PDA

View Full Version : Heres what I think is happeneing with the Bills

X-Era
03-02-2009, 03:39 PM
I think we have several factors that are preventing us fans from getting too excited.

1) The Bills are perpetually mediocre. Players who might want to come here need to think about that
2) Dick Jauron is on a very short leash. Players wonder if he will be here next year and if he leaves, a guy like Coles might wonder if he doesnt head out the door too, new coaches want their own guys.
3) We wont overpay for free agents just to get them to come here. And when we dont, they look at the other things Im listing and other teams become more attractive.
4) We bank on the draft. Why? players are relatively cheap, and the competition is fair where each team picks based on how bad they are. We end up getting a chance to draft a decent player because they player, nor other teams have any choice in the matter... we pick where we pick and we pick whop we want.

But if all that's true, why not go the trade route more? I agree to build through the draft. But that often means mortgaging now. Havent we seen enough of that here? What did Ellis or Bowen bring to the table last year? Hell even Hardy? We isnt Waters worth more than both to this team right now?

The other thing to remember is that if Marcus Stroud were simply released or allowed to become a free agent. What are the chances then that he signs with us? Very slim. Because other teams will pay him what hes probably worth, he gets to make the choice, and we lose again.

The best chance for this team to add high quality, top tier guys is through trades. We can argue the picks arent as valuable as the new player, we dont have to pay the going rate (like Stroud), and often the player has no choice.

If it works, you add top talent, you get better quicker and become a contender, free agents start to want to come here again. All for the cost of draft picks that may never become anything anyway.

THATHURMANATOR
03-02-2009, 03:43 PM
ok

FlyingDutchman
03-02-2009, 03:47 PM
I think #2 is your best point and I was acutally gonna bring that up. We basically have a lame duck coach who is on his way out if he does not win and get to the playoffs this year. Im sure players know this, and also know how well the Bills have been doing in getting to the playoffs. Its gotta be a tough sell to get big FAs to want to come here.

X-Era
03-02-2009, 03:52 PM
I think #2 is your best point and I was acutally gonna bring that up. We basically have a lame duck coach who is on his way out if he does not win and get to the playoffs this year. Im sure players know this, and also know how well the Bills have been doing in getting to the playoffs. Its gotta be a tough sell to get big FAs to want to come here.

And thats why Im saying going this route may be an option, or even the best option to get better quick.

This isnt a slam on the FO in any way, its a simple thought on OK, what do we do now.

Even if the chips are down, we should be doing everything we can.

Thats why I hope for trades like Daniels or Waters... There are others, I bet, too that may be available.

FlyingDutchman
03-02-2009, 04:17 PM
yeah, FA is def not the way this team will get better unfortunately. We need to make trades to get good, proven players in here, all while not sacrificing our draft. Its a hell of a predicament. Kind of sucks that I feel like we have to force players here by either drafting them or trading for them. I think this is a sign that something has to be done to the FO to get a guy who can sell Buffalo

yordad
03-02-2009, 04:27 PM
I don't think anything is going on. :(

SeatownBillsFan21
03-02-2009, 08:23 PM
I like it trap player to have to come here and play by trading for them that way they have no choice just make sure that there not in contract years.keep our 1st rder and dump the rest of the draft in trading im all in.

bflojohn
03-02-2009, 11:57 PM
The Cleveland Browns dealt away the first three rounds last year and that got Phil Savage and Romeo Crennel FIRED! After being in the playoffs the year before, they simply imploded with the expectations the trades brought to the club. There is a way to use all three avenues, try out a trade scenario, draft well in April and hope your free agents pan out. I believe the answer lies in a three pronged ATTACK! You simply CAN'T put all the eggs in one basket.....

jimbohastle51
03-03-2009, 12:01 AM
The Cleveland Browns dealt away the first three rounds last year and that got Phil Savage and Romeo Crennel FIRED! After being in the playoffs the year before, they simply imploded with the expectations the trades brought to the club. There is a way to use all three avenues, try out a trade scenario, draft well in April and hope your free agents pan out. I believe the answer lies in a three pronged ATTACK! You simply CAN'T put all the eggs in one basket.....

honestly weather we trade away half our draft or not, depending on how this season goes, not only will jauron and ALL his staff be fired, but russ brandon will probably be demoted. no way if what we have done is basically our free agency that he can sell we are a better team to the fans or to ralph.

DrGraves
03-03-2009, 12:03 AM
The priority of this organization is not winning nor has it been for a long time. I am almost embarrassed to call myself a Bills fan and throw all of my support, time, hope, and money into a franchise that can't give the same things back to its fans.