PDA

View Full Version : Is Johnson counted out as a #2?

BillsWin
02-26-2009, 01:49 AM
With Hardy coming off an injury and nothing but midget wide receivers standing in the kids way. What with a strong learning push and performance towards the end of last season, is there any reason to really count Steve Johnson out as a number 2?

The kid has done nothing but show us he is ready to play and make some sort of contribution. Call it favoritism, ( I picked him to go as high as the 4th round last year and loved the pick in the 7th), but I have this gut feeling that Johnson is something special.

yeah, yeah. "BLAH BLAH you're an idiot, he's a 7th round pick, BLAH BLAH BLAH."

spare me. It is just an opinion.

I feel like Johnson is good enough to possibly challenge Reed for his 2nd WR spot, pushing Reed to his natural position of slot.

I'm interested in your thoughts on the subject.

To me, the kid has potential, and with a good camp he could do some damage.

:rockon:

jamze132
02-26-2009, 03:34 AM
I like what Steve Johnson showed last year. I am not ready to announce him as the #2 since FA hasn't even started yet. But I do think he will challenge Hardy for playing time...

Dujek
02-26-2009, 03:52 AM
Johnson could be a good receiver in the NFL, and could develop into a solid #2 here, but I don't think he's quite ready to be the #2 guy just yet.

Night Train
02-26-2009, 04:02 AM
This why you draft players...to give them a legit shot at contributing. He's in the mix.

Bringing in a solid Vet like Ike Hillard for a couple years isn't a bad idea. Then guys like Hardy & Johnson can learn a ton from him, which could benefit us over the long run.

X-Era
02-26-2009, 05:57 AM
With Hardy coming off an injury and nothing but midget wide receivers standing in the kids way. What with a strong learning push and performance towards the end of last season, is there any reason to really count Steve Johnson out as a number 2?

The kid has done nothing but show us he is ready to play and make some sort of contribution. Call it favoritism, ( I picked him to go as high as the 4th round last year and loved the pick in the 7th), but I have this gut feeling that Johnson is something special.

I feel like Johnson is good enough to possibly challenge Reed for his 2nd WR spot, pushing Reed to his natural position of slot.

I like him too. I think hes going to get playing time and hopefully will continue to show he can play in this league. But I dont think he will be able to earn the #2 role this year.

don137
02-26-2009, 06:28 AM
Wasn't Colston of the Saints a seventh round pick? I agree that seventh rounders do not get the opportunity that second rounders and they are given a harder hill to climb. He clearly outplayed Hardy last year and think he is closer to being a #2 over Hardy however I don't think either are quite ready. Maybe he will take it to the next step next year but right now he is a better #3 than #2.

DraftBoy
02-26-2009, 07:33 AM
10 total catches, lets see the guy grab upwards of 30 or 40 balls in a season before we begin to annoit him anything.

THATHURMANATOR
02-26-2009, 07:45 AM

Why would you put him ahead of Josh Reed?

ddaryl
02-26-2009, 07:55 AM
I think the Bills were too scared to give the guy more opportunities last year.

We had a great reason to get him many more touches before the season ended yet the coaches barely got him on the field and rarely called his number. He made the most out of the opportunities he did get.

Hopefully he gets quality opportuity during traing camp and pre-season

Pinkerton Security
02-26-2009, 07:56 AM

almost everyone on the board agrees that johnson is not your typical 7th rounder, and most think he can be a good player. so dont hurt yourself while you pat your own back, bud.

psubills62
02-26-2009, 07:57 AM
I think he has the potential for it, and I'm sure he'll be given a chance to start.

That being said, DB is right - he hasn't proven anything yet. He performed better than expected, which for a 7th rounder isn't too difficult. I like the kid, I just don't want to assume he'll develop into a legitimate #2. If we can upgrade the position through FA or the draft, we might as well.

justasportsfan
02-26-2009, 08:08 AM
10 total catches, lets see the guy grab upwards of 30 or 40 balls in a season before we begin to annoit him anything.
no one is anointing him anything

Jan Reimers
02-26-2009, 08:14 AM
I think it's just too early to tell, and we need a veteran FA or a relatively high draft pick to provide some competition in camp. The Bills' - at this point - can't assume either Hardy or Johnson will be a suitable number 2.

yordad
02-26-2009, 08:44 AM
I think he will win the #2 this year if we don't make an addition. Unless our coaches are blind. But then again, I said that about Jackson and Greer a year or two before them too, so we will see.

Oh, worth noting I said it about McCargo too, so I've been wrong before.

Ebenezer
02-26-2009, 08:47 AM
I think some should stop playing fantasy with the roster.

T-Long
02-26-2009, 08:57 AM
I really like Steve Johnson. A #2? Not just yet, but he could at least be a 3. I just think that somebody (Reed or Parrish) is going to get let go....and I don't think it's going to be Reed (b/c of the on-field relationship with Trent).

1. Evans
2. Hardy (or FA or Maclin in Draft)
3. Reed
4. Johnson
5. Jenkins

Ebenezer
02-26-2009, 09:09 AM
I really like Steve Johnson. A #2? Not just yet, but he could at least be a 3. I just think that somebody (Reed or Parrish) is going to get let go....and I don't think it's going to be Reed (b/c of the on-field relationship with Trent).

1. Evans
2. Hardy (or FA or Maclin in Draft)
3. Reed
4. Johnson
5. Jenkins
Why no Parrish?

I'm betting Hardy doesn't even have a cup of coffee with the team in '09. Johnson and Jenkins as 3 and 4? This team will be sunk.

Al the Bills Fan
02-26-2009, 09:18 AM
I like Stevie Johnson. I think that eventually he can and will be a special player and that people will look back and call him the steal of the 7th round last year. Will that happen this year? Who knows!!! Obviously as a fan I hope so, but remember WR is generally considered to be one of the hardest positions to make an impact in the first three years.

bigbub2352
02-26-2009, 09:48 AM
To early to tell with him, but the potential, size, work ethic are all there he mite really press for the number 3-4 spot and u mite see parrish phased out more in the offense
Steve Johnson can make plays in the redzone something our little guys cant that alone should give him a chance to be a contributer early and often this season

Tatonka
02-26-2009, 09:50 AM
if he shows up to play and does well, he will start. period.

it is up to steve johnson as to whether or not he is the number 2 wr on this team.

the best wr we have will be on the field.

DraftBoy
02-26-2009, 10:42 AM
He wont be the #2 guy, I dont see it happening. Josh Reed because of his blocking ability will be the #2 guy and Johnson will really have to show more than he did last season to be above the #4 guy role.

Right now nobody is close to Reed in terms of being an all-around WR to challenge him. The idea of Johnson as the #2 based on what little he did last season is nuts.

yordad
02-26-2009, 11:00 AM
He wont be the #2 guy, I dont see it happening. Josh Reed because of his blocking ability will be the #2 guy and Johnson will really have to show more than he did last season to be above the #4 guy role.

Right now nobody is close to Reed in terms of being an all-around WR to challenge him. The idea of Johnson as the #2 based on what little he did last season is nuts.I base it on my made up stat "production/playing-time". He had more TDs as a rookie then Reed has had the past 2 years combined. Also, he is a capible, willing blocker. He is faster, taller, stronger, and has good hands. It is a matter of time.

Can I predict greatness? No, not yet. But, he doesn't need to be great to start, he just needs to be better then Reed. Besides, Reed is more suited for the slot.

Also, Reed reportably has back issues.

I think Reed will start he season. We will go three wide early and often. When we do, Reed will slip down to the slot, and Johnson will go to the outside. We will see if he can earn it.

Time will tell.

DraftBoy
02-26-2009, 11:04 AM
I base it on my made up stat "production/playing-time". He had more TDs as a rookie then Reed has had the past 2 years combined. Also, he is a capible, willing blocker. He is faster, taller, stronger, and has good hands. It is a matter of time.

Can I predict greatness? No, not yet. But, he doesn't need to be great to start, he just needs to be better then Reed. Besides, Reed is more suited for the slot.

Also, Reed reportably has back issues.

I think Reed will start he season. We will go three wide early and often. When we do, Reed will slip down to the slot, and Johnson will go to the outside. We will see if he can earn it.

Time will tell.

He also gets less attention then Reed and was often defended by a slower LB or S, as opposed to a CB like Reed. He is a willing blocker but the capable part you dont know about. He was never in run blocking and he's nowhere near Reed's skill level at that. And you fail to mention how clutch Reed has been for us on 3rd Down in the past. The guy always seemed to find the soft spot just beyond the sticks and sit down in it for a much needed first down.

justasportsfan
02-26-2009, 11:07 AM
if he shows up to play and does well, he will start. period.
Unfortunately, that isn't always the case with this staff. We tend to go with who was drafted higher.

yordad
02-26-2009, 11:40 AM
He also gets less attention then Reed and was often defended by a slower LB or S, as opposed to a CB like Reed. He is a willing blocker but the capable part you dont know about. He was never in run blocking and he's nowhere near Reed's skill level at that. And you fail to mention how clutch Reed has been for us on 3rd Down in the past. The guy always seemed to find the soft spot just beyond the sticks and sit down in it for a much needed first down.Reed can still use his blocking and third down clutchness.... on third downs. From the slot. We have been known to run a draw play or two in that situation.

nateodoms'bff
02-26-2009, 01:15 PM

For starters, Josh Reed is a natural slot receiver.

That being said, Johnson has the size, hands, and speed, to be a number one on this team. He is a true possession receiver.

I'm not saying he is a number 1, I'm saying he has the skills to be the number 1.

If given the ability to develop into that role, he could be dangerous this season.

However, this is the Bills. If they bring in a FA (i like Toomer), then that sort of buries him in the depth chart. They are not going to move Reed to the fourth wideout spot. They spent a 2nd round pick on Hardy, and are not ready to give up on him yet (as they shouldn't).

I think if he is given a chance to compete, he could be great. Its all about the opportunity, and with Jauron's job on the line, I don't see him getting that shot.

IUbills
02-26-2009, 03:51 PM
Hardy is the Blacksheep of Last years draft already. Ironically he plays WR and most know it takes a few years to develope. That being said, Johnson needs to do more then Hang out in the Flat and wait for Trents check downs against the Linebackers to become a #2. It would of been interesting to see how Johnson would of done in place of Hardy on the deeper routes. Would he have had better sucess or the same results? My bet would be the same results as Hardy.

SeatownBillsFan21
02-26-2009, 03:55 PM
why not Reed is not that good i think SJ can and will given the chance be better than Reed this year.imo