PDA

View Full Version : Fred Robbins may get released...

Mahdi
03-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Giants | Robbins may be released
Sun, 01 Mar 2009 14:48:38 -0800

Ralph Vacchiano, of the New York Daily News, reports the New York Giants may release DT Fred Robbins, according to league sources.

KFFL...

Robbins would be a sick addition to our DL. The Giants signed Bernard and Chris Canty so I guess he's odd man out.

This guy is a run stuffer and can also rush the passer. Had 5.5 sacks in each of last 3 years.

patmoran2006
03-01-2009, 08:02 PM
Yer 100% right.

Problem is, and I dont know if it was a strategy just for the few days, or their feeling overall, but to my knowledge the Bills haven't contacted a single defensive linemen about a visit. Least not til now.

I would LOVE to see him here though. He'd push Kyle Williams directly to a bench rotation, which is the way it should be.

Jaybird
03-01-2009, 08:05 PM
we should be all over him

Mitchell55
03-01-2009, 08:05 PM
Wouldnt mind it at all, in fact, id prefer it. Him and Coles would make us going from a horrible FA to one of the best.

theanswer74
03-01-2009, 08:11 PM
He is a leader as well.

Goobylal
03-01-2009, 08:13 PM
I'd send a late-round draft pick the Giants' way for FR, to ensure the Bills get him.

Mitchell55
03-01-2009, 08:17 PM
I'd send a late-round draft pick the Giants' way for FR, to ensure the Bills get him.

Yes, its always better to lose a pick then get him without losing anything. Genius.

jpdex12
03-01-2009, 08:22 PM
Pat, can't you reverse the process and put the bug in the ear of your source that we need to sign Robbins?

Goobylal
03-01-2009, 08:24 PM
Yes, its always better to lose a pick then get him without losing anything. Genius.
If Robbins were to hit the open market, he'd have plenty of suitors. Trading for him ensures the Bills can get him. Genius.

lmcshadow
03-01-2009, 08:27 PM
would be a big plus with stroud on his flank

Mitchell55
03-01-2009, 08:27 PM
If Robbins were to hit the open market, he'd have plenty of suitors. Trading for him ensures the Bills can get him. Genius.

Then we would be a laughing stock.

jpdex12
03-01-2009, 08:29 PM
Roscoe Parrish for Robbins? Straight up!

Goobylal
03-01-2009, 08:30 PM
Then we would be a laughing stock.
For sending say, a 5th rounder to the Giants to get a good DT? Hardly.

Mitchell55
03-01-2009, 08:31 PM
For sending say, a 5th rounder to the Giants to get a good DT? Hardly.

I thought we were talking around a 3rd.

Goobylal
03-01-2009, 08:34 PM
I thought we were talking around a 3rd.
I said "late-round" in my original post.

patmoran2006
03-01-2009, 08:45 PM
Id be interested to find out what the Bills think about Robbins.

Lexwhat
03-01-2009, 08:46 PM
Are you kidding me??

Fred Robbins >>> Kyle Williams or John McCargo or Spencer Johnson.

LifetimeBillsFan
03-01-2009, 10:57 PM
I would definitely give up a late round pick to get Fred Robbins. He would immediately make the Bills better.

I watch just about every game that the Giants play every year and IMHO F.Robbins has been a key to how well their defense has performed since he has been with them. His presence in the middle allowed them to unleash their pass rushers as they have and to use J.Tuck, a natural DE, at DT in certain situations, like the SB against the Pats.

Rocky Bernard is a good DT and younger than Robbins. And, I know that Barry Cofield has become a much better player than expected. But, for my money, the Giants will be making a mistake if they let go of Robbins, who, IMHO, is more consistent than Bernard has been thus far.

If Robbins is cut, there will be a lot of interest in him and I do believe that it would serve the Bills well to give up a late round pick to secure his services. I wouldn't go too high with the pick because Robbins isn't a youngster and the Bills have other needs to fill, but I would love to see him in a Bills' uni. I think he would make M.Stroud and the rest of the D-line better because he does have to be double-teamed and opposing offenses would have to pick between double-teaming him and Stroud or Schobel, etc.

I just hope that someone at OBD makes a phone call to see if Robbins would be available and, if so, what the Giants would want in return for him.

Tatonka
03-01-2009, 11:05 PM
for the life of me, i dont understand why they signed bernard if it meant to cut robbins.. he is a great player.. why would you sign another player who is less of a player just to cut a better one???

BuffaloRanger
03-01-2009, 11:09 PM
Maybe they figured since they had the money, why not add great depth and in the process prevent other teams from adding those players?

Tatonka
03-01-2009, 11:19 PM
that doesnt make any sense.. robbins is better than bernard.. so why sign bernard only to cut robbins?

that is like signing coles, if it means you have to cut evans.

Lexwhat
03-01-2009, 11:47 PM
I would definitely give up a late round pick to get Fred Robbins. He would immediately make the Bills better.

I watch just about every game that the Giants play every year and IMHO F.Robbins has been a key to how well their defense has performed since he has been with them. His presence in the middle allowed them to unleash their pass rushers as they have and to use J.Tuck, a natural DE, at DT in certain situations, like the SB against the Pats.

Rocky Bernard is a good DT and younger than Robbins. And, I know that Barry Cofield has become a much better player than expected. But, for my money, the Giants will be making a mistake if they let go of Robbins, who, IMHO, is more consistent than Bernard has been thus far.

If Robbins is cut, there will be a lot of interest in him and I do believe that it would serve the Bills well to give up a late round pick to secure his services. I wouldn't go too high with the pick because Robbins isn't a youngster and the Bills have other needs to fill, but I would love to see him in a Bills' uni. I think he would make M.Stroud and the rest of the D-line better because he does have to be double-teamed and opposing offenses would have to pick between double-teaming him and Stroud or Schobel, etc.

I just hope that someone at OBD makes a phone call to see if Robbins would be available and, if so, what the Giants would want in return for him.

Excellent post.

I am a close follower of the Eagles. By extension, I have become familiar with the Giants as well. Robbins is VERY low-key outside of NY since all the fan attention goes to Tuck / Umenyiora / Kiwanuka (and Strahan when he used to play).

I would be willing to give up a 4th for Robbins, or even a 3rd. We have more than enough cap space, and Robbins surely has 3-4 good years left in him.

In terms of value, Robbins is a spectacular choice and we couldn't go wrong.

Lexwhat
03-01-2009, 11:56 PM
that doesnt make any sense.. robbins is better than bernard.. so why sign bernard only to cut robbins?

that is like signing coles, if it means you have to cut evans.

Only thing I can think of is that they have Cofield and now Rocky Bernard. With Robbins, all 3 are bonafide starters, so Robbins may have wanted to be the full-time starter elsewhere and thus asked for a release. Who knows though.

If the Bills had some balls, they would release Kelsey and McCargo, and throw a nice 4 year deal at Robbins. I am tired of underperforming overpaid players.

With Robbins and Stroud, no team would be able to run on us up the middle.

chernobylwraiths
03-02-2009, 06:32 AM
Why not trade McCargo for Robbins? Didn't the Giants originally want McCargo anyway? Or are they looking to release because they already have too many at the position?

patmoran2006
03-02-2009, 06:59 AM
Well they plan on using Canty as a DT in their 4-3

Dantheman1280
03-02-2009, 07:15 AM
Roscoe Parrish for Robbins? Straight up!

This is not just directed at you..... Every one wants to dump Roscoe, I don't get it, he can flip the field if we can ever force people to punt. He is a great punt returner and an asset to this team! I don't get it...

Mahdi
03-02-2009, 07:32 AM
Well they plan on using Canty as a DT in their 4-3
The Giants on passing downs will have Tuck, Umenyiora, Canty and Kiwanuka rushing the passer. That's just not fair.

DraftBoy
03-02-2009, 07:45 AM
The Giants on passing downs will have Tuck, Umenyiora, Canty and Kiwanuka rushing the passer. That's just not fair.

But a new play caller on D. One of the things that made the Giants so good was Spags ability to properly time out the blitz calls and make them work. They have the guys to rush the passer for sure though.

Mahdi
03-02-2009, 07:50 AM
But a new play caller on D. One of the things that made the Giants so good was Spags ability to properly time out the blitz calls and make them work. They have the guys to rush the passer for sure though.
Spagnuolo learned under Jim Johnson... With Bill Sheridan (was the LBs coach) taking over after learning under Spagnuolo I'm sure he will keep the same scheme and style of play. They will do all the same things.

DraftBoy
03-02-2009, 07:52 AM
Spagnuolo learned under Jim Johnson... With Bill Sheridan (was the LBs coach) taking over after learning under Spagnuolo I'm sure he will keep the same scheme and style of play. They will do all the same things.

That's the ideal situation yes, but not a guarantee. We've seen plenty of places where the old DC left, one of his disciples takes over and the defense falters. Look at Jacksonville last season.

Im not convinced yet that Sheridan has the same feel for the game as Spags. That's yet to be seen.

Mahdi
03-02-2009, 08:29 AM
That's the ideal situation yes, but not a guarantee. We've seen plenty of places where the old DC left, one of his disciples takes over and the defense falters. Look at Jacksonville last season.

Im not convinced yet that Sheridan has the same feel for the game as Spags. That's yet to be seen.
Greg Williams took over in Jacksonville. He isn't a Mike Smith disciple. And actually the disciple thing usually works. Look at the Dungy disciple tree, Parcells disciple tree, most of those branches are successful. Jim Johnson guys are successful all over the league... they are John Harbaugh (Ravens), Spagnuolo, Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier and Chargers defensive coordinator Ron Rivera.