PDA

View Full Version : Coles is a solid answer and the right move.

HHURRICANE
03-01-2009, 02:49 PM
A guy that has sure hands and averages 900 yards a year and 5 TDs is going to make Evans a much better player.

This is the equiv of bringing in James Lofton to help out Andre Reed.

The guy is not injury prone and would be a great move for us.

FA looks much better with him on our roster.

The RG situation is down right scary and I'm no where convinced that we signed a starting Center.

Coles is a start though.

The Spaz
03-01-2009, 02:52 PM
LG is the issue...:snicker::beers:

HHURRICANE
03-01-2009, 02:57 PM
LG is the issue...:snicker::beers:

Ooops. LG. Sorry.

Michael82
03-01-2009, 03:24 PM
It would also do what none of their other moves could do....

Generate excitement and spur jersey sales. Think of all the Coles jerseys that people will buy. :D

FlyingDutchman
03-01-2009, 03:25 PM
I dunno if id be comparing it to Lofton-Reed but yeah it would be nice

The Juice Is Loose
03-01-2009, 03:28 PM
wtf

coles is slow, short, old and weak.

he's just another josh reed only older.

why do you all want him? i'd rather have nate washington or really probably 10 other free agent receivers.

not to mention coles is a cry baby whiner.

Prov401
03-01-2009, 03:35 PM
Dolphins | Unlikely to pursue Coles
Sun, 01 Mar 2009 13:30:25 -0800
Brian Biggane, of the Palm Beach Post, reports the Miami Dolphins (http://www.kffl.com/team/22/nfl) likely will not pursue unrestricted free-agent WR Laveranues Coles (http://www.kffl.com/player/1365/nfl) (Jets) because they do not see Coles as the No. 1 receiver they are looking for, according to a league source.

It looks as so Coles will be coming to Buffalo.

The Spaz
03-01-2009, 03:35 PM
Coles may not be a dynamic receiver but he is solid, consistent and very good hands. Look at his overall body of work.

TedMock
03-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Coles may not be a dynamic receiver but he is solid, consistent and very good hands. Look at his overall body of work.

I agree. He has definitely lose some of his deep speed, but he is by no means slow. You don't go from a 4.3 to slow. He's probably a 4.5 guy at worst these days. We don't need him for that anyway. He's a consistent vet, he's tough in the middle of the field and he has good hands. That's what we need. There are others out the who I'd be happy with as well, but he certainly fits the mold in most regards.

Michael82
03-01-2009, 03:40 PM
He's also the clutch receiver that this team has been missing for years. He mades the tough catches. Hell, he has hands of glue! :drool:

The Spaz
03-01-2009, 03:42 PM
I also can't wait to add him in Madden if we get him...lol:up::beers:

Luisito23
03-01-2009, 03:50 PM
At this point I'm all for it...End this experiment already Mr. Wilson...

ddaryl
03-01-2009, 04:55 PM
Coles will help. Definitely will allow other WR's to get open a little more often

but the game is won and lost in the trenches, and right now our trenches have not been addressed at a high enough level.

topher180
03-01-2009, 04:59 PM
We can debate what Coles is and isn't all day, but bottom line he's better than James Hardy. Upgrading the position, especially in an organization that doesn't historically make waves....I'll take it.

It's up to him now though.

nateodoms'bff
03-01-2009, 05:56 PM
Ugh.

Stop already with the Coles business.

I know that he has some name recognition, and that having him will spur some kind of rivalry with the Jets, but be realistic here.

Bringing in Coles is not going to improve this offense. Its a lateral move, that adds little help to a struggling offense. I'm not sure where the hands of glue, or tough over the middle stuff is coming from. If you watch him on a regular basis, you see two things.

1.) he doesn't exploit the seams well. He is easily lost in zone coverage, especially over the middle of the field.

2. he is best, like evans, against one on one coverage. No team in this division plays man coverage. Every team will play aggressive zone against this team.

Sure he will sell some jersey's. The fans will be happy, and yes, for the first few games, it may open Evans up, but when they play a division game, watch the offense struggle. Without a receiver that has some size AND strength, this offense will crumble.

The Spaz
03-01-2009, 06:03 PM
We have seen Reed try and be the #2 and he hasn't gotten it done. So how is signing Coles a lateral move? If Coles is so average why is it that he is able to perform so well over his career?

nateodoms'bff
03-01-2009, 06:12 PM
We have seen Reed try and be the #2 and he hasn't gotten it done. So how is signing Coles a lateral move? If Coles is so average why is it that he is able to perform so well over his career?

Its lateral in the sense that you add talent, but not talent that you need.

Watch him play. The offense that he played in did not require YAC. It's an offense predicated on clock management and ball management. Don't turn it over, keep the defense off the field. Look at 12.4 yards per catch. The Bills have that guy already in Josh Reed and Lee Evans (Evans is higher). What they need is someone who can catch the ball, break a tackle, and run with it. That's point of a spread offense. You spread your receivers out, to take advantage of gaps in the coverage. Coles is not an exceptional route runner. He runs to his spot, turns to make the catch, and gets tackled. He doesn't put himself in a position to make a play with the ball after the catch.

Just like Josh Reed. Just like Lee Evans.

Its a lateral move because, yes he does have a certain skill set, and has been successful in an offensive scheme that is built for guys like him. A conservative, run first offense, that doesn't strike fear into anyones hearts. The Bills have three receivers that do that already. They spent a 2nd round pick on a guy, who if healthy, will see diminshed playing time now because of a high cost veteran signing. Steve Johnson will also not be seeing the field much this season, unless there is an injury. Coles and Evans are rarely injured.

Its a poor move, because it doesn't help the Bills offense improve, it just puts a name on a jersey, that people will buy for $100, and claim he is the next so and so. When the truth is, if you look at what this team does offensively, and the rosters that other teams have that run similar schemes, the Bills are going about this all wrong.

The Spaz
03-01-2009, 06:20 PM
Coles is coming in as a #2 on this team. He has been able to handle being a #1 for his career. He must be doing something right. Coles is an upgrade and how you can't see that is beyond me.

!Papacrunk!
03-01-2009, 06:24 PM
I think Coles would be a really good fit for you guys--especially by taking the pressure off Evans. We need a WR, but just because him and Pennington are buddies, doesn't mean that's all it takes to sign a player, if they did I guess they wouldn't have to worry about establishing a rapport

yordad
03-01-2009, 06:38 PM
Reed doesn't even do well against one on one coverage. Lee is doubled like every play. When he is open, the QB is afraid to throw it that far. Especially when it is cold. Maybe he Trent has small hands(?). Point is, Lee would get less double coverage.

Consistency. As I said in another thread, Coles had 70 catches last year for 850 yards. He has averaged 74 catches and 945 yards for every 16 games played in his career (counting his rookie year when he played 13 games but only had 22 for 370).

Think about what 70 catches could do for this offense. What it could do for Lee. What these two could do for Lynch.

I don't care how he does it. If he does it over the middle, long, or literally laterally. I know he did it opposite an ordinary Jerricho Cotchery too.

But, on the flip side,
I see us needing to upgrade two positions predraft between LG, DE, and OLB. But, I don't see it happening. If we had just re-signed Crow, we could have made a play for KC's disgruntled OG. Then drafted the best available 4-3 DE (Orakpo hopefully). Hit off a recieving TE in the second. Draft some interior lineman. Draft a threat at FB. Extend Peters and Jackson.

In the end,
What happens to this cash if Ralph doesn't spend it on players? An addition at WR isn't in my master plan at this time. But, I doubt they've seen my bluprint. And, I guess it could be a lot better then nothing.

nateodoms'bff
03-01-2009, 06:47 PM
Coles is coming in as a #2 on this team. He has been able to handle being a #1 for his career. He must be doing something right. Coles is an upgrade and how you can't see that is beyond me.

You are correct, and yet not at the same time.

Just because he was a #1 in Brian Schottenheimer's Marty Ball V2.0, doesn't make him a fit for this team.

He is a skilled player, he's just not what this system needs.

I'll give you an example.

The Arizona Cardinals run a spread style offense, very similar to the Bills. The receivers on that team do the one thing that the Bills receivers (I'll include Coles for arguments sake) do not. That is break tackles, and get YAC. Say what you want about Warner and Edwards, but if you watch them play, you will see a lot of similarities both negative and positive. I'll stick with positive for the sake of this discussion.

Both are incredibly accurate, both can make quick decisions, and both rarely take a coveage sack. Meaning, if the play isnt there, they throw it away, or make a play with their legs (edwards, not so much warner). A good portion of the yards come from either Fitzgerald Boldin or Breaston making a play with their legs, i.e. breaking a tackle and gaining yards after the catch.

What is the one thing that all of those guys have in common? Size. All of them are over 6' tall, and 200lbs.

They are fast enough to get open, can physically dominate a corner, break a tackle from the safety, and outrun a linebacker.

While Coles and Evans have good speed, they do not possess the physical advantage of dominating a CB or breaking tackles.

I think Coles would be great for a lot of teams, just not the Bills.

Luisito23
03-01-2009, 06:49 PM
Watch him end up in Pitts.....

yordad
03-01-2009, 07:00 PM
You are correct, and yet not at the same time.

Just because he was a #1 in Brian Schottenheimer's Marty Ball V2.0, doesn't make him a fit for this team.

He is a skilled player, he's just not what this system needs.
Seemed to me we had a Marty Ball style.

mush69
03-01-2009, 07:07 PM
He's also the clutch receiver that this team has been missing for years. He mades the tough catches. Hell, he has hands of glue! :drool:

I do believe he made one right in front of us!

I think this would be a great addition to the receiving corps.

nateodoms'bff
03-01-2009, 07:10 PM
Seemed to me we had a Marty Ball style.

I think that's due to the fact that there was no real run game, and that most times, defenses dropped 7-8 in coverage. They placed a blanket over the Bills offense, and Trent was forced to take a check down.

That's the one thing that drives me nuts about people who criticize Edwards. Its not like he wants to only throw to the #3 or #4 option on a play, its generally all that was open. The kid is a competitive athlete, that has played well at every level. He wants to win. Every guy on the field does. They want to score, but when the coaches don't game plan to put them in a winning position, there isn't much he can do.

You can polish a turd, but its still just a shiny turd.

yordad
03-01-2009, 08:01 PM
I think that's due to the fact that there was no real run game, and that most times, defenses dropped 7-8 in coverage. They placed a blanket over the Bills offense, and Trent was forced to take a check down.

That's the one thing that drives me nuts about people who criticize Edwards. Its not like he wants to only throw to the #3 or #4 option on a play, its generally all that was open. The kid is a competitive athlete, that has played well at every level. He wants to win. Every guy on the field does. They want to score, but when the coaches don't game plan to put them in a winning position, there isn't much he can do.

You can polish a turd, but its still just a shiny turd.I'm going to have to disagree with ya there. I see Lee practically waving his arms down field. I see a QB afraid to throw it long. I seen a Qb play an entire Monday night game without throwing to his wide open #1 receiver once. I seen a game where Lynch managed to get 10 catches, while the WRs COMBINED for 4 catches.

I seen a press conference where he was asked if he was afraid to throw it.

And to top it off, I see a RB (or two) that made RB look like our most talented position.

Trent needs to get better.

Mad Max
03-01-2009, 08:56 PM
Coles? Meh :idunno:

IMO he's a finishing move type of player. A player that you sign to put your really good team that's close, over the top. You don't get a kind of guy of his age on a rebuilding team, because however much he has left will be squandered to get you a few more points 1-2 more wins and not much else.