PDA

View Full Version : As soon as I stepped into the office today...

BillsWin
02-25-2009, 11:32 AM
I got some pretty interesting information.

Let's just say this free agency period we are going to explore some major big names.

I can't devulge too much information but there is a saftey, defensive lineman, big name center and tight end on the list of targets.

Also, the Bills are high on trading down if the right players don't fall.

Take it as it is and go ahead and discuss who you think it is.

needless to say with this information I am as giddy as a school girl.

DISCLAIMER: THESE ARE OBVIOUSLY JUST RUMORS AND BE TREATED AS SUCH, JUST BECAUSE THESE PLAYERS ARE TARGETS DOESN'T MEAN WE WILL SIGN THEM. Carry on.

BAM
02-25-2009, 11:35 AM
What office do you work in?

DraftBoy
02-25-2009, 11:36 AM
If the big name OC is Jeff Saturday or Matt Birk call your source back. Birk is about done on a new deal with the Vikes and Saturday said he wants to play for Pitt.

Mahdi
02-25-2009, 11:37 AM
Sean Jones, Gibril Wilson, Albert Haynes, Jeff Saturday, Matt Birk, LJ Smith.

BillsWin
02-25-2009, 11:38 AM
To DB: It is not them :D, to BAM: I work for a sports radio station, I am a hockey play-by-play broadcaster and I write a few articles for a paper every now and again. This info comes from the station.

Mahdi
02-25-2009, 11:38 AM
If the big name OC is Jeff Saturday or Matt Birk call your source back. Birk is about done on a new deal with the Vikes and Saturday said he wants to play for Pitt.
None of those 2 pieces of info on Birk and Saturday are certain though.

O and Aston Villa sucks, Chelsea Baby!.

BillsWin
02-25-2009, 11:39 AM
Sean Jones, Gibril Wilson, Albert Haynes, Jeff Saturday, Matt Birk, LJ Smith.

Interesting...

Mahdi
02-25-2009, 11:41 AM
To DB: It is not them :D, to BAM: I work for a sports radio station, I am a hockey play-by-play broadcaster and I write a few articles for a paper every now and again. This info comes from the station.
Has to be Jason Brown then... but more realistically Brad Meester.

BillsWin
02-25-2009, 11:43 AM
I'm technically not even allowed to release information before it is 100% or AP clears it to the station. As always these are rumors. But so I don't get suspended or fired, you guys need to do the leg work on guessing the names.

BillsWin
02-25-2009, 11:47 AM
ddaryl, thanks for the message. I'm excited too! I wish the Bills would pull the trigger on some of these players.

madness
02-25-2009, 11:47 AM

Brown might not be an option at this point either. Word is that he wants to move to guard so he can get guard money. Dolphins are reportedly ready to oblige and offer him a deal.

DraftBoy
02-25-2009, 11:48 AM

Can't see it, Brown is Miami's top target. Why would they allow him to come to us? He also wants to be paid like an OG. Ill pass on the guy for that kind of money.

DraftBoy
02-25-2009, 11:48 AM
Brown might not be an option at this point either. Word is that he wants to move to guard so he can get guard money. Dolphins are reportedly ready to oblige and offer him a deal.

Damn you beat me to it!

Mahdi
02-25-2009, 11:50 AM
This FA class is actually rich at DT.

I see a lot of guys that the Bills could go after that would be great fits.

Tank Johnson, Rocky Bernard and Jovan Haye all seem like potential targets...

floridajoe
02-25-2009, 11:55 AM
Just asking - how much NFL "insider" info do you get doing play-by-play for what I presume is minor league hockey in Oklahoma?

DraftBoy
02-25-2009, 11:58 AM
Just asking - how much NFL "insider" info do you get doing play-by-play for what I presume is minor league hockey in Oklahoma?

Maybe his station is an ESPN affiliate station in Oklahoma?? I dont know for sure, but Im just saying.

ddaryl
02-25-2009, 11:59 AM
DE - Albert Haynesworth

C - Jason Brown

TE - Owen Daniels

S - Jermaine Phillips.

Now we just need some imaginary cap space and an imaginary owner who would spend this imaginary money

psubills62
02-25-2009, 12:01 PM

I don't know if that's entirely true. According to rotoworld (through NFP):

"The Dolphins are expected to make a "huge push" to sign G/C Jason Brown when the free agent market opens.

Brown may encounter the same problems with Miami he's having in talks with the Ravens. Baltimore will only give him top center money and he wants to be paid like a guard. Miami's need is at center, not his preferred position."

Several reports have come out saying Miami isn't happy with Satele at center, so they want a new one. I'm pretty sure Brown wants guard money, but Miami wants a center. They might very well give him the money, but keep him at C.

psubills62
02-25-2009, 12:02 PM
I'm going to guess Rocky Bernard is the DL-man....at least, I hope that's who it is.

floridajoe
02-25-2009, 12:10 PM
By the way, per the Tampa Tribune today, the Buccaneers released RB Warrick Dunn, LB Derrick Brooks, WR Joey Galloway, WR Ike Hilliard, and LB Cato June. How does this change everyone's thinking?

bigbub2352
02-25-2009, 12:15 PM
Sean Jones SS, Chris Baker TE, Tank Johnson DT, Nate Washington WR

justasportsfan
02-25-2009, 12:15 PM
What office do you work in?
Holiday inn

The Jokeman
02-25-2009, 12:20 PM
By the way, per the Tampa Tribune today, the Buccaneers released RB Warrick Dunn, LB Derrick Brooks, WR Joey Galloway, WR Ike Hilliard, and LB Cato June. How does this change everyone's thinking?
Brooks' best years are behind him so not sure he'd fit in well and while Cato Juno has the experience we need at OLB not sure if would be a significant upgrade to Ellison or not but worth pursing IMHO.

ddaryl
02-25-2009, 12:22 PM
Cato June was a tackling machine when he played in Indy, but for whatever reason he wasn't in Tampa

clumping platelets
02-25-2009, 12:24 PM
Fred Jackson was tendered because it's required to keep his exclusive rights and the Bills can only give one tender of $460,000 to EFA. Otherwise, he's UFA

Tatonka
02-25-2009, 12:32 PM
holy ****.. mass exodus in tampa.

madness
02-25-2009, 12:39 PM
I don't know if that's entirely true. According to rotoworld (through NFP):

"The Dolphins are expected to make a "huge push" to sign G/C Jason Brown when the free agent market opens.

Brown may encounter the same problems with Miami he's having in talks with the Ravens. Baltimore will only give him top center money and he wants to be paid like a guard. Miami's need is at center, not his preferred position."

Several reports have come out saying Miami isn't happy with Satele at center, so they want a new one. I'm pretty sure Brown wants guard money, but Miami wants a center. They might very well give him the money, but keep him at C.

The Dolphins definitely prefer to have him at center but what I meant is they may be ready to oblige to paying him guard money to get him there. It might be not enough though because, as rotoworld states "Miami's need is at center, not his preferred position" and other teams are willing to play him at guard.

But if Brown reaches free agency, other teams could see him more as a guard than a center. Besides the Dolphins, the Jacksonville Jaguars (http://www.baltimoresun.com/topic/sports/football/jacksonville-jaguars-ORSPT000180.topic) and Washington Redskins (http://www.baltimoresun.com/topic/sports/football/washington-redskins-ORSPT000226.topic) are expected to be interested.

When asked about Brown at the NFL combine last weekend, Newsome talked about the possibility of losing players in free agency.

"My philosophy has always been right player, right price," Newsome said. "We do a good job of putting a value on what we think that player is worth for us. I always tell the players ... if there is a chance for them to go out and help their families, then go do it."

Brown, 25, is generally considered the top offensive lineman headed to free agency.

"I can tell you right now that I'm confident that there will be teams that will be looking at Jason as a guard and there will be teams that will be looking at him as a center," Lewis said.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-sp.ravens25feb25,0,5792694.story

psubills62
02-25-2009, 12:44 PM
The Dolphins definitely prefer to have him at center but what I meant is they may be ready to oblige to paying him guard money to get him there. It might be not enough though because, as rotoworld states "Miami's need is at center, not his preferred position" and other teams are willing to play him at guard.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-sp.ravens25feb25,0,5792694.story

Very true. I wouldn't mind if they overpaid for him. He's good, but I don't think he's in Birk's class.

Although I haven't seen any reports saying that the Fins are ready to pay him guard money. There have been hints, like that article, that say some team could pay him guard money, but I don't know...we'll see.

justasportsfan
02-25-2009, 12:45 PM
Besides the Dolphins, the Jacksonville Jaguars and Washington Redskins are expected to be interested.

No mention of the bills . this means he's ours ;)

Mahdi
02-25-2009, 12:47 PM
I love how you hear nothing substantial about possible Bills targets and then we hit FA early with a couple of guys you had no idea we'd sign.

ddaryl
02-25-2009, 12:48 PM
what boggles my mind is .. How the hell does a Center get paid less then a Guard. A center touches the ball on every Offensive play, and usually QB's the line assignments, and yet a guy like brown has to request G money to play a position that IMO should actually get paid more then a G to start with.

A C has to snap the ball and quickly engage some the biggest players in the game every single down...

Paying a talented C less then a top starting G is strange

floridajoe
02-25-2009, 01:05 PM
what boggles my mind is .. How the hell does a Center get paid less then a Guard. A center touches the ball on every Offensive play, and usually QB's the line assignments, and yet a guy like brown has to request G money to play a position that IMO should actually get paid more then a G to start with.

A C has to snap the ball and quickly engage some the biggest players in the game every single down...

I totally agree - ask Jim Kelly who the true hero of the Super teams was and he will tell you it was Kent Hull.

psubills62
02-25-2009, 01:09 PM

I agree...plus the C has to read the blitzes and call out the assignments.

It's an interesting thought...but I'd rather have a hole at an inexpensive position than an expensive position (like CB).

BillsWin
02-25-2009, 01:21 PM
I dont do hockey for the station. The station doesnt even cover the hockey league very much. they are a sister station with ESPN radio. So alot of NFL info. The guy asked what I did for work. I told him. The station covers NFL.

BillsWin
02-25-2009, 01:23 PM
Maybe his station is an ESPN affiliate station in Oklahoma?? I dont know for sure, but Im just saying.

Thank you draft boy. and yes it is.

BillsWin
02-25-2009, 01:24 PM
I'm going to guess Rocky Bernard is the DL-man....at least, I hope that's who it is.

That is a possibility :D

BillsWin
02-25-2009, 01:27 PM
Holiday inn

awe low blow. low blow.

The station is an ESPN affiliate in the south. We get WAY too much Cowboy coverage. TO this, Romo that. Makes me sick. On the off chance I have Buffalo news, I like to share. If you guys don't want to believe these rumors fine. Just don't take shots at my job.

psubills62
02-25-2009, 01:29 PM
That is a possibility :D

Well...way to get my hopes up http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/icons/icon7.gif

I think I just have to remember that even if a player is on top of their FA list, it doesn't mean they'll get him.

BillsWin
02-25-2009, 01:33 PM
Well...way to get my hopes up http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/icons/icon7.gif

I think I just have to remember that even if a player is on top of their FA list, it doesn't mean they'll get him.

Exactly. Once again to the masses, these are just rumors, this is what I was told. As the only Bills fan in the offices I constantly get emails with rumors like this. I was one of the first to know Losman was given the late season nod last year when Trent got injured. I got made fun of for that one. I remember it like it was yesterday... "Hey! did you hear! Losman is getting the start. I guess your Bills really are desperate. No playoffs for a decade... wow."

BillsWin
02-25-2009, 01:38 PM
Sean Jones SS, Chris Baker TE, Tank Johnson DT, Nate Washington WR

He's definetly an option, but Daniels is at the top of the list for the Bills at this point.

BillsWin
02-25-2009, 01:40 PM
A couple people have guessed right.

Good job.

T-Long
02-25-2009, 01:44 PM
I'll believe these names when I see it. I've worked for ESPN Radio and Yahoo Sports for 8 years now, and I have yet to hear anything concrete. All of this stuff is water cooler talk.

BillsWin
02-25-2009, 01:52 PM
I'll believe these names when I see it. I've worked for ESPN Radio and Yahoo Sports for 8 years now, and I have yet to hear anything concrete. All of this stuff is water cooler talk.
Could be. Its not like Goodell emailed me himself. These are all rumors. I've said several times nothing is concrete. Yahoo sports huh? That's a good gig man. ESPN Radio treating you well?

bigbub2352
02-25-2009, 01:59 PM
owen daniels is a restricted free agent 1st and a 3rd no way
chris baker is more Bills style just like robert royal overpaid and unpoductive

BillsWin
02-25-2009, 02:02 PM
owen daniels is a restricted free agent 1st and a 3rd no way
chris baker is more Bills style just like robert royal overpaid and unpoductive

The Bills are still looking at Daniels. They like him alot.
I dont think theyd give up that kind of compensation for him.

Tatonka
02-25-2009, 02:05 PM
He's definetly an option, but Daniels is at the top of the list for the Bills at this point.

i really dont see how daniels is the top of our list with the compensation required to get him and the fact that there is no rational reason why houston would want to get rid of him with no good TE behind him. i just doesnt make sense.

justasportsfan
02-25-2009, 02:06 PM
Bills will land Gonzo. Oh wait, they already tried that.

Tatonka
02-25-2009, 02:06 PM
chris baker sucks, btw.

bigbub2352
02-25-2009, 02:09 PM
The Bills are still looking at Daniels. They like him alot.
I dont think theyd give up that kind of compensation for him.

Yeah i just dont see us making the splash everyone thinks they are gonna cause of this regime and front office
Baker is a typical free agent signing for us that is why i said it
i like Tank Johnson thou and really think he would be solid here as well as played for DJ in a COver 2 scheme already in Chicago and wouldnt comand to much money, he also seems to have his act together now

T-Long
02-25-2009, 02:12 PM
Why the hell would we be interested in Tank Johnson? We are have enough trouble keeping Marshawn in line, now you want to add another cancer to the locker room? We have a better chance of landing Haynesworth then bringing in Tank.

ddaryl
02-25-2009, 02:13 PM
Yeah i just dont see us making the splash everyone thinks they are gonna cause of this regime and front office
Baker is a typical free agent signing for us that is why i said it
i like Tank Johnson thou and really think he would be solid here as well as played for DJ in a COver 2 scheme already in Chicago and wouldnt comand to much money, he also seems to have his act together now

we have to make a splash. We just robbed Toronto of about 90 million so there is no excuse to not to spend that money. We kept the same coaches despite the outcry from fans, and Wilson himself said we have a talent problem.

if we don't make a splash then I expect a full witch hunt for Ralphs head. You can't go selling off one home game a year, keep an inept coach and tell the fans we have a talent problem and then do nothing about it...

Bottom line is Ralph makes the splash, or we and the media need to make sure Ralph is truly exposed during his HOF induction year.

T-Long
02-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Could be. Its not like Goodell emailed me himself. These are all rumors. I've said several times nothing is concrete. Yahoo sports huh? That's a good gig man. ESPN Radio treating you well?

I just think people were getting all excited. The only rumors I ever put any stock into are ones that come from Adam Scheffter's blackberry.

Loved working for both companies...Yahoo Sports was by far the best experience. I love working with these guys...especially with the draft last year. I will be covering it this year as well.

ESPN Radio also was a blast, but had to leave there when I moved to California. Got to work with Michael Jordan, John Elway, Mario Lemeiux, etc when I was the Public Address Announcer at Mario's Golf Tourney in Pittsburgh.

floridajoe
02-25-2009, 02:17 PM
Why the hell would we be interested in Tank Johnson? We are have enough trouble keeping Marshawn in line, now you want to add another cancer to the locker room? We have a better chance of landing Haynesworth then bringing in Tank.

Agreed - please no more thugs. We can't afford to hire any more cops with the economy the way it is.

Mahdi
02-25-2009, 02:18 PM
chris baker sucks, btw.
I dont know what the hype about chris baker is... if he was so good the Jets wouldn't have drafted Dustin Keller. Baker is slightly better than Royal which isn't saying much.

Slim
02-25-2009, 02:20 PM
Cato June was a tackling machine when he played in Indy, but for whatever reason he wasn't in Tampa

He played weak side in Indy. And played strong side in Tampa. So, in Tampa he was out of position.

Mahdi
02-25-2009, 02:23 PM
He played weak side in Indy. And played strong side in Tampa. So, in Tampa he was out of position.
Well Mitchell plays weak side for the Bills so we have no use for Cato June.

Slim
02-25-2009, 02:26 PM
Well Mitchell plays weak side for the Bills so we have no use for Cato June.

That's correct.

billogic99
02-25-2009, 02:39 PM
DISCLAIMER: THESE ARE OBVIOUSLY JUST RUMORS AND BE TREATED AS SUCH, JUST BECAUSE THESE PLAYERS ARE TARGETS DOESN'T MEAN WE WILL SIGN THEM. Carry on.

I think as long as players choose where they play and we continue to filed a sub 500 team, we will be very lucky to land a big name FA. I think we land FA's that aren't getting much attention form other teams, even if the Bills land a big name chances of us winning anytime soon are not good. DJ just isn't a winner.

Tatonka
02-25-2009, 02:48 PM
I dont know what the hype about chris baker is... if he was so good the Jets wouldn't have drafted Dustin Keller. Baker is slightly better than Royal which isn't saying much.

i dont even know if he is slightly better.. not really with the learning curve of the offense.. he would probably be worse actually.

methos4ever
02-25-2009, 03:03 PM
Hey DB, maybe you didn't see this, which came out a little bit ago:

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_11774999

"The Vikings weren't on the tip of the tongues of agents and NFL coaches, personnel executives and scouts in Indianapolis, where the NFL combine concluded Tuesday, and little buzz surrounded the purple.

But the most high-profile player the Vikings could make a run at is guard-center Jason Brown of the Baltimore Ravens.

Two NFL sources said that was the scuttlebutt about the Vikings making the rounds in Indianapolis. "

DraftBoy
02-25-2009, 03:58 PM
Hey DB, maybe you didn't see this, which came out a little bit ago:

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_11774999

"The Vikings weren't on the tip of the tongues of agents and NFL coaches, personnel executives and scouts in Indianapolis, where the NFL combine concluded Tuesday, and little buzz surrounded the purple.

But the most high-profile player the Vikings could make a run at is guard-center Jason Brown of the Baltimore Ravens.

Two NFL sources said that was the scuttlebutt about the Vikings making the rounds in Indianapolis. "

KFFL had a report out this morning about them working on a deal with Birk and it almost being done. They may bring in Brown to plat OG which is where he wants to play.

floridajoe
02-25-2009, 04:03 PM
KFFL had a report out this morning about them working on a deal with Birk and it almost being done. They may bring in Brown to plat OG which is where he wants to play.

A big double whammy to the Bills

X-Era
02-25-2009, 04:07 PM
A big double whammy to the Bills

The first part is rumor, the second is tampering.

I will believe it when I see it.

floridajoe
02-25-2009, 04:13 PM
The first part is rumor, the second is tampering.

I will believe it when I see it.

I'd like to think we're in play for one of those guys. I don't like Saturday for many reasons and Meester is really several notches below them all.

X-Era
02-25-2009, 04:16 PM
I'd like to think we're in play for one of those guys. I don't like Saturday for many reasons and Meester is really several notches below them all.

So the only reason we are not in play for Jason Brown is because we havent heard it in the news anywhere? :rolleyes:

Well, using that logic, Marcus Stroud is still with Jax.

I found the rumor on a Jax message board before it became true.

Miami and Bill have big mouths, it doesnt make them land any more free agents.

I trust that we will get who we want. Whether thats Jason Brown or not remains to be seen.

floridajoe
02-25-2009, 04:26 PM
So the only reason we are not in play for Jason Brown is because we havent heard it in the news anywhere? :rolleyes:

Well, using that logic, Marcus Stroud is still with Jax.

I found the rumor on a Jax message board before it became true.

Miami and Bill have big mouths, it doesnt make them land any more free agents.

I trust that we will get who we want. Whether thats Jason Brown or not remains to be seen.

That's not whta I said - I would just like us to be in play, that's all

Yasgur's Farm
02-25-2009, 04:30 PM
So... We're apparently targeting S Gibril Wilson, DT Rocky Bernard and TE Owen Daniels.

I guess Daniels would be the cherry on top of the sundae unless the C is Jason Brown... But I can't see where we have enough draft picks to give up for both Daniels and Brown.

justasportsfan
02-25-2009, 04:35 PM
It was rumored that we wanted Gonzo, how did that turn out?

X-Era
02-25-2009, 04:41 PM
That's not whta I said - I would just like us to be in play, that's all

No, no, dont get my eyeroll wrong... its not directed at you. Its merely saying we arent precluded from doing anything just because we havent seen it rumored anywhere yet.

I think we are very much in play.

X-Era
02-25-2009, 04:42 PM
So... We're apparently targeting S Gibril Wilson, DT Rocky Bernard and TE Owen Daniels.

I guess Daniels would be the cherry on top of the sundae unless the C is Jason Brown... But I can't see where we have enough draft picks to give up for both Daniels and Brown.

How are we giving up picks for Brown?

Yasgur's Farm
02-25-2009, 04:44 PM
Isn't he a RFA? I'd assume he'd be tendered at least at the 1st round level.

X-Era
02-25-2009, 04:52 PM
Isn't he a RFA? I'd assume he'd be tendered at least at the 1st round level.

No, Brown is a UFA.

Yasgur's Farm
02-25-2009, 04:56 PM
I'd say that rounds out the list then...

Jason Brown
Owen Daniels - Gonna cost us #11
Gibril Wilson
Rocky Bernard

Add Bryant Johnson and I'm done rubbing out!!!

DraftBoy
02-25-2009, 04:59 PM
I dont want Owen Daniels at the cost he's going to come at. Ill pass on him all day long.

casdhf
02-25-2009, 05:17 PM
It was rumored that we wanted Gonzo, how did that turn out? We had a deal in place to bring him here. Gonzo blocked it. How is that the Bills fault?

X-Era
02-25-2009, 05:24 PM
We had a deal in place to bring him here. Gonzo blocked it. How is that the Bills fault?

If anything, and if the reports were true at that time, we made the best offer for him.

I think the Bills do a decent job of doing what it takes to get the guys they want.

That said, they dont tend to go after the best available but rather second tier type guys.

BillsWin
02-25-2009, 05:31 PM
I just think people were getting all excited. The only rumors I ever put any stock into are ones that come from Adam Scheffter's blackberry.

Loved working for both companies...Yahoo Sports was by far the best experience. I love working with these guys...especially with the draft last year. I will be covering it this year as well.

ESPN Radio also was a blast, but had to leave there when I moved to California. Got to work with Michael Jordan, John Elway, Mario Lemeiux, etc when I was the Public Address Announcer at Mario's Golf Tourney in Pittsburgh.

That's awesome man. It's nice to see someone who is in the same field as me, but has been there for a few years. Im fresh out of college and still taking a class or two. I got this gig with the Station over the summer. Love it! It's like a sports war room as free agency approaches. What I really want to do is go pro covering either NFL or NHL. I love hockey and have one an award for my play-by-play. Its just something im passionate about. Good deal on getting the yahoo job, Ive heard they are a great employer!

BillsWin
02-25-2009, 05:34 PM
I'd say that rounds out the list then...

Jason Brown
Owen Daniels - Gonna cost us #11
Gibril Wilson
Rocky Bernard

Add Bryant Johnson and I'm done rubbing out!!!

The only two I will verify are on the list I got are: Rocky and Daniels.

I won't say for certain on the others.

All I said about Wilson was that that was an interesting idea. Who are the other safteys we may be targeting? think :D

BillsWin
02-25-2009, 05:35 PM
Oh I hate getting negative rep where I am not deserving... :P

BillsWin
02-25-2009, 05:37 PM
for the person who sent me the "you're a tool." comment. That hurt. it hurt real bad...

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd look at that! I bounced back.

:D

X-Era
02-25-2009, 05:38 PM
That's awesome man. It's nice to see someone who is in the same field as me, but has been there for a few years. Im fresh out of college and still taking a class or two. I got this gig with the Station over the summer. Love it! It's like a sports war room as free agency approaches. What I really want to do is go pro covering either NFL or NHL. I love hockey and have one an award for my play-by-play. Its just something im passionate about. Good deal on getting the yahoo job, Ive heard they are a great employer!

So, let me ask you this...

And I ask this in a way that begs you to answer as a fan, not someone who might know anything... :rolleyes:

Who would you "like" us to sign in free agency?

Just wondering :whistling

YOu certainly cant get into any trouble if you simply say whom you would like us to sign...

Give me one guy you would "like" to have out of the following positions :whistling:

1) D Line
2) TE
3) Safety
4) C

Just a simple question about who we like from one fan to another :whistling

floridajoe
02-25-2009, 05:38 PM
The only two I will verify are on the list I got are: Rocky and Daniels.

I won't say for certain on the others.

All I said about Wilson was that that was an interesting idea. Who are the other safteys we may be targeting? think :D

Phillips?

X-Era
02-25-2009, 05:40 PM
Like, would you say, you would "like" us to sign Roy Williams? :whistling

BillsWin
02-25-2009, 05:48 PM
Of course I would "Like" Meester.

BillsWin
02-25-2009, 05:57 PM
I might also "like" Florence...

X-Era
02-25-2009, 06:06 PM
I might also "like" Florence...

Drayton Florence? I thought he was a CB?

Hes 6' 195... At best hes a FS.

That said, I like his game as a CB. I have been a fan of his for a while. Hes a cheap version of a solid CB.

The part I dont see, is that Whitners move to FS may be permanent so then why add another FS type?

BillsWin
02-25-2009, 06:50 PM
Drayton Florence? I thought he was a CB?

Hes 6' 195... At best hes a FS.

That said, I like his game as a CB. I have been a fan of his for a while. Hes a cheap version of a solid CB.

The part I dont see, is that Whitners move to FS may be permanent so then why add another FS type?

no clue. here is part of the email.

" A source close to NFL team, the Buffalo Bills, has given information that the Buffalo Bills are interested in several free agents. Among them are S: Drayton Florence, DT: Rocky Bernard, C: Brad Meester, and the Bills are possibly interested in making a trade for TE: Owen Daniels. "

It said safety in the email, so I went with it!

The rest of the email just says stuff like, Bernard would possibly be all-world next to Stroud. Daniels is coveted by the Bills organization. Florence is depth. Meester brings experience.

I would love it if this comes to be true!

All rumors. The guy who sent me that though leaked the Ko getting benched move during the season. So it is usually reliable info.

Take it for as it is. You guys beat it out of me.

Now unless I get more information, that is all I will say on this subject. good night.

Nighthawk
02-25-2009, 06:53 PM
Nothing there really makes this team better...IMO. Maybe Daniels, but the others are average starters at best. I don't know...I just want to see what they do, but I have no confidence that this organization knows how to build a winner.

Tatonka
02-25-2009, 07:05 PM
if the bills gave up anything like a 1st round pick for owen daniels, they can go **** themselves. that would be the worst move ever. we could have pettigrew at 11 if you really want to waste it on a TE that bad.

X-Era
02-25-2009, 07:28 PM
Nothing there really makes this team better...IMO. Maybe Daniels, but the others are average starters at best. I don't know...I just want to see what they do, but I have no confidence that this organization knows how to build a winner.
Unfortunately, I agree for the most part.

The concept should be significant upgrades, not marginal upgrades.

Meester is a upgrade by default. Hes not a star, but serviceable, and certainly a solid player. Yes, hes an upgrade to what we had. But hes not a guy that makes us great at C either.

Bernard is a solid DT. He sgot solid numbers and does it every year. Hes also not a top guy at DT. But I think having a solid DT to get in the rotation makes Stroud better as well as Kyle. Its a decent, but not great signing (if it happens).

Florence, to me at least, is a can be good but certainly not great CB. But I see him strictly as a CB. He can play, hes had his moments. But hes not a lock down guy that you put up against the top WR's in the league. Greer, to me, is a better CB right now. So, its a better than nothing signing, certianly adds depth, but its only a bit above the Will James signing last year if it happens.

Daniels would be a nice pickup. Thats a trade that makes us better and is a significant upgrade to what we have right now. However, I must say that I could see as good or better receiving TE options coming from the draft. Travis Beckum, for example, is going to stretch the field day one and make great grabs. He also wont cost you a 1st round pick. It will be interesting to see what the Bills offer for this trade, if they do. I think if its anything more than a 3rd, you could make an arguement that we might have a better chance from the draft to get a great player. Yes, you can make the arguement that a draftee is unknown. But you can also argue that Beckum offers more potential in the vertical game than Daniels may ever be able to.

Overall its a solid, but for the most part lackluster group... Its classic Bills free agency for sure.

floridajoe
02-25-2009, 07:31 PM
Well, its a good thing that none of this is really set in stone and is just assumptions based on an alleged email from an alleged source, isnt it?

X-Era
02-25-2009, 07:41 PM
Well, its a good thing that none of this is really set in stone and is just assumptions based on an alleged email from an alleged source, isnt it?

Yes, true.

In fact, using my ideas on new SPAM rules, it would have to be bounced due to no real link.

That said, its the offseason, this is fun, so why not enjoy it.

jimbohastle51
02-25-2009, 07:49 PM
ddaryl, thanks for the message. I'm excited too! I wish the Bills would pull the trigger on some of these players.
i know the TE is going to be owen daniels, weather we pay him and the texans dont match or we sign greer and trade mcgee and a draft pick for him, i really feel he is going to be a bill.

jimbohastle51
02-25-2009, 07:54 PM
if the bills gave up anything like a 1st round pick for owen daniels, they can go **** themselves. that would be the worst move ever. we couhave pettigrew at 11 if you really want to waste it on a TE that bad.

pettigrew was not only slower than dirt at the combine but he had pour hands as well. no way he gets picked at 11. i would rather see us trade our 11th pick for owen daniels than draft a TE or a DE there. there is no REAL TRUE 4-3 pass rushing DE for us at 11 and no TE worth that high of a pick. i say work it out one way or another for owen daniels and sign meester, florence is not being picked up to play saftey, if he is brought in it is to replace a corner on there way out which i think is happening if we resign greer, because houston needs a corner as bad as we need a saftey. MCGEE AND A 3rd ROUND PICK FOR DANIELS!

SeatownBillsFan21
02-25-2009, 07:54 PM
Sounds more realistic than a lot of other things ive read on BillsZone as far as rumors and trades people would like to see ie Lynch

Michael82
02-25-2009, 09:10 PM
Hmmm, if this is the case, it would help us take care of the talent issue that Ralph said that we had last year. I'm trying to think of a few names....

This is what I got....

S Gibril Wilson
DE Antonio Smith
C Jeff Saturday
TE Owen Daniels (I see us doing everything possible to trade for him)

Michael82
02-25-2009, 09:19 PM
no clue. here is part of the email.

" A source close to NFL team, the Buffalo Bills, has given information that the Buffalo Bills are interested in several free agents. Among them are S: Drayton Florence, DT: Rocky Bernard, C: Brad Meester, and the Bills are possibly interested in making a trade for TE: Owen Daniels. "

It said safety in the email, so I went with it!

The rest of the email just says stuff like, Bernard would possibly be all-world next to Stroud. Daniels is coveted by the Bills organization. Florence is depth. Meester brings experience.

I would love it if this comes to be true!

All rumors. The guy who sent me that though leaked the Ko getting benched move during the season. So it is usually reliable info.

Take it for as it is. You guys beat it out of me.

Now unless I get more information, that is all I will say on this subject. good night.
Oh wow! What a scoop. I like some of that. I still prefer Brown, Birk or Saturday over Meester. But it's still a good pickup at Center. I also love the Rocky Bernard pickup, he's a pretty good DT and would be even better, next to Stroud. My favorite is Owen Daniels. IMO, he's one of the top 5 TEs in the league and would give us the solid, pass catching TE that we have been needing for years...

As for Florence, I don't like or understand the pickup. We have other needs, IMO.

Michael82
02-25-2009, 09:27 PM

Sorry, but Scheffter got it wrong so many times last offseason (ie. Bryant Johnson). I don't believe any of those idiots on ESPN or NFL Network, until Chris Brown or BuffaloBills.com reports it.

The last buffalo fan
02-25-2009, 09:37 PM
Sorry, but Scheffter got it wrong so many times last offseason (ie. Bryant Johnson). I don't believe any of those idiots on ESPN or NFL Network, until Chris Brown or BuffaloBills.com reports it.

:hi5:

WeAreArthurMoates
02-25-2009, 09:50 PM
I'm praying we land Gibril Wilson. That's the big move I want except for us to get Daniels. Though I think thats more of a pipe dream. I like Bernard and would be a good 2nd tackle but rather have Tank. Meester interests me. This guy is vastly underrated and there line was awful with him out of the line up this year. He a tough son of a ***** and that's what we need most, we get him we can draft Shipley, Caldwell in the forth. All in all we make these moves I will be happy going into the draft.

jamze132
02-26-2009, 03:51 AM
I guess we will all find out in less than 24 hours...

THE END OF ALL DAYS
02-26-2009, 06:54 AM
I'm technically not even allowed to release information before it is 100% or AP clears it to the station. As always these are rumors. But so I don't get suspended or fired, you guys need to do the leg work on guessing the names.

as an employer, i'd have already fired your ass for posting this... seems like a breech of confidence already

as a bills fan THANK YOU :)

billogic99
02-26-2009, 07:54 AM
I'm praying we land Gibril Wilson. That's the big move I want except for us to get Daniels. Though I think thats more of a pipe dream. I like Bernard and would be a good 2nd tackle but rather have Tank. Meester interests me. This guy is vastly underrated and there line was awful with him out of the line up this year. He a tough son of a ***** and that's what we need most, we get him we can draft Shipley, Caldwell in the forth. All in all we make these moves I will be happy going into the draft.

The Dolphins got Wilson,

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9267562/Dolphins-reach-deal-with-free-agent-safety-Wilson

WeAreArthurMoates
02-26-2009, 08:06 AM
Ya I just read that freaking sucks. I really want to improve the safety position and hope we take a run at Sean Jones. This is the guy I wanted before Wilson was cut, so I hope he's on the radar.

Jan Reimers
02-26-2009, 08:22 AM
I think we have no chance in the Jason Brown derby, if the Dolphins are involved.

billogic99
02-26-2009, 08:32 AM
I think we have no chance in the Jason Brown derby, if the Dolphins are involved.

Why?

Jan Reimers
02-26-2009, 08:55 AM
Why?
They have Bill Parcells. We have Russ Brandon. They have ownership willing to spend big money on top talent. We don't. They made a remarkable turn around last year and made the playoffs. We didn't. The Fins seem to be committed to winning. We seem to be committed to mediocrity (9 straight years with no playoffs and a coach who's gone 7-9 for 3 consecutive seasons.) Fun in the sun vs. freezing in the snow and wind.

But who knows?

billogic99
02-26-2009, 09:03 AM
They have Bill Parcells. We have Russ Brandon. They have ownership willing to spend big money on top talent. We don't. They made a remarkable turn around last year and made the playoffs. We didn't. The Fins seem to be committed to winning. We seem to be committed to mediocrity (9 straight years with no playoffs and a coach who's gone 7-9 for 3 consecutive seasons.) Fun in the sun vs. freezing in the snow and wind.

But who knows?

I understand your logic, I just know there's been a lot of talk about the Bills spending some money this year. Normally, we don't hear those rumors, so maybe there's some truth to it. Besides the Bills do manage to make at least one big FA splash every year, maybe this year it's Brown.

T-Long
02-26-2009, 09:11 AM
Why do people keep saying we don't spend money? Have you seen the contracts we have given out lately?? Two years ago we spent a **** load of money on 3 OL, last year we gave a big deal to Kawika and traded for Marcus Stroud. Those are big moves to me and not cheap in any sense.

Plus we just resigned Evans. I honestly think Brandon is doing a helluva job. Now Modrak? That is very debatable. He had his share of hits, but a good amount of misses as well.

Jan Reimers
02-26-2009, 09:24 AM
Why do people keep saying we don't spend money? Have you seen the contracts we have given out lately?? Two years ago we spent a **** load of money on 3 OL, last year we gave a big deal to Kawika and traded for Marcus Stroud. Those are big moves to me and not cheap in any sense.

Plus we just resigned Evans. I honestly think Brandon is doing a helluva job. Now Modrak? That is very debatable. He had his share of hits, but a good amount of misses as well.
We spend money, but not always wisely. Look at Schobel, Kelsay, Dockery and Spencer Johnson. But we have tried to upgrade in recent years, and I'll give the FO credit for that.

THATHURMANATOR
02-26-2009, 09:34 AM
Is Meester really any good? The dude is 32 years old and I really haven't heard much about him.

tomz
02-26-2009, 12:28 PM
Folks: Just a thought, but is it possible that Dockery was cut as part of the effort to lure Jason Brown, to make it clear to him that guard is an option, since he has stated that guard is his preference?

THATHURMANATOR
02-26-2009, 12:32 PM
Is Jason Brown all that great for that matter? He seems to be the popular name out there but before a couple months ago I had never heard of the guy.