PDA

View Full Version : World championship a coming-out party for Daniel Briere

Don Cherry
05-11-2003, 07:48 PM
http://canadaeast.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20030511/CPS/17167022&cachetime=15
PIERRE LEBRUN

HELSINKI (CP) - The world hockey championship was a coming-out party of sorts for forward Daniel Briere, one of Canada's top players and major reason why the Canadians captured gold.

The pint-sized forward of the Buffalo Sabres was second on Team Canada scoring with nine points (4-5) in nine games including a pair of game-winning goals. Briere's speed and agility really came through on the larger international ice. He had good chemistry with star Dany Heatley of the Atlanta Thrashers.

"I think you saw Daniel Briere go to a total different level in this tournament," said Team Canada GM Steve Tambellini.

"To be honest, when I was named to the team I just thought it was awesome to represent my country," Briere said after Sunday's gold medal win over Sweden. "I thought I'd play here and there or on the fourth line. That's what I expected. When they gave me the chance to play on the top line with Dany Heatley, I just wanted to take advantage of it.

"Confidence-wise, hopefully this will help me to keep going and be the player I always wanted to be."...more..