PDA

View Full Version : I liked the Fitzpatrick signing.

BillsWin
02-27-2009, 11:21 PM
Anyone else? We filled the need for a backup QB who is at least competent enough to execute a game plan.

Now, if it is the only thing we do, or biggest thing we do... That's when I panic.

jimbohastle51
02-27-2009, 11:26 PM
one thing is for sure, regardless of what the fans think it is obvious they are ok with fielding basically the same team as last year minus doc, and greer. fitz at most may get a couple snaps. and no rookie DE is coming in and going to fix our pass rush. but hey we did start 5-0 didnt we?

BillsWin
02-27-2009, 11:29 PM
I am really disappointed with the lack of movement. I said it before and I'll say it again. The Bills needed to be aggressive in free agency to set up the draft and possibly help make a playoff run, but unless they pull off a major trade AND sign a C and G, I am opted to anoint this as a total set back.

rcd333
02-27-2009, 11:30 PM
I think fitz will start atleast one game this year, like it or not edwards has proved he cant play a full season without gettign injured

Marvelous
02-27-2009, 11:35 PM
I really like this move. & i admit i am taken by total surprise..

-The btching & moaning i just read in several threads about how much bigger his is then mine/ours etc is really annoying. Is this something with my aging & the fanbase being so young? or is it just,just.

Marvelous
02-27-2009, 11:37 PM
oye, missed a sentence---
--I agree with RCD333, that our #2/Fitz will start atleast 1 game. Esp as we enter the winter.
--::cool lil nickname " Fitz "

jimbohastle51
02-27-2009, 11:43 PM
I am really disappointed with the lack of movement. I said it before and I'll say it again. The Bills needed to be aggressive in free agency to set up the draft and possibly help make a playoff run, but unless they pull off a major trade AND sign a C and G, I am opted to anoint this as a total set back.

have to agree, you cant take a team that had the second half we did and just rely on a single draft class to save the coaches job and get us to the playoffs. you would think jauron would really be pushing here. and even if we bring a hangartner in, he has never been a full time center against a prodominanty 3-4 schedule. there is work to be done, but i have gotten most of my frustrations out on this board today, and there is alot of free agents left, alot of good ones, lets see what happens over the next 2-3 days, but fitz and a backup center with potential wont fix anything.

Block "O"
02-27-2009, 11:47 PM
How long until a QB controversy emerges? :D:

New Ro's Greatest
02-27-2009, 11:47 PM
one thing is for sure, regardless of what the fans think it is obvious they are ok with fielding basically the same team as last year minus doc, and greer. fitz at most may get a couple snaps. and no rookie DE is coming in and going to fix our pass rush. but hey we did start 5-0 didnt we?

We started 4-0 and why can't a rookie come in here and solve the pass rush problem? I think a rookie DE can come in here and get 8 sacks don't you think? 4 sacks was the high last year so if we get double that from a rook i would consider that a successful year for him. GO BILLS:D:

SeatownBillsFan21
02-27-2009, 11:56 PM
Thought this was funny...

There was talk of the Bills possibly bringing in a veteran to challenge Trent Edwards, but this signing puts an end to that talk. The noodle-armed Fitzpatrick is 100 percent backup material and is no threat to Edwards' job.

he said noodle-armed... lol

jimbohastle51
02-28-2009, 12:07 AM
We started 4-0 and why can't a rookie come in here and solve the pass rush problem? I think a rookie DE can come in here and get 8 sacks don't you think? 4 sacks was the high last year so if we get double that from a rook i would consider that a successful year for him. GO BILLS:D:

what rookie DE can get 8 sacks in a 4-3 in this draft?? make sure you have your facts straight when you answer this and dont just look at mcshay and kipers big boards. there is maybe 1 pass rusher than can possibly come in and start IN A 4-3 and be dominant enough (and if your getting 8 sacks as a rookie you are dominant) to pull that off and he'll be gone before the top 10 are done, you have to put into consideration that they wont be standing up and rushing, they will have to do it putting they're hand down against jake long(pro bowler) and justin smiley, matt light(pro bowler) and logan mankins, and debrick fergueson and alan faneca(pro bowler). its hard to be a pass rusher in our division, esecially a rookie one.

Michael82
02-28-2009, 12:16 AM
I like it too. But for this to be the only signing today, especially when you look at what the rest of our division did... It's VERY depressing! :( :sigh:

justasportsfan
02-28-2009, 01:29 AM
you guys are trusting Fitzpatrick to beat the Pats ,Fins and Jets should anything happen to Trent?

BillsWin
02-28-2009, 01:30 AM
VERY depressing indeed.

justasportsfan
02-28-2009, 01:33 AM
then again, anything better than Fitz would end up starting over trent.

Yikes. we're screwed. this guy has less experience than JP. What makes Dick think Fitz has seen enough defenses thrown at him to overcome teams in the AFCE? He doesn't have enough experience to mentor trent. I guess Turk was worried any qb that has experience would tell him to go fly a kite

BuffaloRanger
02-28-2009, 02:06 AM
So much for a veteran backup that can take Trent under his wing and provide him guidance based on his years of experience. Not that there were too many guys like that out there.

Dropping JP and adding Fitz is like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

I'd rather have Hamden as the backup. At least he already knows the offense.

Jan Reimers
02-28-2009, 04:45 AM
He will probably be OK, but it looks like we took about the cheapest and most avaialable option, which will probably be the hallmark of our remaining FA signings.

Now on to our many other holes, including the ones created by losing Greer and Crowell, releasing Dockery and Royal, and all the ones we already had.

acehole
02-28-2009, 08:18 AM
I brought this guy up a while back. Perfect for this system. Accurate short range and he has a better arm then advertised...and he will start at some piont and win the job outright.

nateodoms'bff
02-28-2009, 08:40 AM
Guys, he had two games where he threw under 100 yards last season. He was throwing to Housh AND Chad Johnson.

You can't tell me that he is a great fit... well, i guess he is actually. Considering our offense was horrendous last season, and will continue to be as long as Turk Schonert is around.

I don't trust Ryan Fitzpatrick to start a game against a college team, let alone any professional team in the NFL or CFL or AFL. This guy is a joke, and its an insult that he was the first free agent signing in a year where "the talent on this team needs to get better".

You can post whatever stats you want about Edwards and Fitzpatrick all day, supporting the theory that they are the same. The truth of the matter is that they are worlds apart.

Trent has superior mechanics, accuracy, arm strength, mobility, pocket pressence, and ability to read defenses.

Fitzpatrick showed an inability to progress at all last season, and played worse all season, than JP did in the 3 games.

TigerJ
02-28-2009, 08:51 AM
Fitz is a sensible signing. He's never going to be a fulltime starter in this league, but he has the qualities to be a solid backup, including enough starts under his belt not to be jittery when he is under center. Plus he's cheap. I don't mean that in a derogatory sense. You don't want to spend big bucks on a backup QB. There are too many other places you have to spend it.

acehole
02-28-2009, 08:53 AM
Trent still managed 7-9 we need new blood.As good as you people say trent is he has yet to produce anything better then the last guy and has not managed to stay heathy. Fitz is just enough to push him but not to much to break his frail confidence. Who know with some neww muscley arms he might rivel the great Trent Edwards someday...

Guys, he had two games where he threw under 100 yards last season. He was throwing to Housh AND Chad Johnson.

You can't tell me that he is a great fit... well, i guess he is actually. Considering our offense was horrendous last season, and will continue to be as long as Turk Schonert is around.

I don't trust Ryan Fitzpatrick to start a game against a college team, let alone any professional team in the NFL or CFL or AFL. This guy is a joke, and its an insult that he was the first free agent signing in a year where "the talent on this team needs to get better".

You can post whatever stats you want about Edwards and Fitzpatrick all day, supporting the theory that they are the same. The truth of the matter is that they are worlds apart.

Trent has superior mechanics, accuracy, arm strength, mobility, pocket pressence, and ability to read defenses.

Fitzpatrick showed an inability to progress at all last season, and played worse all season, than JP did in the 3 games.

nateodoms'bff
02-28-2009, 09:06 AM
What exactly are you basing this on?

Trent was in his 2nd year, 1st as a starter, in a terrible offensive scheme, one that doesn't match his abilities at all.

The reason Bill Walsh recommended he be drafted, is because he is a perfect fit for the West Coast offense, not some crappy version of the spread.

He has all of the attributes that are needed for the west coast. Just like this team is built for the west coast offense, but is forced to play in some nonsense system that is easily stifled by zone coverage.

To say that Trent has not produced more than the last guy, is just ignorant.

JP had 5 seasons with the Bills, and Trent already has surpassed his win total, the only stat that really matters.

To say that Fitzpatrick will somehow push Trent Edwards, is lunacy. Ryan Fitzpatrick is a joke of a Quarterback. Does anyone really think that he would be a better fit in this offense than Trent? Honestly, think about that. Watch his games from last season, and you will see just how terrible he is. He has no touch, cannot read a defense, and has limited arm strength. There were so many plays where he under threw his receiver, that it was almost unwatchable at times (not that Bengals games are ever watchable). There is a reason that a capable back-up who can push a starter, was not even pursued by the Bengals, the team he started for last season.

Give me a break, please. Don't try an justify a horrid signing, as if its going to make Trent a better player. Because when you look at all of the facts, you'll see that it actually puts this team at a disadvantage.

unpaid_bills
02-28-2009, 09:18 AM
i personally think they should have signed an older veteran to help mentor Edwards. Fitzpatrick will be serviceable at least he has some game experience. They have some good role players we need some more IMPACT players to get to the next level.

acehole
02-28-2009, 09:25 AM
Silly if win are all that mater then you proved my piont.

Trent and JP played for the same..jp was hurt his first year. 7-9 is still 7-9 no mater how you look at 7-9 it is no better then 7-9 Bill walsh can not chang 7-9...no better then the last guy.

We can only hope TJ will follow Ryan.

What exactly are you basing this on?

Trent was in his 2nd year, 1st as a starter, in a terrible offensive scheme, one that doesn't match his abilities at all.

The reason Bill Walsh recommended he be drafted, is because he is a perfect fit for the West Coast offense, not some crappy version of the spread.

He has all of the attributes that are needed for the west coast. Just like this team is built for the west coast offense, but is forced to play in some nonsense system that is easily stifled by zone coverage.

To say that Trent has not produced more than the last guy, is just ignorant.

JP had 5 seasons with the Bills, and Trent already has surpassed his win total, the only stat that really matters.

To say that Fitzpatrick will somehow push Trent Edwards, is lunacy. Ryan Fitzpatrick is a joke of a Quarterback. Does anyone really think that he would be a better fit in this offense than Trent? Honestly, think about that. Watch his games from last season, and you will see just how terrible he is. He has no touch, cannot read a defense, and has limited arm strength. There were so many plays where he under threw his receiver, that it was almost unwatchable at times (not that Bengals games are ever watchable). There is a reason that a capable back-up who can push a starter, was not even pursued by the Bengals, the team he started for last season.

Give me a break, please. Don't try an justify a horrid signing, as if its going to make Trent a better player. Because when you look at all of the facts, you'll see that it actually puts this team at a disadvantage.

Historian
02-28-2009, 09:40 AM
I'm okay with this signing.

If the Bills didn't change coaches/philosophies...I don't expect to see much of a stir in FA.

The 50th jersey patch sure is nice though!

nateodoms'bff
02-28-2009, 10:22 AM
Silly if win are all that mater then you proved my piont.

Trent and JP played for the same..jp was hurt his first year. 7-9 is still 7-9 no mater how you look at 7-9 it is no better then 7-9 Bill walsh can not chang 7-9...no better then the last guy.

We can only hope TJ will follow Ryan.

I think you misunderstood me.

Career wins, not in a single season.

Trent has been playing for less than half the time as JP, and has already won more games.

This isn't about JP and Trent... it's about the fact that the front office actually put the offense in a worse position than they were in with this signing.

You don't get better as a team, by adding players that can't play well at the pro level. Fitzpatrick proved that last year.

psubills62
02-28-2009, 10:44 AM
I don't really like Fitzpatrick at all...every time I saw him, he was terrible and didn't move the offense one iota. I'd much rather have had Boller or Kitna. Oh well...

nateodoms'bff
02-28-2009, 11:30 AM
Boller would have worked, at least he showed an ability to move that offense.

Kitna was who I really wanted. He could have taught Trent how to throw the ball with confidence, which is what he needs.

Nighthawk
02-28-2009, 12:44 PM

The only thing I'm OK with is the fact that if they put basically the same team on the field next year then Dickey will be gone. His only hope was to vastly improve the talent level on this team and so far, that doesn't seem to be the plan. There is zero chance that the coaching is good enough on this team to overcome a lack of talent.

BillsWin
02-28-2009, 12:59 PM
Im a big Cowher supporter. maybe it was a sign that the Jets missed out on Cowher as did the Browns and maybe if Dick is gone, we can get a good HC. no clue. we can only hope.

justasportsfan
02-28-2009, 02:44 PM
Now we have two unproven qb's running the O in the AFCE . There should be a clause somewhere that the pats,fins and jets should not run the 3-4 D against us as a handicap.

Trent" Hey Fitz, how do you think I should attack this 3-4"
Fitz" thats what a 3-4 looks like?"

nateodoms'bff
02-28-2009, 03:29 PM
Now we have two unproven qb's running the O in the AFCE . There should be a clause somewhere that the pats,fins and jets should not run the 3-4 D against us as a handicap.

Trent" Hey Fitz, how do you think I should attack this 3-4"
Fitz" thats what a 3-4 looks like?"

I laughed.

Such a terrible signing.

Luisito23
02-28-2009, 03:43 PM
Kitna was who I really wanted. He could have taught Trent how to throw the ball with confidence, which is what he needs.

I still can't believe we could've had him, and a draft pick...

nateodoms'bff
02-28-2009, 03:51 PM
Someone made a good point in another thread, and it wasn't something that I considered.

Kitna probably wants to be a starter, and as soon as Trent had a bad game, every one would be screaming for Kitna. Jauron and Company don't need that kind of distraction, and frankly, neither does Trent.

Even though he is an infinitely better QB than ****zpatrick, I can at least see some of the logic.

I still would rather have Kitna