Free agents that could aid the team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free agents that could aid the team

I guess all fans will have their opinion as to which players should be brought in to upgrade the team.

I have deliberately avoided any big name signings - the team won't and probably cannot afford to sign them. Instead I have targetted medium tier, young free agents who I think will definitely be an upgrade - maybe not the upgrade we'd all want, but an upgrade over what we currently have or have had on the roster

Gregg Hangartner C/G - ok, he is not Jason Brown, but the Brown bandwagon is rolling based on a single season's starting with the Ravens. Hangartner is intelligent enough and has sufficient size to be an upgrade over Fowler, Preston and Whittle. Drafted in the 5th round of 2005, he's only 26 with starting experience, and is 6ft5, and 301lbs

Mike Wright E/T - the top DL backup at the Pats he has done well as both an end and tackle and has occasionally started. He's also shown that he can get to the QB as much as Denney and Kelsay despite his principle strength being against the run. Undrafted in 2005, he's 6ft4 and 295lbs with enough athleticism to be our LE, but be able to slide inside on passing downs. Signing him will allow us to look at a Schobel replacement in the draft

Michael Boley LB - had an excellent 2007 but a poor 2008 but is too talented not to bounce back. A definite upgrade over Ellison and maybe as good as a fit Crowell, a Boley-Poz-Mitchell corps would be excellent. Another 5th round pick in 2005 - WHAT THE F*** WAS DONAHOE DOING THIS YEAR? - he can play either OLB position at 6ft3 and 236lbs

Ray Willis G/T - former Florida starter buried behind Locklear with the Seahawks but started last year and only gave up 1.5 sacks. More of a right sided player he could either slide inside or outside if Walker continues to be average as a run blocker and could work really well with Butler. A 4th round pick in 2005, he's a decent sized 6ft6 and 315lbs

Reggie Williams WR - a bust with the Jags but that could be down to a poor receiving corps where he could have suffered a little from Evans syndrome, being targetted and having little support. Good size at 6ft4 and 215lbs, he's a decent possession receiver, but has gone the field for TDs before. Teamed with Evans, I think the opposition would get a sharp wakeup call. At 25, his best years are ahead of him

Kyle Boller QB - another bust but has shown the potential to overcome this in the right coaching set up. He's got decent size at 6ft3, 230lbs and at 28 has his best years ahead of him. He'd definitely provide decent support for Edwards and maybe push him towards excellence

Zac Keasey FB - we need a decent FB and this former Princeton graduate can certainly pave the way for Lynch/Jackson for several years and he's only 27. Can also help out the roster as he's an excellent special teamer to.

Whilst there are no big names, all are young players with upside who will not be hugely expensive but will upgrade the roster considerably.
Working...
X