PDA

View Full Version : UB guys

kernowboy
02-27-2009, 06:29 AM
Looking at the impending draft, gone is the era where no-one from UB got anywhere near the draft.

Last year both Trevor Scott at the start of the 6th and Jamey Richard in the 7th got drafted. Scott ended up with 5 sacks in relief and it could be said he might have been a better pick than Ellis. Richard started 7 games in place of Saturday at center and by all accounts did very well.

Having missed out on two locally schooled players in positions of need, what do fans think of some of the guys coming out this year and next.

Drew Willy at QB did well at the combine, slightly small hands, but considered intelligent and with a big enough arm. He could be at least a No3 and be available at the end of Day2

Next year (2010) the following may be available:

Naaman Roosevelt WR, with ok side, not the quickest but a decent returner with great statistics for catches, yards and touchdowns - could replace Roscoe Parrish and contribute more during the game.

James Starks RB, again not the most rapid RB but you cannot argue with his numbers both on the ground and receiving out of the backfield and depending what happens with Oxom, could certainly add decent depth. At 6.2, he could add some weight and be a decent north-south runner.

Davonte Shannon FS/SS - a little light at just under 200lbs but so was Dawkins. Enough speed to play CB and again a great set of numbers for tackles, passes broken up and interceptions. If Ko Simpson doesn't bounce back here might be a useful replacement.

Last year on Day2 we picked up a number of guys from small schools like Corner, Bowen, Oxon and Bell and arguably the UB guys drafted might have fitted the team better.

Maybe the front office should cast their gaze just down the road rather than further afield.

patmoran2006
02-27-2009, 06:42 AM
REgarding Willy, I dont think he'll get drafted. But he'll get a shot as a non drafted FA somewhere.

Regarding James Starks, I've heard people, including Mel Kiper, say that he can become a second round draft pick by the end of 2009.

DrGraves
02-27-2009, 07:12 AM
I go to UB.... Willy has decent accuracy but not much arm strength and not alot of mobility to make plays on his feet.

Roosevelt and Starks are great players and will have a chance to be good at the next level someday.