PDA

View Full Version : Ravens cut off talks with Jason Brown

ddaryl
02-26-2009, 11:35 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/real_scouts/

Thursday, February 26, 2009
Posted By Albert Breer (http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/real_scouts/author/abreer) 11:53 AM
A very interesting 24 hours lies ahead for the Baltimore Ravens.
And the first domino has fallen. According to an NFL source, the club has informed center Jason Brown that he is not in their plans for the 2009 season.
Brown, who turns 26 in June, is expected to garner immediate, strong interest from four or five clubs when the NFL’s free-agency period opens at 12:01 a.m. Friday. Brown started in '06 and '07 at guard for the Ravens, before moving to center to replace Mike Flynn last season.
The move to let Brown leave allows Baltimore to focus on its two free-agent linebackers, Bart Scott and Ray Lewis.
Negotiations are ongoing with both players -- with the expectation that the Ravens will be able re-sign one, but not both -- and are expected to run up to midnight, when the club will lose exclusive negotiating rights.
The Cowboys continue to come up as a possible landing spot for Lewis, despite Dallas owner Jerry Jones’ insistence that his club will not be big players in free agency. Former Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan’s presence with the Jets makes New York a possible suitor for either player.

Good for us !!!

LtFinFan66
02-26-2009, 11:36 AM
he has to pack for Miami

floridajoe
02-26-2009, 11:36 AM
Step one.....

ddaryl
02-26-2009, 11:37 AM
he has to pack for Miami

unfortunately he doens't want to be a C... Therefore our newly needed LG will be packing for Buffalo.

Sorry to have to give you the bad news, but I know you can take it...

patmoran2006
02-26-2009, 11:38 AM
I knew this was coming.

There are three teams that are going to be HOT for him.
1) Miami 2) Buffalo 3) Minnesota

justasportsfan
Lets see, based on that report, you have Jets, Cowboys, Miami. Why the hell will he want to choose buffalo over those teams?

LtFinFan66
really, because there is word that Miami is a prefered destination for him

Jan Reimers
02-26-2009, 11:40 AM
Lets see, based on that report, you have Jets, Cowboys, Miami. Why the hell will he want to choose buffalo over those teams?
Really, really tall money.

LtFinFan66
02-26-2009, 11:40 AM
unfortunately he doens't want to be a C... Therefore our newly needed LG will be packing for Buffalo.

Sorry to have to give you the bad news, but I know you can take it...Link??

justasportsfan
02-26-2009, 11:42 AM
Really, really tall money.
It's a good thing we saved $400 g letting Dockery go. Maybe Ralph saved a lot when he decided to go with Geicco.

Hey Brown, we'll pay you this much

DraftBoy
I knew this was coming.

There are three teams that are going to be HOT for him.
1) Miami 2) Buffalo 3) Minnesota

There have been no reports that Ive seen of Buffalo being interested. Do you have something we don't??

Miami and Minnesota Ive seen being heavily interested.

patmoran2006
Miami could realistically end up with Gibril Wilson, Jason Brown and L. Coles in a 48 hour span.

That wouldnt be good (for us)

patmoran2006
02-26-2009, 11:43 AM
There have been no reports that Ive seen of Buffalo being interested. Do you have something we don't??

i've had a "hunch" long before we cut Dockery. Of course, I had him penciled in as a center.

His price range, talent and AGE fit what I think this team wants.

Mark my words, we'll make a play for him.

DraftBoy
02-26-2009, 11:44 AM
i've had a "hunch" long before we cut Dockery. Of course, I had him penciled in as a center.

His price range, talent and AGE fit what I think this team wants.

Mark my words, we'll make a play for him.

We shall see but Minny and Miami can both offer him an OG spot, and until about 2 hours ago we couldnt.

Minnesotta expects to resign Birk before midnight by the way. Its on KFFL.

Jan Reimers
02-26-2009, 11:45 AM
It's a good thing we saved $400 g letting Dockery go. Maybe Ralph saved a lot when he decided to go with Geicco.
I think he had the free Fat Tuesday pancakes at Denny's, too. Live it up, Ralphy!

patmoran2006
02-26-2009, 11:45 AM
Just saw this on PFT.. Dont know how valid it is. But it woudl confirm Minn's interest in Brown if true.

VIKES’ INTEREST IN BROWN COULD MEAN BIRK WON’T BE BACK (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/26/vikes-interest-in-brown-could-mean-birk-wont-be-back/)

Posted by Mike Florio on February 26, 2009, 12:40 p.m.
Less than 12 hours before the free-agent market opens, veteran Vikings center Matt Birk still isn’t signed.
And with Sean Jensen of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reporting that the Vikings are interested in Ravens center Jason Brown (http://www.twincities.com/news/ci_11774999?source=rss), this could mean that Birk won’t be back.
Jenson writes that, despite recent efforts to work out a new deal with Birk, the 11-year veteran from Harvard isn’t considered a priority.
As reported by Albert Breer of SportingNews.com at the PFT “break glass in case of hamster-related emergency (http://profootballtalk.sportingnews.com/)” site, the Ravens have recently informed Brown that he’s not in their plans for 2009.

Al the Bills Fan
02-26-2009, 11:46 AM

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/590742.html

LtFinFan66
02-26-2009, 11:48 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/590742.htmlthat seems like speculation from the writer? I could be wrong though.

DraftBoy
02-26-2009, 11:48 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/590742.html

That doesnt say we're interested its just Allen Wilson speculation about potential options.

DraftBoy
02-26-2009, 11:49 AM
Just saw this on PFT.. Dont know how valid it is. But it woudl confirm Minn's interest in Brown if true.

VIKES’ INTEREST IN BROWN COULD MEAN BIRK WON’T BE BACK (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/26/vikes-interest-in-brown-could-mean-birk-wont-be-back/)

Posted by Mike Florio on February 26, 2009, 12:40 p.m.
Less than 12 hours before the free-agent market opens, veteran Vikings center Matt Birk still isn’t signed.
And with Sean Jensen of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reporting that the Vikings are interested in Ravens center Jason Brown (http://www.twincities.com/news/ci_11774999?source=rss), this could mean that Birk won’t be back.
Jenson writes that, despite recent efforts to work out a new deal with Birk, the 11-year veteran from Harvard isn’t considered a priority.
As reported by Albert Breer of SportingNews.com at the PFT “break glass in case of hamster-related emergency (http://profootballtalk.sportingnews.com/)” site, the Ravens have recently informed Brown that he’s not in their plans for 2009.

This came across at 5:17am from the other Minny paper;
Vikings | Looking to keep Birk and Kleinsasser
Thu, 26 Feb 2009 05:17:53 -0800

Judd Zulgad, of The Star Tribune, reports the Minnesota Vikings have had talks to re-sign C Matt Birk and TE Jim Kleinsasser. The team is expected to extend contract offers to both players.

BuffaloBillsStampede
Well I think it is pretty plain to see what the fron office is thinking right now for the OL. They are going hard after Jason BRown to play LG and then drafting a center in the first 2 rounds.

Al the Bills Fan
that seems like speculation from the writer? I could be wrong though.

yeah you're probably right, its is the only thing I could find and so I am probably reaching just a bit

ddaryl
02-26-2009, 11:50 AM
Lets ee, based on that reports, you have Jets, Cowboys, Miami. Why the hell with he want to choose buffalo over those teams?

to piss you off... LOL!

Money talks and we have the LG postion to offer up too.

If this is the perceived reality, that we have to accept that no top FA's will ever come here, then we might as well just shut the team down now and give up once and for all. There is no point in even paying attention to this franchise if we have no chance at anything ever.

I simply must hold onto a thread o hope we can do something positive otherwise being hear and discussing this is uselss

Al the Bills Fan
02-26-2009, 11:50 AM
That doesnt say we're interested its just Allen Wilson speculation about potential options.

Come on! I am hanging on to any glimmer of hope here

DraftBoy
02-26-2009, 11:51 AM
Come on! I am hanging on to any glimmer of hope here

Why? The guy wants OG money, Ill pass on that and draft a rookie.

Al the Bills Fan
02-26-2009, 11:52 AM
Why? The guy wants OG money, Ill pass on that and draft a rookie.

I'm okay with that if he plays LG

DraftBoy
02-26-2009, 11:53 AM
I'm okay with that if he plays LG

If he plays LG Im cool with it, but he's a more proven OC.

ddaryl
02-26-2009, 11:55 AM
I'm ok with paying him G money to play C. Why would anyone believe that a C who is the QB of the OL and calls out the assignments, and touches the ball on every single O play while taking on some of the biggest and nastiest DL in the league doens't deserve G money is wel beyond my comprehension.

LtFinFan66
02-26-2009, 11:56 AM
I'm ok with paying him G money to play C. Why would anyone believe that a C who is the QB of the OL and calls out the assignments, and touches the ball on every single O play while taking on some of the biggest and nastiest DL in the league doens't deserve G money is wel beyond my comprehension.I am pretty sure you said he didn't want to play center? Still waiting on the link?

:tap:

Mski
02-26-2009, 11:59 AM
i am suprised that gaurds would get paid more than centers

either way, i would love the idea of paying the man his money and putting him on the line, he is YOUNG and played well against the big DT's in the league last year

ddaryl
02-26-2009, 12:01 PM
I am pretty sure you said he didn't want to play center? Still waiting on the link?

Dude, you've been here just the same and you have read the reports that Brown wants to play G. Wether its true or not I don't care. i was really just giving you a jab back for mentioning miami as Browns destination, and you know that.

I'm not finding you a link, and I commented on the G vs: C pay debate which I find to be laughable because I view the C position to be as or more improtant then the G pos...

Mahdi
02-26-2009, 12:21 PM
Dude, you've been here just the same and you have read the reports that Brown wants to play G. Wether its true or not I don't care. i was really just giving you a jab back for mentioning miami as Browns destination, and you know that.

I'm not finding you a link, and I commented on the G vs: C pay debate which I find to be laughable because I view the C position to be as or more improtant then the G pos...
The reports are that Brown wants top G money. Not necessarily to play G.

Barb
02-26-2009, 12:23 PM
I am pretty sure you said he didn't want to play center? Still waiting on the link?

i recall reading a report on one of the known sites, that he prefers to play G as well

floridajoe
02-26-2009, 12:29 PM

Don't worry about the link - just take a look at the Bills depth chart at the end of training camp come August!

SeatownBillsFan21
02-26-2009, 12:32 PM
In reality we need both a C and a G so who cares what position we sign him for were gonna throw tons of money at this kid come midnight and it will be hard for him to turn us down he can choose where he want to play on our line and we can go from there.

billogic99
02-26-2009, 01:06 PM
I think theres a very good chance Brown signs with the Bills.

Jeff1220
02-26-2009, 01:12 PM
I'd like to think that it's not coincidental that talks between the Ravens and Brown were cut off around the same time that the Bills officially released Dock.