X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chernobylwraiths
    • Jan 2003

So, why not Ray Lewis

Is it because he is older and only has a couple/few more years left? Is it because he would cost too much money? Is it because he is from the U, too dirty, thug? Why no talk about getting a great player that would be great for us at a position of need? I think he is still a great player (not what he was) and would help this defense immensely with his intensity alone.

• Mski
    • Mar 2006

Re: So, why not Ray Lewis

i like the idea ALOT, i dont think there's a snowballs chance we'd make a serious offer for him, but i think he still has alot to offer, and perhaps his production has fallen off, not because he has physically, but because he got too comfortable in the ravens system... i think needing to learn a new system will rejuvinate him and he can teach POZ alot about reading formations, and calling audibles... it would mean having to move poz to the outside for a couple years, but the opportunity to learn from one of the best MLB would be priceless
    RIP Tommy D!
    12/25/1978-9/9/2008

If you make something "Idiot-proof", they'll only make better idiots!

Comment

• Thurmal
      • Oct 2005

I would like to see him here too. Say what you want, the guy is a leader, which I'm not sure the Bills have a lot of right now.
      "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• Ickybaluky
        • Jul 2003

You would be overpaying him based on ability at this point in his career, but it would still probably be worth it.

The thing Lewis brings is a good locker room culture. He is a leader, a guy who can have a real impact on a young team. He brings attitude and can make the players around him better.

A signing like that would also change the perception of the Bills with other players around the NFL. He could help attract other players to Buffalo, like Reggie White did with Green Bay when he signed there.

I think it is a great idea.

Comment

• kgun12
          • Jul 2002

Why not! With him here, Lynch wouldn't have to carry a gun. Look at the bright side, we have the makings of a real tough gang! The Buffalo Bouz! Come on!!!
          Last edited by kgun12; 02-27-2009, 07:27 PM.
          Retired Air Traffic Controller
          USAF VETERAN
          DAV

Comment

• TedMock
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by NE39
            You would be overpaying him based on ability at this point in his career, but it would still probably be worth it.

The thing Lewis brings is a good locker room culture. He is a leader, a guy who can have a real impact on a young team. He brings attitude and can make the players around him better.

A signing like that would also change the perception of the Bills with other players around the NFL. He could help attract other players to Buffalo, like Reggie White did with Green Bay when he signed there.

I think it is a great idea.
            You bring up some very good points. It may be worth it. All day I was dead against it for other reasons: I was afraid that he would be exposed. He's not the talent he once was and he wouldn't be surrounded by the talent he was in Baltimore or by the great defensive coaching. He is everything in Baltimore - in the locker room and around town. He commands respect. I felt that may go away with a new team. I envisioned an aging player dying in Buffalo. However, your points about changing the perception of the Bills and attracting other players are great. He would change the locker room culture and our locker room is in desperate need of an attitude adjustment. I'm still not 100% sold on the idea, but your points are certainly compelling. I think he re-signs with Baltimore.

Comment

• Jeff1220
              H to the 12:20
              • Jul 2002

Being here in Baltimore, I get sick of the way they deify Ray Lewis (and Cal Ripkin), but the truth is Ray has been more of a leader for the Ravens than any player that comes to mind for another team (I'd definitely go as far as to say he has been a bigger leader than Jimbo was in Buffalo - I know, it's "blasphemy" but it's true).
              Ray has matured a lot since his younger years and has not even come close to trouble since. He plays with an intensity that seems almost inhuman. He is the exact sort of kick in the pants this team needs to help mold some of the young guys on the team. And his ability is still at a top ILB level.

Unfortunately, Jauron would probably be too scared of him to give it a thought.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                • Jul 2003

Originally posted by TedMock
                I think he re-signs with Baltimore.
                I agree.

Lewis is a polarizing person who a lot of people don't like because of his Miami days. There is little doubt he is past his prime at this point, and is a self-promoter.

However, his leadership skills are very real. There is a reason Baltimore has been so successful developing players with attitude while Lewis was there. Lewis sets the tone in the locker room and in practice. He is a tireless studier of film, and demands his teammates do so as well. He takes young guys under his wing and shows them what it takes to prepare.

You can't understate that. Lewis invites guys back to his house and studies with them. He calls them during off hours and reminds them of what they should be doing. He isn't afraid to get in a guys face when they need to be corrected, but he also is quick to praise them when they deserve it. He makes it easier for coaches to do their job.

Does Lewis have a big ego? Yes, but his positives are just as real. I think he would be a great addition to any team, especially one that has the cap room to overpay him to come in and lead younger players.

I'll give you an example of a similar player, even if not nearly as good as Lewis. When the Pats brought in Bryan Cox in 2001, he was past his prime and a guy hated because of his ego and big mouth (and as Buffalo fans know, his fingers and spitting). However, Cox was great in the locker room, shows guys what they needed to do to win and held them accountable. Even though he hardly played late in the year, he was a key force in turning the Pats around that year.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                  • Jan 2003

If Russ Brandon reads this thread and decides to offer him a contract and lands him, I deserve a bonus!

Comment

• Block "O"
                    lowering the bar with every post
                    • Sep 2008

After OJ do we really need anymore murderers here.

Comment

• Historian
                      2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                      • Dec 2002

Yea, our streets wouldn't be safe during the length of his contract...

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                        • Jan 2003

Ray Lewis had INFORMATION about a murder, he didn't do it.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Historian
                          Yea, our streets wouldn't be safe during the length of his contract...
                          Yeah, I'm sure Orchard Park would turn into the "hood".

Comment

• Jeff1220
                            H to the 12:20
                            • Jul 2002

Say what you want but Ray Lewis is a different guy than he was 10 years ago. He's one of the players that finally realized he had to leave his past and past friends behind him.

Comment

Working...
                            X