PDA

View Full Version : DE, TE, LB, and LG all to be filled through the draft?!?

HHURRICANE
03-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Wow, that's just insane.

Please tell me that there are some more big moves in the works.

DraftBoy
03-01-2009, 05:04 PM
That not difficult to do in this class. Stop freaking out and calm down.

Mitchell55
03-01-2009, 05:05 PM
G and LB will both be taken care of before. It shows since there have already been talks with 5 guards. LB will also probably if Crow is not resigned and possibly winbourn.

DrGraves
03-01-2009, 05:05 PM
except the bills will take jenkins or something dumb. the front offfice has a huge fetish for ohio state secondary players...

acehole
03-01-2009, 05:07 PM
That not difficult to do in this class. Stop freaking out and calm down.

Not only that...we have june 1 cuts and practice squad players to plunder.

We are scouring the CFL right now....as well.

nateodoms'bff
03-01-2009, 05:48 PM
I really don't think that there are any real prospects for DE in free agency or in the draft that fit what this team needs.

That being said, I think that Tight End is not as big of an issue as everyone here seems to think.

Derek Fine excelled once he returned from injury. Derek Schouman showed progress as well. The way that TE's are used in this offense, doesn't warrant the contract or the draft picks it will take to get Daniels.

If they draft a LB, D-Line or O-Line with the #11 pick, I would be very happy.

Even if they draft Jenkins to play FS, I would be happy.

gil
03-01-2009, 05:57 PM
I am no fan of our front office and don't want to especially come across as defending them, but did you expect the bills to be making "big moves" in free agency?

Once the big names have signed, then that sets the market for everyone else, so now we move into tier 2 free agents, which is what I expected the bills to go after anyway and, yes, the draft.

Mahdi
03-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Wow, that's just insane.

Please tell me that there are some more big moves in the works.
It is possible I suppose...

For example...

Rd. 1) Brian Orakpo, E.Brown, Michael Johnson

Rd.2) Jared Cook TE

Rd.3) Antoine Caldwell, Andy Levitre, Johnathan Luigs

Rd.4) Stanley Arnoux, LB, Wake Forest

yordad
03-01-2009, 07:07 PM
It is possible I suppose...

For example...

Rd. 1) Brian Orakpo, E.Brown, Michael Johnson

Rd.2) Jared Cook TE

Rd.3) Antoine Caldwell, Andy Levitre, Johnathan Luigs

Rd.4) Stanley Arnoux, LB, Wake ForestIs a 4th rd LB going to be a day 1 starter? Cuz they need a day 1 starter.

Al the Bills Fan
03-01-2009, 07:18 PM
I would think that they sign a Guard via Free Agency with having Simmons in for a visit and the Waters trade rumors, they may not end up with either of those guys but it shows that the FO knows they have to get a Guard before the draft. I am hoping there is some merit to the Waters trade talk because that guy is INSANE!!! Simmons healthy would be an improvement over Doc too.

Not sure they address any of the other needs.

HHURRICANE
03-01-2009, 07:31 PM
Is a 4th rd LB going to be a day 1 starter? Cuz they need a day 1 starter.

Wow, we actually agree on something!!

Mahdi
03-01-2009, 07:37 PM
Is a 4th rd LB going to be a day 1 starter? Cuz they need a day 1 starter.
A 4th round linebacker can easily start day 1. Finding cover 2 LBs in the draft is easy. Briggs was drafted in the 3rd round. Its all about finding guys that fit your scheme and have the skills to succeed in it. There's actually going to be plenty of guys available in the 4th that can be day 1 starters for us at OLB.

madness
03-01-2009, 07:45 PM
A 4th round linebacker can easily start day 1. Finding cover 2 LBs in the draft is easy. Briggs was drafted in the 3rd round. Its all about finding guys that fit your scheme and have the skills to succeed in it. There's actually going to be plenty of guys available in the 4th that can be day 1 starters for us at OLB.

Judging by how many rookies have been pretty successful at the position over the last few years, it may be the easiest transition to make in football.

Don't Panic
03-01-2009, 08:36 PM

Banking on us to hit on our 4th round day 1 starter, plus the other three rookie starters, is a bit overly optimistic I'd say. Realistically, we can bank on two of those four being day 1 starters, and that's if we draft well, and it almost certainly comes from our first two picks. If we're smart, we go in with only two of those needs as starters - DE and TE, and we take them in that order.

BuffaloRanger
03-01-2009, 10:50 PM
Fine and Schouman are dime a dozen TEs. Not game changers.

The Bills might utilize (big might considering this coaching staff) the TE more if they had a quality TOP 10 in the NFL type of TE. You now like Winslow who was traded to the Bucs.

But you never really know what the Bills are thinking. They have had one of the worst offense's in the entire NFL over the last 6 years. (Bottom 8 in yards gained each season) but they still cling to the same offensive game plan of the last 3 years? I don't know if it's the players, coaches, or game plan that's to blame.

Saratoga Slim
03-02-2009, 11:02 AM
If we sign Coles, the TE need becomes more of a want. Coles would give Trent a great possession weapon and immediately change the nature of our offense.

I think we're going to try to get a new LG in FA, whether it's Simmons or Waters or someone else not on the radar yet.

If those two things happen, then we're basically looking at DE and LB as glaring needs. Crowell could still come back, which would leave DE.

Bottom line is that free agency is only three days old. I am pretty confident that we'll do SOMETHING over the rest of the period, and thus not ALL the needs you're citing will be left for the draft.