PDA

View Full Version : INFO I was just able to get... (9:30 am)

patmoran2006
02-27-2009, 08:35 AM
Alright, just got done talking with my contact, who’s info has been impeccable over the last 48 hours. This is stuff that I can share with ya. Randomly written down.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
n Earlier reports are accurate. Coles, Fitzpatrick, Simmons and Hangartner are indeed all scheduled to visit today. In fact, Hangartner is en route right now.<o:p></o:p>
n Regarding Coles, per who I talked too, he doesn’t see the Bills signing him. For starters, he walked away from $6 million guaranteed this year and there is no way the Bills are paying him that much money this year. Perhaps they are trying to drive up a price for <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Miami</st1:place></st1:City>? <o:p></o:p>
n Hangartner was the FIRST person contacted right after midnight. The Bills envision him as their starting center. I would almost bet he’s the first person we officially signed.<o:p></o:p>
n Simmons will go through a battery of tests on his achiles. Not that this means anything, but he also has diabetes. The Bills liked his ability before the injury and he’s known to be an extremely high character guy. <o:p></o:p>
n Fitzpatrick was the first QB they wanted to contact. The club really likes him. They didn’t contact Kyle Boller, who per my conversation they expect to land in <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Dallas</st1:place></st1:City>. Rex Grossman (ewww) is a potential candidate<o:p></o:p>
n Russ Brandon put an offer to Jason Peters agent, Eugene Parker on the table on Wednesday. I haven’t been able to find out squat about what it may be for.<o:p></o:p>
n Regarding Royal and Dockery, both were cut due to performance and not money. It was confirmed Dockery saves them $26 milion over the remainder of his contract. Sadly, this guy made $18.5 million in his two years with the Bills.<o:p></o:p>
n The Bills are “keeping tabs” on Jason Brown. No formal visit has been scheduled, and I couldn’t tell for sure that we tried to get him in here, but I can tell it kinda sounds like they attempted and Brown was more interested in visiting St. Louis.<o:p></o:p>
n The club “doesn’t appear” to be interested in Matt Birk.<o:p></o:p>
n No contact for Michael Boley. However, the club is developing an interest in Indy LB Freddy Keiaho, who was just released by the Colts for cap reasons. For the record, he’s only 229 pounds, though he did have over 100 tackles last year.<o:p></o:p>
n No contact, as of yet regarding Antonio Smith and Bertrand Berry. They don’t expect to be able to land Smith, who is already getting interest from a half dozen teams.<o:p></o:p>
n They were never intending on being players for Haynesworth. At $100 million, I don’t blame them.<o:p></o:p>
n I found this VERY interesting. The FO wrestled with the idea of cutting Aaron Schobel and then possibly trying to bring him back at a cheaper price. In the end obviously, they kept him, and owe him a $3.5 million bonus as of today.<o:p></o:p>
n The Bills expect Bart Scott to go to the Jets for close to $8 million per year.<o:p></o:p>
n No interest in Derrick Brooks, at least that’s as of now.<o:p></o:p>
n Russ Brandon is running things right now, Modrak is pretty much doing what he always does and that’s getting ready for the draft.<o:p></o:p>
n Fred Taylor is with the Patriots. The Bills interest in Kevin Jones is legit. From what I got, they’re insuring themselves at RB in case Lynch gets suspended, and they are also sending a message out to him.<o:p></o:p>
n Keith Brooking could be on the Bills radar at WLB.<o:p></o:p>

patmoran2006
02-27-2009, 08:37 AM
Going by what I am hearing.. I think Hangartner and Fitzpatrick could be Bills right away, and I think Simmons has a good chance to land here as well.

I will be VERY surprised if the Bills sign Cole. I think (personally) they would be crazy to pay him $6+ million per year.

Forward_Lateral
02-27-2009, 08:39 AM
If they sign Fitz, I'll be happy for day 1. He's the best available backup QB, IMO.

X-Era
02-27-2009, 08:40 AM
What about the Housh rumor? Did you ask?

X-Era
02-27-2009, 08:42 AM
Why is everyone questioning why Coles would want to leave?

They have ZERO QB, a brand new head coach and that means an all new system.

Why does Coles want to go through that crap at his age?

Maybe hes also pissed off at the front office when they cut Chad and went with Brett.

Id pay him 6 mill, why the hell not? Hes actually cheaper than Dockery was.

psubills62
02-27-2009, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the report, pat. Disappointing to hear that we probably won't get Coles...he and Hangartner are the ones I wanted out of that group.

zone
02-27-2009, 08:46 AM
Yea, any update on the Housh rumor?

patmoran2006
02-27-2009, 08:48 AM
What about the Housh rumor? Did you ask?
yes, I did.. I forgot.
I didnt hear anything about us even speaking with his agent. Doesnt mean they havent, or wont.

X-Era
02-27-2009, 08:51 AM
By the way, Keith Brooking is obviously an instant upgrade to Ellison. At the very worst, hes an upgrade at backup LB. Thats an improvement. Id like it.

patmoran2006
02-27-2009, 08:51 AM
Wow.
now confirmed, Bart Scott to the Jets

dasaybz
02-27-2009, 08:52 AM
Alright, just got done talking with my contact, who’s info has been impeccable over the last 48 hours. This is stuff that I can share with ya. Randomly written down.<o:p></o:p>
n Earlier reports are accurate. Coles, Fitzpatrick, Simmons and Hangartner are indeed all scheduled to visit today. In fact, Hangartner is en route right now.<o:p></o:p>
n Regarding Coles, per who I talked too, he doesn’t see the Bills signing him. For starters, he walked away from $6 million guaranteed this year and there is no way the Bills are paying him that much money this year. Perhaps they are trying to drive up a price for <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Miami</st1:place></st1:city>? <o:p></o:p>
n Hangartner was the FIRST person contacted right after midnight. The Bills envision him as their starting center. I would almost bet he’s the first person we officially signed.<o:p></o:p>
n Simmons will go through a battery of tests on his achiles. Not that this means anything, but he also has diabetes. The Bills liked his ability before the injury and he’s known to be an extremely high character guy. <o:p></o:p>
n Fitzpatrick was the first QB they wanted to contact. The club really likes him. They didn’t contact Kyle Boller, who per my conversation they expect to land in <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Dallas</st1:place></st1:city>. Rex Grossman (ewww) is a potential candidate<o:p></o:p>
n Russ Brandon put an offer to Jason Peters agent, Eugene Parker on the table on Wednesday. I haven’t been able to find out squat about what it may be for.<o:p></o:p>
n Regarding Royal and Dockery, both were cut due to performance and not money. It was confirmed Dockery saves them $26 milion over the remainder of his contract. Sadly, this guy made $18.5 million in his two years with the Bills.<o:p></o:p>
n The Bills are “keeping tabs” on Jason Brown. No formal visit has been scheduled, and I couldn’t tell for sure that we tried to get him in here, but I can tell it kinda sounds like they attempted and Brown was more interested in visiting St. Louis.<o:p></o:p>
n The club “doesn’t appear” to be interested in Matt Birk.<o:p></o:p>
n No contact for Michael Boley. However, the club is developing an interest in Indy LB Freddy Keiaho, who was just released by the Colts for cap reasons. For the record, he’s only 229 pounds, though he did have over 100 tackles last year.<o:p></o:p>
n No contact, as of yet regarding Antonio Smith and Bertrand Berry. They don’t expect to be able to land Smith, who is already getting interest from a half dozen teams.<o:p></o:p>
n They were never intending on being players for Haynesworth. At $100 million, I don’t blame them.<o:p></o:p>
n I found this VERY interesting. The FO wrestled with the idea of cutting Aaron Schobel and then possibly trying to bring him back at a cheaper price. In the end obviously, they kept him, and owe him a $3.5 million bonus as of today.<o:p></o:p>
n The Bills expect Bart Scott to go to the Jets for close to $8 million per year.<o:p></o:p>
n No interest in Derrick Brooks, at least that’s as of now.<o:p></o:p>
n Russ Brandon is running things right now, Modrak is pretty much doing what he always does and that’s getting ready for the draft.<o:p></o:p>
n Fred Taylor is with the Patriots. The Bills interest in Kevin Jones is legit. From what I got, they’re insuring themselves at RB in case Lynch gets suspended, and they are also sending a message out to him.<o:p></o:p>
n Keith Brooking could be on the Bills radar at WLB.<o:p></o:p>

IF this is true, then it looks like the same ol same ol from OBD.

Nothing here gets me even remotely excited.

X-Era
02-27-2009, 08:56 AM
Yeah, it is classic Bills.

We don't mind guys that are either unproven (but highly thought of), or we want guys that are coming off injury, or on the wrong side of 30. Translation... we dont want to spend top money.

That said, we just cut a guy that we spent top money on.

acehole
02-27-2009, 08:57 AM
If they sign Fitz, I'll be happy for day 1. He's the best available backup QB, IMO.

He will be starting by game 3 and will be an improvement.

patmoran2006
02-27-2009, 09:02 AM
Update: 10:00 AM<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Jamie Winborn is in for a visit today.. It was reported somewhere that he visited with the team yesterday. .That is not accurate. He is here visiting this morning.<o:p></o:p>

Bulldog
02-27-2009, 09:03 AM
Happy days. I can hardly contain my excitement.

X-Era
02-27-2009, 09:04 AM
Pat, that was BB.com that reported that.

If Winborn is back, then we probably are signing him.

yordad
02-27-2009, 09:04 AM
Happy days. I can hardly contain my excitement.I think I peed alittle.

Jan Reimers
02-27-2009, 09:08 AM
Happy days. I can hardly contain my excitement.
I know the feeling. I'm trying to get excited, but at my age, I may have to try other measures.

bigbub2352
02-27-2009, 09:11 AM
cheap cheap cheap
sign oft injured and backups and then let the media brainwash begin, did we bring in any starters?? Coles is small we need size damn frustrating if u ask me

DBrown77
02-27-2009, 09:11 AM
i would pay 6 mil for Coles. 70 catches a season. taking pressure off of evans. keeping him from going to miami

X-Era
02-27-2009, 09:17 AM
6 mill for Coles? Hell ya!

Why the hell not?

patmoran2006
02-27-2009, 09:27 AM

Why the hell not?
Because IMO he's not much better, if at all, than Reed. and he's another small WR with concussion and ankle problems?

Coles is a name. We dont need names.. we need players.

homeslice5484
02-27-2009, 09:30 AM
i agree...and we need size!

Jan Reimers
02-27-2009, 09:31 AM

Why the hell not?
Smallish, 31, and not the kind of red zone target we desperately need. But he has been very productive, is still pretty quick and sure-handed, and would represent an immediate upgrade.

X-Era
02-27-2009, 09:32 AM
Completely disagree Pat.

Coles is now and always has been better than Reed and using that logic, I guess you think were just fine with Reed.

Well I dont and havent for years. Hes not horrible. But hes also not a #2 WR. Coles in many teams #1, and would be a solid #2 here.

Reed doesnt demand coverage... Coles does.

No, we need to make this move, it makes us better.

Mahdi
02-27-2009, 09:33 AM
Smallish, 31, and not the kind of red zone target we desperately need. But he has been very productive, is still pretty quick and sure-handed, and would represent an immediate upgrade.
His speed, experience and hands would definitely bring credibility to the #2 WR spot but it would be sacrificing the development of Stevie Johnson. If we sign Coles then Reed should be cut to allow Johnson to develop at the #3 spot.

patmoran2006
02-27-2009, 09:35 AM
Completely disagree Pat.

Coles is now and always has been better than Reed and using that logic, I guess you think were just fine with Reed.

Well I dont and havent for years. Hes not horrible. But hes also not a #2 WR. Coles in many teams #1, and would be a solid #2 here.

Reed doesnt demand coverage... Coles does.

No, we need to make this move, it makes us better.
I dont think we're fine with just reed, I just dont want Coles and that price tag.

I'd rather have Nate Washington, who is in Detroit this morning, btw.

Dr. Lecter
02-27-2009, 09:35 AM
His speed, experience and hands would definitely bring credibility to the #2 WR spot but it would be sacrificing the development of Stevie Johnson. If we sign Coles then Reed should be cut to allow Johnson to develop at the #3 spot.

Cut Reed just to develop a guy who might be able to be a #3 when the guy we are cutting is a #3????

Now way. Let Johnson be #4 for a year or so.

X-Era
02-27-2009, 09:36 AM
I just dont think mortgaging now for the future is the smartest either.

Add Coles even if it stunts Johnson. Johnson could over take Reed in free agency. I could see the Bills letting Reed go after TC if Johnson continues to develop. They may not think hes as good as Reed now, but for the money, they may say that the Bills are wiser to let Johnson develop.

Regardless, Coles takes heat off Evans and that makes us better

patmoran2006
02-27-2009, 09:38 AM
I just dont think mortgaging now for the future is the smartest either.

Add Coles even if it stunts Johnson. Johnson could over take Reed in free agency. I could see the Bills letting Reed go after TC if Johnson continues to develop. They may not think hes as good as Reed now, but for the money, they may say that the Bills are wiser to let Johnson develop.

Regardless, Coles takes heat off Evans and that makes us better
Nothing wrong with disagreeing.
I just dont' value Coles the same way you do.. I agree about what a good #2 WR would do for us, I just dont think that guy is Coles.

Jan Reimers
02-27-2009, 09:39 AM
Cut Reed just to develop a guy who might be able to be a #3 when the guy we are cutting is a #3????

Now way. Let Johnson be #4 for a year or so.
I agree. Many posters always want to cut Reed, and then he turns out to be one of our best receivers.

Philagape
02-27-2009, 09:42 AM
Parrish should be cut before Reed. Parrish's only value is a returner, and there are others who can do that.

DBrown77
02-27-2009, 09:45 AM
I cant get a feel for this board today. People are not happy if we do something and not happy just sitting around. No one wants to spend money, then they say Buffalo is cheap for not pursuing guys.

X-Era
02-27-2009, 09:46 AM
I cant get a feel for this board today. People are not happy if we do something and not happy just sitting around. No one wants to spend money, then they say Buffalo is cheap for not pursuing guys.

Thank you!

patmoran2006
02-27-2009, 09:53 AM
I hope we spend a ton, just on the right people.

Dujek
02-27-2009, 09:55 AM
I don't see why we wouldn't pay $6 million per for Coles. That's solid #2 money, and he's a solid #2.

As far as a red-zone target goes, that's what TEs and James Hardy are for. As long as we sign a TE that can catch the ball and not fumble it, I don't see a problem in also signing Coles.

DBrown77
02-27-2009, 09:56 AM
Pat, in your opnion, who are the right people?

Right now i think Hangartner, Coles, Fitzpatrick.

chernobylwraiths
02-27-2009, 09:56 AM
I hope we spend a ton, just on the right people.

No, you hope we spend on guys YOU like. Which is fine, but not everybody likes the guys you like.

Coles would be a very good addition IMO.

DraftBoy
02-27-2009, 10:01 AM
Can I get some credit for calling about the Bills maybe having interest in Keiaho? Who needs insiders!

Btw Pat your source is wrong Keiaho was not cut. He was an RFA that Indy decided not to tender an offer too.

patmoran2006
02-27-2009, 10:04 AM
No, I was wrong not him.. I wrote he was cut that's my mistake.

patmoran2006
02-27-2009, 10:05 AM
No, you hope we spend on guys YOU like. Which is fine, but not everybody likes the guys you like.

Coles would be a very good addition IMO.
what about coles in your opinion makes him a good addition? Im not being sarcastic, I'm interested in your answer.

chernobylwraiths
02-27-2009, 10:09 AM
what about coles in your opinion makes him a good addition? Im not being sarcastic, I'm interested in your answer.

He's a veteran who has great hands and makes plays. He has been his whole career. People say we lack playmakers and he is one. When Reed is out of the lineup (which seems to be a lot) we seem to have no passing attack. Coles would be a very good number 2 threat that could even open up the running lanes (if we have a capable Oline).

He isn't the greatest guy out there, but he would help quite a bit IMO. Other players might be better like TJ (which as you know will never happen) but for options out there, he is good.

patmoran2006
02-27-2009, 10:11 AM
He's a veteran who has great hands and makes plays. He has been his whole career. People say we lack playmakers and he is one. When Reed is out of the lineup (which seems to be a lot) we seem to have no passing attack. Coles would be a very good number 2 threat that could even open up the running lanes (if we have a capable Oline).

He isn't the greatest guy out there, but he would help quite a bit IMO. Other players might be better like TJ (which as you know will never happen) but for options out there, he is good.
Valid points.

The Spaz
02-27-2009, 10:11 AM
Get Coles and draft a TE and the receiver position should be good.

patmoran2006
02-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Do you think he's worth in excess of $6million though?

The Spaz
02-27-2009, 10:14 AM

No idea but we are kind of desperate. I would rather get a vet. than force a rookie WR to make the necessary plays.

don137
02-27-2009, 10:16 AM
I hope Hamgartner matured and came into his own since 2007 because I did not think he did a good job in 2007 when he played a lot of center. I like him much better at guard.

chernobylwraiths
02-27-2009, 10:41 AM

probably not, but getting nobody at nothing isn't a very good tradeoff.

Dr. Lecter
02-27-2009, 10:43 AM
This might be a perception thing on my part, but having had Cole on FFL a few years he seems to have a bunch of TD that are 10 yards or less. In other words, he is effective in the red zone.

DraftBoy
02-27-2009, 10:46 AM
I think Coles is worth the 6+ million guaranteed. He has great hands, can go over the middle, and like Doc pointed out he is effective in the red zone.