PDA

View Full Version : If Sanchez or Stafford are available at #11 ...

Mahdi
03-03-2009, 07:24 AM
Do we pass them up?

Dujek
03-03-2009, 07:29 AM
I'd pass, I still believe Edwards can be a successful starter here and there are far more urgent needs to be filled.

DraftBoy
03-03-2009, 07:30 AM
You have to at least consider it.

ddaryl
03-03-2009, 07:33 AM
I wouldn't even consider it...

Mahdi
03-03-2009, 07:37 AM
I actually voted Pass by mistake....

I don't know, its a really tough decision but how would we feel a year or 2 from now when Sanchez and Stafford are lighting it up and we are watching Trent do much of the same he did last season. Trent just doesn't make enough plays for my liking. He plays it safe and that doesn't win games.

Dr. Lecter
03-03-2009, 07:41 AM
Stafford - Definite possibility.

Sanchez - No. I am not sold on him.

I would also consider a trade down in that scenario if there was a juicy offer.

THATHURMANATOR
03-03-2009, 07:55 AM
I seem to never be able to vote on these poles because of the caviots added to the choices.

I say no not because I am sold on Edwards being the answer but because we have so many other concerns.

From what I have read Sanchez sucked balls at the combine. He will be there for sure won't he?

If Stafford is there they may have to at least think about it.

Mahdi
03-03-2009, 07:59 AM
I seem to never be able to vote on these poles because of the caviots added to the choices.

I say no not because I am sold on Edwards being the answer but because we have so many other concerns.

From what I have read Sanchez sucked balls at the combine. He will be there for sure won't he?

If Stafford is there they may have to at least think about it.
Sanchez didnt suck. He was just on par.

THATHURMANATOR
03-03-2009, 08:01 AM
Sanchez didnt suck. He was just on par.
Either way he isn't an Elite option IMO. I wouldn't take him at 11.

Jan Reimers
03-03-2009, 08:05 AM
No QB is ever a sure thing, and we just have too many other holes to fill.

If we don't get a pass rush, some better play in the interior of the O-line, and a few more receiving weapons, Joe Montana incarnate wouldn't help that much.

trapezeus
03-03-2009, 08:21 AM
you guys that want another QB shouldn't be allowed to complain about the fact we can't run the ball well. This team has consistently let the lines go in hopes of finding a new kelly.

Guys winning the superbowl of late have been average QB's. Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer,, etc. You get a good run game, a capable QB, and a good run defense, you are a good team. Finding the one gem of a QB in the draft and hoping he can turn it all around never seems to work.

Philagape
03-03-2009, 08:28 AM
Build up the lines first. A good team with a fair/good QB can go farther than a mediocre/poor team with a franchise QB -- and it's a big IF that any QB drafted will be that.

cocamide
03-03-2009, 08:43 AM
I wonder if we'd be able to trade down if one of them is there. That might be a possibility.

yordad
03-03-2009, 08:52 AM
If Orakpo is gone, with all our holes (as of right now) I would look to trade down.

justasportsfan
03-03-2009, 09:09 AM
I would consider it based on Trents durability and that he tends to have confidence issues when he either losses Peters or Reed.

DBrown77
03-03-2009, 09:09 AM
Is this like the 20th thread like this?

trapezeus
03-03-2009, 09:12 AM
while i have completely lost all faith in our scouts and coaches, my feeling is that if fitzpatrick is capable, but the lines get a better run performance, trent's durability issues will not be a big deal.

This is trent's year to prove everything to us. 1. that he can handle a full season and 2. that last year's middle poor performance was being young and that he can fix it.

I think he's going to show some big steps upward in his game, but will still throw out enough stinkers that everyone will ***** and moan throughout the season.

Mahdi
03-03-2009, 09:27 AM
you guys that want another QB shouldn't be allowed to complain about the fact we can't run the ball well. This team has consistently let the lines go in hopes of finding a new kelly.

Guys winning the superbowl of late have been average QB's. Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer,, etc. You get a good run game, a capable QB, and a good run defense, you are a good team. Finding the one gem of a QB in the draft and hoping he can turn it all around never seems to work.
Last few Qbs to win Superbowl. Manning, Manning, Brady(3), Roethlesberger(2). This has become a QB driven league. It's not enough anymore to just have a QB manage a football game.

Jury is still out on Trent but if Sanchez and Stafford resemble Matt Ryan early on and Trent resembles Trent how would we feel then?

Mad Bomber
03-03-2009, 09:30 AM
We have way too many holes to fill to reach for a QB.

trapezeus
03-03-2009, 09:37 AM
Last few Qbs to win Superbowl. Manning, Manning, Brady(3), Roethlesberger(2). This has become a QB driven league. It's not enough anymore to just have a QB manage a football game.

Jury is still out on Trent but if Sanchez and Stafford resemble Matt Ryan early on and Trent resembles Trent how would we feel then?

point is that the teams around these QB's are good. Maybe this years steelers are a bad example because their line play sucked and they struggled to run. But roethlesberger did it based on experience of being on a good team.

Trent right now is a middle of the road QB. Which when you compare to the bledsoe and losman years, is a huge step up. I think Trent is more than servicable for a year. If the bills can complete their line upgrade on either the offensive or defensive side of the ball, that should let 2010 be a year that you can say, "we need to get a better qb" if 2009 looks bad.

But the truth is that the last couple QB's we had, we traded valuable picks that hurt the team. Bledsoe first round was killer. Losman's bag of picks was even more hurtful. We can't be focused on getting a stellar QB at a no holds barred attitude. It hasn't worked for us.

acehole
03-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Do we pass them up?

No we dont draft them.
a signals yet another rebuild.
b same problems diff qb
c waste of money
d I argued we need to build a team around a qb before subjecting him as the saviour yet again.
e no secret I think trent is not what he is billed as...but he is not sole problem on the 2009 BB.

MY answer is no.

TacklingDummy
03-03-2009, 11:02 AM
Re: If Sanchez or Stafford are available at #11 . It depends.

If Trent turns out to be a bum and the Bills pass on Sanchez or Stafford and they turn out to be good than not drafting them would be a bad move.

If Trent turns out to be good, than not drafting one of them would be a good move.

Hindsight will tell us more in a year.

justasportsfan
03-03-2009, 11:05 AM
It depends.

If Trent turns out to be a bum and the Bills pass on Sanchez or Stafford and they turn out to be good than not drafting them would be a bad move.

If Trent turns out to be good, than not drafting one of them would be a good move.

Hindsight will tell us more in a year.
although it wouldn't be a bad thing to be in the same situation as the chargers when they had Brees and Rivers or the Pats in Brady and Cassel, I doubt we will ever be in the same boat since our coaches haven't proven to produce any good qb's at this point. Either Snachez or Trent would be a great trade bait in the future but I doubt Turks the guy to do anything with either qb's.

DraftBoy
03-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Just to note Bill Polian decided to build his franchise in Indy around a QB and not around the lines first. He did solidify the lines with great talents yes, but if one of the greatest ever talent evaluators can take a QB before the lines are set, I think we'd be ok doing it too. If we had better talent evaluators.

That being said I dont think either Stafford or Sanchez will be the best QB's in this class. In fact I think both have high bust potential.

im8th2buffalo
03-03-2009, 11:14 AM
I would not take either one unless it was to trade them to a team that wanted them more for additional picks or a need player on the Bills.
I don't see that scenario happening, but I would be thrilled to get an additional 2nd round and 4th with next years first round. Something like that might be nice.

Pinkerton Security
03-03-2009, 11:20 AM
i reaally dont like stafford, hes a strong-armed QB who needs work in the decision making and accuracy...JP?

not sure on Sanchez either, idk why but I'd rather stick with Trent for now than take him and start from scratch.

ServoBillieves
03-03-2009, 12:08 PM
OMG WE PASSED UP ON MATT LEINART, FRONT OFFICE WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?

No, we don't even consider taking a QB.

DraftBoy
03-03-2009, 12:11 PM

When are you going to correct your mock in your sig?

Mahdi
03-03-2009, 12:13 PM

Leinart hasn't been given a real shot yet. And on that same note we also passed on Cutler and he is now a probowl QB with a rocket arm that would have been useful in Buffalo weather.

Dr. Lecter
03-03-2009, 12:20 PM
Rocket arms are overrated.

Mahdi
03-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Rocket arms are overrated.
Not the kind that throw for 4526 yards and 25 TDs.

im8th2buffalo
03-03-2009, 01:04 PM
The way thing have been going in this organization, they would probably take one. The would then trade Lynch for Cedric Benson, Poz for A.J. Nicholson, and Lee Evans for Plaxico Burress. Maybe even Jason Peters for Mike Gandy.
Ralph Wilson would then agree to play 2 games in Mexico City to increase the teams' fan base in Mexico. They might also trade out of the 2nd round to get a 5th round pick and Dockery from Washington.

im8th2buffalo
03-03-2009, 01:23 PM
If the front office feels that they are the "Best available" players, they will take one. They say they will not pass on the "Best available" player just to take a player in a position where there is a need. I can understand this to a point, but you have to fill the positions where you need them or how will the team ever improve.

Bill Cody
03-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Sanchez no.

Stafford yes. I say that knowing we need a lot of other things and that Matt is not really NFL ready. He's a kid that would have benefitted a lot from staying in school another year. But that kid has "it". He will be really good eventually although it will probably take a couple years. He doesn't have a good arm he's got a jaw dropping arm and he's calm in the pocket unlike Just Punt. I think he goes #1 to the Lions and it's too bad because he will be fed to the lions. I'd draft him and plan on starting Edwards in year 1 so Stafford can learn for a year. If Edwards pulls a Drew Brees it's all good, we have a decision to make and we'll end up with a great QB and a high pick. If Edwards proves to be a tease we have an awesome plan B. The bottom line is until you're sure you've really addressed the QB position you're screwed in this league so I can't see why this would be a bad move. I like Edwards but he's still a ?.

Assuming Stafford's gone Orakpo is a beautiful fit here.

SoCalBillsFan
03-03-2009, 02:19 PM
Sanchez no.

Stafford yes. I say that knowing we need a lot of other things and that Matt is not really NFL ready. He's a kid that would have benefitted a lot from staying in school another year. But that kid has "it". He will be really good eventually although it will probably take a couple years. He doesn't have a good arm he's got a jaw dropping arm and he's calm in the pocket unlike Just Punt. I think he goes #1 to the Lions and it's too bad because he will be fed to the lions. I'd draft him and plan on starting Edwards in year 1 so Stafford can learn for a year. If Edwards pulls a Drew Brees it's all good, we have a decision to make and we'll end up with a great QB and a high pick. If Edwards proves to be a tease we have an awesome plan B. The bottom line is until you're sure you've really addressed the QB position you're screwed in this league so I can't see why this would be a bad move. I like Edwards but he's still a ?.

Assuming Stafford's gone Orakpo is a beautiful fit here.

I'm going to disagree. Disclaimer I'm a USC fan so I'm biased towards Sanchez (who should have come back, and I don't want the Bills to draft him as he's not ready).

But in no way does Stafford have "it" - in fact that's really my biggest criticism of him. In three years as a starter, his completion percentage was only over 60% this past season. His second year he was under 60 % in 8 of 12 games and under 50% 3 times. Also watching Georgia, he's never be the guy to carry them to victories. He's played pretty lousy in their losses and in big marquee games (Florida, Alabama this year). I don't get the "it" factor at all from him. I see him as the strong armed, physically gifted guy who still hasn't put it all together. And those guys rarely put it all together in the NFL.

If anything, Sanchez has the it factor but needs more experience after only being a starter for one year. Neither of these guys are top 15 material.

We have a lot more pressing concerns than QB anyway.

TonyBlack
03-03-2009, 05:04 PM
usually i would not pass, if we get a good "DE" in the offseason, then we could draft one of them but i dont think neither qb will be available maybe hopefully sanchez will but idk, but if we do, jus let edwards play one more year and see how he does and make sanchez progress if anything happens, good idea tho.