PDA

View Full Version : MY FA update thread for Tuesday

patmoran2006
03-03-2009, 07:59 AM
http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/Pat_Moran/2009/03/03/Bills_Wait_Word_on_Coles_Greer_Today
Put it up there for now, not up on scout.com yet.

If anything interesting develops today, I should hopefully be on top of it. I got a good person to call on in place who will be around today.

patmoran2006
03-03-2009, 08:08 AM
WTF, its my own article its not I can sue myself for copyright violations, lol
------------------------------------------------------

I spoke with a source this morning that tells me the Buffalo Bills are not confident Laveranues Coles is going to sign with the team, and that the club is prepared to investigate other options for landing a number two receiver alongside Lee Evans. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
What’s known is the Bills have an offer on the table to Coles. What’s not is how much the offer is for and how many years, although I'm told it's for three years for around $18-million. According to the source, Roosevelt Barnes, the agent for Coles is seeking a deal of $25-million over four years with at least $10-million being guaranteed. Coles left $6-million on the table with the New York Jets last week to become a free agent. He’s to arrive in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Cincinnati</st1:place></st1:City> this morning and a decision between the Bengals and Bills should come by late this afternoon.<o:p></o:p>
The Bengals are looking towards Coles as a replace for T.J. Houshmandzadeh after he inked a 5-year, $40-million contract with <st1:City><st1:place>Seattle</st1:place></st1:City> yesterday.<o:p></o:p>
I’m told the Bills are still hopeful to land Coles and up until now are the only club to make him an offer, but they’re not prepared to get into a bidding war with the 31-year old. If the Bengals offer Coles a fourth year; I expect him to be a <st1:place>Bengal</st1:place> before the end of the day.<o:p></o:p>
Meanwhile, free agent cornerback Jabari Greer is still on the market after leaving <st1:place><st1:PlaceName>Tampa</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType>Bay</st1:PlaceType></st1:place> without a contract Monday. The Bills have an offer that’s been on the table since last week. While Greer has drawn interest from several teams, he’s been unable to land a deal on par with other cornerback signings. I’ve heard <st1:City><st1:place>New Orleans</st1:place></st1:City> and <st1:City><st1:place>Denver</st1:place></st1:City> may still be in the mix and <st1:place>New England</st1:place> is drawing interest. The Bills are also still in talks with cornerback Drayton Florence. With <st1:City><st1:place>Buffalo</st1:place></st1:City> looking to add a corner with Terrence McGee and first round pick Leodis McKelvin in tow, it’s likely the Bills are getting ready to let McGee walk when he becomes a free agent following the season. Paying for Greer or <st1:City><st1:place>Florence</st1:place></st1:City> now will be less expensive than it’ll cost to keep McGee next year.<o:p></o:p>
I’ve also heard the club is still in contact with guard Kendall Simmons, who visited the club last Friday and as I reported two days ago, the team is interested in Kansas City Pro Bowl guard Brian Waters.<o:p></o:p>
As of early this morning, the Bills don’t have any visits scheduled for today. I’m told they’re looking for resolution on Coles and Greer/Florence so they can proceed with a Plan B.<o:p></o:p>
How much the Bills spend in free agency may come down to Jason Peters. Russ Brandon has exchanged proposals with Peters agent, Eugene Parker. According to a source, Parker has told the Bills he expects Peters to be paid as the AFC’s top offensive tackle. <st1:City><st1:place>Miami</st1:place></st1:City>’s Jake Long currently holds that distinction after the top pick of 2008 signed a 5-year, $57.5-million dollar deal with $30-million guaranteed. <o:p></o:p>
The Bills and owner Ralph Wilson operate under a cash-to-cap, meaning a bonus paid to a player puts the entire bonus into this year’s salary cap rather than spreading it around throughout the life of the contract. I’m told a desire to extend Peters at least in small part is why the club released Derrick Dockery last week. The move saved the Bills $26.5-million over the final five years of Dockery’s contract.<o:p></o:p>
How much the Bills dole out to Peters this year, if they’re able to extend him at all, will essentially determine how much the club will be spending on other players. <st1:City><st1:place>Buffalo</st1:place></st1:City> would like to upgrade the strong safety position and move Donte Whitner to free safety permanently. Sean Jones and Jermaine Phillips are two highly regarded strong safeties on the free agent market, but the Bills are unlikely to pursue either until they know where they stand financially.<o:p></o:p>

THATHURMANATOR
03-03-2009, 08:11 AM
COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT.

Dr. Lecter
03-03-2009, 08:13 AM
3 years, 18 million is a fair offer for Coles.

4 years, 25 million with 10 million guaranteed is really pushing it and is a tad too much, imo.

WeAreArthurMoates
03-03-2009, 08:16 AM
Great stuff Pat so we are really just waiting till this Coles thing is resolved. Doesn't sound promising with Coles but you never know. Frankly I'd rather have Sean Jones or Jermaine Phillips anyways.

ddaryl
03-03-2009, 08:18 AM
Coles is a fool if he thinks he is worth more then 18 million over 3 years.. but Cincy might be desperate enough to offer him 19 million

and teams using a cash to cap philosophy will be less succcessul in the NFL IMO. In 10 years they will show winning percentages of teams who use cash to cap and those that do not, and there will be a noticeable difference in the numbers... I could be wrong, but watching the Bills use it pretty much demonstrates to me why we will never turn our ship around

DraftBoy
03-03-2009, 08:22 AM
If we offered 18 over 3 yrs and he walked. He can keep on walking imo.

patmoran2006
03-03-2009, 08:27 AM
9:26am- I just briefly exchanged messages with Tim Graham, and it was about Bills fans. I asked him about what kind of measure he feels in the leavel of Bills fans being disgrunted right now.. He came back with this simple, yet powerful one liner..

"Bills fans can't get any more disgruntled."

Dujek
03-03-2009, 08:28 AM
If we offered 18 over 3 yrs and he walked. He can keep on walking imo.

Yeah, Coles is worth $6 million per year, but he's not worth any more than that.

patmoran2006
03-03-2009, 08:29 AM
BTW, those numbers are NOT official. I made sure to keep the language very specific. I do not know any exact number the Bills offered, and neither does anybody else (to my knowledge)

"What’s not is how much the offer is for and how many years, although I'm told it's for three years for around $18-million."

patmoran2006
03-03-2009, 08:30 AM
3 years, 18 million is a fair offer for Coles.

4 years, 25 million with 10 million guaranteed is really pushing it and is a tad too much, imo.
Personally, (Just my opinion)- I don't agree.
He still has 2-3 solidly productive years left in him. HE probably doesnt see the 4th year of his contract.. But if they're serious about improving the passing the game and getting Evans a good partner, I think its worth it.

Then again, Coles isn't the only guy out there, but I think he's clearly the best, available right now anyway.

Dr. Lecter
03-03-2009, 08:33 AM
Coles is a fool if he thinks he is worth more then 18 million over 3 years.. but Cincy might be desperate enough to offer him 19 million

and teams using a cash to cap philosophy will be less succcessul in the NFL IMO. In 10 years they will show winning percentages of teams who use cash to cap and those that do not, and there will be a noticeable difference in the numbers... I could be wrong, but watching the Bills use it pretty much demonstrates to me why we will never turn our ship around

Most teams are moving to a cash to cap scenario and in the long run they spend the same amount of money. All they are doing is avoiding having their "credit bubble" burst at some point.

ddaryl
03-03-2009, 08:39 AM
I'd be curious to know what teams are using cash to cap and the ones that are not.. It would be interesting to track this phenomenon

mysticsoto
03-03-2009, 08:50 AM
I say start bringing others in. Right now Coles has no worries and can just wait it out marketing himself to everyone. Put some pressure on him by bringing another in! If not, we've got other positions to look at and deal with.

While I'm glad we're keeping Jason Peters...man...looks like he's going to cost us. I can't see how we'd be able to afford Waters on top of that...

bigbub2352
03-03-2009, 08:50 AM
Coles is an upgrade
I am stunned that even thou they say the y are waiting to see what there finances are after Peters EXT and Coles and Greer that they are not bringing in some other FAs
THis offseason is a joke so far we have depth issues and we need some starters still
im scared to see how bad this team will be next year
How do u Extend your HC and Staff and notgive them the tools to push for the playoffs you are almost setting him up to fail

patmoran2006
03-03-2009, 09:02 AM
10:00AM- heard from a source the Bills wanted to bring in guard Cooper Carlisle for a visit, but he's elected not to and is currently in Oakland trying to do a new deal. Cooper I guess had other teams he planned to visit but cancelled them last night.

WeAreArthurMoates
03-03-2009, 09:04 AM
Damn that would of been a good move. Cooper must like Oakland. Thanks for the info brother.

Forward_Lateral
03-03-2009, 09:17 AM
I think the Bills' are taking the right stance on Coles. Take it, or leave it. The guy is clearly over-valuing himself right now, and if he chooses a bit more money to play in Cincy, let him.

mybills
03-03-2009, 09:21 AM
it’s likely the Bills are getting ready to let McGee walk when he becomes a free agent following the season

:cry:

don137
03-03-2009, 09:28 AM
Thanks Pat.....Peters is good but not sure after how many sacks he gave up last year if he deserves to be the top paid LT in the conference. I think a contract closer to Jordan Gross of 6 yrs 60 million is more realistic than more than Long's contract.
I rather have Greer over Florence. Florence had a bad year last year.
Coles is all about the money at this point. He's getting old and wants the guaranteed money. One can't blame him but I like Buffalo's stance. I think their are enough veteran WR's out their that Buffalo can trade or sign in FA that they can go after if they lose Coles.

Mahdi
03-03-2009, 09:35 AM
I'd be curious to know what teams are using cash to cap and the ones that are not.. It would be interesting to track this phenomenon
Washington is using cash to cap.

Mahdi
03-03-2009, 09:36 AM
10:00AM- heard from a source the Bills wanted to bring in guard Cooper Carlisle for a visit, but he's elected not to and is currently in Oakland trying to do a new deal. Cooper I guess had other teams he planned to visit but cancelled them last night.
DANG!. I had him as my top rated G acquisition in that thread from yesterday. He would be perfect on our line.

WeAreArthurMoates
03-03-2009, 09:41 AM
Really I just wish Buffalo wouldn't stand pat while Coles is holding us for hostage. I would love to get him but we have other holes to fill and would rather upgrade the safety and DT spot. Though that looks like it ain't happening to.

acehole
03-03-2009, 09:48 AM
Really I just wish Buffalo wouldn't stand pat while Coles is holding us for hostage. I would love to get him but we have other holes to fill and would rather upgrade the safety and DT spot. Though that looks like it ain't happening to.

Crabtree is rated as #2 on mayocks board...dont be suprised if the bills draft him.
a. They love value.
b. We need a legit#2
c.They have a history of taking guys with injurys

not my pick just saying.....

Plan b?

Oaf
03-03-2009, 09:57 AM
it’s likely the Bills are getting ready to let McGee walk when he becomes a free agent following the season

:cry:
HAHA! :lolpoint:

We better sign Greer. :mad:

Florence is meh to me. At this point, I am as, if not more excited to, upgrade the SS position along Whitner as I am with the #2 WR spot. I do believe Coles is the last legitimate #2 available and would be willing to show a backended 4 yrs, 30 mill, 6.5 guaranteed offer. Is Clayton or Reggie Williams still available? I would also be fine with Harrison (he's still miles ahead of what Price was.)

Pat, any LBs or TEs on the Bills radar? I know that fixing DE will likely have to come through the draft at this point. Thanks.

T-Long
03-03-2009, 09:59 AM
If Crabtree is there at #11, rest assured he WILL be our pick. The guy is top 5 talent. Seattle obviously is going to pass on him, so I think the Raiders will be the main competition with us to land him. I highly doubt that he drops to us though...

acehole
03-03-2009, 10:03 AM
If Crabtree is there at #11, rest assured he WILL be our pick. The guy is top 5 talent. Seattle obviously is going to pass on him, so I think the Raiders will be the main competition with us to land him. I highly doubt that he drops to us though...

It will be interesting to see playout. At the very least he will entice a team to trade up possibly.....

Mahdi
03-03-2009, 10:08 AM
Absolutely... Crabtree would give this offense credibility assuming Trent gets things going.

Goobylal
03-03-2009, 10:13 AM
I heard the Bills offered Coles $4M a year. I think $6M a year is too much, and 3-years and $25M is a joke.

Mahdi
03-03-2009, 10:16 AM
I heard the Bills offered Coles $4M a year. I think $6M a year is too much, and 3-years and $25M is a joke.
Coles is a 31 yr old WR who doesn't dominate anyone. I hope the Bills dont offer him anything higher than 4 mil.

gggbills
03-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Hey Pat, is this how other teams do it? I mean it seems we are waiting for Coles and Greer or Florence to make our next move. Meantime we seem to be just sitting there, not bringing other players in to, 1. See if they would like to sign with us, or 2. put heat on the Coles, Greer etc.. to make up their minds.

It's like players come to Buffalo, get an offer, and then run around the country using our offer as leverage to get a better one. And all the while, we sit and wait. Something does not seem right about that

patmoran2006
03-03-2009, 10:34 AM
11:30 AM- Just read a report that the Jets have signed Jim Leonhard.

patmoran2006
03-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Hey Pat, is this how other teams do it? I mean it seems we are waiting for Coles and Greer or Florence to make our next move. Meantime we seem to be just sitting there, not bringing other players in to, 1. See if they would like to sign with us, or 2. put heat on the Coles, Greer etc.. to make up their minds.

It's like players come to Buffalo, get an offer, and then run around the country using our offer as leverage to get a better one. And all the while, we sit and wait. Something does not seem right about that
Other teams implement backup plans adjacent to what their trying to accomplish.. I really dont even know what to say regarding us not having more guys in here right now. .I mean, didn't Wilson come right out and say we're not talented enough? How does replacing a backup QB with a backup QB, and replacing a part time starter at center with another part time starter really make us better?

The only thing I can think of is we're really involved with the Peters extension and its taking up a lot of our time and effort.

HHURRICANE
03-03-2009, 10:43 AM
This is the stupidest organization in the history of the NFL.

The Bills "want to upgrade the secondary". WTF.

Your secondary is not the problem, your pass rush is you stupid idiots.

DesertFox24
03-03-2009, 10:43 AM
Is setting aside almost 10% of the cap to Peters really worth it though. I thought paying him anything under 9 million was a good idea but paying that much is crazy.

I love peters and want to keep but maybe not agreeing to a contract might not be that bad of thing because we could trade him for a first and third probably.

bigbub2352
03-03-2009, 10:46 AM
Other teams implement backup plans adjacent to what their trying to accomplish.. I really dont even know what to say regarding us not having more guys in here right now. .I mean, didn't Wilson come right out and say we're not talented enough? How does replacing a backup QB with a backup QB, and replacing a part time starter at center with another part time starter really make us better?

The only thing I can think of is we're really involved with the Peters extension and its taking up a lot of our time and effort.

I dont understand all this talk about Peters tieing everything up, we knew were Peters wanted to be, we cut Dockery, we have alot of time to negoitate a new deal and if i am not mistaken the draft isnt till april 25th, and also mini camps arent for a long time, so why would be be in intense negotiations with Peters now while FA and prime FAs are on the market, Cash to Cap is a joke, so is Ralphy
I will never forget wheN RW in the toronto joke laughed and said we are not good enough, we dont have enough talent
and then this crap....
Sad days we are living

Michael82
03-03-2009, 10:51 AM
This is the stupidest organization in the history of the NFL.

The Bills "want to upgrade the secondary". WTF.

Your secondary is not the problem, your pass rush is you stupid idiots.
It's so obvious what they plan on doing in the draft. Everyone knows that they are going to draft a speedy DE in the first round to fill that major hole.

gggbills
03-03-2009, 10:57 AM
I dont understand all this talk about Peters tieing everything up, we knew were Peters wanted to be, we cut Dockery, we have alot of time to negoitate a new deal and if i am not mistaken the draft isnt till april 25th, and also mini camps arent for a long time, so why would be be in intense negotiations with Peters now while FA and prime FAs are on the market, Cash to Cap is a joke, so is Ralphy
I will never forget wheN RW in the toronto joke laughed and said we are not good enough, we dont have enough talent
and then this crap....
Sad days we are living

You know I have been saying that I want the offer for Coles taken off the table. But perhaps I am wrong. If Peter's is the hold up then yang his offer off the table, he is already under contract.

Point is you cannot just stand pat (not you Pat...smile), and wait for players to sign while they all run around looking for better deals. Whatever is holding us up from bringing other players in......get rid of it right now and get to work. What the heck are these front office people being paid for....to sit around and watch ESPN to see if our Plan A is falling about or not???

Griz78
03-03-2009, 11:01 AM
Saints | Greer to visit Tuesday
Tue, 03 Mar 2009 08:30:54 -0800

Matt Bowen, of The National Football Post, reports free-agent CB Jabari Greer (Bills) will visit the New Orleans Saints Tuesday, March 3, according to a source.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Browns | Greer to visit Tuesday
Tue, 03 Mar 2009 08:25:53 -0800

Matt Bowen, of The National Football Post, reports free-agent CB Jabari Greer (Bills) will visit the Cleveland Browns Tuesday, March 3, according to a source.

yordad
03-03-2009, 11:04 AM
It's so obvious what they plan on doing in the draft. Everyone knows that they are going to draft a speedy DE in the first round to fill that major hole.Thats why they will probably do the opposite. Like draft a RB or something.

circlethewagons
03-03-2009, 11:07 AM
How much the Bills spend in free agency may come down to Jason Peters. Russ Brandon has exchanged proposals with Peters agent, Eugene Parker.[/COLOR]

If thats the case why didn't we take care of this a month ago... BEFORE free agency started?

DraftBoy
03-03-2009, 11:09 AM

Matt Bowen, of The National Football Post, reports free-agent CB Jabari Greer (Bills) will visit the New Orleans Saints Tuesday, March 3, according to a source.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt Bowen, of The National Football Post, reports free-agent CB Jabari Greer (Bills) will visit the Cleveland Browns Tuesday, March 3, according to a source.

I dont see him getting out of either of those places they both badly need a CB.

EDS
03-03-2009, 11:13 AM
It's so obvious what they plan on doing in the draft. Everyone knows that they are going to draft a speedy DE in the first round to fill that major hole.

Let's be honest, we have all discussed what the obvious moves have been in the past and the Bills rarely do the obvious.

DraftBoy
03-03-2009, 11:16 AM

I disagree I actually think they are going to go WR in Round 1.

EDS
03-03-2009, 11:16 AM

Is that the same Matt Bowen who played safety?

patmoran2006
03-03-2009, 11:19 AM

Cool. My guy is still pretty spot on.. I wrote about this early this morning. BTW, I'd be shocked to have Greer back in Buffalo, and im fine with that.

"Meanwhile, free agent cornerback Jabari Greer is still on the market after leaving <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place><st1:PlaceName>Tampa</st1:PlaceName><st1:PlaceType>Bay</st1:PlaceType></st1:place> without a contract Monday. The Bills have an offer that’s been on the table since last week. While Greer has drawn interest from several teams, he’s been unable to land a deal on par with other cornerback signings. I’ve heard <st1:City><st1:place>New Orleans</st1:place></st1:City> and <st1:City><st1:place>Denver</st1:place></st1:City> may still be in the mix and <st1:place>New England</st1:place> is drawing interest"

patmoran2006
03-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Greer is also visiting Cleveland today.

scartown
03-03-2009, 11:25 AM
I disagree I actually think they are going to go WR in Round 1.

I wouldnt mind if they go this route but not at 11. I really hope they trade down and pick up another pick or two. This is really looking like a solid draft class, the more pick the better. Robert Ayers is a player I hope they are looking at at DE, I really like this kid.

patmoran2006
03-03-2009, 11:26 AM
12:24pm: Wow, did Jake Grove get overpaid by <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Miami</st1:place></st1:City>. I just read from Adam Schefter that he got 5 years and $29 million, including $14.5 guaranteed. I think this pretty much means <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Miami</st1:place></st1:City> is done in FA. Moving Satele to guard?

Again though. Busy day for the AFC East.. Miami gets Grove, Jets get Leonhard. Hopefully the Bills get someone?

DraftBoy
03-03-2009, 11:26 AM
I wouldnt mind if they go this route but not at 11. I really hope they trade down and pick up another pick or two. This is really looking like a solid draft class, the more pick the better. Robert Ayers is a player I hope they are looking at at DE, I really like this kid.

He is not the pass rush specialist a lot of people are clamoring for though.

DraftBoy
03-03-2009, 11:27 AM
12:24pm: Wow, did Jake Grove get overpaid by <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Miami</st1:place></st1:City>. I just read from Adam Schefter that he got 5 years and $29 million, including $14.5 guaranteed. I think this pretty much means <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Miami</st1:place></st1:City> is done in FA. Moving Satele to guard?

Again though. Busy day for the AFC East.. Miami gets Grove, Jets get Leonhard. Hopefully the Bills get someone?

I said the same thing in the NFL Zone thread about the signing. That's a **** ton of money for him. And I like Grove a lot.

patmoran2006
03-03-2009, 11:32 AM
12:30: Just got a text, saying the Bills are confident <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on">Cincinnati</st1:City>’s offer to Coles won’t be anything <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:place></st1:City> can’t match. “they didn’t offer TJ five years. They wont offer Coles five. The Bills could add a fourth year if that’s what it takes”<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I believe the Bengals offered TJ 4 years with a trigger that could’ve reached $31 million. At least that’s what I think I read. <o:p></o:p>
Anyone wanna confirm this?<o:p></o:p>

patmoran2006
03-03-2009, 11:33 AM
im getting really sick of trying to track and talk about Coles.

kscdogbillsfan1221
03-03-2009, 11:33 AM
Thats why they will probably do the opposite. Like draft a RB or something.

or a DB from Ohio State.. because we don't have enough of those

DraftBoy
03-03-2009, 11:35 AM
12:30: Just got a text, saying the Bills are confident <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on">Cincinnati</st1:City>’s offer to Coles won’t be anything <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:place></st1:City> can’t match. “they didn’t offer TJ five years. They wont offer Coles five. The Bills could add a fourth year if that’s what it takes”<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I believe the Bengals offered TJ 4 years with a trigger that could’ve reached $31 million. At least that’s what I think I read. <o:p></o:p>

We dont really need to increase our offer to Coles, it was a good fair offer, if Cincy wants to give him four years they can have him.

WeAreArthurMoates
03-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Just got a text, saying the Bills are confident <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on">Cincinnati</st1:City>’s offer to Coles won’t be anything <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:place></st1:City> can’t match. “they didn’t offer TJ five years. They wont offer Coles five. The Bills could add a fourth year if that’s what it takes”<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Anyone wanna confirm this?

I wish I could Pat. With you I'm sick of this Coles talk as well. Wish he would just do something already. Good or bad I just can't wait for it to be resolved.

patmoran2006
03-03-2009, 11:41 AM
12:39PM- I know this is a FA thread, but let me throw a college DE out there. I’ve been told that Tom Modrak is a big fan of Robert Ayers (<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Tenn</st1:place></st1:State>) and there’s a good chance he’s ranked as the top DE on the Bills draft board. I know very little about him.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

jimbohastle51
03-03-2009, 11:44 AM
12:30: Just got a text, saying the Bills are confident <st1:city w:st="on">Cincinnati</st1:city>’s offer to Coles won’t be anything <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:place></st1:city> can’t match. “they didn’t offer TJ five years. They wont offer Coles five. The Bills could add a fourth year if that’s what it takes”<o:p></o:p>

i would assume that buffalo can have him if they want him. the reason TJ got the offer he did from cinci had alot to do with being a fan and team favorite and the emotional atatchment to the city. he means more to cinci than any other city, but just like the bills we will go so far but aparently a couple million was too far for them to go. i still cant believe cinci offered him what they did. i mean he is 32 and eventhough they are a team that resigns and extends there own players i never thought they would make an offer close to were they got to before he chose seattle.

Slim
03-03-2009, 11:45 AM
12:39PM- I know this is a FA thread, but let me throw a college DE out there. I’ve been told that Tom Modrak is a big fan of Robert Ayers (<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Tenn</st1:place></st1:State>) and there’s a good chance he’s ranked as the top DE on the Bills draft board. I know very little about him.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Mayock has a man crush on Ayers as well.

The Jokeman
Crabtree is rated as #2 on mayocks board...dont be suprised if the bills draft him.
a. They love value.
b. We need a legit#2
c.They have a history of taking guys with injurys

not my pick just saying.....

Plan b?
I like Crabtree better than any WR in this draft. That said to think he can immediately step in and be a #2 is questionable at best especially if he won't be able to participate in camp. Look no further then last season rookie WRs. Yes guys like Eddie Royal and DeSean Jackson showed they could be #2s but they were 2 out of how many WRs drafted? I think people expect too much from rookies. Moreso for Bills rookies as we've shown to far from great in drafting recently.

psubills62

So he could end up being similar to his former teammate, Jerod Mayo, and get picked WAY ahead of when people thought he would?

jimbohastle51
03-03-2009, 11:46 AM
12:39PM- I know this is a FA thread, but let me throw a college DE out there. I’ve been told that Tom Modrak is a big fan of Robert Ayers (<st1:state w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Tenn</st1:place></st1:state>) and there’s a good chance he’s ranked as the top DE on the Bills draft board. I know very little about him.<o:p></o:p>

solid but not spectacular DE out of Tennessee. the one good thing about him is his size, he is around 6'3 and over 260lbs., he is a pure 4-3 end. good run stopper but he is not a sack machine like we all want.

patmoran2006
03-03-2009, 11:47 AM
per PFT,
Leonhard is not signed with the Jets and Broncos now making a late push.

scartown
03-03-2009, 11:48 AM

That's what I've heard too. I know he doesn't the top end speed as some other DEs out there but he can take on double teams, secure the edges by keeping plays inside, great hands when taking on blockers. I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Bills uni.

jimbohastle51
03-03-2009, 11:49 AM
per PFT,

in the right scheme he is a great safety. rex ryan loves the kid, i am sure he'll end up with the jets since its obvious rex knows how to use him the best and next to kerry rhodes that will be a nice tandem.

WeAreArthurMoates
03-03-2009, 11:49 AM
12:39PM- I know this is a FA thread, but let me throw a college DE out there. I’ve been told that Tom Modrak is a big fan of Robert Ayers (<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Tenn</st1:place></st1:State>) and there’s a good chance he’s ranked as the top DE on the Bills draft board. I know very little about him

His stats weren't that impressive last year as sacks go (4) but had 15.5 tkls for loss. He was a late bloomer in college but only had one good year so that raises some flags. For 275 pounds he has an amazing first step and can finish. He was so impressive during the seniorbowl week and was the defensive mvp. This kid really does remind me of Tuck when you look at his height/weight and the fact you can slide him inside on passing downs. Def may be to high at 11 but def get him in the high teens. He's my favorite D end in the draft and would love to have him.

WeAreArthurMoates
03-03-2009, 11:53 AM
solid but not spectacular DE out of Tennessee. the one good thing about him is his size, he is around 6'3 and over 260lbs., he is a pure 4-3 end. good run stopper but he is not a sack machine like we all want.

He's def like 270 and while he doesn't get sacks he still puts good pressure on the qb. Def the best left d end prospect in the draft, take him in a trade back or hopefully the 2nd and then snag Phillip Hunt in the 4th.

bigbub2352
03-03-2009, 12:00 PM
per PFT,

I have also heard that the Bills really like Tyson Jackson from LSU DE/DT
got anything on that?

DraftBoy
03-03-2009, 12:09 PM
Some of this has been said, but it bears repeating on Ayers.

Pros:
-Violent Tackler
-Size
-Strong legs
-Punch

Cons:
-Production
-Speed Rush
-Lack of consistent PT in college
-Tackling Technique

Overall:
Ayers is a late riser to the top of the DE class and he's been helped by his co-classmates deciding to stay under the 270 weight range. He is currently my #2 ranked 4-3 DE in this class. He had a solid senior year in college and seems to have finally gotten it as far as begining to realize his potential. He has a really good punch and is not afraid to hit the OT first. He can go both outside and inside on the rush and when he gets a free shot at the ball carrier, he can make it a violent collision. Ayers also holds up very well at the POA and will not easily be moved out on a running play. That being said Ayers was given a lot of freedom at Tennessee to move around and he would line up with his hand down or standing up or off the line. So he doesnt have a ton of snaps as a hand down DE, which is a concern. Ayers biggest issue though is his tackling technique, he tackles high and will lose his grasp. He needs to go back to basics on tackling. He will not ever be a straight up pass rushing DE, but he may be the most complete end coming out right now to play in the 4-3.

Projection: 2nd Round-Top 45 picks

cpearl
03-03-2009, 12:29 PM
Wow, this would be a great 2nd rounder, with Raji at #11.

soapman
03-03-2009, 12:31 PM

Even better with Everette Brown at 11

DraftBoy
03-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Everette Brown is a bad pick for Buffalo. We don't play a 3-4.

Mahdi
03-03-2009, 12:34 PM
He is not the pass rush specialist a lot of people are clamoring for though.
He's more like a Spicer type DE. Solid all-around DE wont wow you with athleticism or sacks.

DraftBoy
03-03-2009, 12:37 PM
He's better than Spicer and more athletic. I think he's closer to a Charles Grant type of a mold.

Mahdi
03-03-2009, 12:40 PM
He's better than Spicer and more athletic. I think he's closer to a Charles Grant type of a mold.
Good comparison.

patmoran2006
03-03-2009, 12:42 PM
1:40PM: Former Bill and current Blogger Matt Bowen made a great point earlier, and potentially not good news for <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:place></st1:City>.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
“Receivers always go where they’re going to get the ball and where they see the best option at the quarterback position. The Bills may lose out in this deal just because Coles has more confidence in Palmer than he would in <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:place></st1:City> quarterback Trent Edwards.”<o:p></o:p>

Slim
03-03-2009, 12:44 PM
1:40PM: Former Bill and current Blogger Matt Bowen made a great point earlier, and potentially not good news for <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:place></st1:City>.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
“Receivers always go where they’re going to get the ball and where they see the best option at the quarterback position. The Bills may lose out in this deal just because Coles has more confidence in Palmer than he would in <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:place></st1:City> quarterback Trent Edwards.”<o:p></o:p>

This has been mentioned on the board. But, both teams are a joke. If it comes down to what offense he wants to play for, we don't have a chance. If it's about the money, then we do.

mysticsoto
03-03-2009, 12:45 PM

Hmmm...I like the sound of that:

FA:

C Hangartner
OG Waters (unlikely, I know)
WR Coles (I can't see anybody bettering our offer to him)
C/OG Preston (resign)

Draft

1. DT Raji
2. DE Ayers
3. TE Cook
4. C AQ Shipley
5. OG Ray Feinga (if we get Waters, we can draft a Guard later)
6. S Trimane Goddard
7. CB DJ Clark

Something like this would reinvigorate my trust in this FO and in the team this season!!!

Nighthawk
03-03-2009, 12:46 PM

He can play in the 4-3...no doubt.

topher180
03-03-2009, 12:52 PM
im getting really sick of trying to track and talk about Coles.

Amen brother. You're doing a great job keeping us all up to date though. Kudos!

trapezeus
03-03-2009, 12:54 PM
Hmmm...I like the sound of that:

FA:

C Hangartner
C/OG Preston (resign)

Draft

1. DT Raji
2. DE Ayers
3. TE Cook
4. C AQ Shipley
5. OG Ray Feinga (if we get Waters, we can draft a Guard later)
6. S Trimane Goddard
7. CB DJ Clark

Something like this would reinvigorate my trust in this FO and in the team this season!!!

to get waters, you have to give up a pick in the draft. so someone on your draft board isn't going to get picked.

bigbub2352
03-03-2009, 12:57 PM
I have heard on more than one occasion the Bills really like Tyson Jackson from LSu cause he is a good tweener for DE/DT for our **** bag cover 2

Nighthawk
03-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Some of this has been said, but it bears repeating on Ayers.

Pros:
-Violent Tackler
-Size
-Strong legs
-Punch

Cons:
-Production
-Speed Rush
-Lack of consistent PT in college
-Tackling Technique

Overall:
Ayers is a late riser to the top of the DE class and he's been helped by his co-classmates deciding to stay under the 270 weight range. He is currently my #2 ranked 4-3 DE in this class. He had a solid senior year in college and seems to have finally gotten it as far as begining to realize his potential. He has a really good punch and is not afraid to hit the OT first. He can go both outside and inside on the rush and when he gets a free shot at the ball carrier, he can make it a violent collision. Ayers also holds up very well at the POA and will not easily be moved out on a running play. That being said Ayers was given a lot of freedom at Tennessee to move around and he would line up with his hand down or standing up or off the line. So he doesnt have a ton of snaps as a hand down DE, which is a concern. Ayers biggest issue though is his tackling technique, he tackles high and will lose his grasp. He needs to go back to basics on tackling. He will not ever be a straight up pass rushing DE, but he may be the most complete end coming out right now to play in the 4-3.

Projection: 2nd Round-Top 45 picks

I'll pass...we have guys that can't rush the passer...do we honestly need another?

mysticsoto
03-03-2009, 01:08 PM
to get waters, you have to give up a pick in the draft. so someone on your draft board isn't going to get picked.

Yeah, I think I heard a 3rd might be required. And maybe more (a 5th also?). In any case, I don't even think Cook would be available in the 3rd anyway...so I'll revise it. I'd still be happy with something like the following:

FA:

C Hangartner
C/OG Preston (resign)

Draft

1. DT Raji
2. DE Ayers
3. (traded for Waters)
4. C AQ Shipley
5. (traded for Waters)
6. TE Dan Gronkowski (not b'cse I like him but b'cse the Bills do)
7. FB Zeek Zacharie

Undrafted:

OG Ryan Durand (from Syracuse)
OLB Kevin Akins
CB DJ Clark
S Reshard Langford

soapman
03-03-2009, 01:15 PM

Neither does FSU.

DesertFox24
03-03-2009, 01:16 PM
Ayers showed a good amount of moves at the senior bowl in terms of pass rushing moves. He could also line up as a LE and he would be a solid pick for us in my opinion.

Michael82
03-03-2009, 01:17 PM
Sounds like they made him their #1 target all along, just like they did with Kawika Mitchell last year and Derrick Dockery a few years ago.

T-Long
03-03-2009, 01:25 PM
PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT....what do you got

shelby
03-03-2009, 01:27 PM
thanks for keeping us updated guys.

WeAreArthurMoates
03-03-2009, 01:31 PM
Seriously, I'm a newbie to this site but this is the one I'm checking out now for updates. Keep it rollen fellas.

patmoran2006
03-03-2009, 01:33 PM
PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT....what do you got
Brother, trust me I wish I had something for you guys. It’s really hard to get anything noteworthy when you’re trying to cover a team that by all accounts, is doing absolutely positively NOTHING over the past few days. No visits, no announced contract talks, no press conferences, nothing.. The team hasn’t made Jauron, Brandon or anyone else in the FO available to the media either lately, not even Modrak to talk about the draft.. Nothing. It’s been a ghost town at OBD the past 48-72 hours and trust me a lot of writers covering them, both big and small are getting very frustrated.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
And I’ll tell you this.. The team is a losing Coles away from getting a hammering of the ages from Sullivan in the Buffalo News and Sal from the Rochester D&C. I keep hearing over and over again how Ralph Wilson just said what he had to say to diffuse the situation when he retained Jauron (I’m referring to our lack of talent and we have to get better players speech)<o:p></o:p>

bigbub2352
03-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Brother, trust me I wish I had something for you guys. It’s really hard to get anything noteworthy when you’re trying to cover a team that by all accounts, is doing absolutely positively NOTHING over the past few days. No visits, no announced contract talks, no press conferences, nothing.. The team hasn’t made Jauron, Brandon or anyone else in the FO available to the media either lately, not even Modrak to talk about the draft.. Nothing. It’s been a ghost town at OBD the past 48-72 hours and trust me a lot of writers covering them, both big and small are getting very frustrated.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
And I’ll tell you this.. The team is a losing Coles away from getting a hammering of the ages from Sullivan in the Buffalo News and Sal from the Rochester D&C. I keep hearing over and over again how Ralph Wilson just said what he had to say to diffuse the situation when he retained Jauron (I’m referring to our lack of talent and we have to get better players speech)<o:p></o:p>

Couldnt agree more Pat, i said this in this thread on page 2 or 3
this is seriously a joke
and they are diggin there own grave when season ticket holder tell them to go **** themselves

Slim
03-03-2009, 01:42 PM
Pat, you have some haters.

http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthread.php?p=2088550&posted=1#post2088550

patmoran2006
03-03-2009, 01:46 PM
That's nothing.. Usually get it plenty worse.

theanswer74
03-03-2009, 01:49 PM
That's nothing.. Usually get it plenty worse.

Most NFL insiders aren't going to have a photoshopped picture of Ralph Wilson as scrooge.

Slim
03-03-2009, 01:50 PM
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog09&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ac78cbe8a-2b47-436d-a33e-623f9b65de7cPost%3a914278dd-44bc-4cb3-8fbc-55309a416a6c&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com
Coles leaves Cinci?

patmoran2006
03-03-2009, 01:52 PM
Most NFL insiders aren't going to have a photoshopped picture of Ralph Wilson as scrooge.
LOL
1- I certainly do not consider myself a NFL insider.. I got the Dockery and Hangartner news from a source.

2- Dont dis my avatar. That's why I love BZ. This is my place to hang out, hide out and talk all the smack in the world. and There are a lot of writers with big names on these boards. Incognito.. I'm not important enough to not be able to use my real name.

Slim
03-03-2009, 01:54 PM
LOL
1- I certainly do not consider myself a NFL insider.. I got the Dockery and Hangartner news from a source.

2- Dont dis my avatar. That's why I love BZ. This is my place to hang out, hide out and talk all the smack in the world. and There are a lot of writers with big names on these boards. Incognito.. I'm not important enough to not be able to use my real name.

If you do get the Waters trade right. You'll be a God over there.

WeAreArthurMoates
03-03-2009, 01:58 PM
<TABLE class=tborder id=post2837083 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 width=175></TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_2837083><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 10px; WIDTH: 100%" align=left><!-- icon and title -->Re: MY FA update thread for Tuesday <!-- Start Post Thank You Hack -->http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/bzstyle2/buttons/post_thanks.gif (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?do=post_thanks_add&p=2837083) <!-- End Post Thank You Hack -->
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<HR style="COLOR: #f3f3ff" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com (http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog09&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ac78cbe8a-2b47-436d-a33e-623f9b65de7cPost%3a914278dd-44bc-4cb3-8fbc-55309a416a6c&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com)
Coles leaves Cinci?

Interesting sounds like there's no way Coles signed with them if he already left town. Hope his next stop is here to sign the deal.

patmoran2006
03-03-2009, 02:01 PM
If you do get the Waters trade right. You'll be a God over there.yer right, though I never reported we were going to trade for him.. I reported that we were interested in him, so official confirmation from a Bills or Chiefs official should be sufficient enough.

DraftBoy
03-03-2009, 02:04 PM
I'll pass...we have guys that can't rush the passer...do we honestly need another?

And you deciphered that because I said what exactly to say he can't rush the passer?

DraftBoy
03-03-2009, 02:05 PM
Neither does FSU.

Yes but this is not college football. The NFL doesnt have the ROV position either just because he did one thing in college does not mean it will work in the NFL.

LifetimeBillsFan
03-03-2009, 02:07 PM
You've got to love the first two comments that have been left in response to this report on their website:

<TABLE class=Comments_Table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=" Comments_TableRowColor"><TD class=Comments_TableRight>Redguy25 (http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=afdb6ddc0b6f4758a9025c8078290d38&plckUserId=afdb6ddc0b6f4758a9025c8078290d38) wrote:
I find it funny that guys would rather sign as backups on other teams than as starters in cincy.
3/3/2009 2:34 PM EST on Cincinnati.com
<TABLE class=Comments_NestedTable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=Comments_NestedRecommend>Recommend (http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog09&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ac78cbe8a-2b47-436d-a33e-623f9b65de7cPost%3a914278dd-44bc-4cb3-8fbc-55309a416a6c&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com#none)
</TD><TD class=Comments_NestedReport>Report Abuse (http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog09&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ac78cbe8a-2b47-436d-a33e-623f9b65de7cPost%3a914278dd-44bc-4cb3-8fbc-55309a416a6c&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com#none)
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR class=" Comments_TableAltRowColor"><TD class=Comments_UserImage>http://sitelife.cincinnati.com/ver1.0/Content/images/store/1/13/b15ee508-237c-4a16-8d5e-394eef96e0bf.Small.jpg (http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=7cde8b69610e45c2991a96e53797518b&plckUserId=7cde8b69610e45c2991a96e53797518b) </TD><TD class=Comments_TableRight>botkins (http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=7cde8b69610e45c2991a96e53797518b&plckUserId=7cde8b69610e45c2991a96e53797518b) wrote:
We lost our WR (which I'm happy about), we have no legit C or O-Line for that matter, no starting RB and here we are worrying about a backup QB.

They could have been copied straight out of any number of posts on this messageboard over the last couple of days! :lol:

DraftBoy
03-03-2009, 02:07 PM
He can play in the 4-3...no doubt.

Not at his current weight he can't. He is a great stand up speed rusher. With limited inside moves. He has balance issues and can be moved out of the way at the POA. Stop me when you see something that says that he can play in the 4-3 and be a good DE. Playing in it is one thing, hell you can play in it. But can he be successful in it? At this point I dont see it, not at an NFL level.

psubills62
03-03-2009, 02:17 PM
I'm interested to see what our new DL coach Sanders can do with young talent at DE like Ellis and whoever we get in the draft. He could maybe help Ayers be more productive on passing downs.

BrockportFaith
03-03-2009, 02:18 PM
Not at his current weight he can't. He is a great stand up speed rusher. With limited inside moves. He has balance issues and can be moved out of the way at the POA. Stop me when you see something that says that he can play in the 4-3 and be a good DE. Playing in it is one thing, hell you can play in it. But can he be successful in it? At this point I dont see it, not at an NFL level.

I may be ignorant, but I've spent time looking at his highlights and most of the time he's playing in a 4-3 alignment as a DE with his hand down. He's got a pretty wicked inside spin move as well. And how big is Dwight Freeney? Not much different in size from Brown, right?

And Pat, thanks for the updates. I've had this open in Firefox for the past two or three days since I learned about the threads. Thanks!!!

ct bills fan
03-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Yep thanks Pat for all your posting. I tend to peruse all four main Bills site, but, this week I've been mainly on this one. I don't know if your source is real (hope it is), but, my gut says he is.

Slim
03-03-2009, 02:32 PM
this thread is about FA not the draft.

Saratoga Slim
03-03-2009, 02:35 PM
I have heard on more than one occasion the Bills really like Tyson Jackson from LSu cause he is a good tweener for DE/DT for our **** bag cover 2

Yes, Perry Fewell said this himself in an interview with Pat Kirwin on Sirius.

soapman
03-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Yes but this is not college football. The NFL doesnt have the ROV position either just because he did one thing in college does not mean it will work in the NFL.

So let me get this straight, you equate having a ROV position in college with the 3-4 defense? Even though there are technically still 4 lineman with no blitz its just 4 rushers? Hmmm.

Secondly, you say he did one thing in college and he may not be able to do it in the pros but you think he can magically play in a 3-4 which he has never done in college? Hmmm. Interesting...

DRAFTboy is it? Hmmm.....

DraftBoy
03-03-2009, 02:44 PM
I may be ignorant, but I've spent time looking at his highlights and most of the time he's playing in a 4-3 alignment as a DE with his hand down. He's got a pretty wicked inside spin move as well. And how big is Dwight Freeney? Not much different in size from Brown, right?

And Pat, thanks for the updates. I've had this open in Firefox for the past two or three days since I learned about the threads. Thanks!!!

Not ignorant, but to compare players in college how can be dominant despite size requirements and thinking they can have compareable results in the pros is not an easy conclusion to make. Brown is almost the exact same size as Kamerion Wimbley coming out who also played a lot fo 4-3 at FSU as a DE. He was a speed rusher predominanty. Never played the 3-4 before in that alignment but had played as a stand up 4-3 end like Brown has. Perfect fit for Cleveland too as a 3-4 OLB. Ware also was a 4-3 DE who was undersized by pro standards moved to 3-4 OLB and is no dominant. Merriman is another. Brown fits these comparisons to a T.

Freeney was shorter and heavier than Brown coming out. Brown is around 250, Freeney was over 260. Plus Freeney specialized on inside and outside moves. You make a good point about Brown's spin move and its good when he uses it right, but its not technically sound. He gets off balance and can be pushed over when using it. NFL coaches will see that and counteract it pretty easily. It looks good on film because he is so damn fast with it, but he's off balance and it wont be as effective at the pro level.

DraftBoy
03-03-2009, 02:44 PM
this thread is about FA not the draft.

Its about both now.

soapman
03-03-2009, 02:45 PM
BTW Everet Brown - 252
Dwight Freeney - 268 PROBOWL
Robert Mathis - 245 PROWBOWL
Demarcus Ware - 252 PROWBOWL

Hmmm...

Really? DRAFTboy? Hmmm...

soapman
03-03-2009, 02:46 PM
Its about both now.

My thoughts exactly...

DraftBoy
03-03-2009, 02:47 PM
So let me get this straight, you equate having a ROV position in college with the 3-4 defense? Even though there are technically still 4 lineman with no blitz its just 4 rushers? Hmmm.

Secondly, you say he did one thing in college and he may not be able to do it in the pros but you think he can magically play in a 3-4 which he has never done in college? Hmmm. Interesting...

DRAFTboy is it? Hmmm.....

No Im equating players may play one position in college but then don't in the pros. He actually played a good bit as a stand up 4-3 end in college too. He didnt always have his hand on the ground but recent history shows us that undersized 4-3 College DE's make great 3-4 LBs in the pros (Merriman, Ware, Wimbley, etc..).

That's clever, what you did with my name and so original!! How did you ever come up with that?

Michael82
03-03-2009, 02:47 PM
so pat....what's the latest? Coles left Cincy? Will he a Bill tonight or tomorrow morning?

DraftBoy
03-03-2009, 02:48 PM
BTW Everet Brown - 252
Dwight Freeney - 268 PROBOWL
Robert Mathis - 245 PROWBOWL
Demarcus Ware - 252 PROWBOWL

Hmmm...

Really? DRAFTboy? Hmmm...

Ware is a 3-4 OLB. And we've been over this all before, go to the Scouting Zone to see the arguments. Im not going to re-spell things out and waste posters time.

soapman
03-03-2009, 02:49 PM
That's clever, what you did with my name and so original!! How did you ever come up with that?

Well I've been practicing thanks for noticing...

clumping platelets
03-03-2009, 02:49 PM
:popcorn:

Mski
03-03-2009, 02:51 PM
:goodpost:

patmoran2006
03-03-2009, 02:55 PM
I got nothing right now other than what we already all know; Coles is done with his visit in Cinci. If I said anything else right now it would be 100% speculation.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

soapman
03-03-2009, 02:55 PM
Ware is a 3-4 OLB. And we've been over this all before, go to the Scouting Zone to see the arguments. Im not going to re-spell things out and waste posters time.

Well you've certainly wasted enough of mine with this weak argument. So 1 out of the 3 probowlers that I mentioned plays in the 3-4. What about the other undersized ends that play on the same d-line. Your gonna say that the Freeney is a beast because he has 10lbs on him? Hmmm....

Michael82
03-03-2009, 02:57 PM
I got nothing right now other than what we already all know; Coles is done with his visit in Cinci. If I said anything else right now it would be 100% speculation.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
What do you speculate? I speculate that the Bills will sign him tonight and have a Press Conference introducing him tomorrow at 11am.

Slim

Its' slow as **** on here. I'm down for some speculation.

patmoran2006
Benson signed with the Bengals.

patmoran2006
03-03-2009, 02:59 PM
Its' slow as **** on here. I'm down for some speculation.
Well, if your looking for speculation my friend.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I truly think Coles is going to be a Bill, and maybe even in time for me to watch American Idol tonight (on purpose, too)<o:p></o:p>

Slim
03-03-2009, 02:59 PM
Benson signed with the Bengals.

I don't think thats a bad move. He played well at the end of the season with a BAD oline. They just need to draft a RB in the 2nd and 3rd.

Mski
03-03-2009, 03:00 PM
any chance if he stays out there long enough we could bring in Rex #14 for a visit? i know we already signed fitz, but if he's out there in a a week or two?

Slim
03-03-2009, 03:01 PM
Well, if your looking for speculation my friend.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I truly think Coles is going to be a Bill, and maybe even in time for me to watch American Idol tonight (on purpose, too)<o:p></o:p>
My fiancee watches that as well. I usally just sit on the couch with the laptop.

Back to Coles: I just hope no one else has called him.

Mski
03-03-2009, 03:02 PM
My fiancee watches that as well. I usally just sit on the coach with the laptop.

Back to Coles: I just hope no one else has called him.

and the coach is comfortable with you sitting on him? :ill:

Slim
03-03-2009, 03:03 PM
My fiancee prefers sitting on Dick more than i do.

Dr. Lecter
03-03-2009, 03:04 PM

Let's not judge. If Mski is happy, we should not care.

patmoran2006
4:04PM: I finally found out SOMETHING about Jermaine Phillips, someone I’ve been praying we’d look at.. But it’s not good news. I just heard that he is in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">San Diego</st1:place></st1:City> visiting with the Chargers and is already close to a deal. I’m pretty shocked we didn’t go after him.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

clumping platelets
:tap:

Dr. Lecter

You just lost the respect I had gained for you in the past 5 days.

Slim
03-03-2009, 03:05 PM
4:04PM: I finally found out SOMETHING about Jermaine Phillips, someone I’ve been praying we’d look at.. But it’s not good news. I just heard that he is in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">San Diego</st1:place></st1:City> visiting with the Chargers and is already close to a deal. I’m pretty shocked we didn’t go after him.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Ha, i actually don't mind Scott at SS... That being said, i would still LOVE Sean Jones.

bigbub2352
03-03-2009, 03:07 PM
Ha, i actually don't mind Scott at SS... That being said, i would still LOVE Sean Jones.
i couldnt agree more

Dr. Lecter
03-03-2009, 03:08 PM
For all of the crappy moves the Bills have made the last few years, signing Scott in mid-season was great. Finding a guy like that after the season starts is rare.

patmoran2006
03-03-2009, 03:09 PM
Benson’s deal is for 2 years and 7 million..

patmoran2006
03-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Per fox sports, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Preston</st1:place> is visiting with the Raiders<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Slim
03-03-2009, 03:15 PM
Per fox sports, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Preston</st1:place> is visiting with the Raiders<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

So is Fowler.

THATHURMANATOR
03-03-2009, 03:15 PM
Preston is a FRAUD!

psubills62
03-03-2009, 03:17 PM
For all of the crappy moves the Bills have made the last few years, signing Scott in mid-season was great. Finding a guy like that after the season starts is rare.

I have been very surprised at how consistent he's played. I wouldn't really mind him being the starter, but I think I'd rather have him as great depth.

Mr. Pink
03-03-2009, 03:19 PM
No Corey...

Fowler is THE fraud.

Slim
03-03-2009, 03:32 PM
I'm going to lose my mind if i hear "We'll find out by the end of they day" agian.

THATHURMANATOR
03-03-2009, 03:33 PM
No Corey...

Fowler is THE fraud.
Oh yeah

shelby
03-03-2009, 03:35 PM
i don't know if it was posted in this thread yet, but the Bills re-signed FB Corey McIntyre....:meh:

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/bills-re-sign-fb-mcintyre/75fd5804-a658-45e0-a0c4-6b75b989d5be

Mski
03-03-2009, 03:37 PM
got that v-txt about 1:30

Dr. Lecter
03-03-2009, 03:39 PM
i don't know if it was posted in this thread yet, but the Bills re-signed FB Corey McIntyre....:meh:

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/bills-re-sign-fb-mcintyre/75fd5804-a658-45e0-a0c4-6b75b989d5be

I think I just orgasmed.

SquishDaFish
03-03-2009, 03:40 PM
Thanx Lecter just what I wanted to know LOL

patmoran2006
03-03-2009, 03:42 PM
So that’s why the FO has been so quiet.. We been working at getting McIntyre resigned!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Slim
03-03-2009, 03:43 PM
So that’s why the FO has been so quiet.. We been working at getting McIntyre resigned!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Wasn't the CM story broke like a week ago? Why are we just now getting a text..

psubills62
03-03-2009, 03:49 PM
Wasn't the CM story broke like a week ago? Why are we just now getting a text..

That's what I thought...I thought this was news a week ago?

WeAreArthurMoates
03-03-2009, 03:49 PM
Bengals just resigned Benson so there's goes coles money.

patmoran2006
03-03-2009, 03:51 PM
4:49PM: Some potentially big news. L. Coles not only left Cinci without a deal today, but I just heard that at around 3:45pm the Bills were on the phone with Roosevelt Barnes (his agent). I hate speculating when I’m supposed to be providing “reports”, but I think this is getting done in the next few hours or they are going to walk away from him.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

patmoran2006
03-03-2009, 03:51 PM
Bengals just resigned Benson so there's goes coles money.Benson only got 7 million over 2 years.

Slim
03-03-2009, 03:53 PM
4:49PM: Some potentially big news. L. Coles not only left Cinci without a deal today, but I just heard that at around 3:45pm the Bills were on the phone with Roosevelt Barnes (his agent). I hate speculating when I’m supposed to be providing “reports”, but I think this is getting done in the next few hours or they are going to walk away from him.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Pat, if your wrong im going to start multiple "Patrick Moran smokes pole" threads on BBMB.

patmoran2006
03-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Pat, if your wrong im going to start multiple "Patrick Moran sucks pole" threads on BBMB.
if Coles isn't a Bill tomorrow, they should be on the phone with Toomer and be finished with him, for good.

You cant let a player string you along and just wait for more teams to call for visits/offers.

raphael120
03-03-2009, 03:59 PM
Heeere we go.......
heeere we go...
Here we go....
Buffalo...
Here we go...
Coles gonna get us to the Super Bowl.

Slim
03-03-2009, 03:59 PM
if Coles isn't a Bill tomorrow, they should be on the phone with Toomer and be finished with him, for good.

You cant let a player string you along and just wait for more teams to call for visits/offers.

Coles gets me alot more excited than Toomer does.

X-Era
03-03-2009, 04:03 PM
Coles gets me alot more excited than Toomer does.

Thank god, Im not the only one who feels that way.

I have never bee a big fan of him.

No, I would try the trade for Holt and then if that doesnt work think long and hard about Crabtree or Maclin.

yordad
03-03-2009, 04:04 PM
I'm going with the "OpiV" approach; assume they aren't going to sign him so I can be pleasantly surprised if they do.

:lol:

Slim
03-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Thank god, Im not the only one who feels that way.

I have never bee a big fan of him.

No, I would try the trade for Holt and then if that doesnt work think long and hard about Crabtree or Maclin.

I agree with Holt. I've had a man crush on Reggie Williams since draft day. Even though he just got arrested. If i were the Bills id look at him.

Slim
03-03-2009, 04:05 PM
I'm going with the "OpiV" approach; assume they aren't going to sign him so I can be pleasantly surprised if they do.

:lol:

you can never be dissapointed if you expect the worse...

Unless your a Bills fan.

patmoran2006
I agree with Holt. I've had a man crush on Reggie Williams since draft day. Even though he just got arrested. If i were the Bills id look at him.I thought he signed somewhere already.

Mudflap1
Pat,

I very much appreciate the updates. You used to take a lot of flack (granted there were guys like ICE that were lurking around), but you've really come through for us with reliable information that we otherwise would not have. You're no Junior Journalist in my book!

Nevertheless, I really don't like that we are all (myself included) clinging on the hope of Coles becoming a Bill. Granted, he's always been a solid, if not pretty good player. However, I fear he may not be a difference-maker anymore.

I would like the guy on the team, but he's not going to be the savior. The Bills have a lot more needs than Coles. A TE is sorely needed, a LG, a pass-rushing DE, at least one more LB (maybe two), and a SS. Even after Coles, I think the Bills still might need another WR. Coles will go over the middle and make tough catches, but the Bills overall still will have small receivers (with the exception of Hardy... who was horrendous last year... although I'll give him some time because he's young).

It's just so disappointing (again!) that Ralph Wilson chooses to blow the fans off by saying the team sorely lacks talent, and doesn't put his money where his mouth is. Coles is a start, but what else is there? Sure, the Bills will draft some guys, but so will every other team. The Bills are in a competition in their division, and are dead last right now, 0-6 last year, and haven't gained any ground, and in fact have lost ground.

Jon

raphael120
03-03-2009, 04:07 PM
Mudflap,

I think you underestimate what having a capable offense that can keep your defense off the field and fresh can do to a team overall.

Slim
03-03-2009, 04:09 PM
I thought he signed somewhere already.
He signed in with the police station a few days ago... I don't beleive anywhere else though.

Slim
03-03-2009, 04:10 PM
Kevin Jones visiting tomorrow..

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

X-Era
03-03-2009, 04:10 PM
Pat,

I very much appreciate the updates. You used to take a lot of flack (granted there were guys like ICE that were lurking around), but you've really come through for us with reliable information that we otherwise would not have. You're no Junior Journalist in my book!

Nevertheless, I really don't like that we are all (myself included) clinging on the hope of Coles becoming a Bill. Granted, he's always been a solid, if not pretty good player. However, I fear he may not be a difference-maker anymore.

I would like the guy on the team, but he's not going to be the savior. The Bills have a lot more needs than Coles. A TE is sorely needed, a LG, a pass-rushing DE, at least one more LB (maybe two), and a SS. Even after Coles, I think the Bills still might need another WR. Coles will go over the middle and make tough catches, but the Bills overall still will have small receivers (with the exception of Hardy... who was horrendous last year... although I'll give him some time because he's young).

It's just so disappointing (again!) that Ralph Wilson chooses to blow the fans off by saying the team sorely lacks talent, and doesn't put his money where his mouth is. Coles is a start, but what else is there? Sure, the Bills will draft some guys, but so will every other team. The Bills are in a competition in their division, and are dead last right now, 0-6 last year, and haven't gained any ground, and in fact have lost ground.

Jon

Completely agree. Its sad when Im refreshing all day because our biggest news is trying to sign a solid #2 WR.

Again, I dont want Skins or Cowboys moves, I want quality moves and yes ones that mean spending money at times.

I know there wasnt alot out there this year, but several guys could have helped.

Even if we sign Coles or trade for Holt, we added 2 holes in our O (as far as starters), and added one significant upgrade... thats not enough IMO.

patmoran2006
03-03-2009, 04:11 PM
At least we got a visit coming tomorrow (with Kevin Jones)

Slim
03-03-2009, 04:13 PM
At least we got a visit coming tomorrow (with Kevin Jones)
Bills are making a 3rd RB a pretty high priority this offseason.

patmoran2006
03-03-2009, 04:13 PM
Im out..

I"m not posting anymore until L. Coles is a Buffalo Bill!!
Hint- I'll be back soon. I think

Coles wears #87 right? Hmmm, I'm not coming back for up to 87 hours before he signs.. But I'm not going to have to wait that long.

(that is my message board lingo)--

Out!

Slim
03-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Im out..

Hint- I'll be back soon.

Coles wears #87 right? Hmmm, I'm not coming back for up to 87 hours before he signs.. But I'm not going to have to wait that long.

Out!

John Stupar is 87. is this legit info?

Mski
03-03-2009, 04:18 PM
Im out..

Hint- I'll be back soon. I think

Out!

that sounds alot like ""unofficial"" ""i cant really say anything"" insider speculation.... then again it could all be hogwash

Slim
03-03-2009, 04:19 PM
This feels like the nfl equivalent of getting blue balls.

THATHURMANATOR
03-03-2009, 04:21 PM
Bills are making a 3rd RB a pretty high priority this offseason.
He will most likely be a # 2 for at least the first 4 games.

WeAreArthurMoates
03-03-2009, 04:21 PM
his feels like the nfl equivalent of getting blue balls.

Hahahahaha freaking hillarious man. Mad props on that one.

Mudflap1
03-03-2009, 04:25 PM
Completely agree. Its sad when Im refreshing all day because our biggest news is trying to sign a solid #2 WR.

Again, I dont want Skins or Cowboys moves, I want quality moves and yes ones that mean spending money at times.

I know there wasnt alot out there this year, but several guys could have helped.

Even if we sign Coles or trade for Holt, we added 2 holes in our O (as far as starters), and added one significant upgrade... thats not enough IMO.

I agree with you! I never agree with you! Except... I think, while it would be great and exciting, trading for Torry Holt is something our guys can never pull off.

Jon

Mudflap1
03-03-2009, 04:32 PM
Mudflap,

I think you underestimate what having a capable offense that can keep your defense off the field and fresh can do to a team overall.

May I ask what team you are referring to? Certainly not the Bills, who cut their starting LG, let both centers go, signed a backup center, thet starting quarterback has gotten hurt every season since he was in Pop Warner, the backup quarterback just signed is horrendous, the starting RB is on the verge of getting suspended, the FB just re-signed is horrendous, the tight ends are horrendous, all of the wide receivers are undersized....... and we haven't even gotten to the defense yet. I'm too tired and deflated to get there.

I know what the cheerleaders will say... "it's early in the offseason yet, we haven't even gotten to the draft!" True, but Pat has been the recipient of reliable information. Has he been saying the Bills are going to be active in free agency? What has the Bills' track record been for the draft for this decade? What has the Bills' track record been for anything this decade?

I just can't stomach seeing the words "Buffalo Bills" and "competent", "competitive", "good", or "playoffs" together until I see otherwise by concrete evidence from this franchise. Which they are continuing not to show us.

Jon

Slim
03-03-2009, 04:37 PM
Just let this happen so i can move on with my life.

realdealryan
03-03-2009, 04:38 PM
This feels like the nfl equivalent of getting blue balls.

Post of free agency.

Regardless of the actual effect on the team, the perceived deficit of this year's free agency period takes its toll on the fans when we haven't won a division game in over a year. But I think we need to calm it down.

A buddy from Buffalo that's in the same engineering program that I'm in is so carefree about this - he's in his 30s, wears his Bills gear every day to school here in downtown Indy, and doesn't seem to pay attention to free agency at all. Just today he was drinking beer in the engineering building. He asked if I wanted one, and I passed, since I really needed to pay attention in the class I had in ten minutes (wussy, I know). I told him that I thought we wouldn't sign Coles. He said "oh, really?" He hasn't been riding this seesaw. He hasn't been checking rotoprofootballKFFL every five minutes since 12:01 last Friday. And it hit me.

F free agency and wait for the season. So I got drunk and watched the highlights from the Seattle, San Diego, and Kansas City games, in that order.

raphael120
03-03-2009, 04:44 PM
May I ask what team you are referring to? Certainly not the Bills, who cut their starting LG, let both centers go, signed a backup center, thet starting quarterback has gotten hurt every season since he was in Pop Warner, the backup quarterback just signed is horrendous, the starting RB is on the verge of getting suspended, the FB just re-signed is horrendous, the tight ends are horrendous, all of the wide receivers are undersized....... and we haven't even gotten to the defense yet. I'm too tired and deflated to get there.

I know what the cheerleaders will say... "it's early in the offseason yet, we haven't even gotten to the draft!" True, but Pat has been the recipient of reliable information. Has he been saying the Bills are going to be active in free agency? What has the Bills' track record been for the draft for this decade? What has the Bills' track record been for anything this decade?

I just can't stomach seeing the words "Buffalo Bills" and "competent", "competitive", "good", or "playoffs" together until I see otherwise by concrete evidence from this franchise. Which they are continuing not to show us.

Jon

i totally agree with you brother, Im just pointing out the fact that in a normal non-Bills world, getting a capable #2 WR will overall help you offense and hopefully keep the defense off the field, therefore addressing your defense concerns.

but youre right. i dont see us getting much better unless we address defense specifically DE, SS, and LB. theres not a LB, DE, or SS in the draft that is going to automatically make the defense better, nor are there really any decent FA's out there that will help us that much. Im hopeful for a trade though. Hell, our day 2 picks should be all thrown at proven vets because we totally suck at finding serviceable players past round 2, hell even our first and second round picks are average at best.

McKelvin...whoopty doo, he can return kicks. So can Parrish.
Whitner...his mouth talks WAY more than his play.
Poz...he hasn't done much yet but technically he's just finished his first complete season.
Lynch...sure he's a decent back but who cares when he's going to be suspended all the time.
McCargo...McFatAss spends too much time at McDonalds
Hardy...he looks totally lost in an NFL offense and doesn't show any type of physicality in the recieving game.

Thats 6 top 50 overall draft picks that have amounted to jack squat on this team so far. Not a single home run. And our later round picks are even more worthless than the upper round picks and that's not saying a lot.

X-Era
03-03-2009, 05:51 PM
Pat, why are you holding us fans ransom?

Come on man, we have new vistors, you have to have some news on them... and maybe Coles :grin:

Slim
03-03-2009, 05:53 PM
Pat, why are you holding us fans ransom?

Come on man, we have new vistors, you have to have some news on them... and maybe Coles :up:

Seriously. It's been way past 87 minutes since you last posted.

X-Era
03-03-2009, 06:11 PM
Seriously. It's been way past 87 minutes since you last posted.Now we signed Florence.

Im not liking what Im reading into this sudden flurry of action

Peterson visiting
June visiting
Florence signed
Jones signing

Im reading into this but Im thinking our Coles situation just went sour...

I hope not.

Slim
03-03-2009, 06:13 PM
Now we signed Florence.

Im not liking what Im reading into this sudden flurry of action

Peterson visiting
June visiting
Florence signed
Jones signing

Im reading into this but Im thinking our Coles situation just went sour...

I hope not.

I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully this is baecuse the Greer situation went bad.

X-Era
03-03-2009, 06:15 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully this is baecuse the Greer situation went bad.

That just dawned on me too. We had an offer out there to him, so really its just moving Greers money to Florence... and probably putting some back into the spending pool.

That means that we still are willing to spend money on Coles :pray:

Slim
03-03-2009, 06:34 PM
Damnit Pat.

Buddo
03-03-2009, 06:36 PM
That just dawned on me too. We had an offer out there to him, so really its just moving Greers money to Florence... and probably putting some back into the spending pool.

That means that we still are willing to spend money on Coles :pray:

Pretty much so. Greer is as good as gone I would say. The deal for Florence isn't that huge either tbh. Tim Graham is reporting it to be something like $7.3 million over 2 years, including incentives. Not chickenfeed, but pretty inexpensive compared to what Greer may get.

jimbohastle51
03-03-2009, 10:40 PM
we could easily sign florence, june, peterson, and coles and still extend peters with almost 30 million under the cap.

homeslice5484
03-03-2009, 11:22 PM
ugh can we just move on from coles.

raphael120
03-03-2009, 11:51 PM
He's signing. Announcement tomorrow morning, *****es.

Mski
03-03-2009, 11:57 PM
ok its now officially wednesday..... where's your new thread pat??? you've brought us to such high expectations

homeslice5484
03-04-2009, 12:24 AM
how do we know he is signing?

Michael82
03-04-2009, 01:46 AM
Come on! It's so obvious. The Bills made Coles their priority, while no one else was willing to pay the man. It's been said all along that they wanted to take care of Coles and Florence or Greer before they get back to filling other holes on the team. The fact that they are bringing in the LBs tomorrow tells me that they must be very close to a deal and will announce it in the morning. There's no way they will announce anything tonight and the Bills aren't big enough for ESPN to report it tonight. My guess is that we'll find out by tomorrow around 9am.

DraftBoy
03-04-2009, 07:29 AM
Come on! It's so obvious. The Bills made Coles their priority, while no one else was willing to pay the man. It's been said all along that they wanted to take care of Coles and Florence or Greer before they get back to filling other holes on the team. The fact that they are bringing in the LBs tomorrow tells me that they must be very close to a deal and will announce it in the morning. There's no way they will announce anything tonight and the Bills aren't big enough for ESPN to report it tonight. My guess is that we'll find out by tomorrow around 9am.

The Bills also said that IF they sign Coles they'd basically be done in FA. So them targeting other positions could also tell us that they dont think they are going to land Coles and are now targeting other places to spend their money.

Dr. Lecter
03-04-2009, 07:30 AM
The Bills also said that IF they sign Coles they'd basically be done in FA. So them targeting other positions could also tell us that they dont think they are going to land Coles and are now targeting other places to spend their money.

When did they say that?

DraftBoy
03-04-2009, 07:34 AM
When did they say that?

Pat reported it in one of his other threads, that if the Bills signed Coles they'd basically be done with FA.