PDA

View Full Version : If Coles signs elsewhere

Bmax
03-02-2009, 09:30 PM
I say bring in Toomer or Hackett. If not try for Holt i would give up a 5th for Him we need to win now...Toomer has some life left. We could pursue a long term replacement with the developement of Hardy, Johnson or in the draft in rd 4-6...You can always find bargins deep in the draft . With Nix on board i think we may have more success finding those diamonds in the rough.

Bmax

Nighthawk
03-02-2009, 09:33 PM
I say bring in Toomer or Hackett. If not try for Holt i would give up a 5th for Him we need to win now...Toomer has some life left. We could pursue a long term replacement with the developement of Hardy, Johnson or in the draft in rd 4-6...You can always find bargins deep in the draft . With Nix on board i think we may have more success finding those diamonds in the rough.

Bmax

I don't think we need more youth at the position. We need a player who can help now. The problem with this organization is that I don't get a good feeling that they have a Plan B.

THATHURMANATOR
03-02-2009, 09:36 PM
I would take Toomer but pass on Hackett. He is constantly injured and never has proven much.

A Veteran that can take pressure off Lee is what is needed.

jpdex12
03-02-2009, 09:36 PM
I don't think we need more youth at the position. We need a player who can help now. The problem with this organization is that I don't get a good feeling that they have a Plan B.

I'll go one step further, I don't think that they have any plan. Fly byt he seat of Ralph's pants. Seriously, I'm sure they have plans but we've seen what the last ten years of plans are like for them.

Tatonka
03-02-2009, 09:40 PM
i think they should focus on other issues if coles doesnt sign.

i think there is a good chance that we can get crabtree in the draft.

DraftBoy
03-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Crabtree or Maclin would be my plan B.

jimbohastle51
03-02-2009, 09:48 PM
i think if coles doesnt sign they will bring in toomer, but it will be for a lesser role than coles would have filled. holt for a conditional 5th would be a steal cause he only has 1 year left on his deal, and i would easily trade a conditional 5th for holt for a year just for steve johnson and james hardy's sake.

THATHURMANATOR
03-02-2009, 09:51 PM
There you go.

After Pettigrew (sp?) What does the TE class look like man?

homeslice5484
03-02-2009, 09:52 PM
get holt!!!

DraftBoy
03-02-2009, 09:56 PM
There you go.

After Pettigrew (sp?) What does the TE class look like man?

Deep and athletic. I can name 7 TE's who can come in and start from Day 1 for us, imo. That's including Pettigrew by the way.

Slim
03-02-2009, 10:00 PM
Holt. And even though he just got in trouble i'd take a waiver on Reggie Williams.

THATHURMANATOR
03-02-2009, 10:04 PM
Deep and athletic. I can name 7 TE's who can come in and start from Day 1 for us, imo. That's including Pettigrew by the way.
Got it. we could address in the 2nd or 3rd no problem then?

What are the next 3 or so best after Pettigrew?

Tatonka
03-02-2009, 10:10 PM
we can address TE in the 3rd and still get a potential top flight TE imho. DB knows more than me about it.. but there are 3 guys that are coming off of injuries that probably would have gone much much higher, but it could definately work in our favor.

1st - Crabtree
2nd - Ziggy Hood (DT) or Unger (C/G/T) - both might take some luck.
3rd - Beckum (TE)

psubills62
03-02-2009, 10:16 PM
I think I'd inquire about Holt, but if it costs more than a 6th (or maybe a conditional 6th or 7th next year?), then wait until the draft. Because the chances that either Crabtree or Maclin will fall to us become larger by the day. The more WR's we miss out on in FA that go to teams drafting ahead of us, the better our 1st round WR prospects become.

psubills62
03-02-2009, 10:17 PM

Really? Pettigrew, Nelson, Cook, Casey...who else? Just curious, don't know many others beyond those.

ServoBillieves
03-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Steve Johnson.

jpdex12
03-02-2009, 10:25 PM

That would be my plan too...both with injuries that have kept them out of the combine and their pro days this year. Besides, it always takes receivers at least two years to really have an effect for their team coming in as rookies.

I would like either of them for the long term but not to help out immediately. You're only going to get them in the first round. So you want to pass on an impact player that can have somewhat of an effect like Orakpo or Brown that we could get at #12 for a WR that is injured and needs a year or two to acclimate to the NFL? Come on Draftboy...

jpdex12
03-02-2009, 10:29 PM

Jesus, no TE starts day one. I'll give you all of my ZB's if you can name three TE's that have gotten drafted and started from day one in the last 5 years...hell 10 years. You can't expect a rookie TE to come right in and throw them to the wolves knowing blocking assignments and routes to run from day one on. It would happen far more oftan then it does if that was the case. Same for WR's.

BILLSROCK1212
03-02-2009, 10:31 PM
DEVERY HENDERSON!!

DraftBoy
03-02-2009, 10:35 PM
Jesus, no TE starts day one. I'll give you all of my ZB's if you can name three TE's that have gotten drafted and started from day one in the last 5 years...hell 10 years. You can't expect a rookie TE to come right in and throw them to the wolves knowing blocking assignments and routes to run from day one on. It would happen far more oftan then it does if that was the case. Same for WR's.

Vernon Davis, Zach Miller, Heath Miller, Alex Smith, Dallas Clark, Jeremy Shockey, Ben Watson.

Ill take those ZB's any time you're ready.

psubills62
03-02-2009, 10:36 PM
That would be my plan too...both with injuries that have kept them out of the combine and their pro days this year. Besides, it always takes receivers at least two years to really have an effect for their team coming in as rookies.

I would like either of them for the long term but not to help out immediately. You're only going to get them in the first round. So you want to pass on an impact player that can have somewhat of an effect like Orakpo or Brown that we could get at #12 for a WR that is injured and needs a year or two to acclimate to the NFL? Come on Draftboy...

Not necessarily, especially if they're first-round WR's. About half of the first-rounder WR's drafted in the past decade have made a fairly significant (i.e. 30 catches, 500+ yards) impact on their team in their rookie year. Maclin and Crabtree are very NFL-ready at this point and would be able to help out from Day 1.

DraftBoy
03-02-2009, 10:37 PM

I dont want a 3-4 OLB to play 4-3 DE. Also Im not just thinking about immediate impact, you do that, you make mistakes. We need to make sure we are taking the best player who will help us out not in 2009 but in 2010 and beyond.

DraftBoy
03-02-2009, 10:37 PM
Really? Pettigrew, Nelson, Cook, Casey...who else? Just curious, don't know many others beyond those.

Ingram, Beckum, and Coffman

psubills62
03-02-2009, 10:39 PM
Ingram, Beckum, and Coffman

Ah, right. I still don't consider Beckum as a TE...why don't teams just draft him as a WR? That's essentially what he is...

DraftBoy
03-02-2009, 10:39 PM
Ah, right. I still don't consider Beckum as a TE...why don't teams just draft him as a WR? That's essentially what he is...

Speed