PDA

View Full Version : Some of My Thoughts

Lexwhat
03-01-2009, 08:44 PM
-- The Bills really missed the boat by not going after Brian Dawkins. Dawkins is obviously not the player he once was, but I watched him in ~10 games last year and he is still a very physical, intelligent player who could have been our team leader. Slide Whitner over to FS.
And please, spare me the BS about Dawkins "not fitting our system."

-- I am very happy the Bills got rid of Dockery, and called for this move a few weeks ago. But, I just think it was 1 year too early.

-- Wish we would have Transition-tagged Jabari Greer. If we signed Greer long term, we could let McGee walk when his contract expires or else trade him now for a draft pick.

-- Hangartner was an excellent signing, IMO. I think he can long-snap too, so we should cut Ryan Neill.

-- I'm still not a fan of Brad Butler. I would love to draft a Guard in Round 2/3 this year and let him take over for Butler in due time.

-- This team's O-Line depth is pathetic.

-- Why are Chris Kelsey and Ko Simpson still on this team?!

-- With all this cap space, why haven't we signed Fred Jackson long term?

-- I think Luverneus Coles would be a great signing.

-- I mentioned last year that the Jason Peters and Angelo Crowell situations would scare away potential free agents in the future for the Bills. Hmmm, any idea if that's coming true? IMO, the Bills continue to show they are a poorly run organization.

-- Just like last year, I would only want to go O-Line or D-Line with our 1st rounder. OLB is my backup choice. This team will NEVER be successful unless they significantly improve in the trenches though. Orakpo would be my pick, but I would be thrilled with Andre Smith or Michael Oher. I think either player could start at Guard in their rookie season, and eventually take over for Langston Walker. Alternatively, Langston could probably play OG as well.

Doesn't seem like anyone else here is in favor of an O-Tackle in the 1st Round. Thoughts??

Mitchell55
03-01-2009, 08:45 PM
Agree with all but Butler. Butler is one of our lone bright spots.

patmoran2006
03-01-2009, 08:46 PM
Great post.
I agree with everything you said, except for one item.

You cant rely on Hangartner as your long snapper.. He's a starting center, and the injury risk is way too high.

Lexwhat
03-01-2009, 08:47 PM
Great post.
I agree with everything you said, except for one item.

You cant rely on Hangartner as your long snapper.. He's a starting center, and the injury risk is way too high.

Fair enough... Didn't really think about that. Good point.

Lexwhat
03-01-2009, 08:48 PM
Agree with all but Butler. Butler is one of our lone bright spots.

I don't particularly dislike Butler, but I still think we need to improve our O-Line significantly and Butler's spot can be upgraded.

patmoran2006
03-01-2009, 08:57 PM
It's pretty hard though to put Butler and his $2.2 million salary on the bench.

I agree,I'd like to see RG upgraded I think Butler is at best serviceable.

But again, that's a lot of money for a bench player. WE just extended him last year.

Goobylal
03-01-2009, 09:01 PM
Butler is a good player and is still on the upswing. Having a better center next to him will help. And the Bills have greater concerns than upgrading the RG spot.

patmoran2006
03-01-2009, 09:02 PM
Butler is a good player and is still on the upswing. Having a better center next to him will help. And the Bills have greater concerns than upgrading the RG spot.
That's another valid point.

Its hard to be a good guard when the guy next to you can't do his job to save his life.

For the record, I dont think for 2 seconds the Bills are looking to replace Butler.

Slim
03-01-2009, 09:08 PM
That's another valid point.

Its hard to be a good guard when the guy next to you can't do his job to save his life.

For the record, I dont think for 2 seconds the Bills are looking to replace Butler.

Agreed. He's no world beater. But the few games he missed (if i remember correctly) last seaons the bills couldnt run the ball at all.

ct bills fan
03-01-2009, 09:11 PM
Didn't Butler grade out as our best O-lineman last year? Pretty sure I read that somewhere. Now, he didn't have that mcuh competition - Peters had an off year and Dockery and Fowler sucked, but, I'm more than happy with Walker and Butler manninf our right side.

patmoran2006
03-01-2009, 09:37 PM
Agreed. He's no world beater. But the few games he missed (if i remember correctly) last seaons the bills couldnt run the ball at all. Duke Preston and Kirk Chambers were both trainwrecks at RG in his absence.