PDA

View Full Version : Ya know, its not like...

X-Era
02-25-2009, 05:32 PM
Jason Brown is a risk free pickup.

Hes only started at C for one year.

We dont lose the offseason war, necessarily, if we dont get Brown.

I see a vet being our pickup... more like Saturday or Birk. And then we probably add a draftee. That may actually be a better solution.

Why?

Well if we sign Brown to a very large contract by the way, we become much less likely to draft a C. So then who do we have as our backup?

If we end up with say Saturday and then Unger or say Wood as our backup, we may end up a stronger team due to depth.

I think many dont worry as much about depth. But 07 and in part 08 were hugely affected by injuries. So, it follows, that imporving our depth will also affect our wins and losses.

Add a vet and a draftee C/G type and we may be better off than going strictly after Brown.

patmoran2006
02-25-2009, 06:00 PM
Sign his ass.

patmoran2006
02-25-2009, 06:00 PM
Depth = Preston (bring him back), Chambers, and sign another quality depth guy.

X-Era
02-25-2009, 06:03 PM
Depth = Preston (bring him back), Chambers, and sign another quality depth guy.

Preston is quality depth? Did you watch the last game?

Im sorry, but Preston inst getting any better and has proven now that he isnt ready to be a starter. So then why continue down that road? Bring in a rook who can develop and maybe become what we supposedly hope Preston would have become when we drafted him.

patmoran2006
02-25-2009, 06:04 PM
Do you expect to sign $2-3 million per year backups as depth?

Preston is good enough for depth and he can play 3 positions.

floridajoe
02-25-2009, 06:05 PM
Unger and Wood would be depth for both Center and Guard and thus great picks - I'd take either

X-Era
02-25-2009, 06:13 PM
Do you expect to sign $2-3 million per year backups as depth?

Preston is good enough for depth and he can play 3 positions.

Yes. The Bills have made it a bad habit to have undrafted, never played players as their primary backups (not that it applies in this case) but that has had real negative costs for us when these guys get pressed into service.

Part of getting better goes beyond just the starters... I feel it includes getting better at our backup spots as well.