PDA

View Full Version : Players that we brought in details

Mitchell55
02-27-2009, 06:45 PM
On the opening day of the NFL's 2009 free agent signing period, the Buffalo Bills made some waves by hosting WR Laveranues Coles and QB Ryan Fitzpatrick at team headquarters, along with other available veterans. The team is also bringing in OG Geoff Hangartner, and there have also been indications that Buffalo is linked to C Matt Birk. Thanks to a well-placed source close to the team, Buffalo Rumblings can exclusively reveal the latest on these visits.

WR Laveranues Coles: Coles has not left Buffalo. The veteran wideout's visit was reportedly a very positive one for both parties. Coles will reportedly remain in Buffalo through this evening, and there is positive energy surrounding the entire situation. A deal does not appear imminent, but Buffalo's interest is very legitimate, and the feeling is mutual from Coles' end. There remains a strong possibility (note the lack of the word "probability", and we're certainly not confirming anything) that an accord can be struck. Coles is, however, receiving strong interest from other franchises as well.

QB Ryan Fitzpatrick: Indications are strong that Fitzpatrick will become Buffalo's backup quarterback at some point over the weekend. His meeting with the team went very well, and it's not anticipated at this time that he'll make any more visits. Still, a signing isn't a certainty, but we are comfortable labeling it a probability.

OG Geoff Hangartner: Though it was reported that Hangartner would be in Buffalo on Friday, his visit with Buffalo will not take place until tomorrow (Saturday) morning. Hangartner is reportedly a very high priority target for the Bills, and the team is expected to do all it can to keep Hangartner from leaving town without a deal. It is unclear exactly which position the team anticipates he would play in Buffalo, but popular opinion is that he's being courted as a center.

C Matt Birk: Buffalo was, in fact, one of the teams that contacted Birk. However, the veteran is seeking a deal similar to the one that Jason Brown signed in St. Louis this afternoon, which is in the vicinity of $7 million per season. Buffalo is not prepared to pay such a contract to any interior lineman, and thus Birk will not be making a trip to Buffalo. Still, depending on the type of money he can get elsewhere, there's a remote possibility that he'll re-consider if his market value drops. The door is not closed, but it's close.

We do not, unfortunately, have any updates on the rest of the team's recent visitors, including OG Kendall Simmons, CB Drayton Florence and LB Jamie Winborn. Keep it locked in to Buffalo Rumblings for all the latest Bills free agency news.

Source: buffalorumblings.com

I took this from BB.com MB

Also, You can say what you want about Winbourns injuries but he did have 100 tackles last year and has played in 44 out of 48 in the last 3 seasons.

Thurmal
02-27-2009, 06:50 PM
Very cool. I don't know how true this "inside info" is, but I'll go ahead and believe it b/c I want to.

jimbohastle51
02-27-2009, 08:12 PM
coles and simmons are the cream of this crop. hangartner is nothing more than a backup to me, he doest even play a 3-4 team in his division and he doesnt face a TRUE NT throught his division, we have 3 pro bowl NTs in our division we face 2 times a year each so i would rather pay birk than have another little project that doest go right like the whole fowler/preston thing.

jimbohastle51
02-27-2009, 08:13 PM
again i do have to say though, coles and simmons would be very key upgrades, simmons makes this line better imediately and is an upgrade over dockery if healthy and coles will instantly make it easier for evans to get open and will help reed be able to play his slot role and just find the soft spots in zone coverage as this is his best attribute.

jpdex12
02-27-2009, 08:18 PM
yeah Simmons is a real upgrade...why did this franchise decide to get rid of Takeo Spikes? Oh yeah, he had a similar injury to what Simmons suffered recently. What direction are we headed in folks? At least one thing is consistant...we attempt to sign and usually sign other team's garbage and expect probowl play out of them.

Tatonka
02-27-2009, 09:48 PM
last time a checked, a linebacker has to run and rely on speed quite a bit more than a guard does.. but what do i know.

Or should Simmons retire now because he runs a 5.4 in the 40 instead of a 5.1?

DynaPaul
02-27-2009, 10:44 PM
Birk is the most important signing we need and we don't want to pay him.