View Full Version : The Sporting News AFCE Free Agent Targets

ghz in pittsburgh
02-24-2009, 10:41 AM
http://today.sportingnews.com/sportingnewstoday/20090224/?pg=10

Bills - Owen Daniels, Devery Henderson, Michael Boley, Greer, Jermaine Phillips

Dolphins - Jason Brown, Chris Canty, Bart Scott, Hoosh, Miles Austin

Pats - Ray Lewis, Greer, LJ Smith, Mike Brown, Spikes

Jets - Bart Scott, Mike Nugent, Jim Leonhard, Tony Richardson, Leftwich

Allen Wilson put in the Bills piece. Is this guy well connected to the Bills or not?

DraftBoy
02-24-2009, 10:44 AM
Gimme Boley and Phillips with a backup QB and Id be stoked with our FA!

Pinkerton Security
02-24-2009, 10:45 AM

Allen Wilson put in the Bills piece. Is this guy well connected to the Bills or not?

ugh if Greer goes to NE im gonna be sick...

ddaryl
02-24-2009, 10:46 AM
kind of out of touch

they don't even list our need for a vet QB or a C upgrade

seanbillsfan
02-24-2009, 10:47 AM

Hypothetically speaking, if we landed those FAs and the rest of our division got those FAs, we will be F'd once again

Italian Stallion
02-24-2009, 10:52 AM
Hypothetically speaking, if we landed those FAs and the rest of our division got those FAs, we will be F'd once again

Haha very true.

I like the interest in Phillips..he with Whitner would be a pretty good combo.

I wonder what type of deal he may be looking for?

circlethewagons
02-24-2009, 10:57 AM
Gimme Boley and Phillips with a backup QB and Id be stoked with our FA!
Add a guy like brad meester or another center to that list and i would be pretty happy with free agency. no "big" names but i think that would fill a lot of our holes for the draft

DraftBoy
02-24-2009, 11:09 AM
Add a guy like brad meester or another center to that list and i would be pretty happy with free agency. no "big" names but i think that would fill a lot of our holes for the draft

Ill pass on the FA OC and just draft a rookie.

The Jokeman
02-24-2009, 11:57 AM

He's the Bills beat writer for the Buffalo News. I can't see why we'd look at Devery as while he's no light weight at 200# he still lacks height at 5'11".

madness
02-24-2009, 12:11 PM
Ill pass on the FA OC and just draft a rookie.

I'll take both, please.

madness
02-24-2009, 12:28 PM

For those who are too lazy to click the link or can't get to it from work...

1. Owen Dainiels, TE, Texans – The Bills like Derek Schouman and Derek Fine, but they could use a more proven receiving t<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:PersonName w:st="on">hr</st1:PersonName>eat. Dainels was one of the Texans’ most reliable players and would give the Bills a quality downfield target. He also has the blocking skills the Bills require at the position.
2. Devery Henderson, WR, Saints – Bills coaches are high on their young receivers, but they need a veteran who can contribute right away. <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Henderson</st1:place></st1:City> never has caught more than 32 passes in a season, but his big-play t<st1:PersonName w:st="on">hr</st1:PersonName>eat because of his speed. His presence would take pressure off Lee Evans and allow Josh Reed to operate at his natural slot position.
3. Michael Boley, OLB, Falcons – The Bills need a sturdy player on the strong side. It’s unlikely Angelo Crowell gets resigned, so Boley would be a nice option. He is a productive player who can play the run as well as drop into coverage. Boley didn’t have a sack last season but had t<st1:PersonName w:st="on">hr</st1:PersonName>ee in each of the previous two seasons and has five interceptions the past t<st1:PersonName w:st="on">hr</st1:PersonName>ee years. At 26, he still has room to improve.
4. Jabari Greer, CB, Bills – Even though ’08 first-round pick Leodis McKelvin is read to be a full-time starter, the Bills value Greer’s leadership, experience, and play-making ability. It’s hard to imagine Greer returning as a backup, though.
5. Jermaine Phillips, S, Buccaneers – Ko Simpson has fallen out of favor. Phillips is a seven-year veteran with a knack for creating turnovers (11 career interceptions and seven forced fumbles in 2006). He is good in run support and well-versed in the Cover-2 scheme.

Mski
02-24-2009, 05:09 PM
they list jason brown to the dolphins, but not to us??

X-Era
02-24-2009, 05:18 PM

Thats because were not blanketing the media with reports so as to basically provide lots of tampering on the Jason Brown front.

floridajoe
02-24-2009, 05:47 PM

This is just pure speculation by someone w/o any connection whatsoever to OBD. Who cares what he or she says? Ten different authors will come up with 10 different lists. Does anyone think this is real?

Night Train
02-24-2009, 06:21 PM
Boley was jailed for battery. I don't think he fits this team.

Phillips I could understand some at SS but Bryan Scott is the same thing.

Henderson has speed in a dome but drops many balls.

Daniels may cost too much in exchange.

I'm not real thrilled with these guys. Hope there's more. Fred Taylor is a far better signing than this lot.

jdbillsfan
02-24-2009, 07:37 PM
Can we trade the players we are interested in with the players the Dolphins are interested in?

The Jokeman
02-24-2009, 07:47 PM
Can we trade the players we are interested in with the players the Dolphins are interested in?
Only if we could trade our management team for the Dolphin's management team which don't see happening anytime soon.

justasportsfan
02-24-2009, 07:52 PM
WORD! :afro:

Romes
02-24-2009, 08:57 PM
Didn't Boley lose playing time to Coy Wire this year? :ill:

seanbillsfan
02-24-2009, 10:27 PM
This is just pure speculation by someone w/o any connection whatsoever to OBD. Who cares what he or she says? Ten different authors will come up with 10 different lists. Does anyone think this is real?
this is true, notice that neither Fred Taylor or Kelley Washington are on that list. Speculation is a horrible thing

jimbohastle51
02-24-2009, 10:36 PM
if we got daniels, fred taylor, and jermaine phillips i would be stoked! henderson, boley whatever, what fred taylor can do with 150 carries and daniels can do for trent edwards will totally enhance our offense and dont forget just cause phillips isnt on tv all the time he IS one of the best safties in football and would instantly upgrade our saftey position.

Jeff1220
02-25-2009, 09:48 AM
This might be why the Bills aren't looking at Jason Brown (at least according to this thread, they aren't). Anyway, this article from the Sun is saying that Brown wants to play Guard and get paid like a Guard.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-sp.ravens25feb25,0,5792694.story