PDA

View Full Version : BillsZone Exclusive: Free Agency and the Bills

shelby
02-28-2009, 01:23 PM
Our own jimbohastle51 breaks down what may be going on at OBD. Enjoy!

Since 12:01 AM on Friday morning, the Buffalo Bills have been one of the "less flashy" free agency spending teams. It has nothing to do with their cash to cap philosophy, or their smaller region; in fact, it has more to do with their ability to identify a need, and not overspend at for it.

To start, let's look at the first free agent signing, Ryan Fitzpatrick. At first, you see a Harvard grad, and a Yale grad coach, and if you're a Bills fan, you assume that Jauron is trying to start his own Ivy League team. If you really examine the signing, however, as i did (after being one of the people upset that he was our "vet" backup,) it really is solid. First, the Bills identified who would be the most HELPFUL getting Trent through his routine and studying film and preparation. This guy is a Harvard grad, and has drawn praise from not only Carson Palmer and Marc Bulger, but from Marvin Lewis and his coaches at St. Louis, as well. His strength isn't playing on Sunday, as much as it is his preparation, which is what Buffalo was looking for. Buffalo wanted a QB to come in and understand that he is the backup, and won't be competing for a starting job unless an injury to Trent were to occur. With the available free agent QB's out there, I think the Bills did pretty
well. Seriously, would any of you want Rex Grossman helping Trent get ready for Sundays??

Next, I would like to take a look at what the Bills' free agency plan has been so far. Judging by who the Bills have been linked to through various reports, I think it is safe to say Buffalo wanted to add veteran depth to the 0-line, as well as a veteran receiver to help the young corps. There are some very good veteran LBs still available, as well. Laverneus Coles is a reliable receiver who stays healthy, and he is used to the weather the northeast brings. Of available veteran receivers, he is one of the more "premier" WR's available, but if ole' Housh-mazude (NFL channel commercial analogy) hasn't been able to get a contract he likes at his age, then a receiver 3 inches shorter with lesser numbers can be expected to be had for a reasonable offer.

I think they should take a good look at Kendall Simmons, who our team has been linked to. Simmons is a run blocking stud through his tenure at Pittsburgh, and also was a former first round draft pick out of Auburn. He did suffer an Achilles injury that took him out last year. The good thing about Simmons is, he is high risk but high reward. If he comes back reasonably healthy, he is an instant upgrade at LG over what Dockery provided over the last 2 years in the running game. If his injury plagues him, it is almost a guarantee that he wouldn't be expecting top G money.

more..... (http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2009/02/28/free_agency_and_the_bills.php)