X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Romes
    • Jul 2002

Mamma Lynch talks about her kid...

A year ago Delisa Lynch told a Buffalo TV station how hard she had worked as a single parent in Oakland to keep her four children headed in the right direction.

"I was a parent who wasn't gonna lose my kids to the streets," she said. "I was just active in their lives."

She said this week she hasn't changed her approach even though her famous son, Marshawn, a star running back at Oakland Tech, Cal and now the Buffalo Bills, has twice gotten into deep trouble with the law in the last nine months.

"Somebody said his mom must have loosened the leash," she said in an interview. "If I have to grab the leash back, I'll do it. Whether you're 22 or 52, I'll do it."

She said Marshawn Lynch, 22, has had trouble adjusting to his new life, the one with the $10 million in guaranteed money from a six-year, $18.9 million contract he signed after being the 12th pick of the 2007 NFL draft.

"It's been a big culture change for him," she said. "It's a shock. It hasn't really sunk in to Marshawn - the stardom and everything that goes with it. He doesn't like the media attention. I told him at Cal, 'You're a role model now.' "

The best part is...
    "Hopefully he'll learn from his mistakes and move forward," Delisa Lynch said. "He needs to change his circle of friends. He respects his mom and listens to me."
    Hopefully, he does listen to her.
    Originally posted by paladin warrior
    RALPH is drove me nut.
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: Mamma Lynch talks about her kid...

So she's going to be " blunt " with him ?
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• jamze132
      Don’t hate…
      • Jun 2003

He better listen to his mamma.

Comment

• floridajoe
        • Feb 2009

I'm afraid that he is what he is and we'll have to either accept him or eventually dump him. There aren't too many examples of athletes in his position who completely change their character. They usually get worse the more money they make.

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
          I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
          • May 2005

I met her on my flight back from the opener in 07... nice lady. Hopefully Marshawn wises up real soon.

Comment

• mybills
            81 st zoner
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Night Train
            So she's going to be " blunt " with him ?
            I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• madness
              • Apr 2003

Originally posted by floridajoe
              I'm afraid that he is what he is and we'll have to either accept him or eventually dump him. There aren't too many examples of athletes in his position who completely change their character. They usually get worse the more money they make.
              He doesn't need to change his character, just his friends.

Former Cal quarterback Steve Levy said Lynch's recent trouble "definitely surprises me. ... I feel for Marshawn. At Cal, he was a great team player. He always had a smile on his face. I can't stress enough the amount of character Marshawn has."

Another close friend, who didn't want to be identified, said, "He's a good person, but he's hanging around with the wrong people. He needs to grow up."

Comment

• floridajoe
                • Feb 2009

Oh, so its the proverbial "friends" who are getting him in trouble. My mistake.

Comment

• Bert102176
                  • Aug 2002

she needs to take a paddle to his arse
                  lets go BUFFALO lets go BUFFALO

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

She said Marshawn Lynch, 22, has had trouble adjusting to his new life, the one with the $10 million in guaranteed money from a six-year, $18.9 million contract he signed after being the 12th pick of the 2007 NFL draft.

"It's been a big culture change for him," she said. "It's a shock. It hasn't really sunk in to Marshawn - the stardom and everything that goes with it. He doesn't like the media attention. I told him at Cal, 'You're a role model now.' "
                    I can believe that. Once it sinks in, he'll switch to coke and more expensive drugs than those cheap leaves and grab an m16 or an AK-47 instead of a pistol.
                    Last edited by justasportsfan; 02-25-2009, 12:13 PM.
                    sacrifice1
                    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• madness
                      • Apr 2003

Originally posted by floridajoe
                      Oh, so its the proverbial "friends" who are getting him in trouble. My mistake.
                      Seriously, there's nothing proverbial about it. I've been in the same type of situation and have my own felony charge to prove it. I made some bad mistakes when I was younger and did the right and moved away to get away from that type of lifestyle. It wasn't smooth sailing from that point on either since I violated probation twice before I finally got my head straight.

I've done a complete 180 since as I now have a great job and take pride on being a great husband and father to three with one on the way. My co-workers, friends and family all respect me and I probably have higher morals than most people I know. I don't, however, look down on people or judge them unfairly based just a few facts which is why people's reactions to this latest incident irks me to no end.

Some people have to face more adversity in a single day then most people face in their whole lifetime. Character is shown on how that person responds to that adversity. All we can do is wait to see how Lynch responds but from everything I've read about him since college, I have a feeling it will be a positive response.

I will now get off my soapbox.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                        • May 2003

$10 million means you don't go back to the thugs you hung out with in Oakland.

Comment

• floridajoe
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by madness
                          Seriously, there's nothing proverbial about it. I've been in the same type of situation and have my own felony charge to prove it. I made some bad mistakes when I was younger and did the right and moved away to get away from that type of lifestyle. It wasn't smooth sailing from that point on either since I violated probation twice before I finally got my head straight.

I've done a complete 180 since as I now have a great job and take pride on being a great husband and father to three with one on the way. My co-workers, friends and family all respect me and I probably have higher morals than most people I know. I don't, however, look down on people or judge them unfairly based just a few facts which is why people's reactions to this latest incident irks me to no end.

Some people have to face more adversity in a single day then most people face in their whole lifetime. Character is shown on how that person responds to that adversity. All we can do is wait to see how Lynch responds but from everything I've read about him since college, I have a feeling it will be a positive response.

I will now get off my soapbox.
                          I hope you're right but I have my doubts. The "incidents" keep getting worse. He'll have to earn his redemption - we shouldn't just give it to him.

Comment

• trapezeus
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Oct 2004

doesn't ML have a tat that says momma's boy or something? Or is that someone else? Makes me think if his mom is jumping back in the picture, he's going to get straightened out. but the damage is done, there is most likely a suspension coming.

We live in a 3 strike society for the most part. And the thing is, if you hit a homerun, but had a full count, no one ever says, "yeah, he hit the homerun, but he already took two strikes."

I also think he likes the positive attention of being a football player. he's a goofball on the sidelines, some of his videos on line with Jim Kelly and stuff shows he's an entertainer. to me, it seems like he'd be better served by being more outgoing with the camera's and ditching the toxic friends behind.
                            Since he's the best guy we got, i really do hope he turns it around.

Comment

• Luisito23
                              Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                              • Apr 2003

I think he'll be all right, and I don't think he'll get suspended at all...
                              "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                              ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                              ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                              ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

Working...
                              X