True, the performance of defensive ends in ultra short 10 yard and 20 yard dashes and agility drills is a lot more indicative of the kind of athletic output of defensive ends in actual games.

Mahdi
02-24-2009, 09:03 AM
Connor Barwin and Ian Campbell both finished first and second in the 20 yd shuttle and the 3 cone drill for the record. Johnson finished third in the cone drill.
Yeah... I like that about Johnson... He's a fluid athlete.

DraftBoy
02-24-2009, 09:07 AM
Yeah... I like that about Johnson... He's a fluid athlete.

He still does not possess everything I want of a DE. He still has big time question marks coming out.

Mahdi
02-24-2009, 09:23 AM
He still does not possess everything I want of a DE. He still has big time question marks coming out.
With the exception of a few players, most DEs do have question marks coming out. If you go to the other side of the spectrum of DEs and look at Tyson Jackson his question mark is his speed and ability to rush the QB.

The knock on Johnson supposedly is that he doesnt have a great motor. That is not a concern for me personally. I mean, I haven't seen a single player go through Buffalo that didnt play hard every down. Johnson if drafted by the Bills I'm sure would play hard, there's too much on the line these days not to.

DraftBoy
02-24-2009, 10:59 AM
With the exception of a few players, most DEs do have question marks coming out. If you go to the other side of the spectrum of DEs and look at Tyson Jackson his question mark is his speed and ability to rush the QB.

The knock on Johnson supposedly is that he doesnt have a great motor. That is not a concern for me personally. I mean, I haven't seen a single player go through Buffalo that didnt play hard every down. Johnson if drafted by the Bills I'm sure would play hard, there's too much on the line these days not to.

His motor really isnt a question mark to me its his durability. He gets nicked up in games a good bit. He's a hard worker and gym rat, but he's got holes in his game. In Round 2 he'd be a good pick, but I wouldnt take him at 11.