PDA

View Full Version : Midnight tonight

Yasgur's Farm
02-25-2009, 06:29 AM
That's the deadline for teams to tender their RFA's.

I believe Fred Jackson falls in this category. The Buffalo News is reporting that the Bills have tendered Freddy... They say it's a minimum of $460,000... That must be the amount for the 10% tender.

I'll put money on it that they tendered him a lot higher... They gotta get at least a 2nd rounder if another team steals him away.

Here's how it works... (http://was.scout.com/a.z?s=71&p=2&c=837407)

Teams can guarantee themselves the right of first refusal—in other words, the opportunity to match any offer made to one of their restricted free agents—as long as they make a contract tender offer at one of the levels below, or 110 percent of the player's 2008 salary, whichever is greater.

First- and Third-Round Compensation
Any team that makes the unusual move of giving one of their restricted free agents a contract tender offer of $2.792 million this year will likely lock him down for the year. Few teams opposing teams will part with both a first- and third-rounder unless they have an excessive number of draft picks and see the restricted player as a must-have franchise-level player. And even then, it's a costly proposition for any club.

There really isn't a single player in this year's restricted free agent group who is likely to command this level of a contract tender.

First-Round Compensation
A team will have to commit to a $2.198 million offer to ensure themselves of at least a first-round pick as compensation if they decide not to match an offer from another club. Again, this level of commitment usually limits the number of teams who will even consider making an offer since few teams want to surrender a first-round draft pick.

You could see a player such as Houston tight end Owen Daniels receive an offer at this level to make other teams think twice before putting a multi-year deal in front of him.

Second-Round Compensation
In 2009, it'll cost a team $1.545 million to receive a second-round pick as compensation should they decide not to match a qualifying offer from another NFL club. While this level of tender has become salty enough to keep the bidding down to serious contenders, it's not so unreasonable to expect that players tendered at this level could land with another club.

Original Draft Round Compensation
This is the easiest, but also riskiest tender that a club can make. With a contract tender of $1.01 million, a team that decides not to match another club's offer would receive a draft pick equivalent to their restricted free agent's original draft round. If a restricted free agent entered the league as an undrafted free agent, the team only gets the right of first refusal by offering this level of contract tender.

floridajoe
02-25-2009, 06:54 AM
Jackson is an ERFA - he can't negotiate with any other clubs if/until he's a RFA. He either signs his tender or sits. I think the Bills will sign him long term once they see how FA plays out.

Yasgur's Farm
02-25-2009, 08:02 AM
Jackson is an ERFA - he can't negotiate with any other clubs if/until he's a RFA. He either signs his tender or sits. I think the Bills will sign him long term once they see how FA plays out. Ahh... That's right... I forgot.

If I'm not mistaken, he would be a RFA next offseason if he's not signed long term. So I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get a multi year deal.

jamze132
02-25-2009, 08:25 AM
Ahh... That's right... I forgot.

If I'm not mistaken, he would be a RFA next offseason if he's not signed long term.
That is correct so save this thread for this time next year after another 7-9 season and after RW reaffirms his belief in Jauron's system.

bigbub2352
02-25-2009, 09:53 AM
let ellison walk, u can draft better depth than him

floridajoe
02-25-2009, 10:10 AM

We're a little short on linebackers to not tender our own RFAs. I know a lot of folks don't like Ellison but he has a lot of starting experience for a young guy. I think you have to tender him.

Yasgur's Farm
02-25-2009, 04:08 PM
Agreed. I've forgotten what Bills are RFA's... But we must tender Ellison. He makes a great back-up and we could be stuck with him to start (Although I think DiGi takes the spot if it comes down to it).

X-Era
02-25-2009, 04:12 PM

:clap:

It will be interesting to see if the do just that.

X-Era
02-25-2009, 04:12 PM
Agreed. I've forgotten what Bills are RFA's... But we must tender Ellison. He makes a great back-up and we could be stuck with him to start (Although I think DiGi takes the spot if it comes down to it).

Replace him with Greenwood and draft another guy. We end up better of.

floridajoe
02-25-2009, 04:44 PM
Replace him with Greenwood and draft another guy. We end up better of.

I don't see how you're better off wasting a draft pick on an inexperienced backup when there is an experienced backup already on the roster.

X-Era
02-25-2009, 04:51 PM
I don't see how you're better off wasting a draft pick on an inexperienced backup when there is an experienced backup already on the roster.

Thats if you completely missed me saying we should sign Greenwood. Morlon becomes the backup... yes hes an upgrade. Then we draft a better prospect who (with the same amount of time starting) shows us more than Ellison did hopefully.