PDA

View Full Version : Bills Land Florence

circlethewagons
03-03-2009, 06:08 PM
The Buffalo <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%;" id="itxt_nobr_0_0">Billshttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/mag-glass_10x10.gif</nobr> (http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/#) have agreed to terms with free agent cornerback Drayton Florence, striking a two-year deal worth $6.6 million that can grow to as much as $7.3 million with incentives, according to a league source.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/03/bills-land-florence/

LtFinFan66
03-03-2009, 06:10 PM
where is that from? Link?

circlethewagons
where is that from? Link?

sorry, edited

DrGraves
HELLLLL YEAHHHHH BABYYYYYYYYYY WOOOOOOOOOOOO! BOOM ROASTED!

nateodoms'bff
Good bye Terrence McGee.

This sounds like there is some kind of trade talks going on somewhere.

There is no way that the Bills pay Florence 6 million to play nickel.

Slim
03-03-2009, 06:11 PM
That came out of the blue...

Romes
Championship!

Nighthawk
If true, not bad. Not a top priority, IMO, but he's not bad a player. Bye, bye...Greer...don't let the door hit ya in the @ss.

Slim
Good bye Terrence McGee.

6 million isn't gaurenteed.

Romes
03-03-2009, 06:14 PM
Good bye Terrence McGee.

6 million over 2 years is about half of what Greer was supposedly looking for.

realdealryan
Bills SUCKS!!!!!!

Wait...good signing?

Yasgur's Farm
There goes the standing offer for Greer... There goes Greer's leverage.

Slim
03-03-2009, 06:15 PM
i like this signing.

X-Era
03-03-2009, 06:16 PM
6 million over 2 years is about half of what Greer was supposedly looking for.

Im a fan of his game, he can play.

Mad Bomber
03-03-2009, 06:17 PM
All we need now is a halfway decent pass rush so our corners don't have to cover for 10 seconds....

Slim
Some competition for Leodis.

Yasgur's Farm
Yahoo had him rated 27th best FA available... That's a bargain right there. Nice signing!!!

DieHrdBillsFan23
03-03-2009, 06:18 PM
for 3 mil a year, that doesnt mean McGee is gone. Florence is no where near as good as T-Mac is. He will still be here this year, next offseason is a different story. Hopefully they can resign him.

X-Era
03-03-2009, 06:19 PM
Some competition for Leodis.

Agree!

This is a significant signing not because hes a stud starter, but hes a high quality depth player for sure

jimbohastle51
03-03-2009, 06:22 PM
i cant believe they got him for 3.3 million a year! what a steal

Slim
03-03-2009, 06:22 PM
McGee, Mckelvin, corner, youboty, florence. We are stacked at corner.

nateodoms'bff
03-03-2009, 06:23 PM
for 3 mil a year, that doesnt mean McGee is gone. Florence is no where near as good as T-Mac is. He will still be here this year, next offseason is a different story. Hopefully they can resign him.

True, it doesn't mean that he is gone, but why keep a guy that you're not going to re-sign. He has a great deal of value in a trade, and currently the Bills can have an open competition for the 2nd CB spot next to McKelvin. Between Youboty, Florence, Corner that's not bad. I'm in favor of Youboty starting, except he can't stay healthy.

Would I be upset at losing McGee? Only if they got draft picks for him. If they package him for say Daniels, or Cutler, or Shaun Rogers... SEE YA!!

This is a good signing for the Bills.

DBrown77
03-03-2009, 06:24 PM
Average player, good depth

Slim
03-03-2009, 06:25 PM
This Bills move has alot to do with the spread formation the patrioits use.

jimbohastle51
03-03-2009, 06:26 PM
june should be a reasonable signing as well. i am sure anyone that they have an offer out too they already work it into there "cash to cap" in so they can keep signing players and not worry about having to take back offers and such

Slim
03-03-2009, 06:27 PM
Sign Coles and Peterson or June. And im a happy man. Till the Bills reach for Tyson Jackson with the 11th pick of the draft :::.

BILLSROCK1212
03-03-2009, 06:27 PM
6'0"....must be our team's tallest CB

Yasgur's Farm
03-03-2009, 06:28 PM
Average player, good depth Great signing... Yahoo has him rated as 27 best FA available... His grouping is Jonathan Vilma, Gibril Wilson, Jeff Saturday, Byron Leftwich, Matt Birk, Darren Sharper, Nate Washington, Devery Henderson, Fred Taylor and...

Laveranues Coles at #32

X-Era
03-03-2009, 06:31 PM
Sign Coles and Peterson or June. And im a happy man. Till the Bills reach for Tyson Jackson with the 11th pick of the draft :::.

I fixed it for ya.

mikemac2001
03-03-2009, 06:42 PM
Awesome Love that signing didnt expect it

Don't Panic
03-03-2009, 06:43 PM
He was pretty solid as a #2 CB for SD a couple of years ago. Why only one year in Jax and only a two year deal? Seems like he must have a red flag if he can't get a longer term deal.

In terms of CBs in this market, that is cheap. PK on NFL Radio was talking about the top 6 deals for CBs this offseason. It was something like 4.5 years fro $37 million (avg.) with half of that guaranteed. That's out of control. Makes Florence seem like that much more of a deal.

Mr. Pink
03-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Good signing...

Welcome to being the new nickle back drayton!

The Jokeman
03-03-2009, 06:48 PM
There goes the standing offer for Greer... There goes Greer's leverage.
And an opening to go to the Patriots, a double edge sword to be honest. Though I think Florence might compete for a starting job one has to wonder why he was cut by Jacksonville and available to begin with.

Slim
03-03-2009, 06:51 PM
And an opening to go to the Patriots, a double edge sword to be honest. Though I think Florence might compete for a starting job one has to wonder why he was cut by Jacksonville and available to begin with.

Jax signed him to a huge deal last season. And he didn't play well at ALL. Back in SD he was very solid.

FlyingDutchman
03-03-2009, 06:53 PM
<TABLE id=playerbio cellPadding=7><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 20px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; PADDING-TOP: 30px" width=325>21 Drayton Florence

<TABLE width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=playerbiocolumn1>Position: </TD><TD class=playerbiocolumn2>CB </TD></TR><TR><TD class=playerbiocolumn1>Height: </TD><TD class=playerbiocolumn2>6-0 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=playerbiocolumn1>Weight:</TD><TD class=playerbiocolumn2>195 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=playerbiocolumn1>Born: </TD><TD class=playerbiocolumn2>12/19/1980 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=playerbiocolumn1>Hometown: </TD><TD class=playerbiocolumn2>Ocala, FL </TD></TR><TR><TD class=playerbiocolumn1>College: </TD><TD class=playerbiocolumn2>Tuskegee </TD></TR><TR><TD class=playerbiocolumn1>Experience: </TD><TD class=playerbiocolumn2>7th Year </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Veteran cornerback who has played in 74 games with 43 starts in five seasons … Spent the past five seasons with the San Diego Chargers … Career totals include 231 tackles (196 solo), 10 interceptions and 47 passes defensed … Has four kickoff returns … Has played in five career postseason games with three starts and has recorded three interceptions … Started 10 of 16 games in 2007 and posted career-high 66 tackles and had two interceptions in three postseason games … Native of Ocala, Fla. … Former second-round pick, the 46th player taken overall … Highest drafted player from Tuskegee ...

Played in all 16 games with 10 starts … Finished with a career-high 66 tackles (54 solo), two interceptions, 10 passes defensed, three tackles for loss and one fumble recovery … 10 passes defensed ranked second on team … Played in all three postseason games and finished with two interceptions … Started first 10 games … 10/14 vs. OAK: Recorded first interception of the season and also had a tackle for loss … 12/2 vs. KC: Intercepted a pass by Damon Huard late in the fourth quarter … 1/6 vs. TEN: Made key fourth quarter interception in the AFC Wild Card Game to seal the victory and added four tackles (three solo) … 1/13 at IND: Started at CB in AFC Divisional Playoff Game and finished with five tackles and two passes defensed … 1/20 at NE: Intercepted Tom Brady in AFC Championship Game …

Started all 16 games for the first time in his career … Finished with 63 tackles (51 solo), three interceptions and 16 passes defensed … 9/11 at OAK: Led secondary with five tackles … 10/8 at PIT: Made interception off attempted flea-flicker in win on Sunday night … 11/19 at DEN: Recorded fourth quarter interception off Jake Plummer on a fourth-and-four play with 3:13 remaining and returned it 23 yards … 11/26 vs. OAK: Sealed win with an interception on the first play after the two-minute warning … Had team-high three passes defensed on 12/3 at BUF and 12/10 vs. DEN … 1/14 vs. NE: Started in AFC Divisional Playoff Game and recorded first-career postseason interception as he picked off Tom Brady …

Played in 13 games with 12 starts … Was inactive with ankle injury for two games … Recorded 54 tackles (47 solo), 11 passes defensed and one interception … 9/25 vs. NYG: Registered two passes defensed and had apparent 30-yard interception return of Eli Manning negated by roughing the passer penalty … 11/20 vs. BUF: Led team with two passes defensed along with five tackles … 12/4 vs. OAK: Ranked second on team with seven tackles … 12/18 at IND: Recorded first interception of the season …

Appeared in 13 games with five starts … Finished with 32 tackles (28 solo) and eight passes defensed … Ranked second on the team with career-high four interceptions and led team with 54 return yards … 10/10 vs. JAX: Recorded first career interception and returned it 40 yards to set up a touchdown . Also had two passes defensed and two special teams tackles … 10/17 at ATL: Made interception late in the second quarter that resulted in a Chargers touchdown … 10/24 at CAR: Moved into starting lineup but left game early with an ankle injury … Was inactive on 10/31 vs. OAK and 11/7 vs NO … Was active but did not play on 11/21 at OAK … 12/5 vs. DEN: Started and recorded interception of Jake Plummer on opening series of the game. Tipped a Plummer pass late in the fourth quarter that was intercepted by Jerry Wilson to seal the victory. Finished with three tackles, one for a loss and two passes defensed. Was named AFC Defensive Player of the Week … 12/26 at IND: Finished with career-high seven tackles … 1/2 vs. KC: Helped seal the victory with a fourth quarter interception of Trent Green … 1/8 vs. NYJ: Made three tackles and broke up a pass in AFC Wild Card Playoff Game …

Played in all 16 games as a rookie and finished with 16 solo tackles and two passes defensed … 9/28 at OAK: Finished with season-high six tackles.

COLLEGE
Registered school-record three returns for touchdowns on interceptions … First-team Division II All-America selection by Associated Press, Sheridan Black Network, Football Gazette and American Football Coaches Association as senior … Was two-time conference player of the week … Played at Tennessee-Chattanooga from 1999-2000 and Tuskegee from 2001-02 … Majored in social work.

PERSONAL
Lives in Ocala, Fla. with his son, Jaden, and daughter, Jaelynn … Attended Vanguard High in Ocala, Fla. … Spent his sophomore year at Richland Northeast High in Columbia, S.C. … Father, Drayton, Sr., spent 20 years in the Army and retired with a rank of E7 … Sister, Lakisha, is currently serving in the Army and carries the rank of E4 … Established the Drayton Florence Foundation in 2004 to develop programs that help disadvantaged youth in his hometown of Ocala, Fla. Hosted football camps at his alma mater, Vanguard High, a celebrity golf classic and a celebrity basketball shootout … Opened the Drayton Florence LABS program in 2007 to strengthen the educational preparation and motivation of socio-economically disadvantaged youth and young adults in Marion County. More than 50 computers have been donated to the program and a computer center was opened at the Lillian Bryant Recreation Center in 2008 ... Purchased tickets for each Chargers home game for inner-city youth through the Boys and Girls Club of San Diego … Full name: Drayton Florence.

RockStar36
03-03-2009, 06:53 PM
Just in case people needed another link...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3949559&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

Nighthawk
03-03-2009, 06:54 PM
Just in case people needed another link...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3949559&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

Was just going to post this...a little more credible.

The Jokeman
03-03-2009, 06:57 PM
Jax signed him to a huge deal last season. And he didn't play well at ALL. Back in SD he was very solid.
Perhaps because the pass rush in San Diego was above average where in Jacksonville it was below average. Same as here. I really don't mind the signing but there's no guaranteeing he's any better then Greer who was a starter here. Yes, I've read the stories that if San Diego signed him then they'd look to move Cromatarie etc. but sounded again for cap related reasons which should take a part in making a move but have a feeling we also signed Florence because he's going to be cheaper then Greer but again wonder if he'll be as good or an overpriced nickel back as he was with the Jags.

yordad
03-03-2009, 06:58 PM
I like Terrance more then most on here. But being in the last year of his contract, I could see a trade for the Chiefs LG. They started a rookie CB last year.

OpIv37
03-03-2009, 10:06 PM
Good bye Terrence McGee.

Um, Greer is a free agent. He's gone. McKelvin's not ready to start and Youboty's too unreliable. While Corner and McKelvin will challenge him, Florence likely starts even if McGee is still here.

If the Bills wanted to trade McGee, the smart move would have been re-signing Greer then trading McGee, but that ship has apparently sailed.

SeatownBillsFan21
03-03-2009, 10:06 PM
Think he is a starter over Leo???

OpIv37
03-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Think he is a starter over Leo???

right now, yes. By mid-season, probably not.

justasportsfan
03-03-2009, 10:13 PM
i agree, this just means greer is gone.

OpIv37
03-03-2009, 10:15 PM
i agree, this just means greer is gone.

unfortunately, Greer > Florence. While it's not a bad signing, it's hard to see how this makes the team better than last year.

justasportsfan
03-03-2009, 10:22 PM
unfortunately, Greer > Florence. While it's not a bad signing, it's hard to see how this makes the team better than last year.
greer is asking for way more than he's worth. I'd rather use the $ towards improving the pass rush which would improve the pass d.

Mitchell55
03-03-2009, 10:25 PM
Florence is a big physical corner who might end up at safty.

bigbry
03-03-2009, 10:26 PM
Um, Greer is a free agent. He's gone. McKelvin's not ready to start and Youboty's too unreliable. While Corner and McKelvin will challenge him, Florence likely starts even if McGee is still here.

If the Bills wanted to trade McGee, the smart move would have been re-signing Greer then trading McGee, but that ship has apparently sailed.

Bingo!
Intelligent and level headed post.

topher180

Agreed, and like many have said, him leaving JAX after signing a long term deal should be a huge red flag. We are over eager because we've been starved for so long. It's like giving an Ethiopian kid a rotten apple. Best believe he'll eat it opposed to zippy. But what does this orginization know about red flags? Dickie can't even find the damn thing (cheap zing).

This is a what have you done for me lately leauge. If the last thing this guy did is have a S*** year, why should I be excited?

OpIv37
greer is asking for way more than he's worth. I'd rather use the $ towards improving the pass rush which would improve the pass d.

good point, but I just don't see the Bills doing it. Even if they were willing to break the bank, who's left that would actually improve the pass rush?

TonyBlack
03-03-2009, 10:28 PM
yawn; good signing, but im not impressed yet.

justasportsfan
03-03-2009, 10:29 PM
good point, but I just don't see the Bills doing it. Even if they were willing to break the bank, who's left that would actually improve the pass rush?
trade

mysticsoto
03-03-2009, 10:57 PM

Maybe not pass rush, but having more money may mean a better chance of landing OG Waters who alongside Peters and our new Center, should vastly improve that Oline - and hopefully also improve our run blocking for Lynch/Jackson.

trapezeus
03-03-2009, 11:35 PM
what exciting news. when i think bills needs, i think secondary. Is this team going to stop with this crap. The LINES SUCK!!! FIX THEM FIX THEM FIXTHEM. Stop the infatuation with CB hording. it's obnoxious.

Mski
03-04-2009, 12:01 AM
to quote the financial expert from weekend update

step 1: FIX
step 2: IT
step 3: FIX IT!

FIX IT!FIX IT!FIX IT!FIX IT!

jamze132
03-04-2009, 07:14 AM
I like the signing. I wonder if he could play a little SS. Probably not but he's a good, cheap addition to the secondary. I have a feeling, our draft is going to seriously address both lines as it should. Get all the "skill" players you can in FA so you can draft for the lines. That's what I say.

Don't Panic
03-04-2009, 07:28 AM
There is still a lot of work to be done in FA... I like the signing and I am confident that there is more to come. Greer was asking for too much and had an offer on the table that he wasn't ready to sign.

The only thing I'm hoping for is that we are down to only two glaring holes come draft day so we don't have to worry about our 3rd rounder contributing in year one. Right now, I have every reason to believe we'll be there.

DraftBoy
03-04-2009, 07:33 AM
Maybe not pass rush, but having more money may mean a better chance of landing OG Waters who alongside Peters and our new Center, should vastly improve that Oline - and hopefully also improve our run blocking for Lynch/Jackson.

How does having more money help us land Waters? We have to trade for him not sign him. I dont see how money really comes into factor here due to the fact that Waters is signed relatively cheaply.

DraftBoy
03-04-2009, 07:34 AM
On Florence, I like his size and the fact that he can play the bump and run coverage which is something McKelvin can do as well but not McGee. It gives us some versatility in our pass coverage ability.

Tatonka
03-04-2009, 08:15 AM
Good signing...

Welcome to being the new nickle back drayton!

your assuming he will definately beat out youboty?

Tatonka
03-04-2009, 08:19 AM
i need to do some research on him, but if i remember correctly, florence was considered a very good cornerback with san diego, but then cromartie came on to the scene with like 8 picks and basically forced his way into the lineup with his production.. and didnt florence blow out his knee?

mysticsoto
03-04-2009, 08:22 AM
How does having more money help us land Waters? We have to trade for him not sign him. I dont see how money really comes into factor here due to the fact that Waters is signed relatively cheaply.

He will want a new contract...and we SHOULD give him a long term contract that will keep him here for awhile next to Peters and avoid us not having to worry about the Oline again for awhile.

Throne Logic
03-04-2009, 09:35 AM
Money aside, we've just replaced a known semi-solid commodity (Greer) with a question mark. Let's assume he's neither as good as the report from San Diego, nor as bad as the report from Jax. I'll even toss in a huge assumption that he'll fit in with Buffalo's scheme. Basically, this is best case scenario stuff here.

So, what is the best case result of this signing? We lost Greer and added Florence. How does this make the Bills any better?

Michael82
03-04-2009, 09:36 AM
Money aside, we've just replaced a known semi-solid commodity (Greer) with a question mark. Let's assume he's neither as good as the report from San Diego, nor as bad as the report from Jax. I'll even toss in a huge assumption that he'll fit in with Buffalo's scheme. Basically, this is best case scenario stuff here.

So, what is the best case result of this signing? We lost Greer and added Florence. How does this make the Bills any better?
Because McKelvin and McGee did fine as the starters last year.

mysticsoto
03-04-2009, 09:49 AM

Florence is depth and perhaps a nickel back if he earns it away from Youboty who looked good last year, or Corner who showed flashes here and there but was raw. Do you really want to pay Greer so much money for essentially being a backup and rarely playing? Clearly, the FO thinks highly of Youboty and Corner's ability to play the nickel...and just in case, brought a veteran that came really cheap. I really don't see how you can criticize this. So far, this looks like an excellent move!!!

justasportsfan
03-04-2009, 10:08 AM
Because McKelvin and McGee did fine as the starters last year.
and Corner showed a lot of promise late in the season.