PDA

View Full Version : DE unlikely on the Bills radar in FA

patmoran2006
02-26-2009, 03:14 PM
Don’t expect the Bills to target any of the more known defensive ends in free agency.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Chris Kelsay ($600K) and Aaron Schobel ($3.5 million) are both due roster bonus’ tomorrow and neither were released today. That means both will be sticking around. The Bills aren’t going to pay them a roster bonus to just to cut them a short time later.<o:p></o:p>
Coupled with Ryan Denney being an effective and relatively cheap backup ($2.4 million) in the final year of his contract, and the team using an early third rounder last year in Chris Ellis. It appears the team won’t be making any major moves at the position in free agency.<o:p></o:p>
While it’s still no given, the Bills may wait until the draft to address defensive end<o:p></o:p>

Raptor
02-26-2009, 03:15 PM
Good theres no DE's in FA'cy worth looking at

patmoran2006
02-26-2009, 03:16 PM
Sure there are.
I'd love to have Antonio Smith.

Or Bertrand Berry as a stop gap to a young DE.

madness
02-26-2009, 03:18 PM
I kind of expected this. A true pass rusher may still be an option in the draft but I really feel they want to upgrade KW and put another dominate force next to Stroud. If the two can get a consistant push up the middle, it will free up our ends big time.

patmoran2006
02-26-2009, 03:19 PM
I think they're depending an awful lot on SChobel being the SChobel of pre 2007

mysticsoto
02-26-2009, 03:21 PM
I kind of expected this. A true pass rusher may still be an option in the draft but I really feel they want to upgrade KW and put another dominate force next to Stroud. If the two can get a consistant push up the middle, it will free up our ends big time.

Free up our ends? Free them up from what? The only person that needs freeing up is Stroud who can get double and sometimes triple teamed. Other than that, everyone else is generally one on one...

DraftBoy
02-26-2009, 03:23 PM
I'd take Montgomery in a second.

Raptor
02-26-2009, 03:26 PM
Sure there are.
I'd love to have Antonio Smith.

Or Bertrand Berry as a stop gap to a young DE.

eehh, My statement stands

Berry is on the wrong side of 30 and hasnt played a full season since 04 and Smith has been pretty underwhelming except for a small run in the playoffs

bigbub2352
02-26-2009, 03:27 PM
i had my hopes on antiono smith, same regime= same ****

madness
02-26-2009, 03:36 PM
Free up our ends? Free them up from what? The only person that needs freeing up is Stroud who can get double and sometimes triple teamed. Other than that, everyone else is generally one on one...

We had no true #1 DE last year and an avg. #2 and #3 on the field in his place. If we get a monster next to Stroud, all of a sudden TE's are staying in to help block which could mean less WR's on the field and our DT's are still getting penetration up the middle. The pocket starts to collapse from all sides and chaos ensues.

Nighthawk
02-26-2009, 03:38 PM
I'd cut Kelsay anyways, just because he's not good. He truly is one of the worst DE's I've ever seen play. He does nothing well and yet he stole a boat load of money from this organization.

mysticsoto
02-26-2009, 03:40 PM
We had no true #1 DE last year and an avg. #2 and #3 on the field in his place. If we get a monster next to Stroud, all of a sudden TE's are staying in to help block which could mean less WR's on the field and our DT's are still getting penetration up the middle. The pocket starts to collapse from all sides and chaos ensues.

Or they just run to the sides where our inept DEs are and just avoid the middle altogether.

Don't get me wrong, a better DT next to Stroud will improve things. I just had my hopes set on Kelsay being gone and having someone else better to replace him.

madness
02-26-2009, 03:42 PM
Or they just run to the sides where our inept DEs are and just avoid the middle altogether.

Don't get me wrong, a better DT next to Stroud will improve things. I just had my hopes set on Kelsay being gone and having someone else better to replace him.

Unfortunately I doubt it will happen with Schobel's health questionable for next year.

Thurmal
02-26-2009, 03:43 PM
They could cut Schobel now and I would not care one bit. That guy has always been overrated.

SeatownBillsFan21
02-26-2009, 03:47 PM
I like AS i think your right tho were gonna stay put in FA on count on the draft

Mahdi
02-26-2009, 03:51 PM
Don’t expect the Bills to target any of the more known defensive ends in free agency.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Chris Kelsay ($600K) and Aaron Schobel ($3.5 million) are both due roster bonus’ tomorrow and neither were released today. That means both will be sticking around. The Bills aren’t going to pay them a roster bonus to just to cut them a short time later.<o:p></o:p>
Coupled with Ryan Denney being an effective and relatively cheap backup ($2.4 million) in the final year of his contract, and the team using an early third rounder last year in Chris Ellis. It appears the team won’t be making any major moves at the position in free agency.<o:p></o:p>
While it’s still no given, the Bills may wait until the draft to address defensive end<o:p></o:p>
Didn't expect it and glad they aren't.

Michael82
02-26-2009, 04:42 PM
Son of a *****! Why couldn't they cut Kelsay and get rid of his roster bonus? He's useless! :mad: