PDA

View Full Version : Now this is funny...ESPN article about Dockery situation

Nighthawk
02-27-2009, 09:19 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3941156

And this is why I have zero faith in this organization. Had a trade in place, but didn't get the paperwork in on time? Nice...very nice!

The Spaz
02-27-2009, 09:22 PM
Who the F were we trying to get from Detroit? My guess would only be a draft pick.

Mitchell55
02-27-2009, 09:22 PM
LOL

camelcowboy
02-27-2009, 09:23 PM
Yeah I just read that. I'm sick! This team will never get better, management needs a change.

Mitchell55
It would suck if it was a 3rd because thats almost a 2nd round pick for Doc.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
Yeah I just read that. I'm sick! This team will never get better, management needs a change.

HAHAHA yeah, that's gonna happen

chernobylwraiths
02-27-2009, 09:24 PM
It makes no sense. He didn't have to be released at all, what the hell do they mean they didn't get the paperwork for the trade.

Nighthawk
02-27-2009, 09:26 PM
It makes no sense. He didn't have to be released at all, what the hell do they mean they didn't get the paperwork for the trade.

The only thing I can think of was that he was due a bonus and they didn't get it done quick enough and had to get him off the roster or pay the bonus.

Lexwhat
02-27-2009, 09:26 PM
WOW.

Joe Fo Sho
02-27-2009, 09:27 PM

The Bills had to release him before he was due a roster bonus. How the frick long does it take to get trade papers in???

chernobylwraiths
02-27-2009, 09:28 PM
The Bills had to release him before he was due a roster bonus. How the frick long does it take to get trade papers in???

They must have been trying to use Darcy Regier's fax machine?

Nighthawk
02-27-2009, 09:30 PM
They must have been trying to use Darcy Regier's fax machine?

:D:

Tatonka
02-27-2009, 09:38 PM
wow. that just makes you so proud to be a bills fan. at least we got a good replacement for him.

oh wait.

Bulldog
02-27-2009, 09:41 PM
And certain people around here wonder why more than a few of us are tired of this act already. I don't care if it was a 5th round selection, it's better than releasing him and getting nothing. Not that the Bills brass would know what to do with the draft pick anyway, but it would have been nice. I'm so fed up with the ineptitude shown by this franchise on a regular basis I could could puke. Good thing Buffalo got the back up QB position solidified though. Somebody shoot me already.

Nighthawk
02-27-2009, 09:43 PM
And certain people around here wonder why more than a few of us are tired of this act already. I don't care if it was a 5th round selection, it's better than releasing him and getting nothing. Not that the Bills brass would know what to do with the draft pick anyway, but it would have been nice. I'm so fed up with the ineptitude shown by this franchise on a regular basis I could could puke. Good thing Buffalo got the back up QB position solidified though. Somebody shoot me already.

Great post! This is EXACTLY the crap that made me the way I am when it comes to this team. I just cannot stand how inept this organization is...

Lexwhat
02-27-2009, 09:44 PM
And certain people around here wonder why more than a few of us are tired of this act already. I don't care if it was a 5th round selection, it's better than releasing him and getting nothing. Not that the Bills brass would know what to do with the draft pick anyway, but it would have been nice.

:bf1:

chernobylwraiths
02-27-2009, 09:48 PM
Really, if you guys hate it so much, why are you here? Just to gloat? Just to rub it in to everyone? I don't understand the mentality of people who just want to complain to everyone how bad the organization is? I swear that some of you get some perverse pleasure from pointing out failure, or where they made mistakes or pointing out that they were right.

Nighthawk
02-27-2009, 09:49 PM
Really, if you guys hate it so much, why are you here? Just to gloat? Just to rub it in to everyone? I don't understand the mentality of people who just want to complain to everyone how bad the organization is? I swear that some of you get some perverse pleasure from pointing out failure, or where they made mistakes or pointing out that they were right.

Because we're fans...not happy fans, but still fans. Where better to get our frustrations out then on a Bills Message Board?

Lexwhat
02-27-2009, 09:51 PM
The only thing I can think of was that he was due a bonus and they didn't get it done quick enough and had to get him off the roster or pay the bonus.

Doesn't seem like it?

After a decent 2007 season, Dockery's performance slid noticeably in 2008 and the Bills made the decision on Thursday to eat a $5.4 million salary cap hit (he would have cost $5.85 million had he stayed with the team), which in turn enabled them to avoid paying Dockery a $1.75 million roster bonus due in a few weeks.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20090227/SPORTS03/902270323/1007/SPORTS

Nighthawk
02-27-2009, 09:52 PM
Doesn't seem like it?

After a decent 2007 season, Dockery's performance slid noticeably in 2008 and the Bills made the decision on Thursday to eat a $5.4 million salary cap hit (he would have cost $5.85 million had he stayed with the team), which in turn enabled them to avoid paying Dockery a $1.75 million roster bonus due in a few weeks.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20090227/SPORTS03/902270323/1007/SPORTS

Hmmm, interesting...

hammerbillsfan
02-27-2009, 09:54 PM
kill me now http://www.talkbuffalosports.com/images/smilies/suicide.gif

Lexwhat
02-27-2009, 09:55 PM
ESPN.com:

...Todd France (Dockery's agent) said he was informed by the Bills that they wanted to go in a different direction, and that Dockery didn't fit the offensive line scheme under assistant Sean Kugler, who took over last year after Jim McNally retired.

Joe Fo Sho
02-27-2009, 10:02 PM
Doesn't seem like it?

Dude, what a friggin joke. Seriously, it's laughable...

Goobylal
02-27-2009, 10:03 PM
What deadline would there have been? It doesn't make sense.

Griz78
02-27-2009, 10:15 PM
Anybody that watched a game last year can clearly see that he was a sink hole and no guard should have ever been paid 7 million avg a year! The guy gave up about 9 sacks and killed us with numerous holding penalties.

historypete
02-27-2009, 10:16 PM
Are you kidding they couldn't get the paperwork done in time. What, was the fax machine broke? Did they run out of pens? So instead of getting at least something for Dockery we get nothing but a cap hit.

This organization never ceases to amaze me. Maybe we'll forget to get our draft pick in on time this year. That would be a hoot. The mismanagement here is absolutely pathetic.

Philagape
02-27-2009, 10:18 PM

It isn't the *****ing about the failure that's excessive. It's the failure.
The question isn't why ***** about it. It's why not?
This is a forum to talk about the team. If what the team does is bad, then why shouldn't the talk reflect that?

bigbry
02-27-2009, 10:23 PM

That's actually my job. And in today's economy I cant stand it when people nose me out.

camelcowboy
02-27-2009, 10:29 PM
It isn't the *****ing about the failure that's excessive. It's the failure.
The question why ***** about it. It's why not?
This is a forum to talk about the team. If what the team does is bad, then why shouldn't the talk reflect that?
I agree, The bills don't deserve any positive thoughts right now. This story is inexcusable.

DynaPaul
02-27-2009, 10:34 PM
Can you say FAIL?

rcd333
02-27-2009, 10:44 PM
the worst part is that nothing will be done about this failure, the organization will just accept it and move on.

Marvelous
02-27-2009, 11:41 PM
Oye, do we know that this is a scrw^, or mistake on our FO? I dunno why i seem to defend us.

---Lets get Jabari signed! IMO our best shutdown CB. Atleast until Leodis develops..Not like we don't have faith in his skills & not like we are cap strapped/cash -to- cap etc...

SabreEleven
02-28-2009, 12:13 AM

What have they done right?

Michael82
02-28-2009, 12:27 AM
What the **** is wrong with this organization!?!? PATHETIC! :mad:

:puke:

Nighthawk
02-28-2009, 07:07 AM
What the **** is wrong with this organization!?!? PATHETIC! :mad:

:puke:

I know Mikey, but I don't have the time or space to write all of the things that are wrong with this organization.

ddaryl
02-28-2009, 07:18 AM
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha etc......

chernobylwraiths
02-28-2009, 07:21 AM
What have they done right?

Well sir, it depends on what you think is right?

Head Coach? No
Trade for Stroud? Yes
Trade up for McCargo? No
Draft Marshawn? Yes... and No

jmb1099
02-28-2009, 07:23 AM
If this in fact true then heads should roll and considering the management debacle in recent days I'm inclined to believe it. However, ESPN usually gets more wrong then right this time of year.

Luisito23
02-28-2009, 07:24 AM
It's turned from us being funny to just plain sorry...And it's been like that for over a decade...

Ickybaluky
02-28-2009, 07:54 AM
The Washington Post has more detail (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2009/02/dockery_agrees_to_deal_with_sk.html) on this story:

How Dockery came to it the free-agent market is a bit odd.

Buffalo and Detroit had agreed to a trade Thursday with Detroit willing to pick up the rest of Dockery's 7-year, $49 million contract and to guarantee the 2009 and 2010 portions of that deal. However, the Bills failed to file the necessary paperwork with the NFL Management Council by the 4 p.m. dealine, according to a league source, and, rather than pay Dockery $4.5 million for this year, the Bills allowed him to become a free agent.

This part shows it is good to be Derrick Dockery:

With this new deal, Dockery will have pocketed $27 million in guaranteed money over three years, making him among the highest-paid linemen in the league over that span.

Dr. Lecter
02-28-2009, 08:06 AM
Hmmm, interesting...
That part is wrong. The bonus was due on Friday.

Regardless, the inability to complete paperwork on time is hardly surprising.

Nighthawk
02-28-2009, 08:09 AM
That part is wrong. The bonus was due on Friday.

Ok, so it is what I thought it was. I still don't understand the entire situation as it is reported to have gone down? Wierd.

Dr. Lecter
02-28-2009, 08:26 AM
Ok, so it is what I thought it was. I still don't understand the entire situation as it is reported to have gone down? Wierd.

I understand the entire situation - Our marketing guy ****ed up again. Not surprising. I understand getting rid of Dockery. They save cap room, save cash to cap room and get rid of a crap player.

But how can they not get paperwork like this filed in time? Unless they were waiting for a signature from Detroit, it is inexcusable. But not surprising. Even a 7th round pick is better than nothing.

plundar
02-28-2009, 10:47 AM
This is all just Pre-lube for the Bills to leave. Ralph is killing the team from the inside to save money.

-People stop buying season tickets
-Team doesn't appear viable in the area
-The team moves

Tatonka
02-28-2009, 11:01 AM
well he is doing a great job of killing my insides.

Saratoga Slim
02-28-2009, 11:11 AM
If you actually read the article carefully instead of fast and loose, it never once says that a trade was agreed upon. Rather, it says:

"there had been interest by the Detroit Lions (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=det) in acquiring him in a trade.Dockery flew to Detroit Friday for a visit and a physical. The Bills didn't get the paperwork in on a trade, so he was officially released Friday."

Nowhere there does it say that a trade was agreed upon. I read it that the Bills had to release Dockery before the start of free agency, and because the Bills and Lions couldn't get a deal done in time, the Bills had to release him. It may very well have been that the Lions inquired very late in the game, and knew that he was likely to be released, so ended up not making an offer in the hope that they could quickly snag him in FA. Thus the Bills didn't get the paperwork in because there was no paperwork to get in. Bottom line is this article does not provide enough information, and is worded too imprecisely, to render a verdict on the FO's handling of the situation.

Ickybaluky
02-28-2009, 11:23 AM
Nowhere there does it say that a trade was agreed upon. I read it that the Bills had to release Dockery before the start of free agency, and because the Bills and Lions couldn't get a deal done in time, the Bills had to release him. It may very well have been that the Lions inquired very late in the game, and knew that he was likely to be released, so ended up not making an offer in the hope that they could quickly snag him in FA. Thus the Bills didn't get the paperwork in because there was no paperwork to get in. Bottom line is this article does not provide enough information, and is worded too imprecisely, to render a verdict on the FO's handling of the situation.

The Washington Post article is pretty clear:

LINK (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2009/02/dockery_agrees_to_deal_with_sk.html)

Buffalo and Detroit had agreed to a trade Thursday with Detroit willing to pick up the rest of Dockery's 7-year, $49 million contract and to guarantee the 2009 and 2010 portions of that deal. However, the Bills failed to file the necessary paperwork with the NFL Management Council by the 4 p.m. dealine, according to a league source, and, rather than pay Dockery $4.5 million for this year, the Bills allowed him to become a free agent.

Ickybaluky
02-28-2009, 11:25 AM
The Detroit papers have the same story:

LINK (http://www.freep.com/article/20090227/SPORTS01/90227027/1048/sports/Lions+met+with+Nate+Washington++Maurice+Morris++Derrick+Dockery)

But the Lions not only lost out on Dockery in free agency, they lost out on him in a trade. They tried to work out a deal with Buffalo before the Bills cut him, but they couldn’t complete it because the Bills didn’t complete some paperwork on time. The issue is related to a roster bonus.

chernobylwraiths
02-28-2009, 12:20 PM
How about THIS?!

If you're looking for evidence that things have changed in Detroit, keep looking.

Though a tango such as the one described below requires two teams, the fact that one of them was the Lions really isn't much of a surprise.

According to the Washington Post, the Lions were poised pull off a trade for guard Derrick Dockery, but the paperwork didn't get filed in time.

That said, the account provided by Jason La Canfora of the Post is a bit confusing. He writes that the paperwork didn't make it to the Management Council before 4:00 p.m. EST on Thursday, February 26. But since no trades can happen until the first day of the league year (this year, February 27), nothing could have been done on the 26th.

Another confusing fact is that word of Dockery's release by the Bills broke well before the 4:00 p.m. EST on Thursday.

from the same link of the Cassel trade to KC

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/real_scouts/

Saratoga Slim
02-28-2009, 12:25 PM
The Washington Post article is pretty clear:

LINK (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2009/02/dockery_agrees_to_deal_with_sk.html)

Gotcha. I hadn't seen the Wash Post article, thanks.

I really hope that as the full details emerge, there's a good explanation. The Bills have executed trades before, I find it hard to believe that they'd not know how to process one.

Nighthawk
02-28-2009, 12:28 PM
I understand the entire situation - Our marketing guy ****ed up again. Not surprising. I understand getting rid of Dockery. They save cap room, save cash to cap room and get rid of a crap player.

But how can they not get paperwork like this filed in time? Unless they were waiting for a signature from Detroit, it is inexcusable. But not surprising. Even a 7th round pick is better than nothing.

Agreed...if I'm in control of this organization, it would be time for somebody to lose their job. Anything less is proof that this organization is really not about winning.

chernobylwraiths
02-28-2009, 01:32 PM
What? Nobody wants to look at my link?

Nighthawk
02-28-2009, 01:39 PM
What? Nobody wants to look at my link?

No...:refuse: