PDA

View Full Version : Another reason why WGR annoys me

Dr. Lecter
02-27-2009, 09:15 AM
Next Wednesday, during the NHL trading deadline, they are going to be live and local all day. No Cowherd. No show with the idiot Rome.

But today they do not do so. Cowherd is on now.

I hate sports radio in Buffalo.

T-Long
02-27-2009, 09:16 AM
Yeah I have been listening online and now I'm pissed too. What the ****??!?!

chernobylwraiths
02-27-2009, 09:18 AM
Well, they are the voice of the Sabres and not the Bills. That's one. There WILL be deals at the NHL deadline and I guarantee the Sabres make at least one crappy deal. There is no guarantee that the Bills do anything until Schoop and the Bulldog come on at 3.

The Spaz
02-27-2009, 09:19 AM
WGR is a ****ing joke and they are the only game in town!:puke:

chernobylwraiths
02-27-2009, 09:19 AM
they have updates all day though, about every 10 or so minutes.

Dr. Lecter
02-27-2009, 09:21 AM
Well, they are the voice of the Sabres and not the Bills. That's one. There WILL be deals at the NHL deadline and I guarantee the Sabres make at least one crappy deal. There is no guarantee that the Bills do anything until Schoop and the Bulldog come on at 3.

The trade deadline is at 4 next week.

They might not make a move until 3 or later then too.

chernobylwraiths
02-27-2009, 09:23 AM
The trade deadline is at 4 next week.

They might not make a move until 3 or later then too.

just sayin

the NHL trade deadline usually has tons of deals during the day, the NFL has been slow in recent years. Plus they don't like football as much.

The worst is that I can't get it on my radio in my office AND the GR website is blocked by my company so I can't even stream it online. :(

Michael82
02-27-2009, 09:24 AM
It amazes me how biased they are and how they seem to be so much geared towards the NHL and the Buffalo Sabres first and the Buffalo Bills and the NFL last. Come on. Today is the biggest day in the NFL and history has proven that the Bills are always busy this day. We don't need to heard that idiot Cowherd. We want the latest from One Bills Drive and the same 24 hr coverage that they do for the NHL trading deadline, which usually doesn't amount to much.

cpearl
02-27-2009, 09:30 AM
Guess what? The Sabres make the playoffs and are a competitive team. The Bills don't and aren't.

Dr. Lecter
02-27-2009, 09:34 AM
The Sabres did not last year and might not this year.

I do not question the Bills suckiness. But it would be a good day to be on local.

Dr. Lecter
02-27-2009, 09:34 AM
PS: Welcome to the Zone!

THATHURMANATOR
02-27-2009, 09:35 AM
Guess what? The Sabres make the playoffs and are a competitive team. The Bills don't and aren't.
Neither did last year.

WGR is the official station of the Sabres. It is that simple.

cpearl
02-27-2009, 10:01 AM
Thanks, long time lurker.

I know they didn't make the playoffs last year, but they have been to 2 conference finals in the past 3 years and been fairly competitive recently. I just see a shift from a football town to a hockey town. And I know it's hard to admit, but the Sabres give the town hope. The Bills give us heartache...and Dick Juaron.

raphael120
02-27-2009, 10:54 AM
Yeah because....WGR has so much to report on so far...they really missed the boat there....

Chill out, spaz.

DraftBoy
02-27-2009, 10:58 AM
WGR could be reporting the four visits we are having today, the Jets landing a huge LB in Scott, NE landing Taylor, and anything else AFCE or Bills related. Its a great day for talk and rumors. Both stations in Atlanta are running local broadcasts only today when they usually switch to ESPN and Sporting News radio from 11-3.

raphael120
02-27-2009, 11:01 AM
I'd rather talk about the Sabres than people just "visiting" the Bills. I'm sorry, but Buffalo is leaning more and more towards a hockey town.

DraftBoy
02-27-2009, 11:03 AM
I'd rather talk about the Sabres than people just "visiting" the Bills. I'm sorry, but Buffalo is leaning more and more towards a hockey town.

Sucks to be you guys then, we are football down here 24/7/365

THATHURMANATOR
02-27-2009, 11:03 AM
WGR could be reporting the four visits we are having today, the Jets landing a huge LB in Scott, NE landing Taylor, and anything else AFCE or Bills related. Its a great day for talk and rumors. Both stations in Atlanta are running local broadcasts only today when they usually switch to ESPN and Sporting News radio from 11-3.
I don't care if WGR has a local Free agent signing show. It isn't needed.

DMBcrew36
02-27-2009, 11:06 AM
I don't mind.

Buffalo is a HOCKEYTOWN and it's mid-season. Hockey will dominate until the NFL draft.

Dr. Lecter
02-27-2009, 11:07 AM
Now I have to turn it off and will miss the updates.

Rome is on. :ill:

DraftBoy
02-27-2009, 11:09 AM
I don't care if WGR has a local Free agent signing show. It isn't needed.

One would think/hope that your local guys would at least have better access/insight to moves than some 2:30 minute ESPN SC reporter doing the update.

Is it needed? No of course not, but wouldnt it be nice to have?

RockStar36
02-27-2009, 11:14 AM
WGR is right on with this.

The trade deadline is a big deal, it's a big day, and they are the official voice of the Sabres.

The start of free agency isn't a big deal. ESPN will give you all the updates you need. It's all a bunch of talk today, nothing major. The trade deadline is one and done on that day.

THATHURMANATOR
02-27-2009, 11:18 AM
One would think/hope that your local guys would at least have better access/insight to moves than some 2:30 minute ESPN SC reporter doing the update.

Is it needed? No of course not, but wouldnt it be nice to have?
I suppose but I don't really care either way. What is the difference really. A player signs he signs.

I also don't really think an NHL trade deadline show is necessary either.

THATHURMANATOR
02-27-2009, 11:18 AM
WGR is right on with this.

The trade deadline is a big deal, it's a big day, and they are the official voice of the Sabres.

The start of free agency isn't a big deal. ESPN will give you all the updates you need. It's all a bunch of talk today, nothing major. The trade deadline is one and done on that day.
And I will say the Sabres are in the thick of the playoff race where Football season is MONTHS away.

RockStar36
02-27-2009, 11:19 AM
And I will say the Sabres are in the thick of the playoff race where Football season is MONTHS away.

Exactly.

If they went all local today it would just be garbage talk in between the sports updates. The trade deadline will be much more active. I need to find a way to listen to WGR at work for that. I can't listen online and I don't get the radio signal at my desk.

DraftBoy
02-27-2009, 11:21 AM
I see the points for sure, I just know that today is a huge day down here and the stations are playing to that.

If its not up in Buffalo then that works for you guys then. Either way.

RockStar36
02-27-2009, 11:21 AM
It would be a huge deal if the Bills were relevant or doing anything newsworthy, which they aren't.

THATHURMANATOR
02-27-2009, 11:22 AM
I see the points for sure, I just know that today is a huge day down here and the stations are playing to that.

If its not up in Buffalo then that works for you guys then. Either way.
Hockey is on the front burner right now DB.

Nighthawk
02-27-2009, 12:18 PM
Next Wednesday, during the NHL trading deadline, they are going to be live and local all day. No Cowherd. No show with the idiot Rome.

But today they do not do so. Cowherd is on now.

I hate sports radio in Buffalo.

Totally agree. That station is a joke of a sports talk radio station and if there was competition, they would have a hard time getting listeners.

Dr. Lecter
02-27-2009, 12:52 PM
Totally agree. That station is a joke of a sports talk radio station and if there was competition, they would have a hard time getting listeners.

We do agree on something!!!

Rome is worthless. Now he is rambling on about people named Rex. WTF?????

How can anybody listen to this guy and actually find him entertaining????

RockStar36
02-27-2009, 12:53 PM

It's the Rex streak.

While we're *****ing about on air "talent", I don't mind WGR but Howard Simon has to be one of the most annoying voices I've heard on the air.

THATHURMANATOR
02-27-2009, 12:53 PM

I was huge on rome back in the day. His show is funny.

I used to get emails read regularly.

THATHURMANATOR
02-27-2009, 12:54 PM
It's the Rex streak.

While we're *****ing about on air "talent", I don't mind WGR but Howard Simon has to be one of the most annoying voices I've heard on the air.
The only people I like on WGR are Schopp because he destroys the idiots that call in and Paul hamilton. He knows his stuff.

RockStar36
02-27-2009, 12:55 PM
I don't mind Schopp and the Bulldog, which is a huge change of thought from about 2 years ago. And I don't mind Jeremy White or Hamilton. If I were running the station Simon would be the first to go.

THATHURMANATOR
02-27-2009, 12:58 PM
I don't mind Schopp and the Bulldog, which is a huge change of thought from about 2 years ago. And I don't mind Jeremy White or Hamilton. If I were running the station Simon would be the first to go.
Bulldog is a rambling mumbling idiot. Seems like a nice guy but can't STAND him on the radio.

Michael82
02-27-2009, 01:00 PM
:rofl: Buffalo is not leaning towards a hockey town. I'm sorry, but it's still Buffalo Bills first. Look at the Arena and how many games weren't sold out in the fall, until the football season was over with. Also, WGR always tries to keep the Sabres the main topic, because they are the official radio station of the Sabres, but many people try to change it towards the Bills. Oh and if the Sabres continue their slide, they will miss the playoffs for the 2nd year in a row, after getting everyone in Buffalo excited about the team a few years ago when they go so close to the Stanley Cup....

RockStar36
02-27-2009, 01:01 PM
:rofl: Buffalo is not leaning towards a hockey town. I'm sorry, but it's still Buffalo Bills first. Look at the Arena and how many games weren't sold out in the fall, until the football season was over with. Also, WGR always tries to keep the Sabres the main topic, because they are the official radio station of the Sabres, but many people try to change it towards the Bills. Oh and if the Sabres continue their slide, they will miss the playoffs for the 2nd year in a row, after getting everyone in Buffalo excited about the team a few years ago when they go so close to the Stanley Cup....

Don't be so sure of yourself.

Wait till this NFL season starts. The lack of Sabres attendance has a lot more to do with the current economy than people buying up Bills tickets.

Michael82
02-27-2009, 01:03 PM
As for the trade deadline, I tried getting into it last year and it was boring as hell. Nothing really happened, except for a few trades towards the end. And the Sabres probably won't be active either.... :ill:

RockStar36
02-27-2009, 01:04 PM
It's not fantasy hockey. The Sabres don't have to wheel and deal to improve the team.

Last year was a lot different than this year.

chernobylwraiths
02-27-2009, 01:07 PM
Now I have to turn it off and will miss the updates.

Rome is on. :ill:

In all honesty, Rome isn't the Ahole he used to be. He's still an ahole at times, but he talks hockey sometimes, and has nice things to say about Buffalo at times.

He's a far cry from the guy who almost got jacked up by Jim Everett.

Michael82
02-27-2009, 01:07 PM
Do you honestly think that they can leave the team alone and go far in the Stanley Cup Playoffs? no way. They will get crushed in the first round. They are too soft. :ill:

chernobylwraiths
02-27-2009, 01:09 PM
Exactly.

If they went all local today it would just be garbage talk in between the sports updates. The trade deadline will be much more active. I need to find a way to listen to WGR at work for that. I can't listen online and I don't get the radio signal at my desk.

When you find out let me know. I considered buying a special AM radio that gets good reception, but I don't want to put out the money right now.

RockStar36
02-27-2009, 01:09 PM
Do you honestly think that they can leave the team alone and go far in the Stanley Cup Playoffs? no way. They will get crushed in the first round. They are too soft. :ill:

There is a HUGE difference between leaving the team alone and making some gigantic trade with multiple players that brings someone in with a name everybody recognizes.

Maybe a little tweaking here and there, but getting Miller and Vanek back will be so big for them.

RockStar36
02-27-2009, 01:27 PM
Thurm was that you on Rome just now?

Michael82
02-27-2009, 03:41 PM
They are still talking about the Sabres.... :rofl:

DMBcrew36
02-27-2009, 03:58 PM
Don't be so sure of yourself.

Wait till this NFL season starts. The lack of Sabres attendance has a lot more to do with the current economy than people buying up Bills tickets.

It also has to do with the new Platinum pricing for certain games - making tickets START at somewhere near $60 or 70.

Mikey just doesn't like hockey.

RockStar36
02-27-2009, 04:04 PM
It also has to do with the new Platinum pricing for certain games - making tickets START at somewhere near $60 or 70.

He's their number one fan once the playoffs start.

RockStar36
02-27-2009, 04:04 PM
They are still talking about the Sabres.... :rofl:

I don't know what is so hard to understand.

There is about 20 games left in the NHL season and the Sabres are in the thick of a very tight playoff race, and the trade deadline is coming up.

The Bills are in the middle of the longest off-season in professional sports and aren't doing ANYTHING right now.

Michael82
02-27-2009, 04:15 PM

Yeah I do. But today is the biggest day in the NFL Offseason, other than the draft. Every sports station around the country is talking about free agency. Especially the cities that have NFL teams. Meanwhile WGR is talking about the Sabres and texting while driving. :sigh:

I miss WNSA. :(

RockStar36
02-27-2009, 04:22 PM
Yeah I do. But today is the biggest day in the NFL Offseason, other than the draft. Every sports station around the country is talking about free agency. Especially the cities that have NFL teams. Meanwhile WGR is talking about the Sabres and texting while driving. :sigh:

The biggest day?

Haynesworth gets overpaid, and a bunch of visits. Wow. What a day.

chernobylwraiths
02-27-2009, 04:28 PM
The biggest day?

It IS a big day in the NFL. Maybe not as much as it used to be, but big none the less. Especially if you are a fan of NE, Washington, Miami and Dallas

DMBcrew36
02-27-2009, 04:28 PM

Why would they talk about the Bills or NFL other than the updates every 20 minutes? The Bills haven't done anything and they are one of the most pathetic teams in sports. This isn't the biggest day in the NFL offseason (other than the draft) for Buffalo. It is a meaningless day because we won't get the 'Haynesworth.' We won't do enough to make us competitive. And if we do, it's just a reason for false hope.

Buffalo is a hockeytown and the season is still currently going on with hopes of the playoffs.

THATHURMANATOR
02-27-2009, 04:32 PM
The biggest day?

Yeah HUGE day

Bigger than the draft even.....

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
02-27-2009, 05:18 PM
WGR is a ****ing joke and they are the only game in town!:puke:

It didn't used to be that way, there used to be another sports channel on the FM side,

http://www.fybush.com/images/2004/wnsa.jpg

in 2001 Empire Sports Network made their own sports station on 107.7FM it was set up to compete with WGR55 and it did more than compete with WGR it blew WGR55 out of the water in the ratings WGR55 just couldn't compete. With Howard Simon in the morning, Art Wander (The Tiny Tot of the Kilowatt and host of "Don't get me started" which was like Fan Forum on Empire Sports Network) in the afternoon and Mike Soap from 3-6 (Sports Talk for Smart people) Then the Rigas family decided they would cook the books and use Adelphia's money as their own personal piggy bank to build their own private golf course. When Adelphia filed for bankruptcy the schedule changed It was sporting news radio in the morning, Art Wander left (retired) Jim Brinson took Wander's spot at noon, and Soap left WNSA and went to WGR55, Howard Simon was now on in the drive time slot 3-6 with the SimonCast which Simon beat WGR singlehandedly in the ratings and then was later televised on Empire Sports Network. But Empire and WNSA were still in trouble because of Adelphia filing for bankruptcy protection.

In 2003 WNSA was put up as an auction in bankruptcy court which was won by Entercom Communications which owns WGR. Entercom immediately changed WNSA to 107.7 The Lake which played heavy metal music.

RockStar36
02-27-2009, 05:34 PM
It IS a big day in the NFL. Maybe not as much as it used to be, but big none the less. Especially if you are a fan of NE, Washington, Miami and Dallas

Exactly. In big NFL markets. The Bills are side by side with the Detroit Lions for laughing stocks of the league. So really, it isn't that big of a deal for the Bills.

BuffaloRanger
02-27-2009, 05:42 PM
If WGR is the offical station of the Sabres who is the official station of the Bills in Buffalo and why don't they have some coverage?

I don't think it's that Sabres tickets are so expensive, it's that Season Ticket holders try to resell them for 3 times what they paid for them.

Try to buy a ticket on Stub Hub or TicketsNow. Usually twice the ticket price 3x what a ST paid for them. I've talked to many fans at games that have ST's they don't even use, they just sell them every game, with the profits covering the tickets they do use. Screw them. Bring on the recession! I look forward to the day that tit runs dry.

chernobylwraiths
02-27-2009, 06:27 PM
Exactly. In big NFL markets. The Bills are side by side with the Detroit Lions for laughing stocks of the league. So really, it isn't that big of a deal for the Bills.

With all due respect, you have no idea what you are talking about if this is what you think. It is a big day in all NFL markets. Every fan hopes that THEIR team makes the huge signing. At least this league isn't major league baseball yet. If you don't think it's big, just look at this board with all the whining, crying, ulcers, and near suicide watches.

chernobylwraiths
02-27-2009, 06:29 PM
If WGR is the offical station of the Sabres who is the official station of the Bills in Buffalo and why don't they have some coverage?

I don't think it's that Sabres tickets are so expensive, it's that Season Ticket holders try to resell them for 3 times what they paid for them.

Try to buy a ticket on Stub Hub or TicketsNow. Usually twice the ticket price 3x what a ST paid for them. I've talked to many fans at games that have ST's they don't even use, they just sell them every game, with the profits covering the tickets they do use. Screw them. Bring on the recession! I look forward to the day that tit runs dry.

97 Rock is the official radio station of the Bills. I think GR tried to land the Bills and the Bills didn't want anything to do with them. I think it was because of Donahoe too because GR criticizes everybody. :idunno:

chernobylwraiths
02-27-2009, 06:30 PM

Oh, if you are serious about a game, PM Dr Lecter before the season after he gets tickets and he might be able to sell you a pair.