PDA

View Full Version : New Buffalo Bills QB Fitzpatrick doesn't fit bill as experienced veteran

shelby
03-01-2009, 08:43 AM
When the Buffalo Bills said they were looking for an experienced veteran to back up quarterback Trent Edwards, most of us were thinking someone like Jeff Garcia, Brian Griese, Jon Kitna or even Gus Frerotte.
Ryan Fitzpatrick didn't come to mind, and for good reason. Fitzpatrick (born Nov. 24, 1982) is less than one year older than Edwards (Oct. 30, 1983) and has played in five fewer NFL games (19 to 24).
Bills Chief Operating Officer Russ Brandon had this to say about Fitzpatrick: "Over the course of Ryan's career, he has been a very productive player."
Brandon's standards aren't very high.
Fitzpatrick has a 4-10-1 record as an NFL starter with St. Louis (0-3) and Cincinnati (4-7-1 last season).
In his 19 NFL games, he was 297 of 507 (.586) for 2,682 yards, with 12 TD passes, 17 interceptions and a 66.9 pass rating.
He has good mobility but has been sacked 47 times (including a total of 15 times in games against Philadelphia and Pittsburgh last season).
With Cincinnati last season, he was 221 of 372 (.594) for 1,905 yards (158.8 yards per game), with a poor 5.1 yards per attempt, eight TD passes, nine interceptions and 38 sacks. His passer rating was 70.0.
One of Fitzpatrick's top assets is intelligence. He scored 48 out of 50 on his Wonderlic test as an NFL rookie in 2005.
The Bills are pretty smart too, at least in terms of signing a No. 2 QB who is no threat to challenge Edwards for No. 1. But the addition of Fitzpatrick doesn't inspire much confidence if the thus far injury-prone Edwards misses significant playing time.
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20090301/SPORTS0101/903010324/1007/SPORTS

Nighthawk
03-01-2009, 08:44 AM
Exactly...didn't understand this signing...doesn't fit what they said they need. This organization is so @ss backwards that nothing surprises me anymore.

nateodoms'bff
03-01-2009, 09:02 AM
It all about that Wonderlic score.

Jauron and Company put so much emphasis on "football" smarts, not football skills.

I like the Hangartner move, but this is just a blatant slap in the face of the fans.

The Juice Is Loose
03-01-2009, 09:14 AM
is it a rule you have to be dumb to post?

they don't want a guy who's going to challenge for the starting spot.

they are riding trent out. if trent gets hurt, get ready to draft first.

ha, if trent doesn't get hurt, get ready to draft 4th.

this team is a joke, it doesn't matter. none of those old farts want to play in crap weather as a backup.

nateodoms'bff
03-01-2009, 09:35 AM
is it a rule you have to be dumb to post?

they don't want a guy who's going to challenge for the starting spot.

they are riding trent out. if trent gets hurt, get ready to draft first.

ha, if trent doesn't get hurt, get ready to draft 4th.

this team is a joke, it doesn't matter. none of those old farts want to play in crap weather as a backup.

Who are you attacking?

I don't get it? I'm new here so maybe I'm missing something, but everybody that posted AGREED WITH THE ARTICLE.

And then so did you. It's a smart move in the sense that they wanted to bring in a guy that wouldn't be a danger to Trent's starting position. In the sense that when he gets injured, they don't want to deal with a QB controversy. It makes sense in the very warped mindset that they seem to have at OBD.

If you are so hostile to people here, why do post?

shelby
03-01-2009, 09:41 AM
Agreed....no need to attack others. You agreed to our TOS when you signed up. i suggest you follow them.

trapezeus
03-01-2009, 11:01 PM
fitzpatrick really is going for excellence, isn't he. going from st louis, to the bengals, to the bills. next contract....the lions and a short stint with the cardinals when they're bad again.

jimbohastle51
03-01-2009, 11:14 PM
Exactly...didn't understand this signing...doesn't fit what they said they need. This organization is so @ss backwards that nothing surprises me anymore.

i did a little piece for the site and in it i said how i didnt agree with the signing at first but after looking at it, i kinda like it. i would rather have him in the film room with trent than boller or grossman, and if we get a simmons or waters on our line to match or new center (who BETTER be everything jauron and Co. say he will be) trent should have a healthy year. the game he missed against arizona wasnt his fault either, we have to give him a flier on that one because he took a cheap shot from the blind side helmet to helmet and that would have knocked out any QB coming from adrian wilson. also think about it, fitzpatrick will come in here and study hard and not b1tch and do his job helping trent prepare (not too mention that one of trents best friends from high school is also great friends with fitz so they do know each other outside of football) he wont, chirp in coach van pelts ear about playing time or anything.

justasportsfan
03-01-2009, 11:44 PM
Nice thing about Fitz is that he's smart and you can mold him into a qb that plays not to lose. I say he's perfect for this staff.

Don't Panic
03-02-2009, 07:06 AM
I am definitely in the minority on this, but I like the signing. I thought Fitzpatrick did an admirable job filling in for Palmer at the end of last year. I understand he lacked experience, but I wasn't too impressed with what else was out there. Garcia? Controversy from day one, and it does nothing to rectify the situation long term. Grossman or Boller? Why? What good is their experience if they can't play well? Ferotte? OK... you can argue he has quality experience and wouldn't rock the boat, but compare him one on one with Fitzpatrick and Ry Guy still comes out on top IMO. To be honest, I think it was the best move we could have made at backup QB.

yordad
03-02-2009, 08:19 AM
Yeah, lets not hurt Trent's feelings. We surely wouldn't want a backup that would push him, or make him feel uncomfortable in any way.

:down:

mybills
03-02-2009, 08:35 AM
Yeah, lets not hurt Trent's feelings. We surely wouldn't want a backup that would push him, or make him feel uncomfortable in any way.

:down:
lol, that was my first impression. They should have some competition to keep Trent on his toes...but I'm starting to think it had more to do with money. Fitz's cheap compared to Garcia and them. Isn't he?

Mr. Pink
03-02-2009, 09:20 AM
Fitzpatrick showed some promise in his playing time with St Louis a few years back when Bulger went down. However last year in the limited time I saw him play against the Browns, he was downright dreadful.

I dunno what happened to him.

acehole
03-02-2009, 11:08 AM
Fitzpatrick showed some promise in his playing time with St Louis a few years back when Bulger went down. However last year in the limited time I saw him play against the Browns, he was downright dreadful.

I dunno what happened to him.

Yes he seemed lost that game.
However you judge a qb on his
improvement and he did every
game he played. He won his last
3 and he did it with skill.We shall
see if it was an aberration like
trent at the begining of the season
or for real. HE is accurate in the
short game...but unlike trent he
is durable and not afraid either
in the pocket or throwing long.
I for one think he is a good addition.
I would not mind one more brought
in either draft pick or vet.

User Manuel
03-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Jeff Garcia, Brian Griese, Jon Kitna or even Gus Frerotte. = retreads. I don't see any of them as the "mentor" types. Garcia can be somewhat devisive and outspoken and I find it hard to believe he would accept the backup role. Griese just doesnt have it any more. Kitna is a little bit better version of JP. Frerotte is somewhat interesting but peobably would have been far nmore expensive.

Fitzpatrick is mobile and has some interesting upside. I have watched him play and he can manage a game and lead a team. He is not a guy you want if we are down big and need to throw all day long.

I actually predicted this signing a few months ago and I really like it. He has had some moderate success on some really poor football teams.

I think you will look back and be pleased with this signing in a few years.