PDA

View Full Version : So Far, A Pretty Good Offseason!

R. Rich
05-11-2003, 05:54 PM
I think the Bills have done a very good job in free agency of getting impact players, up and comers, and solid veterans who will bring stability and, hopefully, leadership. I thought the draft was good also. I know there's been a lot of back and forth about the McGahee pick, but I do think the Bills got a very good player with their pick, plus there really wasn't a pass rusher, tight end, or speed receiver worthy of being taken at 23. If they decided to take one of those positions, they would've overspent for a player. Not to mention they got a pass rusher in the 2nd round; someone who was projected by many to be a mid-to-late first round pick. I also think Crowell was a good pick in the 3rd. From what I've heard, he seems to be a good one. Aiken seems like a slightly bigger version of Reed-let's just hope he can catch like him, run routes like him, and stay out of trouble like him (knock on wood). I think we could see the Bills make a couple more moves after the June 1 cuts; maybe another WR? Who knows. Also, I think it's great that they will honor Talley with a spot on the Wall of Fame. He was a warrior and the leader of the defense for many good years. Did anyone here go to the draft party at the Jim Kelly Club? I was fortunate enough to go and it was fun. I hope I can make it to a few more of those. Man, when they drafted McGahee, people went NUTS!!! Anyway, enough of my ranting and raving; oh yeah, Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there!

Steve-Mo
05-11-2003, 05:59 PM
You guys got a steal.. Spikes for NOTHING! No pick at all!

BillsFanInMass
05-11-2003, 06:03 PM
nice pick surtain what is she eleventeen

Tatonka
05-11-2003, 06:13 PM
yeah.. surtain, i can honestly say that your avatar does not appeal to me.. she looks like a teenager.

Tatonka
05-11-2003, 06:13 PM
i agree rich.. btw.

Schobel94
05-11-2003, 08:25 PM
Hah, she can appeal to me, Im a teenager. I have a distinct advantage over you old men, I can oogle 17 year olds and not get arrested, just slapped.... :(

R. Rich
05-12-2003, 06:21 AM
And another thing....

Travis should've kept quiet about the drafting of McGahee. If he doesen't like it, he should just come out and show everyone that he is THE running back for the Bills. That means working on not fumbling the ball 11 times! Hopefully, the pick has fired him up to the point that he will come out and have a monster year for us!!

Pride
05-12-2003, 07:49 AM
It didnt work for Ricky Williams in New Orleans a couple of years ago after they drafted McAllister.

R. Rich
05-12-2003, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Pride
It didnt work for Ricky Williams in New Orleans a couple of years ago after they drafted McAllister.

True, but for one thing, we didn't mortgage the future of the franchise for Travis Henry. And, if this situation ends the way that one did, who loses? Nobody. Both of those teams got Pro Bowl running backs out of the deal. Just imagine if McGahee comes back anywhere close to where he was; wow! The beauty of our situation, much like in New Orleans, is that there's no pressure on McGahee to step in and carry the load right away.

ublinkwescore
05-12-2003, 03:35 PM
I think they're lying about your avatar Surtain - she's hot as hell, and I bet she's legal too.

If she wasn't, and she convinced you that she was 18, you don't go to jail - not in Cali anyways.

But it's got to be enough to convince a 'reasonable' person that she was 18.

Demon
05-12-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by ublinkwescore
I think they're lying about your avatar Surtain - she's hot as hell, and I bet she's legal too.

If she wasn't, and she convinced you that she was 18, you don't go to jail - not in Cali anyways.

But it's got to be enough to convince a 'reasonable' person that she was 18.

I agree. I am 19 and i dont see how she could be under 18. She's mad hot anyways, if shes under 18 then you fooled me but that doesn't change the fact shes not hot.

Surtain, she your girl or something?? If so... good job bro!

Stewie
05-12-2003, 08:16 PM
Dude you guys are all smokin some good stuff.. that girl is no way in hell over 18...

casdhf
05-13-2003, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by ublinkwescore
IIf she wasn't, and she convinced you that she was 18, you don't go to jail - not in Cali anyways.

I wonder if Travis Henry thinks NY should be like that?

WG
05-13-2003, 10:38 AM
Hey Rich, how goes!!

I agree w/ ya on Talley!! He didn't get nearly as much recognition as other defenders of that era did even though IMO he deserved it. He was a speed demon. We could sure use him now. If Posey is half of what Talley was I'll be impressed.

As to FAcy, I think we did well. Spikes as surtain says, was a real steal. I'm not sold on our draft yet, particularly not for helping us this season. If we get any help at all from the draft this season, including on STs, I'll be happy. June 1st cuts should be interesting. Only 2 1/2 more weeks.

As to the excitement over the draft picks, that's always the way it is. It's easy to get excited over the draftees and say that they were good picks. But only time will tell.

The thing that really bothers me about McGahee, is not his current injury alone as most are concerned about, but rather, the fact that he's sustained a serious enough injury in each of his last 3 seasons played to have to miss very significant playing time or end his season. This past injury, had it happened earlier in the season, would have ended it.

So it's not the recovery from this surgery that has me concerned, it's his overall ability to stay healthy. I mean we all clamored about RJ, but at least most of his injuries were only of the "game or two" variety. Heck, McGahee is making RJ look like a poster boy for health in a sense.

I'm not going to be sold on McGahee until he actually plays out a full season of 350+ carries w/o getting hurt at all! If/when that happens, I'll then be somewhat less concerned going into the following season. Two such seasons will alleviate my concerns for good.

But if Henry even plays the way he did this year as last, assuming he gets more carries, I'm not so sure that he should go. We'd be getting rid of a top NFL RB in the hopes and w/o any proof, that McGahee does several things:

A. Doesn't reinjure his current injury
B. Doesn't continue his current streak of very significant injuries at the rate of one/year over his last three years started, and in far tougher competition and physical stress
C. Plays at a level for which he was drafted and better than that of Henry, quite frankly, a level at which he played only for one season.

Quite honestly, McGahee wasn't having the best game prior to his getting injured. He had 20 carries for 67 yards, less than a 3.5 YPC avg. and only 3 catches for 5 yards.

So while everyone is all but penciling in his greatness as an NFL RB, I really think we need to be cautious before trading away one of the top, if not the top, RB in the NFL for a bucket full of hopes.

The Canes also didn't play the toughest schedule over this past season. They played absolutely not top 10 ranked teams. The best team they played was probably WV and McGahee didn't even average 4 YPC then. 3.5 YPC. The next best team was probably FSU and McG only had a 3.7 YPC avg.

While they played some ranked teams during the season, 13, 16, 19, 20, and 23, they only played teams with final rankings of 14, 20, 23, and 24.

So they didn't have a tough schedule at all w/ only 2 teams finally ranked in the top 20, bottom half at that.

The championship game speaks more loudly than playing against a bunch of scrub teams IMO. 3.4 YPC isn't good and McG simply didn't have the type of game that screams out that he'll be the next Walter Payton.

I'm quite sure he'd be good, but I think we need to proceed with caution and not send Henry packing before this season. If he's not happy, he may well say that he wants a trade and given the above, I'm not so sure that would be wise.