PDA

View Full Version : Crabtree Opts for Surgery-Will Not Run

DraftBoy
03-01-2009, 03:40 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/news/story?id=3944150

Michael Crabtree won't perform in front of NFL scouts at his school's pro day later this month, opting to have surgery on a stress fracture in his left foot on March 4.

His stock is now falling, could he be there at 11? If we sign Coles and he is there at 11, do you pass?

psubills62
03-01-2009, 03:54 PM
I thought the NFL teams wanted him to have surgery rather than run the 40? If it was Maclin, it would be a big deal but everyone knows that Crabtree's game isn't based on speed. This way, he should be ready for TC.

I'm torn...if we sign Coles, I really don't think we'll need a WR, but Crabtree is just that talented. Could we pass him up? Or should we use him to try and trade down out of #11? I'm not going to worry about it too much because I think he's so talented that he won't fall to us.

DraftBoy
03-01-2009, 03:55 PM
I dont see him getting past the Raiders at this point imo.

psubills62
03-01-2009, 04:02 PM
I dont see him getting past the Raiders at this point imo.

I'm actually kind of curious about the Raiders picks...Davis seemed to have gone off the deep end last year with his FA signings, trades, etc. I wonder if Tom Cable (former OL coach) will try to talk some sense into him and draft an OL-man?

Again, not something I'm expecting at this point, but it kind of makes me wonder...especially since Davis has been peculiarly quiet so far in FA.

But you're right - it would be really hard to see them passing on Crabtree, after how terribly their WR's played in 2008.

LtFinFan66
03-01-2009, 04:21 PM
I don't see it hurting him. Everyone knows what he brings to the table

Tatonka
03-01-2009, 06:08 PM
this was the only possible way he makes it to 11.. and if he is there we probably take him only because that would be the value pick.. if we did take him though, you get on the phone and work a trade for parrish immediately.

patmoran2006
03-01-2009, 09:35 PM
I predicted this earlier.
I TRULY think he's going to be on the board at #11.

DraftBoy
03-01-2009, 09:38 PM
I predicted this earlier.
I TRULY think he's going to be on the board at #11.

You and thousands of other people too.

I dont see it, Davis has hard on for him, and Seattle needs a WR in the worst possible way.

psubills62
03-01-2009, 10:04 PM
You and thousands of other people too.

I dont see it, Davis has hard on for him, and Seattle needs a WR in the worst possible way.

Coincidentally speaking of the Raiders, check out this report from rotoworld:

"Raiders beat reporter Jason Jones says he "wouldn't be surprised" if Oakland used its first-round pick on Percy Harvin.

While 7th overall would seem be high for Harvin, his speed undoubtedly will appeal to owner Al Davis. If the Raiders get their offensive tackle situation ironed out in free agency, wideout could be their top priority in the draft."

To me, this just sounds like typical speculation that occurs before the draft. I seriously doubt they'd pass on Crabtree for Harvin if Crabtree was there at #7. But if Crabtree isn't there...I guess stranger things have happened.

Mski
03-02-2009, 09:12 AM
if he's there @ 11 we should draft him, no questions asked... regardless of a coles signing or not.... he is a type of player who wasnt too reliant on speed in the firstplace, so not running a 40 shouldnt hurt his draft stock

DraftBoy
03-02-2009, 09:21 AM
if he's there @ 11 we should draft him, no questions asked... regardless of a coles signing or not.... he is a type of player who wasnt too reliant on speed in the firstplace, so not running a 40 shouldnt hurt his draft stock

Its not just the running that is hurting his stock and I think you guys are getting stuck too much on a 40 at this point. Teams want to see him run not for his 40 time but for his 10 and 20 yd splits. He has questions about his agility and acceleration. Fitzgerald was not a fast timed speed (4.6 40) but he has good quickness and acceleration which set him apart a little bit. Nobody knows about that with Crab. Plus they want to see him run NFL routes, at TT he had more freedom to wander which is a question mark. Can he make the exact 90 degree cut on the out route, can he run the right corner route. All questions that now remain due to his surgery decision and it will hurt his stock.

Tatonka
03-02-2009, 12:59 PM
i hope a lot of people have those questions and he falls.

that would be great for us for 2 reasons.. either a) we take him, and wow does our wr group look sick now, or b) we have an easy trade down to someone else, because you KNOW denver at 12 will take him for sure, especially with marshall's situation.

DraftBoy
03-02-2009, 02:49 PM
i hope a lot of people have those questions and he falls.

that would be great for us for 2 reasons.. either a) we take him, and wow does our wr group look sick now, or b) we have an easy trade down to someone else, because you KNOW denver at 12 will take him for sure, especially with marshall's situation.

I think everybody has them but how much weight will they put on them is the question. To me Crabtree is still the #2 player in this draft even with the surgery (1. Curry).

The Jokeman
03-04-2009, 06:15 PM
As stated Oakland shouldn't pass on him but if they do the Jaguars could certainly use him too. So I don't see him falling to #11 but if he did while I like him think if someone willing to trade up for him gladly trade down to the mid 1st if can acquire another pick in either Round 2 or 3. As again I have real issues on how much he would contribute here in part because of being a rookie and also the injury also raises more concern.