PDA

View Full Version : I Thought We Had Depht With Spencer Johnson???....

Luisito23
03-02-2009, 07:24 AM
Whatever happen to do that?...He's been invisible since his press conference, and I say another bad signing...:feedback:

DraftBoy
03-02-2009, 07:30 AM
I thought he had a pretty good year actually. But you need more than 3 DT's to have depth. You need at least 4 DT's to have good depth.

I dont see what rationale there is to say he is a bad signing already. He had 31 tackles and 2 sacks last season and saw time at both DT spots.

Jan Reimers
03-02-2009, 07:58 AM
We had depth before McCargo turned into a slug. Stroud, Williams and Johnson give us three pretty good DTs. If McCargo were to regain his motivation (if he ever had any to begin with) and started playing like a 1st round pick, we'd have depth.

But if McCargo continues to wallow around like a fat, lazy slob,we'll need another DT to fill out the rotation.

Mahdi
03-02-2009, 08:17 AM
The Bills seem to love to take risks with FAs. They continually sign other teams backups in hopes they will blossom into impact players and starters and so far it hasn't really worked as well as they would have hoped.

Tripplett, Spencer Johnson (If you look at the contract the Bills gave him I think they were expecting more) Fowler, Reyes, Royal, Gaines, Bennie Anderson, Mike Gandy (Yeah he is a starting LT in Zona but I dont think they view him as that, he will be upgraded), etc.

When we spend money on players like Spikes, Stroud, Fletcher, Walker, Spielman, Paup, Lofton, Ted Washington, Adams etc. It usually works out. Dockery is one of the few exceptions of starters/proven players we have taken from other teams that didn't work.

psubills62
03-02-2009, 08:27 AM
The Bills seem to love to take risks with FAs. They continually sign other teams backups in hopes they will blossom into impact players and starters and so far it hasn't really worked as well as they would have hoped.

Tripplett, Spencer Johnson (If you look at the contract the Bills gave him I think they were expecting more) Fowler, Reyes, Royal, Gaines, Bennie Anderson, Mike Gandy (Yeah he is a starting LT in Zona but I dont think they view him as that, he will be upgraded), etc.

When we spend money on players like Spikes, Stroud, Fletcher, Walker, Spielman, Paup, Lofton, Ted Washington, Adams etc. It usually works out. Dockery is one of the few exceptions of starters/proven players we have taken from other teams that didn't work.

I think giving Johnson 2.5 million per year is at most a depth player contract, not so much a starter's contract. Especially considering the cost of a starting player's contract nowadays. Also, I guess I don't mean a depth player so much as a rotational player. Seems like a got a pretty decent deal for a DT who gets about as many sacks per year as our starting DE's.

As far as most of the other players you named, most of them were JAGs who were unspectacular, but solid enough that Buffalo was hoping they'd be able to build a team and eventually replace those JAGs they just signed. Sort of like what Miami did last year. Except Miami actually signed much better players for much better prices.

Pinkerton Security
03-02-2009, 08:30 AM
I disagree. Thats exactly what he was, depth. Hes a fairly solid player.

Oaf
03-02-2009, 08:34 AM
Well, we haven't scheduled any DT visits so far..

Mahdi
03-02-2009, 08:38 AM
I think giving Johnson 2.5 million per year is at most a depth player contract, not so much a starter's contract. Especially considering the cost of a starting player's contract nowadays. Also, I guess I don't mean a depth player so much as a rotational player. Seems like a got a pretty decent deal for a DT who gets about as many sacks per year as our starting DE's.

As far as most of the other players you named, most of them were JAGs who were unspectacular, but solid enough that Buffalo was hoping they'd be able to build a team and eventually replace those JAGs they just signed. Sort of like what Miami did last year. Except Miami actually signed much better players for much better prices.
Well if he is only making 2.5 mil then its not so bad. Still though, if team's that are actually already good are adding to the talented starters they already have with more talented starters it makes you wonder what the Bills are doing.... The Giants as of right now have 8 DL that would start for the Bills. We have one DL that would start for the Giants.

justasportsfan
03-02-2009, 09:17 AM
Whatever happen to do that?...He's been invisible since his press conference, and I say another bad signing...:feedback:
too early to tell. It was his first year with the team and teammates

BuffaloBillsStampede
03-02-2009, 09:37 AM
I thought Spencer was pretty good myself

Mr. Pink
03-02-2009, 09:39 AM
I liked how Spencer performed during the year.

We obviously do need another DT though for the rotation, seeing we only have 3 real DTs on the roster. I don't include McCargo in the equation.

Now, could we use an upgrade over Kyle Williams? Definitely.

But, he's serviceable.

Tatonka
03-02-2009, 02:46 PM
we need another moster starter and kyle williams needs to be a backup.