I"m predicting Bills will release high priced vet tomorrow (Thursday)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

I"m predicting Bills will release high priced vet tomorrow (Thursday)

I have reason to believe the BIlls are very close to releasing a high priced veteran tomorrow before free agency. And it may be that his name would rhyme with "Mockery"

LOL, well not laughing.. Seriously.. Dont be the least bit surprised if you see a "big" name Bill getting cut tomorrow.

YOu heard it hear first, beeothces!! (that's my professionalism speaking)

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Re: I"m predicting Bills will release high priced vet tomorrow (Thursday)

I really can't see them giving up on Dockery. Number 1, our Guard depth is pathetic. and he's our best Guard. Plus, we don't save any money by cutting him....

Comment

• ZacGriffi~82
      • Jun 2003

Murphy randomly threw in a line about the Bills getting ready to release a high priced vet before free agency on the 11:00 news. He knows something.
      www.billsaddiction.com -The Home of Bills Addicts-

Comment

• Michael82
        • Jul 2002

Come on Chris Kelsay. Take one for the team.....

Comment

• hammerbillsfan
          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by patmoran2006
          YOu heard it hear first, beeothces!! (that's my professionalism speaking)
          that's the booze talking

Comment

• Michael82
            • Jul 2002

hmmm, if we cut him, maybe it means that we want to make Jason Brown our LG.

Comment

• Coach Sal
              • Aug 2006

He signed a 7-year deal in 2007 and we gave him a $16million signing bonus.

That means almost $2.3 mil counts against the cap each year (not incluing his salary).

He's played 2 of the 7 seasns so far, which leaves 5 years of the bonus still not counted.

5 years x $2.3 mil = $11.5 million accelerates into this year's cap if he is cut.

Am I missing something? Correct me if I'm wrong on this.
              Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
              And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage

Comment

• Coach Sal
                • Aug 2006

If there was a "high priced vet" released, looking over the contracts, I think Ryan Denney could be a candidate.

I'd say he qualifies as a "high priced vet" at $2.4 mil. He also only has one year left on his deal. So, that's all that would really count against the cap anyway, and he's not exactly a cornerstone player.
                Click to listen:

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Comment

• clumping platelets

His cap savings would be about $350,000 if released. Not all his bonus money was signing bonus and bonuses could only be amortized 6 yrs when he signed. About half was roster bonuses

Comment

• Coach Sal
                    • Aug 2006

3/2/2007: Signed a seven-year, $49 million contract. The deal contains $18.5 million guaranteed, including a $16 million signing bonus. $8.1 million of the signing bonus was paid immediately. 2009: $2.75 million, 2010: $4.5 million, 2011: $5.65 million, 2012: $6.575 million, 2013: $6.775 million, 2014: Free Agent
                    But even though they paid it "immediately" as far as cash, doesn't it it still get spread evenly throughout the length of the deal for cap purposes?

Other candidates (don't know of all these figuires are right, just going by the raw numbers and math)?
                    --Ryan Denney (save $2.4 mil cash this season; hardly any cap hit)
                    --Robert Royal (save $1.5 mil cash this season; about $3.2 mil cap hit)
                    --Aaron Schobel (save $3.5 mil cash this season; but close to $10 mil cap hit)
                    --Chris Kelsay (save $3 mil this season; $4 mil cap hit)
                    --??
                    Last edited by Coach Sal; 02-26-2009, 12:04 AM.
                    Click to listen:

Comment

• clumping platelets

$3 million roster bonus counts $3 million on the cap in the year paid.

Only signing bonuses (and signing bonuses labeled as option payments) are amortized. But the CBA dictates yrs of amortization. Signing bonuses rec'd in 2009 can only be amortized for 5 yrs

Comment

• Michael82
                        • Jul 2002

With the "uncapped" year coming next year....does this change the rules in cuts and free agent signings? Are there certain rules that no long apply?

Comment

• clumping platelets

Yes, it would be better for you to google that right now

Comment

• Coach Sal
                            • Aug 2006

Originally posted by clumping platelets
                            $3 million roster bonus counts $3 million on the cap in the year paid.

Only signing bonuses (and signing bonuses labeled as option payments) are amortized. But the CBA dictates yrs of amortization. Signing bonuses rec'd in 2009 can only be amortized for 5 yrs
                            OK. So, outn of his $16 mil signing bonus, $8.1 was paid - and counted - right away.

That still leaves $7.9 mil in bonuses over the 6-years of amortization. That equals $1.31 mil counting against the cap per year (7.9 divided by 6).

He's played 2 of those years. That leaves 4 years amortization remaining.

If he gets cut, those 4 years get accelerated into this year's cap.
                            So, 4 x $1.3 mil = $5.25 mil counted againt cap.

He is scheduled to make $2.75 mil this year.
                            5.25 - 2.75 = $2.5 million cap hit total.

What am I doing wrong?
                            Click to listen:

Comment

• methos4ever
                              • Apr 2004

Sal,
                              Don't forget his salary, which they could have guaranteed for the first few years, thus also involved in that bonus.

Comment

Working...
                              X