PDA

View Full Version : Just heard the Bills are set to target Hangartner.

patmoran2006
02-26-2009, 01:51 PM
I’ve just heard/learned that there is a player, an offensive linemen that the Bills are set to target shortly after free agent starts. His name is Geoff Hangartner, and he was a backup OC/G for the Panthers who started half the season last year.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
If I said I knew anything about the guy, I’d be a big fat liar. All I know for certain is I’ve been told that he has a target on him from the Bills front office and he may be one of it not the very first guy brought in for a visit.<o:p></o:p>
Obviously, nobody from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:place></st1:City> could confirm this as it could called “tampering”.<o:p></o:p>
So let’s see if this guy gets brought in to visit <st1:City w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:City> tomorrow like I’m being told he will, and more importantly, maybe someone with knowledge of <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Carolina</st1:place></st1:City> football or the player specifically can tell us more about him. cause I dont know ****tttttttttt bout him.<o:p></o:p>

Forward_Lateral
02-26-2009, 01:58 PM
Sounds a lot like Tutan Reyes.

floridajoe
02-26-2009, 01:58 PM
Very smart. Scored 47 on Wonderlic. Came from Texas A & M program known for turning out solid tough linemen. Decent size but not huge.

Slim
02-26-2009, 02:00 PM
I heard Mark Schelerth(SP?) talking about this guy a few weeks ago. Had alot of good things to say about him.

muestafa1
02-26-2009, 02:00 PM
I don't know anything about him myself... but I did find a thread on a Panthers message board discussing re-signing him. Most seemed to want him back. Opinion seemed split on whether he could be a starter. Some thought he could be a starter elsewhere, others thought he was just a high-end backup.

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum/carolina-panthers/8469-next-up-geoff-hangartner.html

floridajoe
02-26-2009, 02:04 PM
Sounds a lot like Tutan Reyes.

Not likely!

patmoran2006
02-26-2009, 02:04 PM
I know nothing about him.
And I dont know if he would be brought in to be a starter or a reserve.

Maybe he's our new Duke Preston?

All I know with certainty is that the Bills are interested in talking to him, should he become a free agent at midnight.

Nighthawk
02-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Another cheap signing and an attempt to get by with talent that just isn't good enough. This doesn't excite me.

Ickybaluky
02-26-2009, 02:06 PM
He has a reputation for intelligence and versatility. He has been a top backup inside for Carolina, and has started quite a few games at both center and guard due to injuries.

Carolina wouldn't mind having him back, but they are set at OG and C with Travelle Wharton, Ryan Kalil and Keydrick Vincent. They don't have a lot of cap room or money to invest in the OL after the big deal with Jordan Gross.

Night Train
02-26-2009, 02:09 PM
If they like him enough, get him to start at C or G.

Then find more of that ilk.

GreedoII
02-26-2009, 02:10 PM
Typical OBD drivel. Sloppy seconds and back ups....

Pinkerton Security
02-26-2009, 02:14 PM
as long as he is being brought in as a backup, im fine with it.

bigbub2352
02-26-2009, 02:15 PM
typical bills signing, sounds like a big cheap move

Thurmal
02-26-2009, 02:17 PM
While not an exciting signing, we desparately need interior depth on the line.

Griz78
02-26-2009, 02:18 PM
Maybe they sign him and still draft a Center

SeatownBillsFan21
02-26-2009, 02:18 PM
I would pass on this guy right there but this is the type of players Buffalo brings in to fill starting spots with backup players.that said welcome your new C to buffalo. Geoff Hangartner.

GreedoII
02-26-2009, 02:20 PM
Meet the new Melvin Fowler. They are throwing darts and seeing if they pick a winner.....

Yasgur's Farm
02-26-2009, 02:21 PM
Yahoo sports has him ranked 61st in their top 100 free agents listing...

61. Geoff Hangartner (http://beta.sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7345/;_ylt=A2KIPFOr.aZJX7sAEgIZc9AF), C/G: Should be a respectable starter at guard or center wherever he signs. His next contract will surprise some people.http://beta.sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ys-freeagenttracker022509&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Pinkerton Security
02-26-2009, 02:22 PM
http://beta.sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ys-freeagenttracker022509&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

lets hope it isnt too large of a surprise if we do get him...

Yasgur's Farm
02-26-2009, 02:23 PM
We currently have no centers and only 1 guard on the roster... This guy looks like an ideal back-up anywhere on the interior line.

That would be a good signing.

madness
02-26-2009, 02:24 PM
http://beta.sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ys-freeagenttracker022509&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

His next contract will surprise some people.

It looks like Yahoo already knew Buffalo was planning on signing him.

patmoran2006
02-26-2009, 02:26 PM
It looks like Yahoo already knew Buffalo was planning on signing him.
LOL
that does have a Buffalo'ish feel to it, doesnt it?

The Spaz
02-26-2009, 02:28 PM
What's not to like about this? 1. we don't have any interior depth and 2. he could be our starter at C and seems decent, and he is only 26.

patmoran2006
02-26-2009, 02:29 PM
Im not against it, also not for it.. because I know NOTHING about him.

I'm just stating what I have heard is going to happen.

Mahdi
02-26-2009, 02:32 PM
Typical OBD drivel. Sloppy seconds and back ups....
Who knows what this guy can do. We paid 50 mil for Dockery and how did that work out? We might end up paying this guy 1/5 of what Dockery was making for the same production or we could end up with an even better player. He started 8 games this year and maybe the Bills did their homework on him, like watch tape on him and such, things none of us here have done.

Hangartner was a 5th round pick, Matt Birk was a 6th rounder just to keep things in perspective.

floridajoe
02-26-2009, 02:37 PM
We currently have no centers and only 1 guard on the roster... This guy looks like an ideal back-up anywhere on the interior line.

That would be a good signing.

This would most likely signal that Preston is a goner.

DBrown77
02-26-2009, 02:37 PM
I live just outisde Charlotte, been to many games. He is a top backup here. Could start elsewhere except Khalil is doing so well. filled in nicely when Khalil was injured this year.

Panthers tried to keep him but he told them he wants to pursue free agency. This would be a good pick up in my opinion for CENTER.

Mski
02-26-2009, 02:38 PM
well since dockery is gone, and we have no centers on the roster... i think this would be a wise move, aslong as they still attempt to bring in someone else too

Mudflap1
02-26-2009, 02:40 PM
I'm fine with this if he's brought in as a backup. However, we all know what the truth is here, don't we? Haven't we all seen this movie before? The Bills get rid of a high-paid, productive (albeit not warranting his pay perhaps) guard to overpay a young, career backup from somewhere else to be a starter and hope that he blossoms. Which he won't.

Jon

WeAreArthurMoates
02-26-2009, 02:45 PM
Could be a good move and unfortunatly we need to gamble on these type of FA's right now.

dasaybz
02-26-2009, 02:47 PM
Why is it that every person the Bills should sign needs to be Haynesworth or Ray Lewis?

If it isn't one of those guys, then the front office sucks.

Seriously, some of you guys should stick with fantasy football, and leave the real game to us big boys.

DraftBoy
02-26-2009, 02:48 PM
And so the over dramatization begins! Can you people please just wait till something is atleasr official. This is rediculous!

You guys don't want a winner, I mean then what the **** are you going to ***** about?

psubills62
02-26-2009, 02:48 PM
I love how people are complaining about this when we have what...1 guard and no centers on our roster? Geniuses, just because they want to sign him doesn't mean he'll be the starter.

madness
02-26-2009, 02:51 PM
Dockery didn't fit the offensive line scheme under assistant Sean Kugler, who took over last year after Jim McNally retired.

I just posted this in another thread but it looks like a changing of the guard finally took place and Kugler is ready to do his own thing.

It was definitely broke and it looks like we are finally trying to fix it. Looking at Hangartner is more proof which makes me believe it's time for some zone-blocking which makes perfect sense when you look and Marshawn and Jackson's style.

Imagine seeing an OL on our team actually getting into the second level to pick up LB's? :faint:

ddaryl
02-26-2009, 02:53 PM
but y'all can't forget the last 10 years of complete ineptness we have had to deal with..

all of this 2nd guessing and negativity is born from the fact we have been through this exact thing before and we never really get any better...

we have lost faith in the owner, and the peopel he decides to surround himself with, and that doubt we all have is not going away until they put a team together that erases these doubts.

10 years of bull**** is not going to disappear. in fact it has only been re-enforced and that is why we have a plethera of negative posts... nobody trust this organization to make the correct moves.

floridajoe
02-26-2009, 02:53 PM
And so the over dramatization begins! Can you people please just wait till something is atleasr official. This is rediculous!

You guys don't want a winner, I mean then what the **** are you going to ***** about?

Right on. I'm new here but I'm beginning to see that there is large group of folks who are here only to complain - they must have crappy lives or something. I mean, they compain about EVERYTHING. How sad.

Mudflap1
02-26-2009, 02:55 PM
That's right ddaryl... all of the cheerleaders can put their pom-poms down until the organization reverses the 9-year tailspin of a trend that the team has been in. Until the Bills start proving that 1) they aren't cheap; and 2) they can evaluate talent, nobody is going to buy their horse****.

Jon

patmoran2006
02-26-2009, 02:58 PM
That's right ddaryl... all of the cheerleaders can put their pom-poms down until the organization reverses the 9-year tailspin of a trend that the team has been in. Until the Bills start proving that 1) they aren't cheap; and 2) they can evaluate talent, nobody is going to buy their horse****.

Jon
1 is very debatable.
2 is not. Its PROVEN this regime is horrible at evaluating talent, both in FA and the draft.

ddaryl
02-26-2009, 03:00 PM
Right on. I'm new here but I'm beginning to see that there is large group of folks who are here only to complain - they must have crappy lives or something. I mean, they compain about EVERYTHING. How sad.

that is not true at all Florida... I have witnessed many of this group come into these threads in years past with tremendous amounts of optomism... This is a group of fans that have been beat down hard by an owner who is out of touch, an FO who has not made a high enough % of smart pickups, and and inept coaching staff that was left in place when everyone wanted a real coach and GM brought in.

The only way this negativity goes away is if the Bills get a heluva alot better this season. Otherwise next year it will be even worse then this year...

I see no reason to truly beleive this FO is going to be successful finding stage 2 FA's that will excel in Buffalo... Maybe they will this time, but until we see it the last 10 + years are going to remain fresh in everyones minds.

in all honesty the team FO and owner deserve every last bit of the negativity the fans feel for them.. they are the ones that have let the fans down in the past...

Mudflap1
02-26-2009, 03:01 PM
That's right Pat. It's the Pittsburgh Pirates of football until proven otherwise. This is Tutan Reyes and Jason Whittle: the sequel. We all remember Reyes, but remember Whittle? He was supposed to be this junior high-motor guy that was a great backup. Last I saw, he was run over like a flapjack on the football field, then carried off in one of his 17 injuries.

Again, if this guy is brought in as a backup (as long as Chambers hasn't been automatically promoted to starter at guard), that is fine. If they think this cat is going to be Steve Hutchinson, but cheap, well... we've seen how that plays out.

Jon

Nighthawk
02-26-2009, 03:05 PM
Why is it that every person the Bills should sign needs to be Haynesworth or Ray Lewis?

If it isn't one of those guys, then the front office sucks.

Seriously, some of you guys should stick with fantasy football, and leave the real game to us big boys.

Because they've signed these types of players forever and it never works out for the best. Also, this organization has zero skill at picking talent, so please tell me why I should trust them about anybody they sign?

TigerJ
02-26-2009, 03:20 PM
According to NFL.com he is 6'5" and 301 lbs. He is 26 years old. I never pre-judge players, but I would remind everyone who posts that this is the only kind of player Buffalo signs that Buffalo just released Derrick Dockery whom they signed for big bucks just a couple years ago, and he did not pan out.This might be considered comparable to a Jason Whittle signing except he's bigger and much younger than Whittle. It might signal a philosophical switch. with Dockery in the lineup, Buffalo had the most massive offensive line in the NFL With that massive line they were an average pass blocking team and a mediocre run blocking team. Maybe they think a little lighter and more athletic will be better.

ParanoidAndroid
02-26-2009, 03:20 PM
I don't think their running game suffered while he was starting for Kalil. If he's brought here, he will have a shot at the starting job. Draft Luigs in the 3rd.

patmoran2006
02-27-2009, 05:55 AM
WHO HAS BROUGHT THEIR "A" GAME TO THE BOARD THIS WEEK??? First guy we contacted too, lol.

Bills | Hangartner to visit Friday
Thu, 26 Feb 2009 21:57:08 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports free-agent OL Geoff Hangartner (Panthers) will visit the Buffalo Bills Friday, Feb. 27.

Italian Stallion
02-27-2009, 06:24 AM
WHO HAS BROUGHT THEIR "A" GAME TO THE BOARD THIS WEEK??? First guy we contacted too, lol.

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports free-agent OL Geoff Hangartner (Panthers) will visit the Buffalo Bills Friday, Feb. 27.

Well done man! I predicted this signing in the Mikey's ZB thread....I better see some love if he signs with the today.

Ps I think this is a good interior line move...considering we only have one other guy under contract.

PLEASE just dont replace the Dock contract with HOBNOBBERS lol

patmoran2006
02-27-2009, 06:28 AM
I've been hearing some good things about him in my frantic research to get acquainted with him.

Nighthawk
02-27-2009, 06:29 AM

Average talent for an average organization...NICE!

patmoran2006
02-27-2009, 06:30 AM
lol... Hey man.. Don't shoot the messenger.

Nighthawk
02-27-2009, 06:30 AM
I've been hearing some good things about him in my frantic research to get acquainted with him.

Me too, but the fact remains...he couldn't win the starting job in Carolina. That is a red flag to me. He's a nice backup, but not a replacement on the line.

patmoran2006
02-27-2009, 06:32 AM
Me too, but the fact remains...he couldn't win the starting job in Carolina. That is a red flag to me. He's a nice backup, but not a replacement on the line.
I feel ya.. But you cant think that way. TO use the example again, that's how Baltimore fans must've felt about Jim Leonhard as well.

But-- it is frustrating that it doesnt look like we're going to take a real run at ANY of the bigger FA's that will sign early: Jason Brown, Antonio Smith, etc.

Nighthawk
lol... Hey man.. Don't shoot the messenger.

Nah, it's not you...I just saw a bunch of people in NC who were banging the drum for this guy and how great he is on another board. To me, it's just another average player who doesn't really significantly upgrade the talent on this team.

Yasgur's Farm
He'd be an excellent signing... He's probably better than Preston or Dockery.

Nighthawk
02-27-2009, 06:33 AM
I feel ya.. But you cant think that way. TO use the example again, that's how Baltimore fans must've felt about Jim Leonhard as well.

But-- it is frustrating that it doesnt look like we're going to take a real run at ANY of the bigger FA's that will sign early: Jason Brown, Antonio Smith, etc.

I'm not a big fan of Leonard and am a big believer that he just happened to be in a good situation with one the most talented defenses and it made him look better.

LifetimeBillsFan
02-27-2009, 06:43 AM
Good call, Pat.

Hangartner seems like a good player to bring in. Especially since the Bills need to bring in at least three, and more likely four, interior offensive linemen this offseason.

Even if the Bills draft a center in Round 2 or 3, there is no guarantee that they are going to get a player who is going to be able to step in and start right away. A lot of mocks have Mack and Ungar going before the Bills pick in Round 2 and they are the two centers in this draft most likely to be able to start right from the get-go. Even if the Bills do manage to be lucky enough to get Ungar with their second pick, there is still a chance that he may not be ready to step in and start at the beginning of the season. If the Bills don't get Mack or Ungar and end up taking Wood, Shipley, Luigs or Caldwell in the third round, it will probably take at least half a season before one of these guys is ready to step in as the starter.

That being the case, the Bills are going to have to have a guy on the roster who can start at center and hold the position down for up to a season. A versatile guy who can play center, if need be, and slide over to guard. And, that's where a guy like Hangartner comes in: he gets a chance to start and show what he can do. At worst, he holds down the center position until the rookie is ready and is a competent backup. At best, he holds down the center spot for a time and then slides over to guard.

Hangartner is young, 26, and has starting experience where, by all accounts, he performed well (Carolina's rushing average was pretty good in the games that he started). He's versatile: KFFL has him listed as the starting RG and backup at center and the other OG in Carolina's depth chart. Regardless of what the Bills are able to do in the rest of free agency and the draft, having him will give the team flexibility in rebuilding the interior of their offensive line.

Is he a Pro Bowler or likely to become a Pro Bowler? No. But, then again, none of the young interior linemen in this free agent class is a Pro Bowler. Only Brown has shown the potential to become a Pro Bowler anytime soon and so many teams have shown an interest in him that whoever gets him will probably have to grossly overpay to get him. Well, guess what? The Bills just did that with Dockery and that didn't work out very well now did it. Dock was a borderline Pro Bowler (maybe even moreso than Brown) and got paid like a Pro Bowler by the Bills (much as Brown will be paid like a Pro Bowler), but he never played up to his salary.

If the Bills do sign Hangartner and draft an interior lineman, they are still going to have to sign at least one and more likely two more. The guys that they are going to sign aren't going to be big-name guys or Pro Bowlers (unless they bring in Birk--possible but not likely). If they are lucky they may get Brown or Brandon Moore or Keamoeatu (or Goff), but they may also have to settle for a Forney or Elton Brown. Having a versatile young guy with starting experience like Hangartner can only help the Bills...if they can sign him.

don137
02-27-2009, 07:10 AM
As a season ticket holder of the Panthers I have seen him play numerous times. He is very versitile and IMO a great bench guy, an adequate guard and below average center. When Hartwig got hurt in 07 he played a lot at center and I thought he did not do that great at center. He does much better at guard.
The Panthers OL in '07 stunk and they made it a priority last offseason to upgrade. He looked much better this year (mostly played just guard off the bench) when he filled in but the OL as a whole looked much better since they revamped it. Not sure if he looked good this year because the guys around were much better than '07 or if he started to mature and come into his own.

He is better than Tutan Reyes and a little better than Duke Preston.

Like stated before the Panthers wanted to keep him but they have very little salary cap room due to franchising Peppers. He wants to compete to become a starter this year.

X-Era
02-27-2009, 07:16 AM
As a season ticket holder of the Panthers I have seen him play numerous times. He is very versitile and IMO a great bench guy, an adequate guard and below average center. When Hartwig got hurt in 07 he played a lot at center and I thought he did not do that great at center. He does much better at guard.
The Panthers OL in '07 stunk and they made it a priority last offseason to upgrade. He looked much better this year (mostly played just guard off the bench) when he filled in but the OL as a whole looked much better since they revamped it. Not sure if he looked good this year because the guys around were much better than '07 or if he started to mature and come into his own.

Like stated before the Panthers wanted to keep him but they have very little salary cap room due to franchising Peppers. He wants to compete to become a starter this year.

He sounds like what we wanted Whittle to be.

Even if hes just a better version of Whittle, hes an upgrade.

don137
02-27-2009, 07:21 AM
He sounds like what we wanted Whittle to be.

Even if hes just a better version of Whittle, hes an upgrade.

He is definitely an upgrade over Whittle and Preston but he is not a stud by any means.

kernowboy
02-27-2009, 07:23 AM
I mentioned this guy as a possibility 3 weeks ago.

Essentially if he hadn't been drafted by the Panthers with their strong OL, he'd have already become a starter elsewhere by now.

He has enough size, is extremely intelligent, and when he has been asked to step up at several positions, as done very well.

This is just the sort of signing the Bills should make - a young proven veteran with upside, itching to get a starting opportunity and not excessively expensive.

I cannot understand some of the negative posts - I assume it comes from those only interested in playing fantasy football rather than living in the real world of how to bring an effective roster.

He'll be a much better signing than Dockery who loads though excellent because he was a so-called name but ended up being mediocre on a $49m/7year deal

Jan Reimers
02-27-2009, 07:26 AM

Good update, don. Unfortunately, he sounds like a typical Bills' FA signing. A slight upgrade, but not a big enough piece of the puzzle to make a significant difference.

madness
02-27-2009, 10:51 AM
He is definitely an upgrade over Whittle and Preston but he is not a stud by any means.

Studs make it to the PB while giving up the most sacks at his postion.

Bert102176
02-27-2009, 11:09 AM
this team will go no where till Ralph is gone

floridajoe
02-27-2009, 11:23 AM
this team will go no where till Ralph is gone

well, he is 90. you'll get your wish sooner rather than later.