PDA

View Full Version : Source: Bills DID try to reach out to Jason Brown

patmoran2006
02-27-2009, 10:10 AM
This is a big enough tidbit to have its own discussion.

I got it on solid word that the Bills attempted to get OL Jason Brown in for a visit over last night. Russ Brandon apparently talked to Brown’s agent, Harold Lewis, and at that time Lewis told him Brown already had a visit to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">St. Louis</st1:place></st1:City> planned and it was likely he would be signing with them as early as Friday afternoon.

The Rams supposedly are prepared to give him a 5 year deal for over $36 million.

My take: Good, at least we did try to reach out to him. I was under the impression we didnt' even bother.

ddaryl
02-27-2009, 10:13 AM
then offer him 37 million

reach out is one thing any team can "reach out" get his ass over here is what I expect

patmoran2006
02-27-2009, 10:17 AM
My bad.. Its close to $40 million.
Brown wants $8 per year.

NO WAY we afford that AND Keep jason peters.

ddaryl
02-27-2009, 10:20 AM
why did we give Toronto a home game a year. It was to be able to compete with the big market clubs and build a winner. That is what Ralph told us... the Toronto millions was to make this team better and competitve

We can easily do both and more, and the only reason not to is Cash to Crap and a owner and his FO cornnies that just do not get it. There is a way with 2010 being uncapped we oculd easily push some monies into 2010...

Ickybaluky
02-27-2009, 10:21 AM
According to the National Football Post, the Raiders have gotten involved with Jason Brown as well. That means they will probably overpay him by a ton.

bigbub2352
02-27-2009, 10:24 AM
cheap cheap cheap

Dr. Lecter
02-27-2009, 10:36 AM
cheap cheap cheap

They are not cheap with players. That has been proven 1000s of times. They suck at evaluation, but are not cheap.

Would you give Brown 8 million +? Seriously?

THATHURMANATOR
02-27-2009, 10:38 AM
WE DON'T NEED ANOTHER GUARD FOR 8 MIL A YEAR GUYS.

floridajoe
02-27-2009, 10:38 AM
My bad.. Its close to $40 million.
Brown wants $8 per year.

NO WAY we afford that AND Keep jason peters.

That is correct. There are some who want to add more peices w/o any regard to paying the existing pieces. Jason Peters is more important because he is already here, he is in our scheme and has performed. We know what we're getting. What are we getting with J. Brown, a 1 yr. starter in a different system?

ddaryl
02-27-2009, 10:40 AM
for a stud C that can deal with big DT's and make a world of difference for the OL

hell yes. I have no porblems with signing difference makers to big contracts, and this game is won and lost in the trenches, and the OL is a trench that is beyond desperate for a stud C

We got rid of Dockerys massive contact which was 7 years 49 million. Why can't we sign Brown to a 5 year 40 million contract...

mysticsoto
02-27-2009, 10:42 AM
The one good thing is that this draft is heavy with good quality Centers. All we need is someone for 1-2 yrs atmost. I have no problem bringing in this Hangartner as temporary until the newly drafted Center is ready to go.

THATHURMANATOR
02-27-2009, 10:43 AM
for a stud C that can deal with big DT's and make a world of difference for the OL

hell yes. I have no porblems with signing difference makers to big contracts, and this game is won and lost in the trenches, and the OL is a trench that is beyond desperate for a stud C

We got rid of Dockerys massive contact which was 7 years 49 million. Why can't we sign Brown to a 5 year 40 million contract...
Guards and Centers should NOT be making that much money. They are positions EASILY filled in the draft in the mid rounds.

ddaryl
02-27-2009, 10:43 AM
That is correct. There are some who want to add more peices w/o any regard to paying the existing pieces. Jason Peters is more important because he is already here, he is in our scheme and has performed. We know what we're getting. What are we getting with J. Brown, a 1 yr. starter in a different system?

Brown is a 3 year starter who is entering his prime and would instantly make our OL MUCH better

and we can afford both Peters and Brown and still sign other FA's. 2010 is uncapped and we have about 70+ million form the Toronto deal to play with

We just got rid of Dockery's 7 million a year deal and everyone here can easily say Brown is better then Dockery....

this we can't sign both is a buch of big time BS

THATHURMANATOR
02-27-2009, 10:46 AM
Brown is a 3 year starter who is entering his prime and would instantly make our OL MUCH better

and we can afford both Peters and Brown and still sign other FA's. 2010 is uncapped and we have about 70+ million form the Toronto deal to play with

We just got rid of Dockery's 7 million a year deal and everyone here can easily say Brown is better then Dockery....

this we can't sign both is a buch of big time BS
Sure they could afford both but why tie up that much in 2 OL positions. Waste of money. Now if the Bills aren't going to spend any money you are right to be annoyed but if they by some miracle do I would rather have DE,WR, OLB, SS, TE addressed.

I feel they can get a decent replacement for guard in the draft or maybe a vet stopgap/Draft combo.

ddaryl
02-27-2009, 10:48 AM
Guards and Centers should NOT be making that much money. They are positions EASILY filled in the draft in the mid rounds.

OK lets draft a rookie then.. should be a guarenteed upgrade that we can depend upon

The problem is we need a TE, DE, G, C, OLB and all the offerings in FA for these positons are weak. Outside of Brown there are no studs at any of the other positions that can make the impact Brown can make

The one chance we have at making this team better through FA is to get ourselves one of the best C' s in the league. I'd pour a ton of money into the OL because you will go alot further in this league with a dominant OL then having dominant O skill positons, which depend on the OL.

patmoran2006
02-27-2009, 10:49 AM
Alright. This really bothers me. Im trying to keep as much as stuff on a single thread, but this is indicative of this franchise.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I pressed about Jason Brown and asked why you didn’t think the Bills were willing to do more for an obvious need in Brown. And this is what I got back.<o:p></o:p>
“The organization is hesitant to overpay another guard $40 million after getting burned by Dockery”.<o:p></o:p>
WTF!!!!! Why does John Guy still have a job?? If you can’t evaluate talent properly, then find someone who can!<o:p></o:p>

DraftBoy
02-27-2009, 10:50 AM
Like I said over a week ago given that Brown wanted to be paid like a high end OG I was not interested. This just proves that point.

ddaryl
02-27-2009, 10:50 AM
Sure they could afford both but why tie up that much in 2 OL positions. Waste of money. Now if the Bills aren't going to spend any money you are right to be annoyed but if they by some miracle do I would rather have DE,WR, OLB, SS, TE addressed.

I feel they can get a decent replacement for guard in the draft or maybe a vet stopgap/Draft combo.

we had no problem tying up 7 mil a season for Dockery.. and now that money is freed back up again.

I completely disagree with your assesment. OL is where the money needs to be put over WR TE SS or OLB.. I'd put money into DE because its the DL...

and Brown is the only FA at any of those positions that I feel is a big enough difference maker to make this team better.

Money belongs in the trenches 1st IMO...

DraftBoy
02-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Alright. This really bothers me. Im trying to keep as much as stuff on a single thread, but this is indicative of this franchise.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I pressed about Jason Brown and asked why you didn’t think the Bills were willing to do more for an obvious need in Brown. And this is what I got back.<o:p></o:p>
“The organization is hesitant to overpay another guard $40 million after getting burned by Dockery”.<o:p></o:p>
WTF!!!!! Why does John Guy still have a job?? If you can’t evaluate talent properly, then find someone who can!<o:p></o:p>

Can't blame that. Brown is not an NFL proven OG. As an OC, and at an OC pay rate Id be happy to have him. But paying him as a top OG when he has not proven it is taking a risk we can't afford right now. That was a good move, imo.

The Spaz
02-27-2009, 10:51 AM
If he really wants to be a G then I would pass too.

mysticsoto
02-27-2009, 10:52 AM

I'd send a Thanks your way if I could. That is exactly right. If we can get a decent #2 WR and maybe a better decent backup LB, we can spend rd 1 for the top DE available. Rd 2 for a top TE, Rd 3 for a top Center and rd 4 for the highest OG. And then you can draft raw prospect for S, DT and maybe even another OG.

DraftBoy
02-27-2009, 10:54 AM
Complete agreement with Thurm and Mystic here on the idea of not paying OG and OC's that much. Its just ridiculous. Though my draft plans would vary a little from Mystic's at this juncture.

ddaryl
02-27-2009, 10:56 AM
mysticsoto

just hit the give rep buttin in the top left corner of th epost you know the scales.. and give him a full rep

LMAO

round 3 C and round 4 G

and they'll come in on day 1 and start and be dominant ????

so if that's the attitude then we are building for 2012 - 2013 run

wow I cannot beleive people here think the OL deserves this lack of FA attention. I would bend over backwards to ensure the OL is the strength of the O so we can beat the piss out of the opposing DL's and power run the ball at will...

bigbub2352
02-27-2009, 10:59 AM
They are not cheap with players. That has been proven 1000s of times. They suck at evaluation, but are not cheap.

Would you give Brown 8 million +? Seriously?
yes i would pay that if it ment something BETTER
Dude u r all over my posts, yes they are cheap hence why we let all our FAs walk and Extend only the ones we can get a deal like bums kelsay reed denney williams and butler
we dont win
we dont sign the right players
we dont draft the right players
it all boils down to what
RW being cheap
not paying for a Front office
not paying for a Coaching staff
not paying for playmakers
overpaying for guys to shut the masses up
and then cutting them cause they didnt fit the scheme
Hey Dr what is your philosphy u think we spend money wisely?
then how does an owner sell games to Toronto pocket close to 80 mil be 25 mil under the cap and u have the nerve to say he is not cheap?
he comes out of the game i should say embarressment in toronto and says with a ****ing laugh we just dont have the talent?
r u kiddin me when he said that we were 20 mil under the cap
Also Dockey was a cost cutting move didnt free up anything on the cap
cheap cheap cheap
no playoffs 10 yrs
cheap cheap cheap
no hits in free agency cause we are
cheap cheap cheap
he laughs all the way to the bank everyear. we sell out the stadium we go on this blog and ***** buy his merchandise raise our kids to be bills fans
people cant pay mortgages and he is laughing cause he knows with a few cheap cheap cheap signings we will all take 4 months of media brainwashing and convince our selves that we will be better and go like drones and buy buy buy
and he puts out a cheap team with a cheap staff with a cheap front office
u do the math
but i know he spends right?
seriously
look around the league everyone spends on there players and we dont hence Greer walking today someone we developed from an UNDFA
Cheap Cheap Cheap
dont worry we will draft another Cb to repace him till he is good enough to comand a big salary then we will walk and the process starts all over again
CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP

THATHURMANATOR
02-27-2009, 11:05 AM
yes i would pay that if it ment something BETTER
Dude u r all over my posts, yes they are cheap hence why we let all our FAs walk and Extend only the ones we can get a deal like bums kelsay reed denney williams and butler
we dont win
it all boils down to what
RW being cheap
not paying for a Front office
not paying for a Coaching staff
not paying for playmakers
overpaying for guys to shut the masses up
and then cutting them cause they didnt fit the scheme
Hey Dr what is your philosphy u think we spend money wisely?
then how does an owner sell games to Toronto pocket close to 80 mil be 25 mil under the cap and u have the nerve to say he is not cheap?
he comes out of the game i should say embarressment in toronto and says with a ****ing laugh we just dont have the talent?
r u kiddin me when he said that we were 20 mil under the cap
Also Dockey was a cost cutting move didnt free up anything on the cap
cheap cheap cheap
no playoffs 10 yrs
cheap cheap cheap
no hits in free agency cause we are
cheap cheap cheap
he laughs all the way to the bank everyear. we sell out the stadium we go on this blog and ***** buy his merchandise raise our kids to be bills fans
people cant pay mortgages and he is laughing cause he knows with a few cheap cheap cheap signings we will all take 4 months of media brainwashing and convince our selves that we will be better and go like drones and buy buy buy
and he puts out a cheap team with a cheap staff with a cheap front office
u do the math
but i know he spends right?
seriously
look around the league everyone spends on there players and we dont hence Greer walking today someone we developed from an UNDFA
Cheap Cheap Cheap
dont worry we will draft another Cb to repace him till he is good enough to comand a big salary then we will walk and the process starts all over again
CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP
You could have summed this up in 1 or 2 words why did you waste so much time?

Dr. Lecter
02-27-2009, 11:05 AM

Agreed. That is not the same as cheap. Dockery was cut because he sucked and does save money in cash to cap. But they do spend money on players. Hell, Dockery made over 18 million in two years. That was not cheap.

They spend money poorly and on bad players. No question. And they overpay for guys like Kelsay (although I like Butler). But again, that is not cheap. They draft poorly. Again, that does not make them cheap. They have not been in the playoffs. Does not make them cheap.

You can type "cheap, cheap, cheap" a 1,000 times today. It does not make it true.

Cheap and stupid are not the same thing. They are stupid, not cheap.

BillsWin
02-27-2009, 11:06 AM
If he was going to anchor our o-line I'd say we should have been like f that Harold, we'll offer 5 years 40 mill and some incentives.

money should be no object. If he was the best out there we should have done something.

DraftBoy
02-27-2009, 11:10 AM

Agreed. That is not the same as cheap. Dockery was cut because he sucked and does save money in cash to cap. But they do spend money on players. Hell, Dockery made over 18 million in two years. That was not cheap.

They spend money poorly and on bad players. No question. And they overpay for guys like Kelsay (although I like Butler). But again, that is not cheap. They draft poorly. Again, that does not make them cheap. They have not been in the playoffs. Does not make them cheap.

You can type "cheap, cheap, cheap" a 1,000 times today. It does not make it true.

Cheap and stupid are not the same thing. They are stupid, not cheap.

Its just fuzzy math!