PDA

View Full Version : Coles has NOT signed with the Bills

patmoran2006
03-04-2009, 06:58 AM
I don't know who in the world posted that a "source within the organization" says the Bills have reached a deal with Coles; but whomever wrote it is full of ****.. Sorry to tell you.

Coles as of now has NOT signed with the Bills. And as of last night, Coles' agent, Roosevelt Barnes was on the phone with other teams trying to set up more visits for his client

To my knowledge, Buffalo's offer was not acceptable to him. I don't even think Cinci made him an offer after listening to his contract demands, and if they did it was for a small enough amount to have him cut his visit short.

I'm told that Coles is now even considering re-visiting the NY Jets.

Believe me, nobody over the past few days wanted to break a "Coles signs with Buffalo" story more than me. At around 4pm yesterday I know that Brandon spoke with Barnes on the phone. NO deal was reached.

This has been really confusing and I will mostly clear this up now.. Coles gambled on his value by walking away from $6M in guarentees with the Jets, and he lost. He's in no rush to sign anywhere if he feels that its a contract that underpays him (in his estimation). At 31 years old, it's likely his last bigger payday, so he's going to explore all his possibilities.

If his agent doesn't find interest elsewhere and we're the only offer on the table then he will end up signing here. I doubt he would just retire. To my knowledge, the Bills haven't placed a deadline for him to accept an offer. Personally, I think they should, and they may, maybe even today for all I know. But I doubt it. Buffalo will be real busy today hosting free agents.

Speaking of busy, an admin here may want to change the board back to the "busy" server (you know what I mean) because there is going to be a lot of activity today and Im sure a ton of traffic here. I couldn't get on here last night for well over a hour to post some news and I figure it will be busier today?

I think the BIlls expect big time Marshawn to get 4 games. They are bent on getting a quality RB on the roster. and I expect us to land June, he really fits our defense well. Pat Thomas is a lot like Ellison (athletic, but undersized and not very productive). So we'll see what happens. Bringing Peterson in on Thursday shows that the BIlls will at least entertain the possibility of moving Poz outside.

Anyway, regarding Coles.. Resolution can literally come at any minute, but your probably wasting time (like I've been) waiting for it. I dont think he wants to play for Buffalo, at least not for whatever we offered (and nobody can confirm for sure what it was)--- and I'm telling you now I heard rumblings he may revisit the Jets still.

He can drag on for another week, or he could sign with Buffalo or another team today.. Truth is, I really don't know and I think my guess, or even the Bills guess, is as good as anyone else's here.

Sorry..

Luisito23
03-04-2009, 07:05 AM
I could really care less about him right now...This thing has dragged out too long, and he's not even the type of player that deserves this much attention to anyways...

Dujek
03-04-2009, 07:06 AM
What's the point in having our own pet junior journalist if he can't tell us anything about Coles? (j/k)

I still think the Bills' best bet at LB could well be to sign a solid MLB and move Poz outside, so Peterson is an interesting option.

patmoran2006
03-04-2009, 07:08 AM
What's the point in having our own pet junior journalist if he can't tell us anything about Coles? (j/k)

I still think the Bills' best bet at LB could well be to sign a solid MLB and move Poz outside, so Peterson is an interesting option.
If not Peterson you could see it on draft day with the kid from USC.

Sorry I don't have more and/or better Coles news for you guys right now.. But I"m not going to lie about him to make up stuff.

Dujek
03-04-2009, 07:12 AM
If not Peterson you could see it on draft day with the kid from USC.

Sorry I don't have more and/or better Coles news for you guys right now.. But I"m not going to lie about him to make up stuff.

Right now I couldn't give a **** about Coles and his attitude. He obviously has no real desire to play for the Bills.

I liked Maualuga right up to the Rose Bowl, when he looked quite ordinary. Certainly didn't look like a #11 pick anyway. I think I'd prefer someone with a bit of NFL experience in there now.

mybills
03-04-2009, 07:15 AM
I bet the Bills offered him what he left behind in NJ. I bet nobody will entertain what you said he was asking for. I bet he'll go back to the Jets. I bet I'll cry when he does.

DraftBoy
03-04-2009, 07:20 AM
Good info Pat!

Ill pas on Rey though, not worth a top 15 selection imo, even though I think he'll go that high. He has issues dealing with traffic and getting off blocks.

don137
03-04-2009, 07:31 AM
Its not like Coles is the only veteran receiver out there. I think the fans and Bills brass have already wasted enough time ont that guy. I say start exporing other options and if something comes up pull the offer immediately.
Personally, I am moving on...

mybills
03-04-2009, 07:36 AM
I changed my mind. I don't think he'll go back to the Jets. How can he?

They granted him FA (voiding his final contract)

He (forfeited) a guaranteed base of 6mil.

Luisito23
03-04-2009, 07:40 AM
I changed my mind.

Too late, you said it already...

THATHURMANATOR
03-04-2009, 07:55 AM
Howard Simon just said there are unconfirmed Internet Message board rumors that Coles is a Bill... LOL

homeslice5484
03-04-2009, 07:55 AM
just move on from coles

Dujek
03-04-2009, 07:58 AM
Good info Pat!

Ill pas on Rey though, not worth a top 15 selection imo, even though I think he'll go that high. He has issues dealing with traffic and getting off blocks.

He can take bad angles at times as well, even when he is moving in unblocked on the ball carrier. Though that's something that can be coached into him.

billsburgh
03-04-2009, 07:58 AM
with Coles, you would think that as more time goes by, the less money he is going to get. there doesnt seem to be alot of interest in him, other than the Bills. there's no bidding war going on, so the bills can sit back and wait until he comes crawling back because nobody else want him.

mybills
03-04-2009, 08:01 AM
not just the money, nobody seems to want him "long term" which is what he wants.

homeslice5484
03-04-2009, 08:02 AM
what i dont understand is why the bills dont bring other WR's in now, even if they have no intention of signing that person. Just show Coles that you are going to move on...not that it will work. Bring in Toomer, Harrison, Ronald Curry, etc. etc. Either way you need a vet over there unless you are going to give Stevie a chance, which I doubt they will since they didnt at the end of last season when they should have.

mysticsoto
03-04-2009, 08:03 AM
I think the Bills should call Amani Toomer. Let's get someone else in and let Coles know that he's not all that. And if he has an attitude and doesn't really want to play for us, then we shouldn't bring him here. We have a nice set of young high character talent on our team, and the last thing we want is to disrupt that with someone displaying a "what's in it for me" type of attitude. Bring in a vet like Toomer or Justin McCarein for a year or two - they shouldn't be expensive...and let's see how Steve Johnson and Hardy develop. They are our young future anyway.

Michael82
03-04-2009, 08:08 AM
Damn it! I was hoping your first thread today would be the opposite. :mad: :sigh:

homeslice5484
03-04-2009, 08:10 AM
pat, can you please find out if the bills are going to move on soon and bring some others in?

Michael82
03-04-2009, 08:20 AM
We have a nice set of young high character talent on our team
Are you calling Lynch high character? :rofl:

Philagape
03-04-2009, 08:22 AM
but whomever wrote it is full of ****.

YOU'RE KIDDING!!!!!!! NOOO!!!

Tatonka
03-04-2009, 08:24 AM
i gotta be honest.. i pretty much hate coles already..

he does not want to be here.. **** giving him a warm welcome if he does sign.. if he ends up a Bill, it is clearly because it is his last choice. F that and F him.

casdhf
03-04-2009, 08:28 AM
Didn't coles act like an ass hole when he played for washington, too?

psubills62
03-04-2009, 08:31 AM
Haha you guys take these things so personally.

What happened to the "I don't care if he's a jerk or anything as long as he's good" mentality? This is a business. Cincy obviously wasn't serious after hearing his contract demands. Maybe Coles would love to come here if he could get another year or couple million added to our offer. But right now he has no leverage because no one else wants him.

im8th2buffalo
03-04-2009, 08:35 AM
Sorry to pass on the Buffalo Bills Insider info. It does not appear to be credible this time.

Personally, I am sick of the whole Coles situation. He still could sign, but I am not going to hold my breath. It is time for the Bills to move on with other prospects.
I was very impressed with Steve Johnson. I think he might really develop into a great receiver for the team.

Michael82
03-04-2009, 08:36 AM
i gotta be honest.. i pretty much hate coles already..

he does not want to be here.. **** giving him a warm welcome if he does sign.. if he ends up a Bill, it is clearly because it is his last choice. F that and F him.
He's all about the money. He doesn't care which team he goes to, as long as they are willing to pay him!

LifetimeBillsFan
03-04-2009, 10:07 AM
He's all about the money. He doesn't care which team he goes to, as long as they are willing to pay him!

I've been saying this all along.

Getting emotional about the guy because he hasn't signed with the Bills yet--even if they have the best offer on the table for him--only shows how insecure and fragile Bills' fans' egos are--particularly in a situation like this where Coles is obviously trying frantically to overcome a mistake that HE and his agent made in overestimating the market. It's HIS mistake, not one the Bills have made or a reflection on the Bills or their fans!

Coles just walked away from a guaranteed $ 6 million to play for a 10 win team last season. He thought he would get a lot more than that, probably from Miami or perhaps some other contender.

Instead, the best that he has been able to do is get roughly the same money from a team that won 7 games last season. He couldn't even get an offer from Cincy after they just lost their # 2 WR from last season. He messed up BIG-TIME.

Now, he can admit that he messed up big-time and take the best offer that he can before sinks even further by grabbing the Bills' offer before they decide to spend that money on other players--which they already have indicated that they are ready to begin doing. But, he probably won't do that.

Because now it's not just all about the money, but about saving face after messing up so bad, his agent is probably going to call the Jets, Miami and everyone in the book to see if he can get someone to give Coles even a little bit more than the Bills have offered. Good luck.

With the Jets having laid out as much as they have for Scott, Sheppard and any former Raven that they can bring into the fold, it's unlikely that they will give Coles the same amount that they let him walk away from. Why should they? They didn't let him walk away from that deal because they liked him--it was strictly a business deal where they figured that they could use at least some of that money elsewhere (and perhaps replace Coles with Toomer, who might find it attractive not to retire or move, or Harrison, who has business interests in Philly, for less). Knowing how little interest he has generated in the FA market, why should they match what the offer that they let him walk away from when they know that he is desperate? The same applies to the Dolphins.

With the Giants saying that they are willing to let P.Burress come back, the market for Coles is shrinking. To save face, he and his agent may want to wait until even the preseason begins to see if some team gets desperate enough to give them a long-term deal if someone goes down. But, every day that goes by Coles' price goes down for this year. And, it should.

If this is what Coles and his agent want to do, for their parts, the Bills not only have no choice but to let him, but they should start to move on--which it appears that they are starting to do with the signing of Florence and the impending visits of June, K.Jones and M.Peterson. If Coles doesn't get back to them and sign soon and some of these other players do sign with the team, by the time Coles does check back in with them he just may find that they will have lessened their offer, if not pulled it off the table completely.

And, if that happens, who can blame the Bills for doing that? With all of the other holes that they have to address this offseason, it's what they should do if he doesn't sign on the dotted line soon.

Michael82
03-04-2009, 10:20 AM
I've been saying this all along.

Getting emotional about the guy because he hasn't signed with the Bills yet--even if they have the best offer on the table for him--only shows how insecure and fragile Bills' fans' egos are--particularly in a situation like this where Coles is obviously trying frantically to overcome a mistake that HE and his agent made in overestimating the market. It's HIS mistake, not one the Bills have made or a reflection on the Bills or their fans!

Coles just walked away from a guaranteed $ 6 million to play for a 10 win team last season. He thought he would get a lot more than that, probably from Miami or perhaps some other contender.

Instead, the best that he has been able to do is get roughly the same money from a team that won 7 games last season. He couldn't even get an offer from Cincy after they just lost their # 2 WR from last season. He messed up BIG-TIME.

Now, he can admit that he messed up big-time and take the best offer that he can before sinks even further by grabbing the Bills' offer before they decide to spend that money on other players--which they already have indicated that they are ready to begin doing. But, he probably won't do that.

Because now it's not just all about the money, but about saving face after messing up so bad, his agent is probably going to call the Jets, Miami and everyone in the book to see if he can get someone to give Coles even a little bit more than the Bills have offered. Good luck.

With the Jets having laid out as much as they have for Scott, Sheppard and any former Raven that they can bring into the fold, it's unlikely that they will give Coles the same amount that they let him walk away from. Why should they? They didn't let him walk away from that deal because they liked him--it was strictly a business deal where they figured that they could use at least some of that money elsewhere (and perhaps replace Coles with Toomer, who might find it attractive not to retire or move, or Harrison, who has business interests in Philly, for less). Knowing how little interest he has generated in the FA market, why should they match what the offer that they let him walk away from when they know that he is desperate? The same applies to the Dolphins.

With the Giants saying that they are willing to let P.Burress come back, the market for Coles is shrinking. To save face, he and his agent may want to wait until even the preseason begins to see if some team gets desperate enough to give them a long-term deal if someone goes down. But, every day that goes by Coles' price goes down for this year. And, it should.

If this is what Coles and his agent want to do, for their parts, the Bills not only have no choice but to let him, but they should start to move on--which it appears that they are starting to do with the signing of Florence and the impending visits of June, K.Jones and M.Peterson. If Coles doesn't get back to them and sign soon and some of these other players do sign with the team, by the time Coles does check back in with them he just may find that they will have lessened their offer, if not pulled it off the table completely.

And, if that happens, who can blame the Bills for doing that? With all of the other holes that they have to address this offseason, it's what they should do if he doesn't sign on the dotted line soon.
As always, GREAT POST! I have been wondering where you were over the last few months. I know I said it before, but it sure is good to have you back again. :bf1:

tat2dmike77
03-04-2009, 11:02 AM
Personally it's time to move on from Coles. You can get a good WR in the 2nd RD with this year draft class.

Goobylal
03-04-2009, 11:20 AM
Word I've heard is the Bills will be bringing-in another WR at the end of the week, which could be the "deadline" for Coles. I don't know how or when though.

Tatonka
03-04-2009, 11:58 AM
just ditch him and grab crabtree at #11

The Spaz
03-04-2009, 12:01 PM
just ditch him and grab crabtree at #11

If he's there sure. I know about his injury but if he checks out he won't be. I am a fan of Maclin as well.