PDA

View Full Version : Another Trade Idea... Nothing else to do while we wait...

Mahdi
02-28-2009, 02:06 PM
How would everyone feel about trading our first round pick for Shawne Merriman. There were rumors before that the Chargers wanted to trade him before he was due his big contract next year. At 6'4 272 Merriman can be used in so many ways on the Bills D. He could play with his hand down as a DE or we can use different defensive alignments and have him rush like an OLB in a 3-4 on passing downs.

Just a thought...

jimbohastle51
02-28-2009, 02:09 PM
only bad thing about this is that he is an outside rusher in a 3-4 defense. not too sure he could drop in coverage as much as needed in a 4-3, but it would be worth looking into, especially with him coming off such a serious injury and may not take a first to get him either..

Mahdi
02-28-2009, 02:13 PM
Merriman can do pretty much anything you ask him to do. He is excellent in space actually. He drops into coverage all the time in San Diego. In Buffalo though I would expect him to mainly be used as a DE on 1st and 2nd down and as a rush OLB on passing downs.

nateodoms'bff
02-28-2009, 03:40 PM
Merriman can do pretty much anything you ask him to do. He is excellent in space actually. He drops into coverage all the time in San Diego. In Buffalo though I would expect him to mainly be used as a DE on 1st and 2nd down and as a rush OLB on passing downs.

No he can't anything you ask him to.

Besides, why would the Bills trade for a guy with a bum knee, that they could get for less money, and is injury free?

There are at least 3 guys that are going to be equal to, or better than Merriman in the 3-4.

And the transition from OLB in a 3-4, to DE in 4-3 is very difficult. Keep in mind, Merriman would be giving up 80-100 lbs against O-Line man, and not have anyone to eat up the blocks in front of him. That's why he is so successful as a pass rusher. He couldn't get past a one on one block if he was a DE. He doesn't have the skills from the ground, he is a stand up rusher.

I could go on and on.

The Juice Is Loose
02-28-2009, 03:42 PM
he was only good on steroids

he got busted, got off them, and subsequently sucked and got injured.

he's a flash in the pan nobody. never going to amount to squat.

Mitchell55
02-28-2009, 03:44 PM
Heres one. 2nd this year, 2nd next year, and 4th this year for Owen Daniels.

Marvelous
02-28-2009, 06:17 PM
ima thinking that he is a "character" liability & not The Ralphs type...But stranger wants have been posted...IMO the 11th pick is very very valuable...

Mahdi
02-28-2009, 06:22 PM
No he can't anything you ask him to.

Besides, why would the Bills trade for a guy with a bum knee, that they could get for less money, and is injury free?

There are at least 3 guys that are going to be equal to, or better than Merriman in the 3-4.

And the transition from OLB in a 3-4, to DE in 4-3 is very difficult. Keep in mind, Merriman would be giving up 80-100 lbs against O-Line man, and not have anyone to eat up the blocks in front of him. That's why he is so successful as a pass rusher. He couldn't get past a one on one block if he was a DE. He doesn't have the skills from the ground, he is a stand up rusher.

I could go on and on.
You realize Merriman is 6'4 272..... Schobel is 6'4 245... Freeney is 6'1 269... Umenyiora is 6'3 261... What makes you think Merriman can't hold up as a DE? He is a physical freak.

People put way too much emphasis on the idea that a 3-4 OLB cant play DE or the opposite. Guys like Ware, Merriman, Peppers, Philips, Adalius Thomas,etc. can all play both DE or OLB and BTW they DO with their teams. Most 3-4 teams line up in 4-3 alignments as well and the players I mentioned are used as DEs when they do.