PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Moves

T-Long
03-01-2009, 08:14 AM
Do things get done on Sundays or do they usually wait until Monday to announce any more signings. I just figured I'd ask so I don't waste my time refreshing here all day

shelby
03-01-2009, 08:18 AM
NE39 just posted a link about Coles...he's supposed to decide between Buffalo and Miami today.

:D

X-Era
03-01-2009, 08:23 AM
NE39 just posted a link about Coles...he's supposed to decide between Buffalo and Miami today.

:D

I dont think were out of this one the way many think we are.

Coles has never played for Sparano. They also run the wildcat quite a bit and Coles wouldnt get much action that way.

Yes, Pennington helps the situation.

But, Chads not the one making the contracts and I bet the Fins arent offering as much or he would have already signed with them.

If we lose this one, we will survive... It just keeps my Housh dream alive.

psubills62
03-01-2009, 08:25 AM
I dont think were out of this one the way many think we are.

Coles has never played for Sparano. They also run the wildcat quite a bit and Coles wouldnt get much action that way.

Yes, Pennington helps the situation.

But, Chads not the one making the contracts and I bet the Fins arent offering as much or he would have already signed with them.

If we lose this one, we will survive... It just keeps my Housh dream alive.

The thing is...how much interest has Miami shown in Coles? From what I've heard, it sounds like we're offering more money, or at least we're willing to pay more money than Miami is. I haven't heard anything about Coles visiting them or anything.

So at this point, I'd have to imagine we have a decent shot. But I'm not getting my hopes up - any time players are "deciding between" any teams that include the Bills, they almost never decide on the Bills.

Bert102176
the Bills never do anything on sundays, heck look back at the games that proves I'm right

realdealryan
Why not? It's bargain time - right up our FO's alley.

Ickybaluky
03-01-2009, 08:35 AM
The thing is...how much interest has Miami shown in Coles? From what I've heard, it sounds like we're offering more money, or at least we're willing to pay more money than Miami is. I haven't heard anything about Coles visiting them or anything.

So at this point, I'd have to imagine we have a decent shot. But I'm not getting my hopes up - any time players are "deciding between" any teams that include the Bills, they almost never decide on the Bills.

They don't have to talk to him. Parcells knows him, he even drafted him. He doesn't need a visit.

They don't even need to talk to Coles. They can call the agent and give him the parameters they are willing to pay. Coles' visit is to establish his market. If Buffalo offers more money, that gives him leverage.

Miami makes a ton of sense for Coles. He is from there. He went to Florida State. He still lives there in the offseason. Parcells drafted him and Pennington is his QB.

However, Miami may not be willing to to pay him his value. They may need to spend their resources elsewhere. Parcells has always preferred to draft WR and develop them, like he did with Keyshawn Johnson and Coles. I can't think of any big money contracts he offered WR (Terrell Owens was Jerry Jones' deal).

If Buffalo wants Coles, they need to offer him a contract that shows that. Coles is still a good player, and he would help Edwards. He doesn't get deep, but he is real quick and gets open. He is smart and can find holes in the defense. He knows how to read coverage and has great hands.

Buffalo needs to upgrade on offense, they have struggled scoring points for years. They run the ball OK, but you throw to score in the NFL. Coles would compliment Evans and make Josh Reed more effective in the slot. He could come in for a couple years and improve the team while they develop another young WR. I think he makes a ton of sense.

shelby
03-01-2009, 08:40 AM
:goodpost:

BlackMetalNinja
03-01-2009, 08:42 AM
It's quite sad when the New England fan around here makes way more sense talking about our team than half of the Bills fans. Good Post NE

don137
03-01-2009, 08:50 AM
This just shows how Buffalo just does not get better year in and year out. A team that is one year removed from a 1-15 record has more leverage and bargaining power than the Bills resulting in Buffalo ponying up more cash to get a player over a team one year removed from 1-15.

Patti120
03-01-2009, 09:03 AM
I would be delighted if he decided to come here but based upon his past and connections with players and management in Miami I'd say there is no way in hell that he ends up in Buffalo. It wouldn't surprise me if he even took less to go to Miami based upon the above and the fact that they were able to turn things around in such a drastic way last season. Plus the weather is a lot nicer down there. Hope I'm wrong but I guess we will have to wait and see.

TonyBlack
03-01-2009, 09:15 AM
coles 2 bills? hello no, we already have two decent wr, lee evans and steve johnson...steve need to develop but he has a bright future tho.

nateodoms'bff
03-01-2009, 09:24 AM
Coles doesn't compliment Evans and Reed, when he is the same player. A complimentary veteran is Amani Toomer, someone that brings a skill set that the other player is lacking.

Coles, Evans and Reed are all the same player. Small, no seperation, limited speed (except for evans). Coles' biggest asset WAS his speed, however, in this offense, you need to be able to get seperation from the zones, and exploit the seams in the coverage. That is something that NONE of the receivers on this team are capable of.

Reed is a nice slot receiver. He can get open within the first 5 yards off the line, and move the chains. He plays well under the coverage. Beyond that, he disappears as his size becomes a detriment. Evans' strength is his speed. In order for his speed to be an advantage, he needs to be in one on one coverage. NO TEAM COVERS HIM ONE ON ONE. Coles is the same size as Evans and Reed, and has diminshing skills. His 70 catches are AVERAGE, and his 854 yards, is dismal. His contract is going to have to be so high, that none of the young "talent" will even smell the field, especially with Roscoe Parrish on this team.

Signing Coles will only show that this Front Office has no idea what kind of a team they are building, or what kind of players they want. They draft WR's with size, then sign little guy receivers that don't fit the system.

A perfect example of receivers that accel in the spread are Fitzgerald, Boldin and Breaston. All of them have Size Speed and Hands. You need those three things to exploit the zone and gain an advantage over the corners, and draw match ups with the LB's.

This is a terrible idea. I know its exciting because he is a "name talent". But its going to set the Bills back. I would rather them sign no one, then sign Coles.