PDA

View Full Version : Pryce a new model of (fuel) efficiency

Gunzlingr
05-12-2003, 08:09 AM
Broncos end wants more in tank with game on line

By Lynn DeBruin, Rocky Mountain News
May 12, 2003

He was paid to perform like a Ferrari. But in the second half of games last season, Trevor Pryce probably was feeling more like the family mini-van, one running on bad gas at that.

"My legs just got heavy. I couldn't get them to turn over no matter what I did," the Denver Broncos defensive end said. "I was just out there trying to survive, running as fast as I can, which was not as fast as I was in the first half.

"That's what I want to get back to."

If mini-camp this weekend was any indication, Pryce has gotten the lead out.

He's 15 pounds lighter, down to 285, with 3 pounds to go to reach his target. He also has trimmed his body fat 3 percent to 4 percent, down to about 16 percent, and is way above the norm in terms of ability to pull an opponent out of the way.

"He looks quick out here right now, very quick, and agile," Broncos general manager Ted Sundquist said. "He looks explosive."

While Sundquist believes the presence of workhorse defensive tackle Daryl Gardener might be motivating everyone, strength coach Rich Tuten said Pryce made the decision to slim down long before Gardener arrived.

"We talked in December, with a couple of games left, about the fact that he wanted to (lose) weight and get in better shape," Tuten said.

MORE (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/broncos/article/0,1299,DRMN_17_1954946,00.html)