• Show
Clear All
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Micheal Johnson comments...

NFL | M. Johnson believes he can carry more weight
    Mon, 23 Feb 2009 13:43:16 -0800

Georgia Tech DE/LB Michael Johnson said during his NFL Scouting Combine interview that he believes he can carry some more weight and play at the same level. He sees himself getting bigger and stronger with time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NFL | M. Johnson discusses talents
    Mon, 23 Feb 2009 13:37:29 -0800

Georgia Tech DE/LB Michael Johnson said during his NFL Scouting Combine interview that he believes his best talents are rushing the passer, his speed and his ability to drop back in coverage.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

Re: Micheal Johnson comments...

does he see himself making plays consistently?
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Mahdi
      • Mar 2004

I see him getting bigger also and I just think he is one of those guys that will breakout in the NFL.

Comment

• The Spaz
        • Mar 2003

Can he make himself grow a heart?

Comment

• Raptor
          • Jan 2009

Pass all the way

Comment

• DraftBoy
            Administrator
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The Spaz
            Can he make himself grow a heart?
            Just curious how many Tech games did you see this season?
            COMING SOON...

Comment

• The Spaz
              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy
              Just curious how many Tech games did you see this season?
              I'll say 8. Thanks for asking.

Comment

• Night Train
                Retired - On Several Levels
                • Jul 2005

Mike Mayock says there's too much bad film on the guy. Vanishes for long stretches.
                Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

I'll say 8. Thanks for asking.
                  Then you weren't watching close enough because to question this kids heart is not only inaccurate, its just plain wrong. This kid was one of the emotional leaders on that roster. His production was not as high as hoped that is true and at times he looked a little lost in the scheme change that Tech did when they got rid of Tenuta's attack style D to their new coordinator's less aggressive system which had him drop back in zone coverage some. However you're going to call out his heart? His work ethic, ok I can buy that at times. The kid is a gym rat but could of applied himself better to the play book and on the field. But his heart? That's a ridiculous statement. This kid loves football, lives for football. Please don't insinuate anything different about these kids unless you're sure they don't have the heart. That's an insult to them and not fair for somebody who has never even spoken to the kid to say. And yes for the record I have spoken to him, I have a friend with GT Athletics plus living down here.
                  COMING SOON...

Comment

• The Spaz
                    • Mar 2003

Ok heart may have been the wrong word to use. Drive and determination may be more appropriate.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Night Train
                      Mike Mayock says there's too much bad film on the guy. Vanishes for long stretches.
                      That is a legit criticism for sure, and one that is bothersome. He looked lost at times on the field but he made plays without actually making them if that makes sense and that something that bothers me about Mayock, Kiper, and McShay. The only film they talk about is the ones were the player themselves is making a big play. Well in football thats not the entire story though. Johnson influenced a lot of plays and was one of the few football players who was purposely schemed against week after week. Now that's not an excuse for lack of production because like Mayock's says he vanishes out there. He needs to get his concentration honed in and his work ethic (outside of the gym) needs to be improved as well. He was a better player under John Tenuta then he was under Dave Wommack. So that's something to look at too as Tenuta ran an aggressive blitzing system (a Jim Johnson, or Steve Spaganulo type system) at Tech and Johnson flourished in that system as a pass rusher but was behind good DE's so he had limited PT which is why hopes were so high for him this year.

The sad thing is that not one of the top DE's has the complete package that you want out of 1st round pick. We could go the entire 1st round and not see one 4-3 DE be taken.
                      COMING SOON...

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

Ok heart may have been the wrong word to use. Drive and determination may be more appropriate.
                        Now see thats a very real (and serious) critcism. I agree his determination and drive need to be improved. But like I said in the post above I wonder how much the scheme change affected him. He was so promising in that aggressive attack system, but in a less aggressive one he didnt not adjust as well as hoped.
                        COMING SOON...

Comment

• Mahdi
                          • Mar 2004

Now see thats a very real (and serious) critcism. I agree his determination and drive need to be improved. But like I said in the post above I wonder how much the scheme change affected him. He was so promising in that aggressive attack system, but in a less aggressive one he didnt not adjust as well as hoped.
                          And thats exactly why I see Johnson as a great fit in Buffalo. The cover 2 will allow him to attack and do what he does best. He will be asked to shoot through assigned gaps and make plays in the backfield rather than battle OTs at the LOS.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                            Administrator
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mahdi
                            And thats exactly why I see Johnson as a great fit in Buffalo. The cover 2 will allow him to attack and do what he does best. He will be asked to shoot through assigned gaps and make plays in the backfield rather than battle OTs at the LOS.
                            How do you see that as a great fit?? He was allowed to do that at Tech for the most part but struggled due to scheme's overall passive style (extremely similar to a Cover 2). Johnson is good when he can go one on one with an OT and beat him. But when he is getting chipped, and DT'd he struggles. In the Cover 2 he would likely be chipped and DT'd (after he proved himself).
                            COMING SOON...

Comment

• Raptor
                              • Jan 2009

That is a legit criticism for sure, and one that is bothersome. He looked lost at times on the field but he made plays without actually making them if that makes sense and that something that bothers me about Mayock, Kiper, and McShay. The only film they talk about is the ones were the player themselves is making a big play. Well in football thats not the entire story though. Johnson influenced a lot of plays and was one of the few football players who was purposely schemed against week after week. Now that's not an excuse for lack of production because like Mayock's says he vanishes out there. He needs to get his concentration honed in and his work ethic (outside of the gym) needs to be improved as well. He was a better player under John Tenuta then he was under Dave Wommack. So that's something to look at too as Tenuta ran an aggressive blitzing system (a Jim Johnson, or Steve Spaganulo type system) at Tech and Johnson flourished in that system as a pass rusher but was behind good DE's so he had limited PT which is why hopes were so high for him this year.

The sad thing is that not one of the top DE's has the complete package that you want out of 1st round pick. We could go the entire 1st round and not see one 4-3 DE be taken.
                              Just because thats the film they talk about doenst mean thats the only film they watched

Johnson has no fire. I watched him and I dont see hustle and I dont see toughness at all. Yea he has a few flashes of great play but there are more non plays than good ones. The scheme changed but I dont buy that as an excuse. If he was that good the sceme wouldnt matter and if he says he had trouble with it that raises even more red flags as is he not smart enough to pick up a new defensive sceme and 2 is he only productive in one type of scheme.

With his physical skills we should be talking about where he is going to go in the top 5 not questioning motor

Comment

Working...
                              X