PDA

View Full Version : Why Are Other Teams FA Signings Better Than Ours

User Manuel
03-02-2009, 01:43 PM
Please pick a team and explain why their free agent signing's or Free agent philosophy and why their signing is better (or worse) than what the Bills are currently doing.

Please don't delve into the past, we all understand the Bill's past decisions have sucked.

IE (The Redskins spending 180 million on Albert Haynesworth, Deangelo Hall and Derrick Dockery is sensible because ___________. The Bills should have done this because ______________.

I think if you look at it from this perspective it might change how you view this free agent period.

EDS
03-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Obviously just throwing money at a problem doesn't solve it, but the Bills are at the other end of the spectrum. They have quite a bit of room under the cap and have at least two big holes (OLB and guard) in the starting line-up and are in need of a serious infusion of depth. Moreover, they could use an upgrade at several positions.

ddaryl
03-02-2009, 01:59 PM
there were some FA's out there that would have made this team bette.r The 1st one being Jason Brown who probably didn't even want ot waste his time talking to Buffalo, and that is the Owners and FO's fualt for being bumbling baffoons to the point where guys like Brown don't evne answer the phone for a visit...

the Dockery fiasco was definitely a Bills chump. They could have paid him the bonus and then traded him. Its not like we need the cash since we won't even spend cash to cap this year. Those extra picks were worth the bonus hit the Bills would have taken IMO.

the bottom line there were some damn good options out there that would require some investment, they would definitely make this team better, and they would make the fans happy. Now those options are getting extremly narrow.. and we are not a better team in 2009 then were in 2008 at this junction

WeAreArthurMoates
03-02-2009, 02:04 PM
there were some FA's out there that would have made this team bette.r The 1st one being Jason Brown who probably didn't even want ot waste his time talking to Buffalo, and that is the Owners and FO's fualt for being bumbling baffoons to the point where guys like Brown don't evne answer the phone for a visit...

the Dockery fiasco was definitely a Bills chump. They could have paid him the bonus and then traded him. Its not like we need the cash since we won't even spend cash to cap this year. Those extra picks were worth the bonus hit the Bills would have taken IMO.

the bottom line there were and still were some damn good options out there that would require some investment, they would definitely make this team better, and they would make the fans happy. Now those options are getting extremly narrow.. and we are not a better team in 2009 then were in 2008 at this junction

Well seeing you only mentioned Brown begs me to ask the question who else? I for one like Hangartner so I'm happy with the center position. I want a safety badley but there still out there. There was no one tight end or d end that would of helped us.

User Manuel
03-02-2009, 02:07 PM
Well seeing you only mentioned Brown begs me to ask the question who else? I for one like Hangartner so I'm happy with the center position. I want a safety badley but there still out there. There was no one tight end or d end that would of helped us.

There are still plenty of guards still out there that could contribute.

I am surprised that no one has really pointed out how LITTLE free agent activity there has been. A few teams have made splashes, but really, there are a ton of good football players out there, players whose price is dropping by the day.

justasportsfan
03-02-2009, 02:07 PM
Please don't delve into the past, we all understand the Bill's past decisions have sucked.

.why not? Everything is based on whats proven or track record. If we are not allowed to delve on the past then I guess we're just as good as the rest of the AFCE and Pitts.

User Manuel
03-02-2009, 02:09 PM
Obviously just throwing money at a problem doesn't solve it, but the Bills are at the other end of the spectrum. They have quite a bit of room under the cap and have at least two big holes (OLB and guard) in the starting line-up and are in need of a serious infusion of depth. Moreover, they could use an upgrade at several positions.

If they drafted Maualuga, moved Poz outside and traded for Waters or signed Kendall Simmons (if ready) would you say that filled the holes?

User Manuel
03-02-2009, 02:10 PM
why not? Everything is based on whats proven or track record. If we are not allowed to delve on the past then I guess we're just as good as the rest of the AFCE and Pitts.

I am just looking for a different type of discussion. We can rehash the awfulness forever, it wont change it.

Michael82
03-02-2009, 02:17 PM
I think that the Jets are following the Redskins way of doing things and I can't wait to see it bite them in the ass. Afterall....look what the Dan Snyder way has done for the team over the years. Boy, they really have gone far in the playoffs. :rofl:

ddaryl
03-02-2009, 02:17 PM

I would have gone with a few other QB's instead of Fitzgerald for one thing.

Our need for an OLB should have had the Bills going after Scott> Still some servicable vets out there, but I want to win a championship, so us not trying for one of the best OLB's available shows me a lack of desire to win.

We should be all over Phillips at S at this point because he will make the secondary better but yet no contact or invite

I see absolulty no reason not to pusue TJ Housh regardless of cost becuause it will make us better and we basically have money to burn at this point.

I would have broght in Rocky Bernard to improve our DT rotation drastically.

Hopefully we can make a mjor pickup or 2 at OG. heck there are some T available in FA that might make real good G's too. yet no one coming for a visit, and our hopes are pretty much tied ot Simmons who will take much of 2009 to get back up to speed, and a hypothetical trade with KC.

TedMock
03-02-2009, 02:18 PM
There are still plenty of guards still out there that could contribute.

I am surprised that no one has really pointed out how LITTLE free agent activity there has been. A few teams have made splashes, but really, there are a ton of good football players out there, players whose price is dropping by the day.

I think this is the most important point. I've been as unhappy as anybody else that we haven't improved our team over the last several years. This year, everybody is extremely impatient and for very good reason. We are all fed up with the grossly bad to mediocre teams we've had to watch. Now that we're all fed up and waiting for the big splash there aren't any. Why not? Maybe because there aren't any splashes to be made. Seriously. Look at the free agent crop this year. It's not exactly overwhelming. I would be happy with a couple of these aging vets out there, but we still need to draft quality at the same position because of their age. I'm sure we'll sign another OL, but other than Jason Brown, there really aren't any studs out there. Simmons could be, but the injury is a concern. Waters is, but he's not a free agent. There are some good players left and nobody is biting right now. If there were a bunch of grade-A studs out there everybody would be at it. This is the time a team looks for quality B+ players. It's just unfortunate that the timing is what it is.

EDS
03-02-2009, 02:21 PM
If they drafted Maualuga, moved Poz outside and traded for Waters or signed Kendall Simmons (if ready) would you say that filled the holes?

In the starting line-up maybe, but there are no guarantees with a rookie and then you have a guy moving to a new position. Moreover, under your hypothetical, the Bills have not addressed their shortcomings with respect to a pass rush, more productive #2 receiver, depth on the interior of the offensive line, starting caliber tight end, improvement at safety, etc.

WeAreArthurMoates
03-02-2009, 02:29 PM
Our need for an OLB should have had the Bills going after Scott> Still some servicable vets out there, but I want to win a championship, so us not trying for one of the best OLB's available shows me a lack of desire to win.

Screw that, no way am I paying Scott 8 freaking million a season. That is way to much for him. Cost the Jets when they did this with pace and it will be the same with Scott. As I said I too want Jones or Phillips but guess what there still out there. I'll pass on Bernard and would rather take Tank who also is still out there.

mysticsoto
03-02-2009, 02:29 PM

the bottom line there were some damn good options out there that would require some investment, they would definitely make this team better, and they would make the fans happy. Now those options are getting extremly narrow.. and we are not a better team in 2009 then were in 2008 at this junction

Do you want to know what the trade was for? A 7th round pick. So you're telling me that Buffalo should have ate the bonus for a 7th rd pick? Absolutely no way!!! It'd have been nice if we could have made the trade without having to pay the bonus - but alot of that has to be on the Lions too. They contacted Buffalo at 2 PM on the last day and tried to get something done before 4:30 PM...they had alot of time to try and work this out beforehand and instead, start trying to negotiate this at the last minute. The Lions wanted to give Buffalo Kitna for Dockery, but Buffalo had their sights already on Fitzpatrick...so then the negotiating began and finally a 7th rd in 2010 was negotiated. Which was crap anyway...

ddaryl
03-02-2009, 02:31 PM
Do you want to know what the trade was for? A 7th round pick. So you're telling me that Buffalo should have ate the bonus for a 7th rd pick? Absolutely no way!!! It'd have been nice if we could have made the trade without having to pay the bonus - but alot of that has to be on the Lions too. They contacted Buffalo at 2 PM on the last day and tried to get something done before 4:30 PM...they had alot of time to try and work this out beforehand and instead, start trying to negotiate this at the last minute. The Lions wanted to give Buffalo Kitna for Dockery, but Buffalo had their sights already on Fitzpatrick...so then the negotiating began and finally a 7th rd in 2010 was negotiated. Which was crap anyway...

I thought it was a for a higher pick... like a 3rd or 4th... my bad

still won't give the franchise a pass.. on anything... they continually let me down, so basically I give them no breaks until they return us to championship form

User Manuel
03-02-2009, 02:56 PM
In the starting line-up maybe, but there are no guarantees with a rookie and then you have a guy moving to a new position. Moreover, under your hypothetical, the Bills have not addressed their shortcomings with respect to a pass rush, more productive #2 receiver, depth on the interior of the offensive line, starting caliber tight end, improvement at safety, etc.

True.

EDS
03-02-2009, 03:01 PM
I think this is the most important point. I've been as unhappy as anybody else that we haven't improved our team over the last several years. This year, everybody is extremely impatient and for very good reason. We are all fed up with the grossly bad to mediocre teams we've had to watch. Now that we're all fed up and waiting for the big splash there aren't any. Why not? Maybe because there aren't any splashes to be made. Seriously. Look at the free agent crop this year. It's not exactly overwhelming. I would be happy with a couple of these aging vets out there, but we still need to draft quality at the same position because of their age. I'm sure we'll sign another OL, but other than Jason Brown, there really aren't any studs out there. Simmons could be, but the injury is a concern. Waters is, but he's not a free agent. There are some good players left and nobody is biting right now. If there were a bunch of grade-A studs out there everybody would be at it. This is the time a team looks for quality B+ players. It's just unfortunate that the timing is what it is.

I think the Giants are good example of what a team can do - signed some not overly expensive guys who will give them great depth and build upon their strengths.

Canty would have been a fantastic DL for the Bills - he could have played DT on passing downs and end on obvious run downs.

There is no reason the Bills can't upgrade OLB and safety right now with reasonably priced free agents.

User Manuel
03-02-2009, 03:31 PM
I think the Giants are good example of what a team can do - signed some not overly expensive guys who will give them great depth and build upon their strengths.

Canty would have been a fantastic DL for the Bills - he could have played DT on passing downs and end on obvious run downs.

There is no reason the Bills can't upgrade OLB and safety right now with reasonably priced free agents.

I really do like what the Giants have done. Damn.

yordad
03-02-2009, 04:00 PM
I don't get it. It seems like some other teams have a higher cap limit or something. I mean, how the Skins have a spending spree like every year? :wtf:

psubills62
03-02-2009, 04:09 PM
I don't get it. It seems like some other teams have a higher cap limit or something. I mean, how the Skins have a spending spree like every year? :wtf:

I'm really wondering how they managed to sign guys to 70+ million in guarantees when they were one of the teams closest to the cap? Anyone want to help me understand this? Clump?

yordad
03-02-2009, 04:14 PM
I'm really wondering how they managed to sign guys to 70+ million in guarantees when they were one of the teams closest to the cap? Anyone want to help me understand this? Clump?My only guess is there future is completely mortgaged.

Wait, I bet they are banking on next year being uncapped.

OpIv37
03-02-2009, 04:55 PM
Please pick a team and explain why their free agent signing's or Free agent philosophy and why their signing is better (or worse) than what the Bills are currently doing.

IE (The Redskins spending 180 million on Albert Haynesworth, Deangelo Hall and Derrick Dockery is sensible because ___________. The Bills should have done this because ______________.

I think if you look at it from this perspective it might change how you view this free agent period.

I think you missed the point.

The real question is "How have the Bills improved via free agency (or any other moves) this off-season?"

The answer is that they haven't. You can argue all day that none of the FA's signed so far would have improved the Bills, but all that means is that we start next season right where we ended last season: last in the division.